My Personal Story and Witness Account

keithd_22448
Theist
User is offlineOffline
My Personal Story and Witness Account

Hi all,

I was just browsing around the web and stumbled across this site. Personally, I wouldn't be able to make my points against Atheism on this board with the Theistic knowledge I have. However, what I can tell you is my own personal story and I don't see how anyone could argue that since I am in fact me! And I will gladly be put under oath stating that I am me 

As a Christian, I am at a minimum called to be a witness for Christ. My only hope is for anyone who doesn't believe that my words will give them something to think about. So here it goes.

I grew up the youngest of nine children in South Texas (5 sisters, 3 brothers). We were by no means rich but we never missed a meal. My mother is Catholic and I was raised such (more on this later). I attended Catholic school and Church growing up. My father was a decent man but no churchgoer. He loved cigarettes and the beer can a little more that he should have. He died when I was 7 years old of basically bad health due to the drinking and smoking all of his life.

Not having a father from that point impacted me a heck of a lot more than I could have imagined at the time. Aside from not having the appropriate discipline, there are certain things a young boy needs that only a father can provide (children need fathers and not just the weekend visitor type either). I really missed out on the fun and times that my older brothers had.

Going on through life, I always just felt a little bit strange. I can't really explain it but the best analogy I've heard is that I was a square peg trying to fit in a round hole. I was horribly skinny and constantly teased about it. I had friends and such but I just usually retreated my my bedroom when I got home from school. I never really liked school and all of the "normal" kids that went there. My mom remarried a few years later but he ended up dying too.

In High School, I was miserable.  I didn't want to drop out but I didn't want to stay either. So I doubled my efforts in class and voluntarily took summer school just so I could graduate early. During this time, I had fallen in love with my fathers first love...good old beer can! That stuff did for me what nothing or no one else could have. I really took away the square peg feelings I constantly had. By this point, I had really rejected God. I couldn't imagine feeling the ways I did and God letting it all happen.

Upon graduation I joined the Navy. I really wanted to get out of my environment and start fresh. I thought the Navy would do that for me. And it did. Unfortunately I took me along. It wasn't until later in life that I realized that I was a large source of my problems. At this point though I worked hard and partied even harder. The Navy was a good place to do that. Their checks didn't bounce and I advanced quicker than my peers. The problem was that the booze wasn't hiding those feelings of inadequacy anymore. Sooner or later I had to face myself and quit running.

By this point I was in terrible shape in the physical, emotional, and spiritual sense. I was just a shell of a person and had nothing inside of me that was worth living for. For these last couple of years I just wanted to die and would have welcomed it but I wasn't brave enough to just blow my brains out.

One morning when I woke up, I started to walk across the room and things just started going black in my vision until finally everything was black. I fell to this floor but I don't know what really happened or how long I was out. I came to in severe shakes, cold sweat, and scared to death. I was on my back staring at the celing and I just knew that this wasn't the way things were supposed to be. I said thie simplest prayer that any man can say and that's "God, help me". He answers those prayers immediately and we completely abandon ourselves to him.

I'd like to tell you that things got better that second and I lived happily ever after but that only happens in story books. Over the course of the next few weeks, God put people in my life that were there to help me. I know it had to be Him because there were just too many odd coincidences going on for them to all be coincidences. I found myself going through an alcohol out patient treatment, and there were good Christian men and women put in my life to help me along. People who didn't judge me, only wanted to help me. I accepted Jesus as my savior shortly thereafter. The horrible, sinful life that I lived was washed away. It's good how this works..that no matter what our past was like, our future is still spotless.

I have a life today that I could not have designed or asked for (and to be honest, I don't think I would have wanted it earlier in life). I got away from the Catholic church into a true Christian church that is focused on the Bible. My life is full and yet it still seems to get better. I got out of the Navy after nearly 9 years, have a great job, a wife and family, and all the feelings I had before our but distant memories. Every day is not a bed of roses in the least but my most difficult days today are at least bearable.

That's it in a nutshell. You can laugh at me if you want to but no man can argue the true genuine awakening within me. And the good news is that it's available to all those who want it..free of charge.

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
keithd_22448

keithd_22448 wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

Some forms of life can and do survive in the absence of free oxygen.

