World to End on the 21st

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
Posts: 3142
Joined: 2007-06-24
User is offlineOffline
World to End on the 21st

 Hope you've got your tin-foil hats folded and ready.

http://www.familyradio.com/index2.html <-- This would be just another amusing little footnote in the ongoing saga of crazy things spouted by 'ol Harold Camping (who has set all kinds of 'ZOMG END OF TIMES THIS TIME I'M SURE OF IT 100%!' dates before)... except that this time around, the son of a bitch has actually convinced a number of extremely gullible listeners to wholly surrender their financial security. And a lot of these people have children that are now going to pay the price for their parents' negligence and Mr. Camping's deceit.

 

This isn't some small-time outfit, either: Family Radio (Camping's 'business') has gone laughing all the way to bank, collecting millions of dollars from listeners and various other sponsors (strangely, the impending rapture & doom of the material planet has not compelled Mr. Camping to cease accepting money or to begin donating away his vast wealth). 

 

I certainly would like a Christian to explain this to me, without just some hand-waving and trying to dismiss Camping as a fringe crackpot: How is it that your apparently lovely, morally pure religion is such a vector for this sort of disease? How is it that people like Mr. Camping, and organizations like Family Radio, can become multi-million dollar entities by having a Bible ride shotgun with their disgusting messages? Do you not see this as a fundamental problem with vague superstitions? 

 

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940


BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
Posts: 5815
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
After 11pm now, still

After 11pm now, still nuttin'.

What an anti-climax...

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology


TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
Posts: 1367
Joined: 2011-02-06
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:After 11pm

BobSpence1 wrote:

After 11pm now, still nuttin'.

What an anti-climax...

Well me and Jesus are over in New Zealand right now but you ain't on the list.  He said he'd take a $600 and sneak you in. Just look for the Pink Cadillac. 9:55 AM EST

 

 

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whip cream."--Frank Zappa

http://atheisticgod.blogspot.com/ Books on atheism


ex-minister
atheistHigh Level ModeratorSilver Member
ex-minister's picture
Posts: 1708
Joined: 2010-01-29
User is offlineOffline
 Their website has nothing

 Their website has nothing going on.

I listened to family radio which Camping owns and it was just some playback of bible story indoctrination for kids about David and Saul. No excitement.

I am starting to watch the Decorah Eagles instead

http://www.ustream.tv/decoraheagles

 

That is more exciting. They are central time USA and I am eastern time USA. I might see some shit go down ahead of time.

 

Really shouldn't there be a live broadcast like this of Harold Camping. We could watch in zip into the sky or maybe he is watching porn like bin laden was doing before his earthly life was over. 

 

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/


Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
Posts: 2390
Joined: 2008-03-25
User is offlineOffline
11:00 Am

 

 

 

                    It's 11:00 AM here in Mississauga, the sun is shining the temp is perfict. Now I have to go out and clean the yard and mow the lawn......WHERE IS THAT EFFIN' RAPTURE WHEN YOU NEED ONE????????????

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?


Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
Posts: 4214
Joined: 2008-11-11
User is offlineOffline
 Umm OK,   This is

 

Umm OK,

 

This is somewhat unrelated but what if CERN actually finds the Higgs Boson today?

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=


ScientiaPotenti...
Posts: 20
Joined: 2011-04-02
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:

 

Umm OK,

 

This is somewhat unrelated but what if CERN actually finds the Higgs Boson today?

That would be the definition of irony.


 


NoMoreCrazyPeople
atheistSuperfan
NoMoreCrazyPeople's picture
Posts: 969
Joined: 2009-10-14
User is offlineOffline
ex-minister wrote: I am so

ex-minister wrote:

 I am so excited. I know this time it is truly true.

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=3reUjm_e9_g

 

Great video, I love how the Jehovahs Witnessess predicted the end 6 or 7 times.  My mom told me stories when I was a kid about people she knew selling their houses and such things in anticipation of the watchtowers predicted raptures.  She's lived through I think 3 of them, now 70 I asked her a couple months back if she still thinks the world is going to end in the next 20 years, the awnser was a definitive yes.  It really is complete insanity, not just to continue to believe the same failed thing over and over, but to get some jollies off of the idea of a catastrophic end to the world.  Sad...yawn.   Can't wait for the hockey game tomorow, GO CANUCKS!!! 


djneibarger
Superfan
djneibarger's picture
Posts: 564
Joined: 2007-04-13
User is offlineOffline
.

my understanding is that the earthquakes will begin at 6pm in each time zone. convenient that the "rapture" recognizes such modern devices.

www.derekneibarger.com http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=djneibarger "all postures of submission and surrender should be part of our prehistory." -christopher hitchens


NoMoreCrazyPeople
atheistSuperfan
NoMoreCrazyPeople's picture
Posts: 969
Joined: 2009-10-14
User is offlineOffline
This is

This is hillarious

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRbLFfWa1oM

 

So these tards are driving around the states in rolling may 21st billboards warning the people.  They covered their vans in decals and are handing out pamflets.  One of the men remarks "this is the largest campaign the world has ever known, ever."  Haha  a few vans and some black and white pamflets.  So what do these tards do tomorow, start by getting the decals removed I guess?  I literally can't understand the mindset that would lead one to believe the rapture is coming, and drive around warning people, it is so far from anything reasonable I don't even know what to say, poor kids of these people.


ex-minister
atheistHigh Level ModeratorSilver Member
ex-minister's picture
Posts: 1708
Joined: 2010-01-29
User is offlineOffline
Not good at this stuff, but

Not good at this stuff, but where does the first 6pm hit? I am EST which I think is GMT - 5. So when it is 6 pm in England it will be 1pm in EST. That is like 8 minutes from now

Chennai should have experienced this already and so should have BobSpence

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/


Hesed
Theist
Hesed's picture
Posts: 105
Joined: 2010-07-15
User is offlineOffline
The DAY and the HOUR

Mat 24:36 NASB - But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but the Father alone.

Some Related Verses - About THAT day …

Zechariah 14:7 NASB - For it will be a unique day which is known to the LORD, neither day nor night, but it will come about that at evening time there will be light.

Acts 1:7 NASB - He said to them, It is not for you to know times or epochs which the Father has fixed by His own authority;

1Th 5:2 NASB - For you yourselves know full well that the day of the Lord will come just like a thief in the night.

2Pe 3:10 NASB - But the day of the Lord will come like a thief, in which the heavens will pass away with a roar and the elements will be destroyed with intense heat, and the earth and its works will be burned up.

Revelation 16:15 NASB - Behold, I am coming like a thief. Blessed is the one who stays awake and keeps his clothes, so that he will not walk about naked and men will not see his shame.

 

Some Related Verses - When will He come?

Mat 24:42 NASB - Therefore be on the alert, for you do not know which day your Lord is coming.

Mat 24:44 NASB - For this reason you also must be ready; for the Son of Man is coming at an hour when you do not think He will.

Mat 25:13 NASB - Be on the alert then, for you do not know the day nor the hour.

Mar 13:32 NASB - But of that day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but the Father alone.

Revelation 3:3 NASB - So remember what you have received and heard; and keep it, and repent. Therefore if you do not wake up, I will come like a thief, and you will not know at what hour I will come to you.

Greater love has no man than this, that he lay down his life for a friend.


cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
Posts: 3330
Joined: 2007-01-05
User is offlineOffline
BenfromCanada

BenfromCanada wrote:

Hilarious comic on the subject. Would have hotlinked except it is multiple images.

 

That is a keeper. 

 

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.


jcgadfly
SuperfanBronze Member
Posts: 6789
Joined: 2006-07-18
User is offlineOffline
Hesed wrote:Mat 24:36 NASB -

Hesed wrote:

Mat 24:36 NASB - But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but the Father alone.

Some Related Verses - About THAT day …

Zechariah 14:7 NASB - For it will be a unique day which is known to the LORD, neither day nor night, but it will come about that at evening time there will be light.

Acts 1:7 NASB - He said to them, It is not for you to know times or epochs which the Father has fixed by His own authority;

1Th 5:2 NASB - For you yourselves know full well that the day of the Lord will come just like a thief in the night.

2Pe 3:10 NASB - But the day of the Lord will come like a thief, in which the heavens will pass away with a roar and the elements will be destroyed with intense heat, and the earth and its works will be burned up.

Revelation 16:15 NASB - Behold, I am coming like a thief. Blessed is the one who stays awake and keeps his clothes, so that he will not walk about naked and men will not see his shame.

 

Some Related Verses - When will He come?

Mat 24:42 NASB - Therefore be on the alert, for you do not know which day your Lord is coming.

Mat 24:44 NASB - For this reason you also must be ready; for the Son of Man is coming at an hour when you do not think He will.

Mat 25:13 NASB - Be on the alert then, for you do not know the day nor the hour.

Mar 13:32 NASB - But of that day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but the Father alone.

Revelation 3:3 NASB - So remember what you have received and heard; and keep it, and repent. Therefore if you do not wake up, I will come like a thief, and you will not know at what hour I will come to you.

sits squarely against Jesus' statement of "this (his current) generation shall not pass away...", hmm?

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin


TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
Posts: 1367
Joined: 2011-02-06
User is offlineOffline
Hesed wrote:Mat 24:36 NASB -

Hesed wrote:

Mat 24:36 NASB - But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but the Father alone.

Some Related Verses - About THAT day …

Zechariah 14:7 NASB - For it will be a unique day which is known to the LORD, neither day nor night, but it will come about that at evening time there will be light.

Acts 1:7 NASB - He said to them, It is not for you to know times or epochs which the Father has fixed by His own authority;

1Th 5:2 NASB - For you yourselves know full well that the day of the Lord will come just like a thief in the night.

2Pe 3:10 NASB - But the day of the Lord will come like a thief, in which the heavens will pass away with a roar and the elements will be destroyed with intense heat, and the earth and its works will be burned up.

Revelation 16:15 NASB - Behold, I am coming like a thief. Blessed is the one who stays awake and keeps his clothes, so that he will not walk about naked and men will not see his shame.

 

Some Related Verses - When will He come?

Mat 24:42 NASB - Therefore be on the alert, for you do not know which day your Lord is coming.

Mat 24:44 NASB - For this reason you also must be ready; for the Son of Man is coming at an hour when you do not think He will.

Mat 25:13 NASB - Be on the alert then, for you do not know the day nor the hour.

Mar 13:32 NASB - But of that day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but the Father alone.

Revelation 3:3 NASB - So remember what you have received and heard; and keep it, and repent. Therefore if you do not wake up, I will come like a thief, and you will not know at what hour I will come to you.

There is no second coming because it did not happen and it is not going to happen. Read where the idea comes from: 

I Corinthians 7:

25

Now about virgins: I have no command from the Lord, but I give a judgment as one who by the Lord’s mercy is trustworthy.

26

Because of the present crisis, I think that it is good for you to remain as you are.

27

Are you married? Do not seek a divorce. Are you unmarried? Do not look for a wife.

28

But if you do marry, you have not sinned; and if a virgin marries, she has not sinned. But those who marry will face many troubles in this life, and I want to spare you this.

29What I mean, brothers, is that the time is short. From now on those who have wives should live as if they had none; 30those who mourn, as if they did not; those who are happy, as if they were not; those who buy something, as if it were not theirs to keep; 31those who use the things of the world, as if not engrossed in them. For this world in its present form is passing away.

Since this did not happen celibacy developed from these passages.  So we have such in the Catholic Church. Simply because Jesus did not come.  Paul based all this on early Christian teachings because it was part of early Christianity that Jesus was coming back in their life times. Why because Jesus supposedly said so.

Mark 13:28 “Now learn this lesson from the fig tree: As soon as its twigs get tender and its leaves come out, you know that summer is near.

29 Even so, when you see these things happening, you know that it[d] is near, right at the door. 30 Truly I tell you, this generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened. 31 Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away.

   Matthew 24: 30 “Then will appear the sign of the Son of Man in heaven. And then all the peoples of the earth[c] will mourn when they see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven, with power and great glory.[d] 31 And he will send his angels with a loud trumpet call, and they will gather his elect from the four winds, from one end of the heavens to the other.

   

32 “Now learn this lesson from the fig tree: As soon as its twigs get tender and its leaves come out, you know that summer is near. 33 Even so, when you see all these things, you know that it[e] is near, right at the door. 34 Truly I tell you, this generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened. 35

Luke 21:    32 “Truly I tell you, this generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened. 33 Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away.

It did not happen. And even in the second century they were writing stuff to justify it not happening:

II Peter3: 3 Above all, you must understand that in the last days scoffers will come, scoffing and following their own evil desires. 4 They will say, “Where is this ‘coming’ he promised? Ever since our ancestors died, everything goes on as it has since the beginning of creation.” 5 But they deliberately forget that long ago by God’s word the heavens came into being and the earth was formed out of water and by water. 6 By these waters also the world of that time was deluged and destroyed. 7 By the same word the present heavens and earth are reserved for fire, being kept for the day of judgment and destruction of the ungodly.

It was a failed prophecy. Christianity was built on it but it never happened. Christians need to get over it.  It has nothing to do with today. It was supposed to happen in the 1st Century CE. It did not JUST GET OVER IT.

 

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whip cream."--Frank Zappa

http://atheisticgod.blogspot.com/ Books on atheism


Hesed
Theist
Hesed's picture
Posts: 105
Joined: 2010-07-15
User is offlineOffline
These events (e.g., the

These events (e.g., the Great Tribulation, the sign of Christ’s return, and the end of the age) did not occur in the lifetime of Christ’s hearers. Therefore, it is reasonable to understand their fulfillment as something yet to come. This calls for a closer examination of the meaning of “generation” for meanings other than that of Jesus’ contemporaries. First, “generation” in Greek (genea) can mean “race.” In this particular instance, Jesus’ statement could mean that the Jewish race would not pass away until all things are fulfilled. Since there were many promises to Israel, including the eternal inheritance of the land of Palestine (Gen. 12; 14–15; 17) and the Davidic kingdom (2 Sam. 7), then Jesus could be referring to God’s preservation of the nation of Israel in order to fulfill His promises to them. Indeed, Paul speaks of a future of the nation of Israel when they will be reinstated in God’s covenantal promises (Rom. 11:11–26). And Jesus’ response to His disciples’ last question implied there would yet be a future kingdom for Israel, when they asked: “Lord, will You at this time restore the kingdom to Israel?” Rather than rebuking them for their misunderstanding, He replied that “It is not for you to know times or seasons which the Father has put in His own authority” (Acts 1:6–7). Indeed, Paul in Romans 11 speaks of the nation of Israel being restored to God’s promised blessings (cf. vv. 25–26).Second, “generation” could also refer to a generation in its commonly understood sense of the people alive at the time indicated. In this case, “generation” would refer to the group of people who are alive when these things come to pass in the future. In other words, the generation alive when these things (the abomination of desolation [v.15], the great tribulation such as has never been seen before [v. 21], the sign of the Son of Man in heaven [v. 30], etc.) begin to come to pass will still be alive when these judgments are completed. Since it is commonly believed that the tribulation is a period of some seven years (Dan. 9:27; cf. Rev. 11:2) at the end of the age, then Jesus would be saying that “this generation” alive at the beginning of the tribulation will still be alive at the end of it. In any event, there is no reason to assume that Jesus made the obviously false assertion that the world would come to an end within the lifetime of His contemporaries.

Greater love has no man than this, that he lay down his life for a friend.


TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
Posts: 1367
Joined: 2011-02-06
User is offlineOffline
Hesed wrote:These events

Hesed wrote:

These events (e.g., the Great Tribulation, the sign of Christ’s return, and the end of the age) did not occur in the lifetime of Christ’s hearers. Therefore, it is reasonable to understand their fulfillment as something yet to come. This calls for a closer examination of the meaning of “generation” for meanings other than that of Jesus’ contemporaries. First, “generation” in Greek (genea) can mean “race.” In this particular instance, Jesus’ statement could mean that the Jewish race would not pass away until all things are fulfilled. Since there were many promises to Israel, including the eternal inheritance of the land of Palestine (Gen. 12; 14–15; 17) and the Davidic kingdom (2 Sam. 7), then Jesus could be referring to God’s preservation of the nation of Israel in order to fulfill His promises to them. Indeed, Paul speaks of a future of the nation of Israel when they will be reinstated in God’s covenantal promises (Rom. 11:11–26). And Jesus’ response to His disciples’ last question implied there would yet be a future kingdom for Israel, when they asked: “Lord, will You at this time restore the kingdom to Israel?” Rather than rebuking them for their misunderstanding, He replied that “It is not for you to know times or seasons which the Father has put in His own authority” (Acts 1:6–7). Indeed, Paul in Romans 11 speaks of the nation of Israel being restored to God’s promised blessings (cf. vv. 25–26).Second, “generation” could also refer to a generation in its commonly understood sense of the people alive at the time indicated. In this case, “generation” would refer to the group of people who are alive when these things come to pass in the future. In other words, the generation alive when these things (the abomination of desolation [v.15], the great tribulation such as has never been seen before [v. 21], the sign of the Son of Man in heaven [v. 30], etc.) begin to come to pass will still be alive when these judgments are completed. Since it is commonly believed that the tribulation is a period of some seven years (Dan. 9:27; cf. Rev. 11:2) at the end of the age, then Jesus would be saying that “this generation” alive at the beginning of the tribulation will still be alive at the end of it. In any event, there is no reason to assume that Jesus made the obviously false assertion that the world would come to an end within the lifetime of His contemporaries.

It is not reasonable to think that it is something to come. Your scripture was specific as to when...the generation of Jesus. The reason you think it is reasonable is because you do not want failure on the part of your scripture, Jesus, or your religion.  The context clearly means time period of one generation  in all of the texts with Paul's in I Corinthian 7 showing it to be understood and 2 Peter 3 showing that people had realized it had not happened.  The Jerusalem Church developed into the Ebionites and continued to wait for Jesus to return in "their lifetime" stretching out the meaning of generation. Everything that your post has is simply an attempt to maintain the idea of Jesus that he preached when he was alive: the Kingdom of God has drawn near.  After he died the disciples believed what Jesus meant was that it would happen in their generation.  They were wrong Paul was wrong and so was the author of II Peter.  Looks like that makes you just as wrong. Your apologetics are rehashes of stuff people have tried to sale to others for generations. In the 1800's Darby popularized  the idea of the Rapture and the tribulation which goes back to Increase and Cotton Mather.  Their gernation gave us the Second Great Awakening with people sitting in trees so that Jesus could pluck them up easier. Jesus did not come. So we wound up with the 7 Day Avdentist Church who gave us the invention of cold cereal at that time and the Watchtower Publishing which gave us a second coming in 1914 in their president's office and thus the Jehovah's Witnesses.  Pentecostalism also began in that  little awakening of the early 20th century. Though I did find some dog howlings and a little speaking in tongues in the Second Awakening cir. 1850's also in Great Britain.

From a non-believer's perspective you are trying to defend the Bible with the Bible so that if it is in error you try to find a biblical belief around it.  But the Bible is full of false statements, failed prophecy, contradictions, fabrications and forgeries.

 

 

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whip cream."--Frank Zappa

http://atheisticgod.blogspot.com/ Books on atheism


zozjudges
Posts: 2
Joined: 2011-05-21
User is offlineOffline
JUDGMENT DAY (May 21 - 2011)

I, Dennis Markuze aka David Mabus suck.  I suck so hard that I can pull a tennis ball through a garden hose.


 


iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
Posts: 3350
Joined: 2008-03-23
User is onlineOnline
oh fuck you, you piece of

oh fuck you, you piece of shit.  just come around me and i've got a length of rubber hose for you and your bullshit.

 

"I asked my father,
I said, 'Father change my name.'
The one I'm using now it's covered up
with fear and filth and cowardice and shame."
--Leonard Cohen


iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
Posts: 3350
Joined: 2008-03-23
User is onlineOnline
i wonder if harold camping

i wonder if harold camping would survive if i pushed him down a flight of fucking stairs...


Anymouse (not verified)
Posts: 4294964979
Joined: 1969-12-31
User is offlineOffline
Concerning to-day's scheduled end-of-the-world

I looked all over Family Radio's Website (that took some intestinal fortitude), and could not determine whether its prediction for the Rapture, scheduled for to-day, was to occur everywhere at once, or would be by time zone.

On another topic, a friend pointed out to me that should such a thing actually occur, he plans on scoring a surround sound stereo and wide screen TV, as the looting opportunities should be near-endless.

James


Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
Sapient's picture
Posts: 7522
Joined: 2006-04-18
User is offlineOffline
NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:So

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

So what do these tards do tomorow, start by getting the decals removed I guess?  I literally can't understand the mindset that would lead one to believe the rapture is coming, and drive around warning people, it is so far from anything reasonable I don't even know what to say, poor kids of these people.

Maybe they thought they could force the hand of God?

 

- Brian Sapient


Buy popular atheist books and support the Rational Response Squad at the same time on Amazon.


redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
Posts: 1971
Joined: 2011-01-04
User is offlineOffline
Hesed wrote: These events

Hesed wrote:
These events (e.g., the Great Tribulation, the sign of Christ’s return, and the end of the age) did not occur in the lifetime of Christ’s hearers. Therefore, it is reasonable to...

No, it's not.

It was never a reasonable belief. And it never will be.

Hesed wrote:
This calls for a closer examination of...

Your skulls.

Seriously.

You're all really dysfunctional, if you haven't grown out of this fantasy myth, and this bullshit resonates with you.

Do you read your horoscope everyday as well?

