Evolution is speeding up, says researcher, and we're becoming more different

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline
Evolution is speeding up, says researcher, and we're becoming more different

Now this is a pretty old article, at www.science20.com/news_release/evolution_is_speeding_up_says_researcher_and_were_becoming_more_different , what is yor take on this research, O' and by the way, the article that I was talking about is on the right side - under TOP ARTICLES, NO.# 3  

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Those are some pretty severe

Those are some pretty severe conclusions from a study of this size.

article wrote:

...the evolution of favorable gene mutations – during the past 80,000 years by analyzing DNA from 270 individuals in the International HapMap Project, an effort to identify variations in human genes that cause disease and can serve as targets for new medicines.

The word 'favorable' is poorly used in this context.  They may as well say favorable to their conclusion.  Technically any gene mutation in contemporary surviving species is a 'favorable' mutation relative to the ultimate underlining concept of evolution.  In that it is just good enough to help the individual procreate in order to propagate his genes.  Look at all the naturally extinct species for examples of unfavorable gene mutations.

I find the study to draw some very unrealistic conclusions, considering the amount data they're basing it on.  Also the whole race thing I'm not sure what to make of... I'll quote it here and let someone else pick up on it.

article wrote:

-- “Human races are evolving away from each other,” Harpending says. “Genes are evolving fast in Europe, Asia and Africa, but almost all of these are unique to their continent of origin. We are getting less alike, not merging into a single, mixed humanity.” He says that is happening because humans dispersed from Africa to other regions 40,000 years ago, “and there has not been much flow of genes between the regions since then.”

The whole article is full of non sequiturs and naked assertions.  

"Don't seek these laws to understand. Only the mad can comprehend..." -- George Cosbuc

JesusNEVERexisted
Superfan
JesusNEVERexisted's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ken G. wrote:  Now this

Ken G. wrote:

Now this is a pretty old article, at www.science20.com/news_release/evolution_is_speeding_up_says_researcher_and_were_becoming_more_different , what is yor take on this research, O' and by the way, the article that I was talking about is on the right side - under TOP ARTICLES, NO.# 3  

It's says page not found but it sounds interesting so can anyone post it?

Click here to find out why Christianity is the biggest fairy tale ever created!! www.nobeliefs.com/exist.htm www.JesusNEVERexisted.com