The consistent 'right-hand' chirality of life molecules simply follows once it starts reproducing, but the raw source of amino acids from which life emerged does not have to be only of that form.

They have done more than create an amino acid. Amino acids are already present in many parts of the universe. What they did was apply a simply set of processes of heating, evaporation, cooling, etc to a mix of amino acids and produced simple RNA molecules, the minimum starting point of life, molecules capable of self-replication. The conditions they applied were entirely in the range of what could have occurred on the early Earth. The precursor molecules they used have been identified in interstellar dust clouds, so they can clearly form naturally.

These only need to form in shaded pools or in the ocean for UV radiation from the Sun to be not a factor.

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2009/05/ribonucleotides/

No faith required.

Ok so assume that it happened as you said with no atmosphere and in shaded pools or ocean for UV radiation not to be a factor. How hospitable of an environment would the ocean or a shaded pool be if there were no atmosphere?

Where are you getting these ideas of what conditions on Earth were like when life emerged??

From http://www.scientificpsychic.com/etc/timeline/timeline.html

Quote:

- 3800 mya: Surface of the Earth changed from
    molten to solid rock.
 - Water started condensing in liquid form.
 - Earth day is 15 hours long
 - 3500 mya: Monocellular life started (Prokaryotes).
    First known oxygen-producing bacteria:
     cyanobacteria (blue-green algae) form stromatolites
 - 3000 mya: Atmosphere has 75% nitrogen,
    15% carbon dioxide.
 - Sun brightens to 80% of current level.
 - Oldest record of Earth's magnetic field.

and you can get a simiiar story here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_evolution

So science is saying that life didn't emerge until there were both oceans and atmosphere. So what is your problem?

BTW a God-style 'Creator' cannot explain where what exists came from, since a creator is by definition something that exists, and logically nothing can create itself.

There is no evidence that anything more that the lowest possible level of energy field was 'necessary' as a precursor to everything, so a Creator being is not only unnecessary, but is only a complication, something that makes things harder to explain in the context of current understanding of origins.

None of this is based on faith, but on a balance of probabilities based on searching for and evaluating all the available evidence. The only 'faith' involved would be that knowledge of reality is best gained from a direct study of reality, with the minimum of assumptions, and honestly following the evidence rather than our internal hopes and fantasies.

And of course, if there is somehow such a being overseeing everything, all the evidence that has some validation outside the world of fantasy and imagination is that such a being is an evil prankster, who treats us as his playthings to be tormented and tortured for his entertainment.

So your beliefs have absolutely no merit as explanations of existence or morality.

Faith is a substitute for knowledge, not a source of knowledge.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

keithd_22448
Theist
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1

BobSpence1 wrote:

keithd_22448 wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

The consistent 'right-hand' chirality of life molecules simply follows once it starts reproducing, but the raw source of amino acids from which life emerged does not have to be only of that form.

They have done more than create an amino acid. Amino acids are already present in many parts of the universe. What they did was apply a simply set of processes of heating, evaporation, cooling, etc to a mix of amino acids and produced simple RNA molecules, the minimum starting point of life, molecules capable of self-replication. The conditions they applied were entirely in the range of what could have occurred on the early Earth. The precursor molecules they used have been identified in interstellar dust clouds, so they can clearly form naturally.

These only need to form in shaded pools or in the ocean for UV radiation from the Sun to be not a factor.

No faith required.

Ok so assume that it happened as you said with no atmosphere and in shaded pools or ocean for UV radiation not to be a factor. How hospitable of an environment would the ocean or a shaded pool be if there were no atmosphere?

Where are you getting these ideas of what conditions on Earth were like when life emerged??

From http://www.scientificpsychic.com/etc/timeline/timeline.html

Quote:

- 3800 mya: Surface of the Earth changed from
    molten to solid rock.
 - Water started condensing in liquid form.
 - Earth day is 15 hours long
 - 3500 mya: Monocellular life started (Prokaryotes).
    First known oxygen-producing bacteria:
     cyanobacteria (blue-green algae) form stromatolites
 - 3000 mya: Atmosphere has 75% nitrogen,
    15% carbon dioxide.
 - Sun brightens to 80% of current level.
 - Oldest record of Earth's magnetic field.

and you can get a simiiar story here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_evolution

So science is saying that life didn't emerge until there were both oceans and atmosphere. So what is your problem?