 

 

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris


robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
Posts: 2481
Joined: 2010-02-20
User is offlineOffline
 The bible is not

 

The bible is not christianity it's what the many forms of christianity are based on as well as a few other religions. They take the parts they like and ignore the parts they don't and make up some of their own shit, stir it in a frothy mixture of faith, drop in a few eye of newt, bat wings, cherry kool aid and some other bullshit. Cook to boiling let it simmer then cool and some screwball leader type drinks it in and wallah, religious cult.

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin


TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
Posts: 1367
Joined: 2011-02-06
User is offlineOffline
zozjudges

zozjudges wrote:




T

METAPHYSICAL GHOSTS
 

You know your stuff is way too long to bother decrypting it. Do you like wasting time, energy and emotions. Do you know how to directly speak? Would you like to present a direct argument that is worth the time of a response? Or would you like to simply shut up?


C.S. Lewis said, "The apocalyptic beliefs of the first Christians have been proved to be false. It is clear from the New Testament that they all expected the Second Coming in their own lifetime. And, worse still, they had a reason, and one which you will find very embarrassing. Their Master had told them so. He shared, and indeed created, their delusion. He said in so many words, 'This generation shall not pass till all these things be done.' And He was wrong. He clearly knew no more about the end of the world than anyone else. This is certainly the most embarrassing verse in the Bible." (Essay "The World's Last Night" (1960), found in

The Essential C.S. Lewis

, p. 385)

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whip cream."--Frank Zappa

http://atheisticgod.blogspot.com/ Books on atheism


TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
Posts: 1367
Joined: 2011-02-06
User is offlineOffline
Hesed wrote:These events

Hesed wrote:

These events (e.g., the Great Tribulation, the sign of Christ’s return, and the end of the age) did not occur in the lifetime of Christ’s hearers. Therefore, it is reasonable to understand their fulfillment as something yet to come. This calls for a closer examination of the meaning of “generation” for meanings other than that of Jesus’ contemporaries. First, “generation” in Greek (genea) can mean “race.” In this particular instance, Jesus’ statement could mean that the Jewish race would not pass away until all things are fulfilled. Since there were many promises to Israel, including the eternal inheritance of the land of Palestine (Gen. 12; 14–15; 17) and the Davidic kingdom (2 Sam. 7), then Jesus could be referring to God’s preservation of the nation of Israel in order to fulfill His promises to them. Indeed, Paul speaks of a future of the nation of Israel when they will be reinstated in God’s covenantal promises (Rom. 11:11–26). And Jesus’ response to His disciples’ last question implied there would yet be a future kingdom for Israel, when they asked: “Lord, will You at this time restore the kingdom to Israel?” Rather than rebuking them for their misunderstanding, He replied that “It is not for you to know times or seasons which the Father has put in His own authority” (Acts 1:6–7). Indeed, Paul in Romans 11 speaks of the nation of Israel being restored to God’s promised blessings (cf. vv. 25–26).Second, “generation” could also refer to a generation in its commonly understood sense of the people alive at the time indicated. In this case, “generation” would refer to the group of people who are alive when these things come to pass in the future. In other words, the generation alive when these things (the abomination of desolation [v.15], the great tribulation such as has never been seen before [v. 21], the sign of the Son of Man in heaven [v. 30], etc.) begin to come to pass will still be alive when these judgments are completed. Since it is commonly believed that the tribulation is a period of some seven years (Dan. 9:27; cf. Rev. 11:2) at the end of the age, then Jesus would be saying that “this generation” alive at the beginning of the tribulation will still be alive at the end of it. In any event, there is no reason to assume that Jesus made the obviously false assertion that the world would come to an end within the lifetime of His contemporaries.

By the way:

The IDEA OF RACE DOES NOT WORK EVEN IF IT FIT THE CONTEXT BECAUSE:

The Encyclopedia Brittanica (1973)
"The Jews As A Race: The findings of physical anthropology show that, contrary to the popular view, there is no Jewish race. Anthropornetric measurements of Jewish groups in many parts of the world indicate that they differ greatly from one another with respect to all the important physical characteristics." (vol. 12, page 1054)

Encyclopedia Judaica Jerusalem (1971)
"It is a common assumption, and one that sometimes seems ineradicable even in the face of evidence to the contrary, that the Jews of today constitute a race, a homogeneous entity easily recognizable. From the preceding discussion of the origin and early history of the Jews, it should be clear that in the course of their formation as a people and a nation they had already assimilated a variety of racial strains from people moving into the general area they occupied. This had taken place by interbreeding and then by conversion to Judaism of a considerable number of communities. . . .

"Thus, the diversity of the racial and genetic attributes of various Jewish colonies of today renders any unified racial classification of them a contradiction in terms. Despite this, many people readily accept the notion that they are a distinct race. This is probably reinforced by the fact that some Jews are recognizably different in appearance from the surrounding population. That many cannot be easily identified is overlooked and the stereotype for some is extended to all­a not uncommon phenomenon" (Encyclopedia Judaica Jerusalem, 1971, vol. 3: p. 50).

Encyclopedia Americana (1986)
"Racial and Ethnic Considerations. Some theorists have considered the Jews a distinct race, although this has no factual basis. In every country in which the Jews lived for a considerable time, their physical traits came to approximate those of the indigenous people. Hence the Jews belong to several distinct racial types, ranging, for example, from fair to dark. Among the reasons for this phenomenon are voluntary or involuntary miscegenation and the conversion of Gentiles to Judaism" (Encyclopedia Americana, 1986, vol. 16: p. 71).

Collier's Encyclopedia (1977)
"A common error and persistent modern myth is the designation of the Jews as a 'race.' This is scientifically fallacious, from the standpoint of both physical and historical tradition. Investigations by anthropologists have shown that Jews are by no means uniform in physical character and that they nearly always reflect the physical and mental characteristics of the people among whom they live" (Collier's Encyclopedia,1977, vol. 13: p. 573).

Today, being a Jew simply means that one is of the Judaistic religion or a convert to it, or else in a "brotherhood" of those who are. Therefore, being a Jew has nothing to do with race. We are familiar with a number of notable figures, such as Sammy Davis, Jr., Elizabeth Taylor, and Tom Arnold, in fact, who became Jews by conversion to the religion of Judaism.

John Bray said, "Many Christians do not know that the vast majority of so-called Jews in the world today are the Ashkenazim Jews, while the remainder of them are the Sephardim Jews. The Ashkenazim Jews have as their background not the nation of Israel but a country called Khazaria, which country at one time was the largest country in Europe. The settlers of Khazaria were Turks and Huns. In A.D. 740 King Bulan of Khazaria decided to adopt the Judaistic religion for his country. A number of Jews were already living there. So he converted to Judaism, along with all his officials, and whole nation ended up being known as a nation of Jews. In 970 Russia came in and dominated the situation, and the Khazars were scattered, many of them going down into Poland and Lithuania. Where at the dawn of our modern civilization the largest concentration of Jews were found. Today, the largest percentage of so-called Jews in the world have as their background this group of people." (This information is fully documented in detail in John Bray's book Israel in Bible Prophecy)

Funk and Wagnall's New Encyclopedia (1970)
"In 1970 the Israeli Knesset adopted legislation defining a Jew as one born of a Jewish mother or a convert." (vol. 14: p. 214)

H.G. Wells
"There can be little doubt that the scattered Phoenicians in Spain and Africa and throughout the Mediterranean, speaking as they did a language closely akin to Hebrew and being deprived of their authentic political rights, became proselytes to Judaism. For phases of vigorous proselytism alternated with phases of exclusive jealousy in Jewish history. On one occasion the Idumeans, being conquered, were all forcibly made Jews. There were Arab tribes who were Jews in the time of Muhammad, and a Turkish people who were mainly Jews in South Russia in the ninth century. Judaism is indeed the reconstructed political ideal of many shattered peoples - mainly Semitic.... The main part of Jewry never was in Judea and had never come out of Judea" (The Outline of History)

Therefore, we can clearly and confidently assert that there is no such thing as a Jewish race, nor ever can there be. These facts are devastating to Dispensationalism. There are no twelve tribes today, there is no Jewish race today.

