Spritual Warfare

jcgadfly
SuperfanBronze Member
Posts: 6789
Joined: 2006-07-18
User is offlineOffline
Spritual Warfare

In the scheme of eternal, omnimax (or nearly omnimax beings) human beings and their souls have no intrinsic value. Yet Christians believe that God and Satan are continually at war over them.

Why?

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin


Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
Posts: 2367
Joined: 2008-03-25
User is offlineOffline
Just because....

jcgadfly wrote:

In the scheme of eternal, omnimax (or nearly omnimax beings) human beings and their souls have no intrinsic value. Yet Christians believe that God and Satan are continually at war over them.

Why?

 

 

        ........it makes for a good story. It just doesn't make any sense.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?


robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
Posts: 2481
Joined: 2010-02-20
User is offlineOffline
Because satan hates god for

Because satan hates god for casting him out so he wants to torment gods "creation" and god is willing to allow it if his "creation" wants to deny him anyway. It's an awesome tale of ancient intrigue in simple torpidity.

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin


Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
Posts: 4214
Joined: 2008-11-11
User is offlineOffline
robj101 wrote:Because satan

robj101 wrote:

Because satan hates god for casting him out so he wants to torment gods "creation" and god is willing to allow it if his "creation" wants to deny him anyway. It's an awesome tale of ancient intrigue in simple torpidity.

 

Sounds like there is a whole series of books in that idea...Oh,  Wait!

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=


Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
Posts: 2455
Joined: 2008-02-17
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:In the scheme

jcgadfly wrote:

In the scheme of eternal, omnimax (or nearly omnimax beings) human beings and their souls have no intrinsic value. Yet Christians believe that God and Satan are continually at war over them.

Why?

It is about a good policeman, a bad policeman and the naughty Satan on whom you can blame everything if you do what the policemen say and go with their version. 

And who said a soul has no intrinsic value? It is the holy grail, the philosopher's stone, your own inner god and the element, which makes the difference between a mere intelligent person and a genius. What we see is downplaying of a value of something, which is a typical trade tactic to make you sell your soul cheaply.

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.


Atheistextremist
atheistSilver Member
Atheistextremist's picture
Posts: 5086
Joined: 2009-09-17
User is offlineOffline
This is a good point

 

 

Clearly Satan and god have much more in common than god has with humans. Goodness knows, why would god want to spend time with human beings. It's a laughable assertion. What company would we be? It'd be like having gnats around for dinner...

 

 

 

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck


jcgadfly
SuperfanBronze Member
Posts: 6789
Joined: 2006-07-18
User is offlineOffline
Luminon wrote:jcgadfly

Luminon wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

In the scheme of eternal, omnimax (or nearly omnimax beings) human beings and their souls have no intrinsic value. Yet Christians believe that God and Satan are continually at war over them.

Why?

It is about a good policeman, a bad policeman and the naughty Satan on whom you can blame everything if you do what the policemen say and go with their version. 

And who said a soul has no intrinsic value? It is the holy grail, the philosopher's stone, your own inner god and the element, which makes the difference between a mere intelligent person and a genius. What we see is downplaying of a value of something, which is a typical trade tactic to make you sell your soul cheaply.

The souls have no intrinsic value to the beings fighting over them (according to the holy books). What its value is to me has not been ascertained as I do not know if I have one. Are you equating the soul to inspiration?

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin


TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
Posts: 1367
Joined: 2011-02-06
User is offlineOffline
Luminon wrote:jcgadfly

Luminon wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

In the scheme of eternal, omnimax (or nearly omnimax beings) human beings and their souls have no intrinsic value. Yet Christians believe that God and Satan are continually at war over them.

Why?

It is about a good policeman, a bad policeman and the naughty Satan on whom you can blame everything if you do what the policemen say and go with their version. 

And who said a soul has no intrinsic value? It is the holy grail, the philosopher's stone, your own inner god and the element, which makes the difference between a mere intelligent person and a genius. What we see is downplaying of a value of something, which is a typical trade tactic to make you sell your soul cheaply.

Yes Luminon but that is good mysticism not good religion to value the soul. They are corrupt in religions not asleep.  Gnosticism shares a lot with mysticism in this regard.

 

 

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whip cream."--Frank Zappa

http://atheisticgod.blogspot.com/ Books on atheism


Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
Posts: 2455
Joined: 2008-02-17
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:The souls

jcgadfly wrote:

The souls have no intrinsic value to the beings fighting over them (according to the holy books). What its value is to me has not been ascertained as I do not know if I have one. Are you equating the soul to inspiration?

In many fairy tales, various supernatural beings fight for people's souls or buy them for some earthy goods, but they won't tell you what is it all good for. Isn't that suspicious? Typically, the main hero decides to keep on his soul, no matter how good deal the infernal powers give him. And neither he dies and goes to heaven. I see this as a symbol valuing the seemingly useless property of self-identity and integrity more than material benefits. Very spiritual.

Human personality is fragmented. Freud called the fragments id, ego and superego. People commonly identify with ego, they watch as the superego battles with id, and then go with the winner. The experience of soul is so unlike these parts of your personality, that it is felt like another entity inside your mind. And yet, it feels like an impersonal, loving entity, not an alien presence. I believe that's why Christians say Jesus or god loves them. It is really hard to believe, that this is a part of their personality making contact. The soul contact is a profound influence on one's life, though the initial effects are unpredictable. 

Of course, this is an extremely broad topic. Majority of people do not need their soul at all, not to lead a satisfying life. It is a superior personal part, much more advanced than me or you. And a diffcult one to work with. You're right, the soul provides an inspiration, depending on your personal style. But depending on how much you cooperate, it gives much more, but may demand work as well and take things away.

 

TGBaker wrote:
 Yes Luminon but that is good mysticism not good religion to value the soul. They are corrupt in religions not asleep.  Gnosticism shares a lot with mysticism in this regard. 
The problem with organized religion is, that one size is supposed to fit all. People can benefit from organized religion, but only for a time, then it hinders them. People must be allowed to change and grow out of things. For example, some Christians used their religion to draw an inner strength and guidance from the soul. But that rarely helps them to doubt the scripture. 

Religion is very similar to a protection through limitation. By limiting themselves, accomodating to a limited religious order, people go through sort of a spiritual nursery school. But they get afraid of everything else. A true spiritual life is sometimes diffcult, dangerous and maybe terrifying, simply because it is a complicated thing that can go wrong. In a simple congregation there's nothing much to go wrong. I'd like to see Christians realize, how little their worldview is and how limited they keep themselves. I met at least one preacher who realized this. Sadly, I was probably the only one present who understood the sermon.

 

 

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.