roseweeed's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Law of Mother Earth

"With the cooperation of politicians and grassroots organizations,

Bolivia is set to pass the Law of Mother Earth, which will grant

nature the same rights and protections as humans . . ." 

http://bit.ly/iX53vD

roseweed

Everything that happens, happens somehow.

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
 This is very wise

This is very wise decision. I hope more politicians will realize, that we live in a very fragile spaceship with limited resources. Most of all market, industry, production, consumerism and so on, that's just a game we're playing. On some low levels it increases the quality of life, but we took it far beyond that and made a global russian roulette out of it. 

What Morales suggests is necessary, but it will only work if other nations will understand the idea. (or if Morales puts some solid embargo on foreign trade) It is absurd to make compromises between mother Nature and GDP. GDP is an economic sign of how much we waste resources. It should be as low as possible. So I think Morales' system will only work without getting the country bankrupt if other countries will stop economical competition as well. 
The problem is so deep, that all the economic system must be overhauled together with the legal system. 

I think that corruption of U. S. dollar is something that might rot away the last political obstacle to the necessary global change. Only if the global leaders would stop pretending that they don't trade with worthless currency, counterfeited massively by american banks.

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Wow. :\

Wow. :\

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
article wrote:The law

article wrote:
The law redefines natural resources as blessings and confers the same rights to nature as to human beings, including: the right to life and to exist; the right to continue vital cycles and processes free from human alteration; the right to pure water and clean air; the right to balance; the right not to be polluted; and the right to not have cellular structure modified or genetically altered.

They have good intentions, I guess, but this wording feels too broad and vague to me if this is accurately paraphrasing the actual text. Plus, they have the right not to be genetically altered? Sigh.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nice idea

and extended all life forms, it could make a difference to human behaviour.

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist wrote: and

Atheistextremist wrote:

Yes and if human behaviour is deemed natural then its products such as concrete, plastic, chemicals, nuclear weapons and what have you could be seen as natural since they are the products of human behaviour just as a beaver's or a bird's nest is natural!!!!!

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whip cream."--Frank Zappa

http://atheisticgod.blogspot.com/ Books on atheism

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
 It is amazing how many

It is amazing how many people strive to 100% eliminate pollution.... while using tools that can only be created by polluting. The only way to comply with this law is to kill yourself.

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Suicide is illegal. > >

Suicide is illegal. > >

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Suicide is

Vastet wrote:

Suicide is illegal. > >

Actually it is not in the U.S. Attempted suicie only will get you a hospital stay. as a misdemeanor. in a few states.

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whip cream."--Frank Zappa

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
TGBaker

TGBaker wrote:

Atheistextremist wrote:

Yes and if human behaviour is deemed natural then its products such as concrete, plastic, chemicals, nuclear weapons and what have you could be seen as natural since they are the products of human behaviour just as a beaver's or a bird's nest is natural!!!!! 

You logically cannot protect all life-forms easily, since the survival of some depends on using others as a food-source - it is a dynamic system, the best we can aim at is not to interfere too destructively in the process. Which is why maintaining 'bio-diversity' is a good criterion: loss of biodiversity is one of the bsurestest signs of a threatened eco-system. Even top predators in a system have an important role in maintaining the health of prey species, by removing the weaker individuals, as long as some sort of balance is maintained.

Loss of some easily observed or detected species, even if seemingly minor players, is an alarm signal that something may be going wrong.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
TGBaker wrote:Vastet

TGBaker wrote:

Vastet wrote:

Suicide is illegal. > >

Actually it is not in the U.S. Attempted suicie only will get you a hospital stay. as a misdemeanor. in a few states.

This isn't the US though. The US would never pass such a law as this one, at this time. The courts would be overwhelmed for decades.

Atheistextremist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Yep

TGBaker wrote:

Atheistextremist wrote:

I'm not sure who it was, maybe David Suzuki, who wanly observed humans have a 'natural impact' same as a meteorite strike or a volcanic eruption. And I agree with Bob - it's habitat loss/disruption we need to address. Though there are times I wish the bloody oil would hurry up and run out. And the coal. Uranium. Dioxins, etc, etc, etc. 

At present we are arguing in Australia about a carbon trading scheme and the merest hint of an increase in electricity prices or carbon taxes causes paroxysms in the electorate. There's little doubt this issue has the potential to overturn governments here. The only thing that will wake people up is an undeniable impact in their own backyard. The fact Greenland's glaciers are melting matters not to a family of battlers in Doonside, whose income is torn between 3 school kids, a too-large mortgage, escalating petrol prices and the threat of higher taxes.  

Having said this, the English seem to have calmly committed to a 50 per cent carbon cut and are on track to meet it without appreciable fuss. Maybe nuclear power helps. 

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist

Atheistextremist wrote:

TGBaker wrote:

Atheistextremist wrote:

I'm not sure who it was, maybe David Suzuki, who wanly observed humans have a 'natural impact' same as a meteorite strike or a volcanic eruption. And I agree with Bob - it's habitat loss/disruption we need to address. Though there are times I wish the bloody oil would hurry up and run out. And the coal. Uranium. Dioxins, etc, etc, etc. 

At present we are arguing in Australia about a carbon trading scheme and the merest hint of an increase in electricity prices or carbon taxes causes paroxysms in the electorate. There's little doubt this issue has the potential to overturn governments here. The only thing that will wake people up is an undeniable impact in their own backyard. The fact Greenland's glaciers are melting matters not to a family of battlers in Doonside, whose income is torn between 3 school kids, a too-large mortgage, escalating petrol prices and the threat of higher taxes.  

Having said this, the English seem to have calmly committed to a 50 per cent carbon cut and are on track to meet it without appreciable fuss. Maybe nuclear power helps. 

Nuclear power has long term problems with waste produce that has a radioactive half-life of 500,000 years what do we do with as it continues to mount up> Shoot it into space? If the money spent on Plant Vogel here in Georgia had been invested into solar voltaic cells it would have reduced the cost of the cells production to a competitive level with our power companies. There are too many lobbyist and big money backer for a logical safe approach.

Windmills and watermill under the ocean tides are a good method of producing energy.  Electric cars hydrogen producing engines for vehicles.  Even caburetors that get a 100 mpg would help out.

Atheistextremist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Yeah, Tommy

TGBaker wrote:

Atheistextremist wrote:

TGBaker wrote:

Atheistextremist wrote:

Nuclear power has long term problems with waste produce that has a radioactive half-life of 500,000 years what do we do with as it continues to mount up> Shoot it into space? If the money spent on Plant Vogel here in Georgia had been invested into solar voltaic cells it would have reduced the cost of the cells production to a competitive level with our power companies. There are too many lobbyist and big money backer for a logical safe approach.

Windmills and watermill under the ocean tides are a good method of producing energy.  Electric cars hydrogen producing engines for vehicles.  Even caburetors that get a 100 mpg would help out.

Same as you, I'm a fan of solar power generated at point of use, supported by thermally designed buildings and use of the human body for locomotion. My power bills are only about 100 a quarter. I have solar hot water and use CFs and am aware of minimising power use without being obsessive. 

Improved battery technology and an affordable alternative to silicon solar panels seem the keys to me. Another central issue is the cost of installation. It's hard to believe installation of ELV solutions is charged at the same rate as mains gear despite the fact a Cert 4 electrician would be wasted on a 12V job and could just turn up at the end for an hour to do mains connection. You could have trained lawyers installing solar in Australia and come away with change in comparison. 

Something else that bugs me is that all across the middle east and the med there are people on a wage of 2000 a year who enjoy passive solar hot water - basically they have donkey boilers with wet pipes mounted in black painted metal trays on their rooftops - yet in Australia a basic solar hotwater system is $5000 installed. It's hardly an inducement.

And what is the high technology required for solar systems installed in coastal maritime climates? A dual skinned water tank, some copper or glass tubes, a covered collector tray, a lower power pressure pump and some brazed copper lines. Whoo Hoo. Quick, call NASA. I think we're onto something.  

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck