Close your eyes and listen.

NoMoreCrazyPeople
atheistSuperfan
NoMoreCrazyPeople's picture
User is offlineOffline
Close your eyes and listen.

I heard this song in a movie I was watching and had to get on my piano immidiatly and figure out the chords and play with it to a beat.  This song is absolutely beauitiful, I mean really!!!  This is beauty in musical form.  As a musician I would rate this song a 10 out of 10, you can write 100 songs with everything you got and never hit the "soul" like this does, mmmm, just mmmmm...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWIbTYLNezQ 

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
 It's a lovely song, the

It's a lovely song, the singing conveys so much emotion... 

Usually I prefer instrumentals, IMO a song with lyrics has to make compromises between melody and singing, so I choose melody. But I can't stand much classical music, it often changes the key (or "mood" of the music) for no reason at all. 

My favorites are these two. Denis Asher Quinn can be a terribly cheesy New Age composer, but some of his instrumentals are beautiful. Specially this one, that's something for my melancholic gut. 

And then there is this young talent who apparently makes a piano zodiac suite. (not that he believes it) This piece is for Pisces, my sun sign. I must say, he's perfectly right on. He says it's mainly in E flat minor and C flat major or something. 

NMCP, can you tell me if Asha's song is in any similar key or something? I'm way too picky, usually I want just a music in these special melancholic keys or moods, no matter what genre. And some complexity or experiments, if possible. It must resonate with my neurons near pleasure centers or something. The fun thing is, that most of electronic psychedelic ambient music is pretty much like that. I wonder why, it can not be coincidence. 

I have actually read up recently on some study comparing musical taste with personality. The result is, strangers can accurately assess another person's level of creativity, open-mindedness and extroversion after listening to his or her top 10 favorite songs. For some personality traits music works even better than assesment through personal talk. 
Unfortunately, they didn't assess listeners of trippy music. I just listen to Shpongle's "...and the day turned to night", which says a lot about my personality. 

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline
NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote: Close your eyes and listen

Well, how I rate any music or art work is, if my big toe pops up or if I get goose bumps on my arms, then I know for sure that it was done not not only with talent, but also their emotions, and I guess that this song just didn't do that for me, it was good but not great (in my humble opinion). Being a former musician myself (not really) her notes and words are not that clever.

Signature ? How ?

luca
atheist
User is offlineOffline
as gabriella cilmi

Do you get like 2 minutes of silence at the end of the song? Anyway I extremely dislike her voice, the rest is ok, but I would not absolutely call her 'innocent' or 'ingenuous'. Obviously there are frills like compression, eqing, and a classic arrangement.

If you want something 'natural', I'd suggest this:

Just found, it's the reason why I'm here posting stuff.

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
luca wrote:Do you get like 2

luca wrote:

Do you get like 2 minutes of silence at the end of the song? Anyway I extremely dislike her voice, the rest is ok, but I would not absolutely call her 'innocent' or 'ingenuous'. Obviously there are frills like compression, eqing, and a classic arrangement.

If you want something 'natural', I'd suggest this:

Just found, it's the reason why I'm here posting stuff.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
You want a tingle? Watch

You want a tingle? Watch this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WibmcsEGLKo

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

luca
atheist
User is offlineOffline
gillette

Vastet wrote:
You want a tingle? Watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WibmcsEGLKo

Impressive. Still it's just a speech, which means a collection of some beautifully worded platitudes.

Searching I even found an encyclopedia of them:

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I would argue there's little

I would argue there's little difference between music and "just a speech". The same feelings can be inspired by both.

luca
atheist
User is offlineOffline

Vastet wrote:
I would argue there's little difference between music and "just a speech". The same feelings can be inspired by both.

Roughly, yeah. The only thing I was underlining is that I often found speeches just pathetic and trite. They are words to move the masses, bible rhetorics, politicians' illusions, empty phrases. Music (commercial one, or usually the most visible artists) could be like that too, dull, ripetitive, non original, but you have to follow 'your feelings'. But I think the major difference is that while music (except things like r&b songs...) generally tries to convey emotions and tell a story, while instead a speech tries to sway you in the way of thinking of the speaker.

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Sometimes the music and

Sometimes the music and speech is mixed together. This is usual in psychedelic/chillout music community. 

Also, there are often quotes from people like Terrence McKenna or here, Christian Raetsch, the famous ethnobotanist. 

Damn these flash objects, they never seem to load the video when I post them. I hope they work for you.

