Hi

FlorenceHamilton
User is offlineOffline
Hi

Hi. My name is Flo and I am an atheist. 

I was born and raised a secular, but cultural Jew in the Middle Atlantic region of the United States. The whole god thing never made a lot of sense to me, but I still feel ok about my ethnic heritage. 

The whole religion thing scares the hack out of me, especially the wave of Christian Conservatism that is taking hold across this country. I grew up in the birthplace of the United States. I raised my family near the place that changed the course of the Revolution on Chirstmas morning. My relationship with the founders of my country is personal. And I know that they created this place to have a wall between religion and government. They were specifically NOT creating a Christian nation. The reason why the word "creator" was used and not "God" was to keep it vague and allow for any citizen to interpret this his own way.

This was intended to be a secular nation. The whole point was NOT to have a national religion. The whole Christian political doctrine just makes me furious.

Other than that, I am a nice lady who has raised 3 responsible and level headed children. They are productive young adults raised by two atheist parents.

I am also a scientist. And a physician. Creation is religion. Evolution is science. Period.

Anyway, I was reading "The Unlikely Disciple" and discovered this group.

I am glad you are here.

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome Flo!It's great to

Welcome Flo!

It's great to see a person like yourself join the forum. You should fit right in, very nicely. Many of us share the exact same feelings you do, about theism.

Look forward to seeing you post in the forums.

Cheers

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
welcome to the forum, I hope

welcome to the forum, I hope to hear more from you.

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hi, and welcome!You sound

Hi, and welcome!

You sound like someone who could fit in well on this site.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

BenfromCanada
atheist
BenfromCanada's picture
User is offlineOffline
Greetings, Flo. You seem

Greetings, Flo. You seem awesome, eh?

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hey there, Florence.

You speak our language. 

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
FlorenceHamilton wrote: Hi.

FlorenceHamilton wrote:

I was born and raised a secular, but cultural Jew in the Middle Atlantic region of the United States. The whole god thing never made a lot of sense to me, but I still feel ok about my ethnic heritage. 

The whole religion thing scares the hack out of me, especially the wave of Christian Conservatism that is taking hold across this country. I grew up in the birthplace of the United States. I raised my family near the place that changed the course of the Revolution on Chirstmas morning. My relationship with the founders of my country is personal. And I know that they created this place to have a wall between religion and government. They were specifically NOT creating a Christian nation. The reason why the word "creator" was used and not "God" was to keep it vague and allow for any citizen to interpret this his own way.

This was intended to be a secular nation. The whole point was NOT to have a national religion. The whole Christian political doctrine just makes me furious.

Other than that, I am a nice lady who has raised 3 responsible and level headed children. They are productive young adults raised by two atheist parents.

I am also a scientist. And a physician. Creation is religion. Evolution is science. Period.

I am glad you are here.

If your name is Flo, you are not a scientist, you are a waitress and you work at Mel's Diner.

Ok ok, I am dating myself a bit.

Welcome.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hi, and welcome.I have also

Hi, and welcome.

I have also raised three awesome boys in an atheist household.  And I really enjoy and try to emulate Maxine.  I'm in Portland, OR, and currently - everlastingly it is beginning to seem - unemployed.  I was IT system administrator in that previous life.  I'm going back to college for something to do and for student loans.

Post often. 

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the forum.

Welcome to the forum.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

FlorenceHamilton
User is offlineOffline
Brian37

Brian37 wrote:

FlorenceHamilton wrote:

I am glad you are here.

If your name is Flo, you are not a scientist, you are a waitress and you work at Mel's Diner.

Ok ok, I am dating myself a bit.

Welcome.

I am as dated as you are. My real name is not Flo, of course. I think of that whenever I use this pseudonym. The name has meaning to me and works well to completely not fit my true persona.

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline

I can go with the Flo,  welcome to the forums.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?