BTW a God-style 'Creator' cannot explain where what exists came from, since a creator is by definition something that exists, and logically nothing can create itself.

There is no evidence that anything more that the lowest possible level of energy field was 'necessary' as a precursor to everything, so a Creator being is not only unnecessary, but is only a complication, something that makes things harder to explain in the context of current understanding of origins.

And of course, if there is somehow such a being overseeing everything, all the evidence that has some validation outside theworld of fantasy and imagination is that such a being is an evil prankster, who treats us as his playtings to be tormented and tortured.

So your beliefs have absolutely no merit as explanations of existence or morality.

Faith is a substitute for knowledge, not a source of knowledge.

Those are some tall tales there. You'll buy timelines from someone who wasn't there, has an agenda, and theorizes this stuff? No science can prove this to the certainty that they proclaim. Considering this timeline portrays approx 3000 mya for the earths magenetic field, how strong would it have been since we know it decreases over time? Just like this Oort cloud.."We can't explain it so lets make up some stuff that no one can test or verify and hope no one thinks about it".

Again, you got more faith than I do. Here, sit down and read awhile: http://www.orionfdn.org/papers/index.htm

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Those are some tall tales

Quote:

Those are some tall tales there. You'll buy timelines from someone who wasn't there, has an agenda, and theorizes this stuff? No science can prove this to the certainty that they proclaim. Considering this timeline portrays approx 3000 mya for the earths magenetic field, how strong would it have been since we know it decreases over time. Just like this Oort cloud.."We can't explain it so lets make up some stuff and hope no one thinks about it".

Again, you got more faith than I do.

You are clearly projecting your mythical presuppositions onto this.

'God' and the creation story is by far the tallest tale involved here. What arguments do you have for your beliefs, apart from trying to discredit science?

The Earth's magnetic field does NOT 'decrease over time'. It changes more-or-less continually, and has many times gone through a near zero value as it changes polarity, as shown clearly by the evidence in the ocean floor spreading out from the mid-ocean ridges. It is indeed currently falling as it approaches its next reversal, after which it increase again. It seems to be formed by large electrical currents as the electrically conducting molten core of the Earth spins inside the magnetic field of the Sun.

You weren't there either, and you clearly have as much of an agenda as anyone, so that kind of comment betrays both your ignorance and unwillingness to honestly research the facts, as many of your mistaken statements about specific items make clear, such as the one about the Earth's magnetic field 'only decreasing' over time.

Your last comment far more clearly applies to religious faith than science. If it were true it would not explain how scientific theories are continually updated, occasionally overturned, by the other scientists, on the basis of better observations and new ideas. Scientists are thinking about it all the time, seeing if they can come up with a theory that fits the observation data even better than the existing consensus. If they can, there is probably a Nobel prize in it. Science relies on as many people as possible 'thinking about it' to test their theories to the max.

Whereas religious believers have often tended to go to war with or otherwise persecute and even kill those who don't believe exactly what they do.

Can the ideas about the composition of matter, the nature of electrical charge, etc, that led to the development of the technology we are currently using to discuss these ideas have just been 'made up', and therefore false??

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
keithd_22448 wrote:Those are

keithd_22448 wrote:

Those are some tall tales there. You'll buy timelines from someone who wasn't there, has an agenda, and theorizes this stuff? No science can prove this to the certainty that they proclaim. Considering this timeline portrays approx 3000 mya for the earths magenetic field, how strong would it have been since we know it decreases over time? Just like this Oort cloud.."We can't explain it so lets make up some stuff that no one can test or verify and hope no one thinks about it".

Again, you got more faith than I do. Here, sit down and read awhile: http://www.orionfdn.org/papers/index.htm

Wait, what? what did I miss.  You sir, have very poor reading comprehension.  We were discussing fundamental epistemology and you answered with this.

keithd_22448 wrote:

With regard to empirical science, I'm all for that. It's not what we see however, that we disagree about, it's how we fill in the gaps in the information we don't know. The Evolutionist/Big Banger starts out by totally elimintating the concept of a creator. When I see a system of systems working together with such order I cannot help but assume that there was a creator behind it. Here's an example: I go out to my car in the morning and drive to work. I see my car and its design and think "The guys at Ford did a good job making this". The evo/big banger cannot have a designer/creator behind it so he's left to assume that a tornado or other major event happened to a junk yard full of auto parts and, by chance, assembled the pieces and gave it the gas it needed to go all the while never able to explain how the junk yard came into being in the first place. To say that Science can't explain it now but one day it will is nothing more than a hope. You hope it does because the alternative for you is unthinkable. That there is a Creator and He has laws. The fear of changing your life, giving up on things you want to do that are contrary to His law, and fear of ridicule by peers keeps you in your present mind state (I've been there. I know what I'm talking about) . Do you see where I'm coming from now?

You say scientific method and empirical science as if there is a different way of experiencing reality.  

Here's what I wrote previously.

Ktulu wrote:

What we need to debate is the fundamental epistemology, what you constitute as knowledge.  You claim to have a different standard other than scientific.  But what is a scientific standard? What is science?  To me, science is just an attempt to explain natural phenomena.  Carry that back a step, how do you interpret natural phenomena? I, myself interpret it purely empirically.  In my mind's eye I have formed a self narrative that is based on symbols and concepts I have interpreted using my sense since birth.  I hope we agree so far, if not please enlighten me.

Ok, so now, we agree that science is nothing more than an explanation for stuff that is happening around you.  For you to state that you have a different standard of approaching space-time, matter and ultimately life, you must first explain to me how you arrive at such a standard without using your sense.  Do you get this information via telepathy? or are you endowed with more sense than us atheists perhaps.  If you only have your five sense to rely on, than everything that you use to create your standard is of nature, and hence scientific.  

You have failed to address any one point I have made.  Let me rephrase this.  We both have science as our method of describing what we experience.  As far as quality of science is concerned, the more testable and falsifiable, and peer reviewed the theory, the better the quality and probability.  We are now talking about the same things and not comparing apples and oranges.  The science that I base my PoV on is of extremely higher quality than yours because it scores much higher in the aforementioned  categories (testable, falsifiable, peer reviewed).  Unless you can show me how your science scores higher, you have nothing but bad science to offer on par with voodoo and Saturday morning cartoons.  

"Don't seek these laws to understand. Only the mad can comprehend..." -- George Cosbuc

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
I use my senses, and compare

I use my senses, and compare what I can personally perceive directly, and with the help of microscopes, telescopes, and such things to augment my senses, with what other people who appear to have investigated particular things much more thoroughly than I have. I read from a wide selection of such sources, to guard against getting taken in by someone's 'pet' theory.

I have a background of a grounding in science and technology and math from my University Engineering degree, and I have been following the development of Science and Technology for around half a century.

It all hangs together pretty well, IMHO, and when I see and use things like giant airplanes, computers, 3D cinema, the modern world of mobile computers and cell-phones which allows me regularly to see and talk to people on the other side of the world while walking down the street, to reject the validity of Science seems just pathologically, willfully, blind.

I have seen with my own eyes thru a home telescope the rings of Saturn, so I can identify with Galileo in his evidence-based revelation, which the Church of his time, relying on their tradition of religious revelation and faith, stubbornly denied for centuries.

So Keith, what have you perceived with your own senses that you feel contradicts Science?? Did you see God or Jesus?

And just what do you personally find most unbelievable about the Oort cloud, or the accounts of the history of the Earth I pointed to?

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
keithd_22448

keithd_22448 wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

No faith required.

Ok so assume that it happened as you said with no atmosphere and in shaded pools or ocean for UV radiation not to be a factor.

lol...huh?

Oceans formed from the condensation of the earth's early atmosphere.

keithd_22448 wrote:
How hospitable of an environment would the ocean or a shaded pool be if there were no atmosphere?

Do you mean ozone layer?

keithd_22448 wrote:
A step further, could you even have an ocean or pool without atmosphere?

Do you even understand WTF you're talking about?...

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
keithd_22448 wrote: The

keithd_22448 wrote:
The natural state of man is evil..self centeredness/self serving, full of pride, lusts, envy and so on. 

Let's grant that 'man' is self centered/self serving. Would you not say that 'man' is also generous and giving?

Let's grant that 'man' has got pride. What about it?

Let's grant that 'man' has got lust/passion. What about it?

Let's grant that man ihas got envy. What about it?

