User is offlineOffline
Noam Chomsky on Darwinism

Did you see this ~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjermDZ1qfI  

Fixed your link for you.  AIGS

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Interesting, except for that

Interesting, except for that it fails to take into account that the "rich and famous" don't always stay that way long enough to propagate the ideas.  Often when the "rich and famous" are dethroned the revolutionary opposite ideas go in place.

"Don't seek these laws to understand. Only the mad can comprehend..." -- George Cosbuc

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
I can't get that to come up

I can't get that to come up with a specific video, it just drops back to own home YouTube page.

Was their some title on the video, or some particular interviewer, or some specific note or description o the video? Because I can bring up a list of videos with Chomsky.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline
BobSoence1 Wrote: your own home YouTube page

Sorry about that, I don't know what happened ? Try this, go to YouTube and type in Chomsky on Darwinism, I guess ?

Signature ? How ?

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Got it, I'm pretty sure:

Got it, I'm pretty sure: 'Noam Chomsky - on Darwinsm'

A bit of "D'uh", but also a bit of misunderstanding. Not everything that favours the 'rich and famous' will spread because of that.

Whatever ideas assist a particular society or significant sub-set of society to survive are ideas that propagate. I don't think active suppression by "the rich and famous" is a big factor.

But actually ideas can survive even if they are not particularly beneficial to individuals, all that is required is that they are appealing to some part of our mind, or seem like they 'should work' , and especially if they motivate us to pass them on. This is meme theory. See Susan Blackmore, "The Meme Machine'.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline
Ktulu wrote: "rich and famous" are dethroned

Well, in my humble opinion, the "rich and famous"  seems to, hold on to 'Money & Power' for centuries,longer than most 'Radical Ideas' .

Signature ? How ?

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 Wrote:I don't think suppression by the "R&F" .......

Well, in my humble opinion, suppression by the "Rich & Famous" is a HUGE factor, the "Rich & Famous" controls a lot of the text books that our young depend on for school, they control a lot of advertisement, media, etc. I know what your saying,but Memes can only propagate from the information that's around at the time before you, so if its bad info, it also makes sense to think that the Memes that are passed on are bad ones, really .  PS ~ As Noam points out, at the end of the video, that has nothing to do with the reality of the world, that has to do with how "power functions".

Signature ? How ?

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline
AIGS wrote: Fixed your link for you.

Why THANK YOU ! 

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
I agree that the "R & F" can

I agree that the "R & F" can have a huge influence in certain areas, but I feel there are quite a few other aspects of life that are not so dominated by the influence of such people.

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:there are a guite a few other aspects of life

Yes, indeed. The Rich and Privilege in our society can only try to influence you with stuff and non-sense,but we also have our parents, uncles and aunts, Grandma and Grandpa, etc., who we ought to depend on more for our survival.

Signature ? How ?