We know that there is no possibility that this passage of the Olivet Discourse has any relation to a future Jewish race, since there is no such thing. Since the fall of Jerusalem and the scattering of the nation of Israel in the first century, the nation calling itself Israel has consisted of a collection of people from nearly every nation in the world, with no relation to the twelve tribes of the historical nation known as Israel. Any attempts to state that there is, or will ever again be, a race of Israelites are proven to be futile and of no force. There is no Jewish race. So, as you can see, to try to translate the word genea as race, does not fly.

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whip cream."--Frank Zappa

http://atheisticgod.blogspot.com/ Books on atheism


Atheistextremist
atheistSilver Member
Atheistextremist's picture
Posts: 5100
Joined: 2009-09-17
User is offlineOffline
Just on the OP briefly

 

Why is it that jesus was to return on solar schedule starting in that outpost of heresy New Zealand? You'd think he'd just come all at once everywhere (yeah, I know), or simply appear in one place and let Twitter do the rest?

 

 

 

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck


redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
Posts: 1971
Joined: 2011-01-04
User is offlineOffline
I brake for the Rapture


wingless_sephiroth
atheist
wingless_sephiroth's picture
Posts: 117
Joined: 2011-04-03
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:John Bray said,

 

Quote:
John Bray said, "Many Christians do not know that the vast majority of so-called Jews in the world today are the Ashkenazim Jews, while the remainder of them are the Sephardim Jews. The Ashkenazim Jews have as their background not the nation of Israel but a country called Khazaria, which country at one time was the largest country in Europe. The settlers of Khazaria were Turks and Huns. In A.D. 740 King Bulan of Khazaria decided to adopt the Judaistic religion for his country. A number of Jews were already living there. So he converted to Judaism, along with all his officials, and whole nation ended up being known as a nation of Jews. In 970 Russia came in and dominated the situation, and the Khazars were scattered, many of them going down into Poland and Lithuania. Where at the dawn of our modern civilization the largest concentration of Jews were found. Today, the largest percentage of so-called Jews in the world have as their background this group of people." (This information is fully documented in detail in John Bray's book Israel in Bible Prophecy)

 

Most of what you posted was spot on, but this part is rubbish and is verifiably refutable. Additionally, even though Jewish people have intermarried, have had converts, and as are such extremely diverse, genetic markers do prove a Middle Eastern origin. In addition, these genetic markers prove that Palestinians are, above all other Semitic groups, the most closely related:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_people#Genetic_studies

 
Still, your thesis is valid; dispensationalists know shit about Jews.


robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
Posts: 2481
Joined: 2010-02-20
User is offlineOffline
At approximately 6:30pm I

At approximately 6:30pm I was driving over a very tall and expansive overpass, it would have been a good opportunity for jesus to have produced an earthquake.

Oh well I guess the gestalt of the combined minds of the religion wasn't quite enough to move the earth.

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin


Anymouse (not verified)
Posts: 4294964979
Joined: 1969-12-31
User is offlineOffline
Next end-of-world prediction

From Religious Tolerance.org http://www.religioustolerance.org/y2k_prob.htm

Remember the dread Y2K problem? The one banks discovered in 1971 when banks issued thirty-year mortgages that expired in 2000 or later, and fixed way back then, before all the alarmist noise? That was only the last of a series of dating problems computers have had. (But not computer dating - I met my wife on an Internet dating site.) The next is 2038:

2038-JAN-19: Many computer program written in C++ will fail on this date at 3:14:07 GMT. Those programs that use the "signed 32 bit long integer" time keeping functions of C/C++ keep time by computing the number of seconds since 1970-JAN-1 at 00:00 GMT. In 2038-JAN-19, they will reach 2,147,483,647 which is the largest number that the program can store. Later dates/times will be expressed in negative integers which are reserved for error codes. The results are unpredictable.

So if the world doesn’t end to-day sometime, this could be the “big one.” We do still have some twenty-seven years to prepare, so they probably won’t come out with a fix for “C” until Dec 2037.
- James
 

"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense." - Buddha

-->


wingless_sephiroth
atheist
wingless_sephiroth's picture
Posts: 117
Joined: 2011-04-03
User is offlineOffline
 If in three decades we're

 If in three decades we're using any programs developed for an x86 compiler, we've probably hit bigger problems on the way.


TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
Posts: 1367
Joined: 2011-02-06
User is offlineOffline
wingless_sephiroth

wingless_sephiroth wrote:

 

Quote:
John Bray said, "Many Christians do not know that the vast majority of so-called Jews in the world today are the Ashkenazim Jews, while the remainder of them are the Sephardim Jews. The Ashkenazim Jews have as their background not the nation of Israel but a country called Khazaria, which country at one time was the largest country in Europe. The settlers of Khazaria were Turks and Huns. In A.D. 740 King Bulan of Khazaria decided to adopt the Judaistic religion for his country. A number of Jews were already living there. So he converted to Judaism, along with all his officials, and whole nation ended up being known as a nation of Jews. In 970 Russia came in and dominated the situation, and the Khazars were scattered, many of them going down into Poland and Lithuania. Where at the dawn of our modern civilization the largest concentration of Jews were found. Today, the largest percentage of so-called Jews in the world have as their background this group of people." (This information is fully documented in detail in John Bray's book Israel in Bible Prophecy)

 

Most of what you posted was spot on, but this part is rubbish and is verifiably refutable. Additionally, even though Jewish people have intermarried, have had converts, and as are such extremely diverse, genetic markers do prove a Middle Eastern origin. In addition, these genetic markers prove that Palestinians are, above all other Semitic groups, the most closely related:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_people#Genetic_studies

 
Still, your thesis is valid; dispensationalists know shit about Jews.

And of course I was simply posting from one of their websites that was to argue that the word genea did not mean race but generation. John Bray is a pre-tribulationist:


http://www.bereanbiblechurch.org/transcripts/mark/13_28-30.htm

Mark 13 was a prophecy that has already been fulfilled, and therefore, has no future fulfillment at all today. It all happened in the generation that heard Jesus speak these words. Jesus said of the days of Jerusalem's fall in A.D.70: because these are days of vengeance, in order that all things which are written may be fulfilled. (Luke 21:22 NASB)All prophecy was fulfilled in the destruction of Jerusalem, which happened in the life time of the generation to which Jesus spoke. Let's not twist and distort Jesus' words to make them fit our views, let's change our views to line up with His words.

I think it is very telling that there is no consistency in interpretation of scripture from one form of christianity to another.  I sometimes respond to jean Chauvin with non-Calviistic conservative quotes to undo the plausibility of the claim. 

But you will note that your quote never mentions race, ethnicity or religion.  Most of the web  sites that are Jewish do not like the term race.  And some do not even like the term ethnicity. Many prefer the focus on religion. I can determine my English heritage by genetic markers as well. And do not doubt the presentation of the article. This is whre John Bray gets his theory:

WIKI: Bulan was a Khazar king who led the conversion of the Khazars to Judaism. His name means "elk" in Old Turkic. The date of his reign is unknown, as the date of the conversion is hotly disputed, though it is certain that Bulan reigned some time between the mid-700s and the mid-800s. Nor is it settled whether Bulan was the Bek or the Khagan of the Khazars.

D. M. Dunlop was certain that Bulan was a Khagan; however, more recent works, such as The Jews of Khazaria by Kevin Brook, assume that he was the Bek due to references to him leading military campaigns. Khazar tradition held that before his own conversion, Bulan was religiously unaffiliated. In his quest to discover which of the three Abrahamic religions would shape his own religious beliefs, he invited representatives from each to explain their fundamental tenets. In the end, he chose Judaism.

WIKI: Usage of the name

In reference to the Jewish peoples of Northern Europe and particularly the Rhineland, the word Ashkenazi is often found in medieval rabbinic literature. References to Ashkenaz in Yosippon and Hasdai ibn Shaprut's letter to the king of the Khazars would date the term as far back as the 10th century, as would also Saadia Gaon's commentary on Daniel 7:8.

The word Ashkenaz first appears in the genealogy in the Tanakh (Genesis 10) as a son of Gomer and grandson of Japheth. It is thought that the name originally applied to the Scythians (Ishkuz), who were called Ashkuza in Assyrian inscriptions, and lake Ascanius and the region Ascania in Anatolia derive their names from this group.

Ashkenaz in later Hebrew tradition became identified with the peoples of Germany, and in particular to the area along the Rhine.

Ashkenaz and the Ashkenazi contrast to the land of Knaan, a geo-ethnological term denoting the Jewish populations living east of the Elbe river as opposed to the Ashkenazi Jews living to the West of it, and the Sephardic Jews of Iberian Peninsula.[19]

The autonym was usually Yidn, however.

Modern history

In an essay on Sephardi Jewry, Daniel Elazar at the Jerusalem Center for Public Affairs[5] summarized the demographic history of Ashkenazi Jews in the last thousand years, noting that at the end of the 11th century, 97% of world Jewry was Sephardic and 3% Ashkenazi; in the mid-17th century, "Sephardim still outnumbered Ashkenazim three to two", but by the end of the 18th century, "Ashkenazim outnumbered Sephardim three to two, the result of improved living conditions in Christian Europe versus the Ottoman Muslim world."[5] By 1931, Ashkenazi Jews accounted for nearly 92% of world Jewry.[5]

Ashkenazi Jews developed the Hasidic movement as well as major Jewish academic centers across Poland, Russia, and Belarus in the generations after emigration from the west. After two centuries of comparative tolerance in the new nations, massive westward emigration occurred in the 19th and 20th centuries in response to pogroms in the east and the economic opportunities offered in other parts of the world. Ashkenazi Jews have made up the majority of the American Jewish community since 1750.[17]

Ashkenazi cultural growth led to the Haskalah or Jewish Enlightenment, and the development of Zionism in modern Europe.
 

However I would refer you to multiple attestations to the claim:

http://judaism.about.com/od/judaismbasics/a/beingjewish.htm

http://www.beingjewish.com/identity/race.html

http://www.jewfaq.org/judaism.htm

Judaism is not a race

Judaism is not a race because Jews do not share one common ancestry. For instance, Ashkenazi Jews and Sephardic Jews are both "Jewish." However, whereas Ashkenazi Jews often hail from Europe, Sephardic Jews often hail from the Middle East. People of many different races have become Jewish over the centuries.

Judaism is not a nationality

Although today Israel is often called the Jewish homeland, being Jewish is not a nationality because Jews have been dispersed throughout the world for almost two thousand years. Hence, Jews come from countries all over the world.

Judaism is both a cultural and religious identity

Being Jewish means that you are part of the Jewish people, whether because you were born into a Jewish home and culturally identify as Jewish or because you practice the Jewish religion (or both).

Cultural Judaism includes things such as Jewish foods, customs and rituals. For instance, many people are born into Jewish homes and are raised eating blintzes and lighting shabbat candles, but never step foot inside a synagogue. A Jewish identity is automatically bestowed on babies of Jewish mothers (according to Orthodox and Conservative Judaism) and of Jewish mothers or fathers (according to Reform Judaism). This Jewish identity stays with them throughout life even if they don't actively practice Judaism.

Religious Judaism includes the beliefs of the Jewish religion. The way a person practices the Jewish religion can take many forms and partially for this reason there are different movements of Judaism. The main denominations are Reform, Conservative, Orthodox and Reconstructionist Judaism. Many people who are born into Jewish homes affiliate with one of these branches, but there are also those who do not.

If a person is not born Jewish, s/he can convert to Judaism by studying with a rabbi and undergoing the process of conversion. Merely believing in the precepts of Judaism is not enough to make someone a Jew. They must complete the conversion process in order to be considered Jewish. Though the different branches of Judaism have varying requirements for conversion, it is safe to say that the conversion process is very meaningful for whomever decides to undertake it.

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whip cream."--Frank Zappa

http://atheisticgod.blogspot.com/ Books on atheism


redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
Posts: 1971
Joined: 2011-01-04
User is offlineOffline
Jesus Fucking Christ!!

Jesus Fucking Christ!!

I forgot to carry the 1 !!!!!

 

 


butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
Posts: 3711
Joined: 2008-09-12
User is offlineOffline
It's about 45 min. past

It's about 45 min. past midnight where I am. The world still looks okay. Woot!

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13623
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Looks like I won't be

Looks like I won't be getting my co-worker's house. It is May 22nd. She said I could have her house if the rapture happened.

Mother fucker!

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
Posts: 5815
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Anyone noticed any people

Anyone noticed any people missing?

If not, this means no-one even qualified for an interview with JC... damn!

He must have decided we didn't need any more earthquakes after Japan...

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology


BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
Posts: 5815
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
www.familyradio.com hasn't

www.familyradio.com hasn't been changed yet, but took a while to come up. Maybe a lot of people checking in to see what they have to say?

Meanwhile, at http://judgementday2011.com

Quote:

Jesus has come, few were saved, even less noticed his presence, but May 21st was still Judgement Day.  If you are reading this blog, then you were not saved by Jesus in the Second Coming, and have been left behind during the End of Days.  There are just five months remaining until the End of The World on October 21 2011.  Prepare yourself for the End Times now by stocking up on water, canned goods, and appropriate clothing before the End of The World.

So now we have to wait for the first signs of the 'End Times'.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13623
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Read the fine print.

Read the fine print. Yesterday was the beginning of the end. October 21st 2011 is the end of the end.

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
Posts: 1367
Joined: 2011-02-06
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Read the fine

Brian37 wrote:

Read the fine print. Yesterday was the beginning of the end. October 21st 2011 is the end of the end.

 

Well I am missing my hamster and poodle.


 

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whip cream."--Frank Zappa

http://atheisticgod.blogspot.com/ Books on atheism


ScientiaPotenti...
Posts: 20
Joined: 2011-04-02
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1

BobSpence1 wrote:

www.familyradio.com hasn't been changed yet, but took a while to come up. Maybe a lot of people checking in to see what they have to say?

Meanwhile, at http://judgementday2011.com

Quote:

Jesus has come, few were saved, even less noticed his presence, but May 21st was still Judgement Day.  If you are reading this blog, then you were not saved by Jesus in the Second Coming, and have been left behind during the End of Days.  There are just five months remaining until the End of The World on October 21 2011.  Prepare yourself for the End Times now by stocking up on water, canned goods, and appropriate clothing before the End of The World.

So now we have to wait for the first signs of the 'End Times'.

 

Soo... who wrote that? Harold himself? And does that mean he wasn't raptured? Bummer being a believer for so long and in the end getting robbed of the reward...

On a side note, Island( the little country northwest of Norway) had one of their "small volcanic activity" just at the time for the proposed rapture. I guess Harold creamed in his pants when he heard that...


TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
Posts: 1367
Joined: 2011-02-06
User is offlineOffline
Heaven is Hell

My Hell is that I did get Raptured. There is no scotch, rock and roll or sex here in heaven. And all of those scripture quotes through the loud speaker constantly, angels never stopping all that praising. Not a very peaceful place.

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whip cream."--Frank Zappa

http://atheisticgod.blogspot.com/ Books on atheism


Atheistextremist
atheistSilver Member
Atheistextremist's picture
Posts: 5100
Joined: 2009-09-17
User is offlineOffline
Was I the only one who had a few

 

moments of fear hoping there would be no rapture? Oh, dear. I thought so...

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck


Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
Sapient's picture
Posts: 7522
Joined: 2006-04-18
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:Meanwhile,

BobSpence1 wrote:

Meanwhile, at http://judgementday2011.com

Quote:

Jesus has come, few were saved, even less noticed his presence, but May 21st was still Judgement Day.  If you are reading this blog, then you were not saved by Jesus in the Second Coming, and have been left behind during the End of Days.  There are just five months remaining until the End of The World on October 21 2011.  Prepare yourself for the End Times now by stocking up on water, canned goods, and appropriate clothing before the End of The World.

So now we have to wait for the first signs of the 'End Times'.

If that's a parody site it's a damn good one.  Anyone know for sure?

 

- Brian Sapient


Buy popular atheist books and support the Rational Response Squad at the same time on Amazon.


NoMoreCrazyPeople
atheistSuperfan
NoMoreCrazyPeople's picture
Posts: 969
Joined: 2009-10-14
User is offlineOffline
Yawn....Morning everyone,

Yawn....Morning everyone, Bwahahhahahahahahah!!!


NoMoreCrazyPeople
atheistSuperfan
NoMoreCrazyPeople's picture
Posts: 969
Joined: 2009-10-14
User is offlineOffline
Quoted from Family Radio's

Quoted from Family Radio's Website:

______________________________________________________________

      God had written in the Holy Bible in Genesis 7:4:
 
  For yet seven days, and I will cause it to rain upon the earth forty days and forty nights; and every living substance that I have made will I destroy from off the face of the earth.

  
      God added in Genesis 7:10-11:
 
  And it came to pass after seven days, that the waters of the Flood were upon the earth. In the six hundredth year of Noah’s life, in the second month, the seventeenth day of the month, the same day were all the fountains of the great deep broken up, and the windows of heaven were opened.

  
      The ark that Noah had built was the only place of safety from the destruction of the Flood. Likewise, God’s gracious mercy is the only place of safety from the destruction that is coming on the Day of Judgment.
 
      In 2 Peter 3:8, which is quoted above, Holy God reminds us that one day is as 1,000 years. Therefore, with the correct understanding that the seven days referred to in Genesis 7:4 can be understood as 7,000 years, we learn that when God told Noah there were seven days to escape worldwide destruction, He was also telling the world there would be exactly 7,000 years (one day is as 1,000 years) to escape the wrath of God that would come when He destroys the world on Judgment Day. Because Holy Infinite God is all-knowing, He knows the end from the beginning. He knew how sinful the world would become.
 
       Seven thousand years after 4990 B.C. (the year of the Flood) is the year 2011 A.D. (our calendar).


4990 + 2011 – 1 = 7,000 
[One year must be subtracted in going from an Old Testament B.C. calendar date to a New Testament A.D. calendar date because the calendar does not have a year zero.]
 
      Thus Holy God is showing us by the words of 2 Peter 3:8 that He wants us to know that exactly 7,000 years after He destroyed the world with water in Noah’s day, He plans to destroy the entire world forever. Because the year 2011 A.D. is exactly 7,000 years after 4990 B.C. when the flood began, the Bible has given us absolute proof that the year 2011 is the end of the world during the Day of Judgment, which will come on the last day of the Day of Judgment.
 
      Amazingly, May 21, 2011 is the 17th day of the 2nd month of the Biblical calendar of our day. Remember, the flood waters also began on the 17th day of the 2nd month, in the year 4990 B.C.
 
      The Holy Bible gives several additional astounding proofs that May 21, 2011 is very accurate as the time for the Day of Judgment. For more information on this subject, you may request a copy of We Are Almost There, available free of charge from Family Radio.

____________________________________________________________________________________

 

EPIC FAIL!!!

 

Edit:  Great video of Camping being asked whether or not Family radio will refund peoples money who danoted based on the may 21 st predictions.   Squirming like the weasel he is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9acwNHKvoo&feature=related 


BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
Posts: 5815
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
I haven't seen any myself,

I haven't seen any myself, not travelling around all that much at the moment, but there were apparently one or two May 21 Apocalypse billboards set up here in Australia.

A criminal waste of money, that could have been put to some good purpose.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology


latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
Posts: 2036
Joined: 2007-06-01
User is offlineOffline
Sapient wrote:BobSpence1

Sapient wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

Meanwhile, at http://judgementday2011.com

Quote:

Jesus has come, few were saved, even less noticed his presence, but May 21st was still Judgement Day.  If you are reading this blog, then you were not saved by Jesus in the Second Coming, and have been left behind during the End of Days.  There are just five months remaining until the End of The World on October 21 2011.  Prepare yourself for the End Times now by stocking up on water, canned goods, and appropriate clothing before the End of The World.

So now we have to wait for the first signs of the 'End Times'.

If that's a parody site it's a damn good one.  Anyone know for sure?

 

Yeah that is a parody site, he states it in the about section, says if you believe him, the jokes on you


Mr_Metaphysics (not verified)
Posts: 4294964979
Joined: 1969-12-31
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:I

Kevin R Brown wrote:

I certainly would like a Christian to explain this to me, without just some hand-waving and trying to dismiss Camping as a fringe crackpot: How is it that your apparently lovely, morally pure religion is such a vector for this sort of disease?

Electricity is also a "vector" for people getting fried to death; food is a "vector" for people getting poisoned; trees are a "vector" for people's houses getting crushed; the water cycle is a "vector" for people getting their homes flooded.  Please tell me that you are not serious about this argument?  Then again, you are an atheist, and poor argumentation and illogic is standard fare.

