Catholic Priest still Believes, but not in Jesus

Atheistextremist
atheistSilver Member
Atheistextremist's picture
Posts: 5102
Joined: 2009-09-17
User is offlineOffline
Catholic Priest still Believes, but not in Jesus

 

 

Sacked Catholic priest Peter Kennedy says he hasn't given up on God and prayer, but no longer believes in Jesus.

Father Kennedy, dismissed by the church for unorthodox practices, says he now considers Jesus "a fable".

The rebel priest made headlines in 2009 when he formed a congregation in exile.

He was earlier sacked by the church for unorthodox practices such as allowing women to preach the homily and blessing same-sex relationships.

Fr Kennedy says he still believes in God, just not a God who intervenes in the affairs of humans.

"It's true I've given up on that sort of a God, that sort of a 'being' that sits up there in heaven somewhere and intervenes in human affairs," he said today.

"If you believe in a God that intervenes into human history why didn't God intervene in the massacre in Norway? Whatever God is, God is not that sort of God, obviously.

"That's what I'm trying to say."

Fr Kennedy said he still believed in prayer, but not asking things of God.

"For me prayer is just standing in wonder and awe at the mystery of life, the beauty of life, the goodness of people."

Praying in church was not about talking directly to God, he said.

"It (public prayer) is about informing the community of people within the community and outside the community who are in need, it's not about informing God.

"God already knows all that, that's God."

But he said he had not believed in Jesus for some time, calling the son of God a "fable" and a "metaphor".

"There is no corroborating evidence for the existence of a person called Jesus," he said.

"The Gospels must not ever be taken literally. Scripture scholars tell us that.

"There's been 'dying, rising God-men' around for centuries before Christianity. All Christianity did was to take on those pagan, then Jewish, mysteries.

"He's a parable, he's a metaphor in a sense."

Fr Kennedy is still highly critical of the Catholic Church, but says he does not hold a grudge against retiring Brisbane Archbishop John Bathersby.

"John Bathersby is a very decent human being ... his theology and my theology are different," he said.

"I did publicly talk about that I held no grudges against John whatsoever.

"I mean in the beginning I was angry because of what I perceived as an injustice to the community. Now he doesn't see it that way and that's fine.

"But with our new bishop the people will not be consulted ... even though they (the Church) said yesterday that the laity will be consulted, they won't be consulted.

"I mean two or three good Catholics might be consulted but it means nothing.

"We live in a very clerical church and the people have no say in the election of their bishops. And they have no say in the dismissal of their bishops."

 

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/priest-still-believes-but-not-in-jesus-20110727-1hzmc.html?from=smh_ft

 

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck


HumanVuvuzela
atheistSilver Member
HumanVuvuzela's picture
Posts: 93
Joined: 2011-04-24
User is offlineOffline
Australian god?

Atheistextremist wrote:

 

Fr Kennedy says he still believes in God, just not a God who intervenes in the affairs of humans.

"It's true I've given up on that sort of a God, that sort of a 'being' that sits up there in heaven somewhere and intervenes in human affairs," he said today.

"If you believe in a God that intervenes into human history why didn't God intervene in the massacre in Norway? Whatever God is, God is not that sort of God, obviously.

 

 

Awesome - a god with an Australian attitude to work! "I'm just going to sit back with my feet up, and if people pray to me I might listen, if I can be f*cked.... get me another beer, love. Public holiday tomorrow." 

 

 


Atheistextremist
atheistSilver Member
Atheistextremist's picture
Posts: 5102
Joined: 2009-09-17
User is offlineOffline
Not just an

HumanVuvuzela wrote:

Atheistextremist wrote:

 

Fr Kennedy says he still believes in God, just not a God who intervenes in the affairs of humans.

"It's true I've given up on that sort of a God, that sort of a 'being' that sits up there in heaven somewhere and intervenes in human affairs," he said today.

"If you believe in a God that intervenes into human history why didn't God intervene in the massacre in Norway? Whatever God is, God is not that sort of God, obviously.

 

 

Awesome - a god with an Australian attitude to work! "I'm just going to sit back with my feet up, and if people pray to me I might listen, if I can be f*cked.... get me another beer, love. Public holiday tomorrow." 

 

 

 

An Australian god. He's a bloody queenslander. In any case, the conservative catholic faith is very strong in Brisbane where poor father Kennedy saw the apparition of jesus on his vegemite toast...

 

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck


Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
Posts: 4214
Joined: 2008-11-11
User is offlineOffline
p { margin-bottom: 0.08in; }

p { margin-bottom: 0.08in; }

OK I am not really familiar with the case. However, doesn't the RCC insist on building a fire around heretics?


 

That and it would be total fail if I did not make the obvious Monty Python joke here:


 

Customer: 'e is an 'eretic.

Clerk: are all your pets called Eric?

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=


Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
Posts: 4214
Joined: 2008-11-11
User is offlineOffline
Bloody hell, my brother has

Bloody hell, my brother has raised the bar:

Nobody expects the congregation of the doctrine of the faith.

Burning at the stake is not enough for him! He needs to sit in the comfy chair and be poked with the soft cushions.

 

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=