religious 12-step groups

movemens
User is offlineOffline
religious 12-step groups

Having within the past year joined an Al-Anon group for help with issues in my personal life, I am struggling with the religious content. Anybody else have these issues with 12-step programs?

I've heard there are some AA groups that are atheist (not sure about Al-Anon, which is for friends and family members of drinkers/addicts) but I live in a small town and I think my best bet for now is sticking with the current group. Maybe it's a good exercise in civil discourse and friendly tolerance. But sometimes I resent the need to be tolerant when at various times certain other members have singled me out and made me very uncomfortable with the religious issue. Part of me just wants to quit the group, but there's enough value there that I think I'll stick with it for a while.

Any kind, thoughtful feedback is welcome.

"Love is everywhere, I believe it." John Denver

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
There was a recent

There was a recent discussion here:

http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/29657

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline
cj wrote: There was a recent discussion here:

Thank You cj ! Thats what I was going to suggest, but my computer is running funny,every time that I try to post a link, it fails ? Like I've said before, this computer needs to be looked at,by someone who's a pro.

Signature ? How ?

movemens
User is offlineOffline
Wow, that's timely. Thanks

Wow, that's timely. Thanks to both of you.

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ken G. wrote:  Thank You cj

Ken G. wrote:

Thank You cj ! Thats what I was going to suggest, but my computer is running funny,every time that I try to post a link, it fails ? Like I've said before, this computer needs to be looked at,by someone who's a pro.

If you were down the street, I would be happy to take a gander.  As it is.....

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

movemens
User is offlineOffline
Wow, I'm being completely

Wow, I'm being completely ignored.