Really, it is inevitable that atheists are going to latch onto whatever hardships are brought about in the name of religion and say that religion is to blame; it makes their job as atheists much easier.  I could also talk about the bad stuff done by atheists and say that all of atheism is to blame (because, contrary to popular belief, despite what your run-of-the-mill internet atheists would lead you to believe, atheism is a worldview), but I'm not going to do that.  

The Bible clearly states that nobody knows the day or the hour of Christ's return.  Anyone can play hermeneutics and say that the Bible doesn't truly mean that when read in context, but then again you can do that with any book that you read.  Your argument seems to be that religion should be eradicated merely because it has the potential for being the springboard to horrible things; however, it also can be a catalyst for many good things, and your conclusion doesn't follow from the premises anyway; therefore, your argument fails.

But hey, none of this is surprising considering your atheism; atheism, to use your terminology, is a "vector" for this sort of illogic.


TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
Posts: 1367
Joined: 2011-02-06
User is offlineOffline
Mr_Metaphysics wrote:Kevin R

Mr_Metaphysics wrote:

Kevin R Brown wrote:

I certainly would like a Christian to explain this to me, without just some hand-waving and trying to dismiss Camping as a fringe crackpot: How is it that your apparently lovely, morally pure religion is such a vector for this sort of disease?

Electricity is also a "vector" for people getting fried to death; food is a "vector" for people getting poisoned; trees are a "vector" for people's houses getting crushed; the water cycle is a "vector" for people getting their homes flooded.  Please tell me that you are not serious about this argument?  Then again, you are an atheist, and poor argumentation and illogic is standard fare.

Really, it is inevitable that atheists are going to latch onto whatever hardships are brought about in the name of religion and say that religion is to blame; it makes their job as atheists much easier.  I could also talk about the bad stuff done by atheists and say that all of atheism is to blame (because, contrary to popular belief, despite what your run-of-the-mill internet atheists would lead you to believe, atheism is a worldview), but I'm not going to do that.  

The Bible clearly states that nobody knows the day or the hour of Christ's return.  Anyone can play hermeneutics and say that the Bible doesn't truly mean that when read in context, but then again you can do that with any book that you read.  Your argument seems to be that religion should be eradicated merely because it has the potential for being the springboard to horrible things; however, it also can be a catalyst for many good things, and your conclusion doesn't follow from the premises anyway; therefore, your argument fails.

But hey, none of this is surprising considering your atheism; atheism, to use your terminology, is a "vector" for this sort of illogic.

Yes but it was to be before Jesus' generation passed away.


There is no second coming because it did not happen and it is not going to happen. Read where the idea comes from: 

I Corinthians 7:

25Now about virgins: I have no command from the Lord, but I give a judgment as one who by the Lord’s mercy is trustworthy.

26Because of the present crisis, I think that it is good for you to remain as you are.

27Are you married? Do not seek a divorce. Are you unmarried? Do not look for a wife.

28But if you do marry, you have not sinned; and if a virgin marries, she has not sinned. But those who marry will face many troubles in this life, and I want to spare you this.

29What I mean, brothers, is that the time is short. From now on those who have wives should live as if they had none; 30those who mourn, as if they did not; those who are happy, as if they were not; those who buy something, as if it were not theirs to keep; 31those who use the things of the world, as if not engrossed in them. For this world in its present form is passing away.

Since this did not happen celibacy developed from these passages.  So we have such in the Catholic Church. Simply because Jesus did not come.  Paul based all this on early Christian teachings because it was part of early Christianity that Jesus was coming back in their life times. Why because Jesus supposedly said so.

Mark 13:28 “Now learn this lesson from the fig tree: As soon as its twigs get tender and its leaves come out, you know that summer is near.

29 Even so, when you see these things happening, you know that it[d] is near, right at the door. 30 Truly I tell you, this generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened. 31 Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away.

   Matthew 24: 30 “Then will appear the sign of the Son of Man in heaven. And then all the peoples of the earth[c] will mourn when they see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven, with power and great glory.[d] 31 And he will send his angels with a loud trumpet call, and they will gather his elect from the four winds, from one end of the heavens to the other.

   

32 “Now learn this lesson from the fig tree: As soon as its twigs get tender and its leaves come out, you know that summer is near. 33 Even so, when you see all these things, you know that it[e] is near, right at the door. 34 Truly I tell you, this generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened. 35

Luke 21:    32 “Truly I tell you, this generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened. 33 Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away.

Hebrew 9: 26For then must he often have suffered since the foundation of the world: but now once in the end of the world hath he appeared to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself.

It did not happen. And even in the second century they were writing stuff to justify it not happening:

II Peter3: 3 Above all, you must understand that in the last days scoffers will come, scoffing and following their own evil desires. 4 They will say, “Where is this ‘coming’ he promised? Ever since our ancestors died, everything goes on as it has since the beginning of creation.” 5 But they deliberately forget that long ago by God’s word the heavens came into being and the earth was formed out of water and by water. 6 By these waters also the world of that time was deluged and destroyed. 7 By the same word the present heavens and earth are reserved for fire, being kept for the day of judgment and destruction of the ungodly.

It was a failed prophecy. Christianity was built on it but it never happened. Christians need to get over it.  It has nothing to do with today. It was supposed to happen in the 1st Century CE. It did not JUST GET OVER IT.

 

 

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whip cream."--Frank Zappa

http://atheisticgod.blogspot.com/ Books on atheism


BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
Posts: 5815
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Mr_Metaphysics wrote:Kevin R

Mr_Metaphysics wrote:

Kevin R Brown wrote:

I certainly would like a Christian to explain this to me, without just some hand-waving and trying to dismiss Camping as a fringe crackpot: How is it that your apparently lovely, morally pure religion is such a vector for this sort of disease?

Electricity is also a "vector" for people getting fried to death; food is a "vector" for people getting poisoned; trees are a "vector" for people's houses getting crushed; the water cycle is a "vector" for people getting their homes flooded.  Please tell me that you are not serious about this argument?  Then again, you are an atheist, and poor argumentation and illogic is standard fare.

Really, it is inevitable that atheists are going to latch onto whatever hardships are brought about in the name of religion and say that religion is to blame; it makes their job as atheists much easier.  I could also talk about the bad stuff done by atheists and say that all of atheism is to blame (because, contrary to popular belief, despite what your run-of-the-mill internet atheists would lead you to believe, atheism is a worldview), but I'm not going to do that.  

The Bible clearly states that nobody knows the day or the hour of Christ's return.  Anyone can play hermeneutics and say that the Bible doesn't truly mean that when read in context, but then again you can do that with any book that you read.  Your argument seems to be that religion should be eradicated merely because it has the potential for being the springboard to horrible things; however, it also can be a catalyst for many good things, and your conclusion doesn't follow from the premises anyway; therefore, your argument fails.

But hey, none of this is surprising considering your atheism; atheism, to use your terminology, is a "vector" for this sort of illogic.

A "vector" for a disease is something that provides a congenial host for the infecting organism, and also helps it spread - this does not apply to any of the examples you gave, but then we already knew you were an misinformed illogical nutter, Mr_M, you are just reinforcing those credentials yet again. You provide us with yet another example of the mental damage religion can wreak.

Whereas religion, being based on appeals to fear (of death), and more promises to address other anxieties of existence, and dismissing the need for logic and proper evidence and independent verification, creates a very congenial psychological environment for all kinds of other interpretations of the mish-mash of nonsense it purveys.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology