Adventures in Stupid

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Adventures in Stupid

He's not the son of God, just the support act

Aaron Cook
May 28, 2011   Thought-provoking? Yes it is ... an advertisment paid for by Islamic group MyPeace.

CHRISTIANS in Sydney will have their core beliefs challenged by provocative advertisements due to appear on billboards and buses in the next month.

The ads, paid for by an Islamic group called MyPeace, will carry slogans such as ''Jesus: a prophet of Islam'', ''Holy Quran: the final testament'' and ''Muhammad: mercy to mankind''.

A phone number urges people to call to receive a free Koran and other Islamic literature. The organiser of MyPeace, Diaa Mohamed, said the campaign was intended to educate non-Muslims about Islam. He said Jesus was a prophet of Islam, who was to come before Muhammad. ''The only difference is we say he was a prophet of God, and they say he is God,'' Mr Mohamed said. ''Is it thought-provoking? Yes, it is. We want to raise awareness that Islam believes in Jesus Christ,'' he said.

Mr Mohamed said he hoped the billboards would encourage Christians and Muslims to find common ground. They were not intended to downgrade the significance of Jesus. ''We embrace him and say that he was one of the mightiest prophets of God.''

MyPeace plans to extend the campaign, funded by private donations, to television.

The Anglican Bishop of South Sydney, Rob Forsyth, said it was ''complete nonsense'' to say Jesus was a prophet of Islam. ''Jesus was not the prophet of a religion that came into being 600 years later.''

But the billboard was not offensive, he said. ''They've got a perfect right to say it, and I would defend their right to say it [but] … you couldn't run a Christian billboard in Saudi Arabia.''

The bishop said he would pay for billboards to counter those of MyPeace if he could afford it, and ''maybe the atheists should run their billboards as well''.

A spokesman for the Australian Islamic Mission, Siddiq Buckley, said the campaign would increase awareness of the positive facts of Islam. ''I would be looking at this as a good opportunity to explain what we mean.''

Read more:

http://www.smh.com.au/national/hes-not-the-son-of-god-just-the-support-act-20110527-1f8j2.html#ixzz1Nd4ozhXC

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
It's probably a good thing.

It's probably a good thing. I think religion has a much harder time surviving when there are competing religions. That's probably part of why they tend to try to wipe each other out.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

luca
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Yes, but it's like using

Yes, but it's like using serpents to kill a rats invasion. Then you need something that kills serpents. Then you need something that kills what kills the serpents. Then you need...

At least here someone started printing messages on buses like "You don't need God" and that sort of things.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Except in this case the rats

Except in this case the rats are already quite capable of killing the serpents. Eye-wink

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Except in this

Vastet wrote:

Except in this case the rats are already quite capable of killing the serpents. Eye-wink

MORTAL COMBAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  *techno beats  TADA TADA TADA TADA TAAAAHDA... LUE CAIN CHRISTIAN... TADA TADA TADA TADA TAAAAAAHDA GORO MUSLIM.... FIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL, too funny.  

"Don't seek these laws to understand. Only the mad can comprehend..." -- George Cosbuc

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
(No subject)

Laughing out loud

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:The bishop said he

Quote:
The bishop said he would pay for billboards to counter those of MyPeace if he could afford it, and ''maybe the atheists should run their billboards as well''.

That is the bit that stands out for me. Would he be saying let us run stuff if he was not concerned about the Islam signs?

Really, his remarks come off to me as if he is willing to admit that he must live in a market place of ideas. Not by choice but if he simply must, then he wants the competition to be spread as this as possible. I also like how he mentions the cost of doing signs himself. After all, we all know that will put his volunteer marketing into high gear.

OMG! The bishop needs money to advertise! Better cough it up boys and girls or nasty islam people will move in next door and destroy property values. I am sure that he will get plenty of money from that appeal. Hell, he did not even specifically ask for any cash but just saying as much as he did will get wallets open.

Never mind the fact that he already has plenty of money. Really, if he sold off one of the surplus gold chalices, how much could he raise? I bet those things must weigh in at a few ounces each. At current market price for gold, just one of those should buy at least a month of advertising.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
"Mercy to mankind" that's

"Mercy to mankind" that's just awesome.

"We shall be merciful and let you cut off the head of the infidel."

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin

wingless_sephiroth
atheist
wingless_sephiroth's picture
User is offlineOffline
robj101 wrote:"Mercy to

robj101 wrote:

"Mercy to mankind" that's just awesome.

"We shall be merciful and let you cut off the head of the infidel."

Yeah, the Qur'an calls Muhammad a "Mercy to the Worlds." It has lots of connotation, some being several traditions relating that God offered to genocide the entire city of Mecca for persecuting him, and Muhammad turned down the offer.

Allah - 0
Muhammad - 1

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ktulu wrote:Vastet

Ktulu wrote:

Vastet wrote:

MORTAL COMBAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  *techno beats  TADA TADA TADA TADA TAAAAHDA... LUE CAIN CHRISTIAN... TADA TADA TADA TADA TAAAAAAHDA GORO MUSLIM.... FIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL, too funny.  

"NO ONE WINS" "FATALITY"

Turns off Pray Station and turns on Myth Busters.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well America is just about

Well America is just about softened up enough in the brain to accept islam. If we get any more retarded christianity might go back to the OT and become islam, who knows.

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
robj101 wrote:Well America

robj101 wrote:

Well America is just about softened up enough in the brain to accept islam. If we get any more retarded christianity might go back to the OT and become islam, who knows.

Not until they find out they have to give up beer, bacon, ham sandwiches, and dogs.

Russia was ready to accept Islam at one time until they discovered they would have to give up their beloved Vodka.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen