finished discussions

luca
atheist
User is offlineOffline
finished discussions

Has anyone ever found the "holy grail" of atheist/theist and evo/ID discussions? I mean a thread where effectively someone had a doubt or even saw reality right (or viceversa, sigh)...

luca
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Oops, I created the new

Oops, I created the new thread twice. I can't seem to find the way to delete it, so, a-hem, if someone else could do it for me.... thanks

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Not sure what you are

Not sure what you are getting at here. But it sounds to me like "Has anyone on either side found a magic bullet that would end the conflict?" Correct me if I am wrong.

But to answer what I think you are getting at.

YES, THERE IS A BULLET, BUT IT IS NOT MAGIC, nor is there a controversy. Science is the bullet to superstition and the cure for credulity.

Evolution is a fact. The fact that believers want to ignore it doesn't make it a controversy. It just means they still think the earth is flat and don't want to catch up with modern reality.

You can believe all you want, like the Ancient Egyptians did, that the sun was a god, but the sun, in reality is not a god.

Creating smoke and mirrors is what believers do because they don't want to face that reality is all there is and it frightens them that there is no Superman vs Kriptonite cause to nature or the universe.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

luca
atheist
User is offlineOffline

I'm not talking about that, I simply asked if some of these discussion ended properly. Not asking about a magic that can change people's brain, "just" a thread where someone changed his ideas (maybe just a little, just a comma in a sea of words...).

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
luca wrote:I'm not talking

luca wrote:
I'm not talking about that, I simply asked if some of these discussion ended properly. Not asking about a magic that can change people's brain, "just" a thread where someone changed his ideas (maybe just a little, just a comma in a sea of words...).

I think it happens all the time though not always right then. The best you should hope for is to make someone think after the "conversation" is over. Most people will defend a position rabidly even when they realize there may be some credibility to what the other person is saying.

My own idea's have changed and "evolved" heavily over the last 10 years. I used to be more of an idealist but now pragmatism and the "reality" of things are a bit more solid for me though I still try to be optimistic in most things that warrant it.

Btw evolution might be a silver bullet to "god" but he has been dodging it for years.

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin

luca
atheist
User is offlineOffline
axt

Ha, "god" might be dodging the silver bullet of evolution, but he must dodge axtheism too...

Anyway yeah, there's a lot of reflection after "after the "conversation" is over", and I agree with "My own idea's have changed and "evolved" heavily".

Still, to not have yet a well-concluded thread would mean that as humans we have a lot of ethics to evolve...

Usually the most difficult thing to do is *not* to conclude a discussion, but to carry on with it. And about this: was Mr_Metaphysics really banned?

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
robj101 wrote:I think it

robj101 wrote:
I think it happens all the time though not always right then. The best you should hope for is to make someone think after the "conversation" is over. Most people will defend a position rabidly even when they realize there may be some credibility to what the other person is saying.

This is particularly true when the "other person" appears to have credibility in their deconstruction of irrational beliefs, and another individual has their ego deeply entrenched with said beliefs.

Quote:
Btw evolution might be a silver bullet to "god" but he has been dodging it for years.

He hasn't just been dodging it, nor is it a "silver bullet" or anything close, in terms of religion. "God" -more specifically, Judaism and Christianity- has been assimilating and adapting to scientific findings  regarding evolution, as well as the age of the universe, the (somewhat unwieldy) possibility of multiple universes, and the Theory of Everything/Unified Field Theory.

And now, there are at least dozens of millions of jews and christians who believe in science as reported by actual scientists, not by weathermen, partisan hacks, ideology, or religious ministers. It's likely these same set of people treat the Bible as allegorical, are not biblical literalists, etc.

The only thing evolution and other scientific findings like it do, is challenge and render obsolete some of the more asinine and misguided declarations found in the 'sacred texts'.

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kapkao wrote: The only

Kapkao wrote:

The only thing evolution and other scientific findings like it do, is challenge and render obsolete some of the more asinine and misguided declarations found in the 'sacred texts'.

I would say evolution is a silver bullet for creationism and I think it is. A lot of christians now think the creation story is not literal whereas before the theory of evolution came about most would have said the earth was created in 6 days.

They "work with" real scientific evidence and make it fit. If they can't make it fit with "reinterpretation" or whatever, which is fairly rare, then it either has to go away or they have to deny the science.

Religion is a big LIE that you have to keep going by making square shit fit in round holes. Science is exposing more of those holes as round but in most cases you can still squeeze the shit through unless it's a really big shit. Even when they squeeze it through it usually leaves residual shit around the edges everyone can see.

It also leaves them with really bad breath.

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
I still think that evolution

I still think that evolution did not, and does not, 'kill' creationist beliefs, or directly disprove religion, it just cuts the ground from under one of the biggest arguments for 'God', namely as an 'explanation' for the incredible diversity and complexity of Life, by providing an alternative, natural explanation.

It goes further, of course, in explaining why there are many examples of very much less-than-perfect 'designs'. This is the strongest argument against the attempt by less 'fundy' believers to paint 'evolution' as the tool God uses to 'design' life.

It also explains why there are so many examples of different species living in essentially the same ecological 'niche', or even just minor but measureable differences in what appear to be the same species on neighbouring islands or valleys in the same region. This doesn't really present a big problem to believers, altho it was what triggered Darwin to first begin to wonder why a creator would do that.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:I still

BobSpence1 wrote:

I still think that evolution did not, and does not, 'kill' creationist beliefs, or directly disprove religion, it just cuts the ground from under one of the biggest arguments for 'God', namely as an 'explanation' for the incredible diversity and complexity of Life, by providing an alternative, natural explanation.

It goes further, of course, in explaining why there are many examples of very much less-than-perfect 'designs'. This is the strongest argument against the attempt by less 'fundy' believers to paint 'evolution' as the tool God uses to 'design' life.

It also explains why there are so many examples of different species living in essentially the same ecological 'niche', or even just minor but measureable differences in what appear to be the same species on neighbouring islands or valleys in the same region. This doesn't really present a big problem to believers, altho it was what triggered Darwin to first begin to wonder why a creator would do that.

Then why do they fight it so. It's an obvious direct attack on their "sensibilities" where the creation story is concerned. We just need more bullets and science will likely provide the ammo given time.

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think their biggest

I think their biggest problem with evolution is that it has us as part of the 'animal kingdom'.

Some God believers are OK with evolution as applied to the rest of life on earth, but would much prefer to see us a 'special' or 'separate' creation.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
Another bullseye for

Another bullseye for BobSpence1.

They really have some deep rooted issues with considering themselves 'animals'. You hear the terms 'like animals', or 'animalistic' in their rhetoric all the time, particularly when it comes to sex, which is their other major hangup.

Religions are extremely elitist. It's all about being 'more equal' than others.

It's a very bizarre obsession they have with being exceptional, while at the same time, proudly desiring to be 'lesser' submissives to a sadistic 'Master'. The part that really sticks out in my mind, the more I read, and the more debates I listen to on YouTube and such, is how they champion and campaign for the positive 'loving' image of their sadistic, evil, malevolent 'Master'.

The cognitive dissonance when I listen to it, is glaring, and quite disturbing.

You can put lipstick on a pig as much as you want, but it still smells like shit.

The bible is nothing more than couching the hatred and central themes of killing those that are 'less than ideal' in a story book peppered with delusions of 'love' and 'compassion'.

It's a total con job.

The complete hatred and desire to see others suffer becomes extremely apparent when you listen to the hard core Christians like the Westboro Baptists, but it's even there among the more moderate Christians.

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
robj101 wrote:Kapkao

robj101 wrote:

Kapkao wrote:

I would say evolution is a silver bullet for creationism and I think it is.

Except you didn't say "creationism" originally. Moving goalposts a bit, hmmm?

Quote:
They "work with" real scientific evidence and make it fit. If they can't make it fit with "reinterpretation" or whatever, which is fairly rare, then it either has to go away or they have to deny the science.

Yeah, pretty much. What do you think intelligent design is? It's evolution enabled by an invisible magic dude.

Quote:
Religion is a big LIE that you have to keep going by making square shit fit in round holes. Science is exposing more of those holes as round but in most cases you can still squeeze the shit through unless it's a really big shit. Even when they squeeze it through it usually leaves residual shit around the edges everyone can see.

Oh yes, which eventually leads you to deism, ie theism without religion. Deism is super flexible, as their is no specific dogma to deconstruct.

edit; shit, Bobspence beat me to it.

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kapkao wrote: Yeah, pretty

Kapkao wrote:

Yeah, pretty much. What do you think intelligent design is? It's evolution enabled by an invisible magic dude.

From what I gather there is no real evolution involved in intelligent design. There is still a magical dude that created everything with intent which goes against evolution and natural selection.

The main difference in creationism and intelligent design: creationism= god did it, intelligent design= a god did it and we could guess which one.

I know personally a few christians that "believe" in evolution..for everything but humans. I don't know any who think we evolved from primates.

ex-minister
atheistHigh Level Moderator
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
Taming the Wild Fundie

I think I have had a few experiences of this.

I blogged about one interaction submitted for your consideration. I entitled it Taming The Wild Fundie.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/2011/06/taming-wild-fundie.html

On the other side when I was a fundie minister I meet this very pleasant young couple who I forget how I met but they invited me into their home. I met them a couple of times and I tried to convert them to "the" faith (my faith-the right one of course). The husband said the thing he needed to understand is how can there be so much pain in the world and there be a loving, perfect god.

I bought them C.S. Lewis' Problem of Pain and did lots of research on the subject and we talked. We eventually parted ways on friendly terms but I walked away with a big crack in my facade which I sincerely doubted they noticed. I certainly wouldn't want to intimate it because I didn't want to burn in the lake of fire. 

It was religion itself that threw me. As I commented in my blog, being a thinking  Christian is a hard thing to do. After I left fundie-land,  evolution was the cherry on the top. It was never a persuasive point in my de-conversion, but then again I was only reading what fundamentalist wrote about evolution and didn't get it in school. 

I am blown away how much more evidence there is now for evolution than there was decades ago. Today I would have a harder time dismissing it.

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/

ex-minister
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
redneF wrote:Religions are

redneF wrote:

Religions are extremely elitist. It's all about being 'more equal' than others.

It's a very bizarre obsession they have with being exceptional, while at the same time, proudly desiring to be 'lesser' submissives to a sadistic 'Master'.

ego-maniacs with an inferiority complex.

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

luca
atheist
User is offlineOffline
so no discussions concluded?

Quote:
I think their biggest problem with evolution is that it has us as part of the 'animal kingdom'.

Some God believers are OK with evolution as applied to the rest of life on earth, but would much prefer to see us a 'special' or 'separate' creation.

In my experience, a lot of believers have a problem with what moral the evolution (they think it) "teaches": kill to survive. The strong kills the weak.

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
luca wrote:Quote:I think

luca wrote:
Quote:
I think their biggest problem with evolution is that it has us as part of the 'animal kingdom'. Some God believers are OK with evolution as applied to the rest of life on earth, but would much prefer to see us a 'special' or 'separate' creation.
In my experience, a lot of believers have a problem with what moral the evolution (they think it) "teaches": kill to survive. The strong kills the weak.

It is not about individual survival, it is about who has the most surviving offspring.

'Killing the weak' is usually done by predators, and can actually be important - when 'top predators' are removed, such as when humans remove species such as wolves, their prey species often tend to suffer as more less 'fit' individuals survive.

But within a social species, like ourselves, most apes and monkeys, wolves, herding animals, etc, cooperation, especially helping look after the kids, works toward helping the species survive much more so than killing off weak individuals.

'Killing to survive' really only applies to killing off competing species or predators, not so much individuals within the group.

ex-minister
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
This is one of those

This is one of those christian things where they turn an argument against christianity against non-believers.
The whole foundation of the judeo-christian faith is something has to die and brutally so in order for some one who is undeserving is permitted to live.

Christianity is a death cult. They praise his death and wear crosses and have to weep because he is so perfect and they are so undeserving.

I think evolution is about life and mixture of genes. Natural selection requires death but not in the ugly and mind f@cking way religion does.

Religion Kills !!!

luca
atheist
User is offlineOffline
science

Quote:
It is not about individual survival, it is about who has the most surviving offspring.

'Killing the weak' is usually done by predators, and can actually be important - when 'top predators' are removed, such as when humans remove species such as wolves, their prey species often tend to suffer as more less 'fit' individuals survive.

But within a social species, like ourselves, most apes and monkeys, wolves, herding animals, etc, cooperation, especially helping look after the kids, works toward helping the species survive much more so than killing off weak individuals.

'Killing to survive' really only applies to killing off competing species or predators, not so much individuals within the group.

I would say it's about the better genes, hehe.
I was just saying that theists pretend evIlution teaches a deprecable moral.
And by the way, apparently we are at the top of the food chain, but are we not prey of viruses?

Quote:
I think evolution is about life and mixture of genes. Natural selection requires death but not in the ugly and mind f@cking way religion does.

If you want to udnerstand what life is, read "the third revolution" of deludedgod on this forum. Long (over 22k words) but necessary.

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
luca wrote: I would say

luca wrote:
 I would say it's about the better genes, hehe.

That's a common misconception about the random nature of natural selection.

Natural selection is not about 'survival of the fittest'. Natural selection is a succinct phrase to describe the circumstantial way all things evolved.

luca wrote:
I was just saying that theists pretend evIlution teaches a deprecable moral.

That just demonstrates just how dishonest and corrosive the church is (and always was) to understanding and pursuit of 'truth', and education. They are in every sense of the word, about brainwashing and cultivating ignorance in their 'sheep'.

It's really not until the last century or so that they've really started to lose their grip, in 1st world countries, and more secular based societies.

The beauty is, is that the internet is difficult to stop. The inquisitive nature of minds is incredibly difficult to stop. It's a perfect combination for the eventually decline of religion into the ranks of astrology and fairy tale characters.

luca wrote:
And by the way, apparently we are at the top of the food chain, but are we not prey of viruses?

Of course. It's completely illusory to think if ourselves that way. We are really only made out of pencil lead after all, and will eventually be simply worm food...lol

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
You can certainly look at

You can certainly look at evolution from the 'perspective' of the genes, because that is what ultimately has to be successfully replicated.

That was of course the idea Dawkins put forward in "The Selfish Gene".

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
robj101 wrote:From what I

robj101 wrote:
From what I gather there is no real evolution involved in intelligent design. There is still a magical dude that created everything with intent which goes against evolution and natural selection.

The main difference in creationism and intelligent design: creationism= god did it, intelligent design= a god did it and we could guess which one.

I'm not familiar with the specifics of ID, as it seemed little else besides a (poorly disguised) trojan means of weaseling in some religion in classrooms.

Quote:
I know personally a few christians that "believe" in evolution..for everything but humans. I don't know any who think we evolved from primates.

Well, there's only a handful of animals that most closely resemble us, there's one animal that shares 97% of our DNA, and there's a cousin species of that one animal that can be tracked from 6-5 mya via fossils to Australipithicus to Homo and finally... humans.

But then, on the other hand, members of the Abrahamic religions are hardly unique in considering themselves a special case.