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I agree, but music is often

I agree, but music is often used exactly the same way, and to just as pathetic a result.
This speech was from a comedian, and neither trite nor shallow, but powerful and all encompassing. A message to everyone from decades ago that still has meaning today. One that no song I've ever heard could hold a candle to.
Of course, everyone responds to such things uniquely, and I'd be a fool to think everyone would respond to it the same way.

luca
atheist
User is offlineOffline
double post happened

double post happened

luca
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Luminon wrote: Sometimes

Luminon wrote:

Sometimes the music and speech is mixed together. This is usual in psychedelic/chillout music community. 

Also, there are often quotes from people like Terrence McKenna or here, Christian Raetsch, the famous ethnobotanist. 

Damn these flash objects, they never seem to load the video when I post them. I hope they work for you.

Get a vst like magic carpet or x-wof and choose an oriental scale... you can make that stuff in 30 seconds. There are also a ton of user-made automatic harmony improvisators on reaktor.

Anyway you like programming, why don't you give a look to how other people posts flash objects? You embedded the address of the page (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tatfJQeRmMU), not the address of the object itself (http://www.youtube.com/v/tatfJQeRmMU).

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Luminon wrote: I have

Luminon wrote:

I have actually read up recently on some study comparing musical taste with personality. The result is, strangers can accurately assess another person's level of creativity, open-mindedness and extroversion after listening to his or her top 10 favorite songs. For some personality traits music works even better than assesment through personal talk. 
Unfortunately, they didn't assess listeners of trippy music. I just listen to Shpongle's "...and the day turned to night", which says a lot about my personality. 

I would have a real hard time picking a top ten out of all the music I listen to. That would be my only problem. I listen to EVERYTHING. Classical composers, Blues, Country, Jazz, Rap, Alternative Rock, Techno, New-Age, I literally mean EVERYTHING. Depending on my mood and what I feel like at the moment.

But that is an interesting tidbit of information to learn about.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
p { margin-bottom: 0.08in; }

Well, the lyrics don't do anything for me. That piano sound on the other hand...

I don't expect many people to know how the Korg X5 works but it can probably get there. It is menu diving hell though. Samples of real instruments, in fact, hundreds of them. More than a dozen pianos and each sample is all 88 notes right off the strings.

I can use two samples at the same time but at what ratio? Could be 60:40, 70:30 or something else. Because the samples come from the strings, the resonance has to be dealt with seperately. I have two effect processors onboard. For musicians, effect processors can be dialed in to settings if you know where you are going but you have lots of choices to make along the way. With two of them, it just makes matters way harder.

NMCP, I have managed some patches that get close to the European cathedrals. Sadly, I only have three MIDI capable keyboards, so Freiburg catherdral ain't gonna happen. That would take five keyboards and fairly creative MIDI programming to set up.

On a more positive note, E. Power Bigss was a friend of my father and he dropped by a few times when he was playing in NYC. He did amazing work at Freiburg mant times.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

luca
atheist
User is offlineOffline
loungelizard

AiGS, I don't know how the argument rose, but have you ever tried native instruments b4?

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster wrote:I

harleysportster wrote:

I would have a real hard time picking a top ten out of all the music I listen to. That would be my only problem. I listen to EVERYTHING. Classical composers, Blues, Country, Jazz, Rap, Alternative Rock, Techno, New-Age, I literally mean EVERYTHING. Depending on my mood and what I feel like at the moment.

But that is an interesting tidbit of information to learn about.

Yeah, but do these styles have something in common? Not the genre perhaps, but an emotion that they evoke? I listen to various stuff too, except it sounds similar because it has a similar emotional charge, less or more melancholic. That sort of thing is very common in chillout/psybient community, but diffcult to find in mainstream music. It takes just a few seconds to tell if something sounds right. Analyzing a piece of music for the keys would take hours. I think it is the D minor key and similar ones that do the magic. If you want to make me happy, get me something like this, regardless if it has electronics or beats or just piano. AiGS would surely like that song.

(hope the video works this time)

I recommend you to look at this list. Here you can see how different neurons our hearing center are wired to different emotions. Knowing the person's music tells you what kind of inner gratification that person wants. This is almost like mind reading. And then there is influencing people with music. Isn't that wonderful? My dream is to do a DJ gig and play some powerfully hypnotic music in front of a large crowd. Alternatively, delivering a political speech, while having some musician softly coloring the uttered thoughts in the background, that could have a great effect too. Not just on my ego, I mean.

Then there are universal listeners, who don't care what's playing. They can hang out with anyone and avoid most problems with differing tastes in music, which can be an end of relationships. I suspect such people are extroverts, introverts would see so much variety as intrusion in their inner world. So this is my guess. Either you can really listen to everything, or you pick a particular set of keys or emotions out of a wide range of genres. The second option is less social, but isn't it better to achieve deep and very trippy states of consciousness without having to consult your local dealer? Smiling

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
User is offlineOffline

Luca, I don't see where you are going with that.

I am aware of Native Instruments. They have good stuff. Even the free downloads are worthwhile. However, looking at their web site, B4 does not seem to be a current product. Feel free to link me if I am missing something.

I did find a fairly inexpensive package called “vintage organs”. It can trivially recreate the 1956 Hammond model C. That is a staple for gospel, soul and blues. It is also pretty much impossible to get at any price. Being tone wheel specific though, it will not work for pipe organs.

What I was getting at was that I love the sound in the first video and I think I can get there with the X5 but it is a menu dive. It could take a couple of hours to get even close and more hours to get closer.

For organs, I have spent the time to get pretty close to the one at Chartres Notredame. However, the cathedral at Freiburg has five keyboards. Even with splits, I am hardware limited. I don't think that I can make it happen.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

=

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Luminon, you hit it.

Luminon, I think you nailed it right square on the head.

While I listen to all styles of music, there are only certain types of songs and artists, within each style, that totally speak to me.

I had not thought of that. They all produce, the same effect.

They give me a hypnotic feeling of joy and immersion in their sound. I literally get "lost " in the song.

Now, when friends of mine, look at my CD collection and see The Rolling Stones, Lil Wayne, Waylon Jennings, Stone Temple Pilots, Johann Pachebel (Pachebel's Canon in D major is one of my favorites) Beethoven, Vivaldi, Slayer, and groups like The Misfits and the Sex Pistols on my bookshelf, I won't feel so awkward in trying to explain all of it. Of course, most of my friends accept that I am a music eccentric anyways. Laughing out loud

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:

I did find a fairly inexpensive package called “vintage organs”. It can trivially recreate the 1956 Hammond model C. That is a staple for gospel, soul and blues. It is also pretty much impossible to get at any price. Being tone wheel specific though, it will not work for pipe organs.

What I was getting at was that I love the sound in the first video and I think I can get there with the X5 but it is a menu dive. It could take a couple of hours to get even close and more hours to get closer.

For organs, I have spent the time to get pretty close to the one at Chartres Notredame. However, the cathedral at Freiburg has five keyboards. Even with splits, I am hardware limited. I don't think that I can make it happen.

You reminded me of one claim I had read about. There are two organ scales. Medieval system  and modern system. The modern system is simplier and more systematic, easier to use. But reputedly, the medieval system is some powerful stuff, it creates sounds that gives you chills. Maybe even has some therapeutic or psychedelic properties. Some musicologist that you probably don't know writes about that in his book... Is that true?

It's easy to verify, you just need to know how to re-program some modern programmable organs.

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
User is offlineOffline

Actually Luminon, from the player perspective there is not much of a simple/complicated deal. The biggest deal is on the back end which is what I was talking about. Sticking with keyboard instruments for the moment, the difference of which you speak is in how the sounds are generated. I don't know how curious you are on that but if you have questions, I can get back to you.

As far as there being theraputic value to music, I don't think that one machine or another is all that important so much as understanding that music in general is quite powerful for us evolved pattern seeking critters.

I routinely look on youtube for music from other countries. It matters not that I can't understand the words so much as hearing the sounds. Chinese music is interesting because their instruments are as different from our European style stuff as physics will allow. Some variant of the bagpipes exist in nearly every culture.

Oddly, despite the fact that a third of Americans are Scots, bagpipe concerts are few and far between. Even so, I have had the priviledge to be present at a world record of (it may be broken now) massed bands of 38 marching bands all playing Amazing Grace. Typing in a Scot accent here, If that di nae move ye, ye di nay got a soul.

Since I have you on this, there is an Eastern European instrument that I have seen that look interesting but I don't know what it is called. You can't really do google shopping if you don't know what you are looking for. The type example that I have in played by a member or the Red Army Choir. Look at the following video about 20 seconds in and tell me if you can identify the gigantic bass lute thing.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

=

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Since I have you on this, there is an Eastern European instrument that I have seen that look interesting but I don't know what it is called. You can't really do google shopping if you don't know what you are looking for. The type example that I have in played by a member or the Red Army Choir. Look at the following video about 20 seconds in and tell me if you can identify the gigantic bass lute thing.

That's balalaika, a traditional Russian instrument. Never saw them so big, I only knew about that small mandoline type. Apparently, there are multiple types. This one in video might be a bass balalaika and contrabass here is even bigger. Would you like to buy and play one?

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
User is offlineOffline

Yah, I would love to have one. Now that I have a clue, I can do some web searches.

The early searches have not gone anywhere useful though. All that I am getting from probable vendors are the small ones.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

=

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Check out this guy I'm proud

Check out this guy I'm proud to call my countryman. He plays a guitar made out of green marble stone (weighs 6 kg) with absolutely stunning sound.

The same marble was also used to make several violins and a very special marble loudspeaker with a vibrating stone membrane. The stone membrane is 2,5 mm thin at the edges and just 0,5 mm at the center, 30 cm across. 

Yah, I would love to have one. Now that I have a clue, I can do some web searches. 

The early searches have not gone anywhere useful though. All that I am getting from probable vendors are the small ones. 

So you want a big balalaika? 27 inches or 67 cm is not enough?

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
User is offlineOffline

Luminon, I don't know your language. In the future that could happen but not today.

As far as instrument size goes, there are more variables then you perhaps are thinking. String length is critical. Most but not all of mine are close to 90cm.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

=

luca
atheist
User is offlineOffline
hh

Luca, I don't see where you are going with that.

I am aware of Native Instruments. They have good stuff. Even the free downloads are worthwhile. However, looking at their web site, B4 does not seem to be a current product. Feel free to link me if I am missing something.

No, ok, B4 is not a pipe organ, but still it's a good simulation of organs. It depends, if the X5 has its organ(s) sampled (soundfonts or what (wavetable Sticking out tongue)) or it's a synth... Starting with a synth like B4 or VB3 could improve the result, I don't know. If you have searched for just a minute on internet you surely have found The virtual organ company, and a fast search on KVR gives me organux (a syntheway product -- better than nothing), cathedral, peti (hey, I like the nusofting company -- their modelonia is one of my preferred instruments)...

If you have the money you can go for MOTU or DVZ RT Les Grandes Orgues (Pipe Organs) Sad . There should be something in IK Multimedia Miroslav Philharmonik. I like IK too (for their amplitube, but also for sampletank), and maybe you can "accidentally trip" on miroslav going around for "the internets" Eye-wink -- just one thing, though: it's big.

You +1'd this publicly. Undo

ex-minister
atheistHigh Level Moderator
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
Valentina Lisitsa

I am a huge fan of Valentina Lisitsa

This version of Rachmaninoff's "Little Red Riding Hood" blows my mind

Just look at the passion and the intensity she plays.

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/

ex-minister
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
Widor's Tocatta

Here is the piece the organ was created for - Widor's Tocatta

I happened to be at the National Cathedral in DC when someone was playing it. Major Goose Bumps

I am sure I have lost some hearing by blasting this piece through my headphones. A sacrifice well worth it

Not sure if AiG would like it and maybe this isn't the best version, but it is damn good in my book

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
User is offlineOffline

Astounding!

DC happens to be a six hour train ride, so it tends to be pretty much a surgical strike. I have never done the Cathedral. Usually, I do the Smithsonian though.

Spaceship one is about as big as a minivan. I have stood next to the world's first supercomputer and I am taller than it.

I wish that I had pics but when kilted, one must decide between the camera and smokes.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

=

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
User is offlineOffline
Atheist rock off!!!!!

Atheist rock off!!!!!

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

=

ex-minister
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
From the space in between to

Religion Kills !!!

ex-minister
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
My Hands Are Bananas

Religion Kills !!!

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
User is offlineOffline
Dude, did you just try to

Dude, did you just try to outwierd me on the internet?

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

=

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
User is offlineOffline
(No subject)

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

=

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
User is offlineOffline
(No subject)

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

=

ex-minister
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
You got some mad skills

You got some mad skills. I am entertained.

"hey baby, wake up from your a sleep"

Religion Kills !!!

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
User is offlineOffline
Been there, done that.

Been there, done that.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

=

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
User is offlineOffline
(No subject)

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

=

ex-minister
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
Primitive - NSFW

DOH. You took my Tanak Tunak Tun. Yatta .... hmmm .... impressive

NSFW or Cptn

Wardrobe diificulties  Smiling

Religion Kills !!!

ex-minister
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
A career built on strange

Religion Kills !!!

ex-minister
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
People Are Strange

Religion Kills !!!

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
User is offlineOffline
(No subject)

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

=

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
User is offlineOffline
(No subject)

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

=

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
  So you want a weird

So you want a weird video? What about this? I'm surprised nobody yet posted it. The music is actually pretty good.

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
User is offlineOffline
A new challenger appears. 

A new challenger appears.  It can't do the embed right but it is into Aphex Twin.  It fails to get it right.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

=

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
User is offlineOffline
(No subject)

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

=

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
User is offlineOffline
(No subject)

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

=

ex-minister
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Lurch

Religion Kills !!!

ex-minister
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
Are You Nervous

Religion Kills !!!

ex-minister
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
(No subject)

Religion Kills !!!

ex-minister
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
It happened in 2000

Religion Kills !!!