Are you asserting that 'man' does not have any qualities that are in contrast to those?

keithd_22448 wrote:
We are not products of society, society is a product of us. 

So why do you wear clothes? Why do you cut your hair? Why do you eat cooked food, and from plates with utensils?

keithd_22448 wrote:
Reincarnation just sounds so ridiculous to me that I can't even imagine a god that would keep sending you through life as various creatures until you get it right.

But you've not shown why it's not possible.

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
keithd_22448 wrote: who on

keithd_22448 wrote:
who on this board has the mind of Hawking and can computate the things he does with the speed and accuracy he does?

Hawking doesn't work alone. He has mathematicians that he works with to test his hypotheses.

keithd_22448 wrote:
I'm willing to bet that there are none.

How is that relevant to anything you're arguing?

keithd_22448 wrote:
The thing with faith is that it completely levels the playing field.

I don't have 'faith' in doppler redshift. I understand doppler, and can measure it, and make 100% reliable predictions based in it's mechanics.

keithd_22448 wrote:
There are some things that science can never answer.

How do you know this?

Faith?

keithd_22448 wrote:
God purposely puts these stumbling blocks in front of us.

How do you know this?

keithd_22448 wrote:
With regard to empirical science, I'm all for that. It's not what we see however, that we disagree about

False.

I see and understand plenty that you apparently don't.

keithd_22448 wrote:
...it's how we fill in the gaps in the information we don't know.

You're conflating science with theories, and using the terms interchangeably.

That demonstrates that you are either equivocating, or ignorant, and don't know what you're talking about.

keithd_22448 wrote:
The Evolutionist/Big Banger starts out by totally elimintating the concept of a creator.

Case in point. You're conflating and being equivocal.

The facts demonstrate that the universe is expanding. That says nothing about where the particles and forces came from.

keithd_22448 wrote:
When I see a system of systems working together with such order I cannot help but assume that there was a creator behind it.

That's probably due to the fact that you're superstitious and highly ignorant. Most scientists aren't.

39 studies since 1927 show an inverse connection between religiosity and intelligence/education.

http://www.atheist-reference.org/component/content/article/61-religiosity-article-by-paul-g-bell

keithd_22448 wrote:
Here's an example: I go out to my car in the morning and drive to work. I see my car and its design and think "The guys at Ford did a good job making this".The evo/big banger cannot have a designer/creator behind it so he's left to assume that a tornado or other major event happened to a junk yard full of auto parts and, by chance, assembled the pieces and gave it the gas it needed to go all the while never able to explain how the junk yard came into being in the first place.

lmao....what?

The evo/big banger cannot have Ford guys who are Ford makers?

keithd_22448 wrote:
  You hope it does because the alternative for you is unthinkable.

You mean we deny Ford and preach Chevy?....lmao

keithd_22448 wrote:
...there is a Creator and He has laws.

How do you know?

keithd_22448 wrote:
... fear of ridicule by peers keeps you in your present mind state

I'm in science and technologies. Those are my peers, and I don't live in the South...lmao.

keithd_22448 wrote:
(I've been there. I know what I'm talking about) .

No, I doubt you're in science and technologies, and it's a fact that you don't have much education/knowledge.

keithd_22448 wrote:
Do you see where I'm coming from now?

Sure.

You're a dime a dozen garden variety theist who argues from ignorance and incredulity.

It's hardly remarkable given the culture, Bell Curve and the school system in America.

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
keithd_22448 wrote:The

keithd_22448 wrote:

The natural state of man is evil..self centeredness/self serving, full of pride, lusts, envy and so on. We are not products of society, society is a product of us. Islam/Allah requires true repentance/submission and good works to be saved. If you truly repent, you will never sin again. Given the natural state of man, this is impossible (there is no indwelling of any type thus muslims live 100% in the flesh) . There is no forgiveness of sin outside of this requirement thus salvation is impossible in Islam. I do not believe God made me just to condemn me.

Reincarnation just sounds so ridiculous to me that I can't even imagine a god that would keep sending you through life as various creatures until you get it right.

In Judeo Christianity, God knows our natural state and that salvation on our own is impossible. He sent his only begotten Son who lived a sinless life and willingly laid down his life as a perfect sacrifice. My sin was taken upon him on the cross and salvation is now possible if I so willingly believe this.

You see, these are many bare statements among countless other bare statements of many ideologies.They may be true, false, literal, metaphorical, technical, esoteric, original, ripped-off and accustomed to the local culture. And people can believe any and all of these, without discrimination. So belief is not very helpful. Shortly, you believe that the god temporarily sacrificed himself to himself, to save us from his punishment because he created us not good enough for the rules he made. Or some similar story based on your interpretation of scriptures.

This is why Buddha said: “Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.”

Btw, this reincarnation into animals is just a parable for superstitious Indian villagers. Reincarnation as understood by scholars is an extension of the law of karma, the cause and effect. How could an insect resolve causes and relationships that were made in human form? How could a human consciousness fit into much smaller nerve system? 
Simple minds react to simple but profound statements of sugar and whip, like eternal reward in heaven or eternal suffering in hell. People with the Law in their heart do not need any beliefs, they do what is necessary because it is right. We can find such people among atheists and theists alike, if their theism would be disproven, they would continue regardless of that.

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Keith,when you say things

Keith,

when you say things like "... fear of ridicule by peers keeps you in your present mind state", you simply reveal your deep ignorance of our actual outlook and point of view. You are purely speculating, since you cannot know my motives, any more than you could really know the motives of any assumed God being.

I try to avoid making such ignorant assertions about how and why believers actual see things from their personal PoV. I concentrate on the claims you make about the meaning and significance of what you have experienced.

I have already shown how you do not even know what Science actually claims on various specific topics, so you have no credibility, you seem to base your 'knowledge' of what science claims on sites like AnswersInGenesis, which have the most obvious agenda to discredit any science which seems to conflict with their faith-based ideas.

There is plenty of evidence and theory which shows how order emerges from disorder, given only a large number of interacting simple particles of only a few specific kinds. Just like a collection of identical spheres will naturally pack into a perfect geometrical pattern when shaken gently, whether on a flat sloping table, or in a three-dimensional pile, as one of the most basic examples. That is something you can see for yourself. You can also watch with your own eyes geometric shapes forming from a formless liquid as various simple chemicals crystallize out of solution.

You OTOH have to explain what caused God, without having actually seen him.

Whereas we have a framework (Science), based on evidence and logic and mathematics, which shows that such a being is simply not necessary to account for Life, the Universe, and Everything, you are the one who requires 'faith', ie a justification of blind ignorance, to hold a different position.

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
From a different angle, of

From a different angle, of personal testimony, I can recount an intense experience about 10 years ago as I felt myself finally purged of the last trace of any primitive regard for the ideas of God and religion. I was riding a taxi from the airport to my home after a wonderful SCUBA-diving holiday in the South Pacific nation of Vanuatu, where I had engaged in friendly discussion with a guy who was a believer. My mind had obviously been subconsciously wrestling with some of the points he raised, and had finally resolved them.

I am not going to claim outright that my 'transcendent' experience trumps any of yours, but I am just trying to get you to understand that religion has no monopoly on such experiences, which are clearly a fundamental capability of our minds, and can inspire entirely the opposite conclusion to yours.

I would also not take such experiences as proof of anything, other than the fact I just described, that they are a natural consequence of the way our minds work, and are probably a prime source and inspiration in many people for belief in God(s). Your particular life experience to that point will clearly largely determine the nature and direction of such experiences.

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
redneF

redneF wrote:

You're conflating science with theories, and using the terms interchangeably.

That demonstrates that you are either equivocating, or ignorant, and don't know what you're talking about.

I'm voting for deliberately ignorant.  If he bothered to use the brain his god supposedly gave him, he would get at least the basics of a science education and not be quite so full of lame ass long ago refuted arguments.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ktulu's right

in suggesting that this conversation is primarily about what constitutes evidence. What can we know and how can we know it? 

Keith, however, exhibits all the signs of a ferocious confirmation bias and the chances we will get through to him are rather low. 

It's interesting that sometimes folk have difficulty making distinctions between imagining knowable material things and imagining conceptual and/or imaginary things. 

Still. Remember how you said that scientific truths (testable explanations) do apply to actual things in the material world, Keith?

We simply apply that principle of how we can know something, to everything our sense data (enhanced by instruments at times) perceives. 

Additionally, when faced with a mystery we cannot answer, we say we don't know.  

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck