I just got a great idea for a movie!

Recovering fund...
atheistSuperfan
Recovering fundamentalist's picture
User is offlineOffline
I just got a great idea for a movie!

Here's my idea for a film plot:

The film takes place in the 26 Century AD. Back in the 21st Century a nuclear war happens and the world's population is nearly wiped out, and the survivors are reduced to living like back in the Dark Ages (except with some modern technology - a la "Mad Max&quotEye-wink.

A few generations after the nuclear holocaust, some survivors on one find old Star Wars novels buried in some ruins, while on another continent, survivors find old Star Trek Novels. Then hundreds of years later, the new civilizations have developed religions based on Star Wars, and Star Trek - with Obi Wan Kenobi as their "deity" or guru of one religion and Mr Spock as the "deity" of the other religion. Other religions and "denomionations" also develop in other countries - ex. a religion based on the Lord of the Rings novels emerges, and the "Star Wars religion" splinters into two main denominations, one which worships Obi Wan and another which worships Yoda.

Religious wars, political squabbles, and discrimination then ensues. The Star Wars followers go on a crusade against the Spock worshipers, while the Yoda worshipers begin an inquisition against the "heretical" Obi Wan worshiping minority in their country. More centuries later, civilization has evolved more, closer to how it was in the 21st Century - and much more knowledge of science has been regained, and religious crusades and inquisitions have now ended for the most part, with occasional acts of terrorism by fundamentalist Gandalf worshipers against "infidels". However petty political and religious squabbles still occur in civilized nations:

Fundamentalist Obi-Wanians in North America demand that the "theory" that human life on earth developed from 1 man and 1 woman (Han and Leia) be taught in public schools alongside "crank theories" like evolution, seek to ban gay marriage because according to their new sacred text, loosely based on the Star Wars saga - that Obi Wan stated that marriage should be between 1 man and 1 woman. Fundie in backwoods parts of the south refuse to take their children to a doctor when they get sick - because they believe that illness is caused by evil "spirits" of Darth Vader and Sith Lords - and that Obi Wan commanded them to "use faith in the force" to cure their children, resulting in children dying from lack of proper medical care. Cults get started by wackos who claim to be the reincarnation of Obi Wan - and followers commit suicide believing they'll become "one with the force". And life continues pretty much the same as it does nowadays.

Optimism is reality, pessimism is the fantasy that you know enough to be cynical

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
If L Ron Hubbard's book can

If L Ron Hubbard's book can start Scientology it would not shock me in the least if in the future people were praying to the Force or to the Federation or even to Harry Potter.

But I doubt this idea, AND IT IS a great idea, would ever sell since the majority of our population holds some sort of superstition. It would sell to atheists on a DVD and maybe to some more liberal believers. I don't know if it could be sold to the big screen though.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Recovering fund...
atheistSuperfan
Recovering fundamentalist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:If L Ron

Brian37 wrote:

If L Ron Hubbard's book can start Scientology it would not shock me in the least if in the future people were praying to the Force or to the Federation or even to Harry Potter.

But I doubt this idea, AND IT IS a great idea, would ever sell since the majority of our population holds some sort of superstition. It would sell to atheists on a DVD and maybe to some more liberal believers. I don't know if it could be sold to the big screen though.

Maybe if the idea was turned into a comedy film (with some grains of truth to it) - I'm sure that fundies would probably catch on though.

Optimism is reality, pessimism is the fantasy that you know enough to be cynical