Atheist musicians.

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
Posts: 4214
Joined: 2008-11-11
User is offlineOffline
Atheist musicians.

 

Atheist musicians.

 

I know that there are several of us around here. Let's get to know each other as more than just a bunch of godless people. Tell us all a bio and some other stuff.

 

Of course it is on me to start.

 

I play bass and keyboard. Mostly 60's and 70's in the blues/progrock genre. Sadly, the keyboards are all in storage ATM but they will be coming out when I get a handle on my spring cleaning. As for the bass gear, I have this list:

 

Peavey Millenium 5 BXP. Stock J+J pickups and Elixr nanoweb strings.

 

Fender four string. I can't find the actual model number despite the fact that the serial number is trivially traceable. Odd, yes but it is what it is. What I can tell is that it is a late 90's Japanese item. I got it really cheap because the last guy did not know what he had and he let it suffer a bit. Replaced the strings and tightened up stuff and it is now worth probably five times what I paid for it. Currently running a cheap set of flat wounds (as if there is such a thing as cheap bass strings).

 

Schecter custom 5. OK, I tried every ax in the store and this was the one for me. It is the one that I am playing in most of my videos. Since I did the videos, it got a set of DR flats. Can you make a great instrument better? Yah, put great strings on it.

 

For amps, I have a few.

 

Hartke Kickback 15. 120x15 but with a replacement speaker. I got it used with the new speaker so I can't really complain but it is way heavier than spec. Still, it is enough for medium sized rooms with sound dampening furniture. It will cut through reasonable drummers but not Niel Peart fans.

 

Hartke HA 5500. 500 watt head @ 4 ohms. This is the main power rig for blasting when needed. Active and passive inputs. Tube and transistor preamps in parrallel. The inline compressor does not seem to do much, as if I care at that point. Two equalizers in series (ten band and two band).

 

I play that with a Genz Bens Neox 2x12 cab @ 4 ohms so I get the full 500 watts if I open it up.

 

Marshall MG 30 for grab and go stuff. 30x12. Yah, if you look at the Marshall website, you will only find the MG30 in 30x10 form, so I have to assume that I got some type of rare unit here. It will fill small rooms but I doubt that it could handle even a small bar. Actually, the Kickback in a bar would only be useful as a monitor but even so...

 

The only nit that I have with the Marshall is that it has a really sterile sound coming from the digital part. Even the clean sound is not really alive. Then the crunch is about the same. I know, sterile crunch does not make a whole lot of sense but you have the hear it. Here is a youtube link that might make it fairly obvious:

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIdz11uNcVE&feature=related

 

That much being said, it was only a couple hundred bucks and I can grab it and throw it in the back seat of someone's car when I need to. Since it has the open back, there are a few 80's stomp boxes living there. I suppose that Jim Marshall should be applauded for getting right as much as he did with this but if a grab and go amp needs cheap stomp boxes to get good, then he could have done better.

 

For rack mount gear, again, stuff.

 

I have a six space case with rollers and a “suitcase” type of handle for moving it around. In no special order, I have this set up:

 

BOSS GT-Pro. Front panel connection for axes. Something like 50 stomp boxes built in alog with all the other modern goodies. A whole bunch of effect loop connections so that I can put stuff in parallel as I feel like.

 

Groove Tubes Trio preamp. Three different 12ax7 tube preamps in one box. Push button and foot switch selectable. Channel one is the pre-CBS fender black face circuit. Channel two is the Fender tweed circuit. Chanel three is an early 70's Marshall circuit. I can also use channel two to predrive channel 3.

 

A Behringer compressor/limiter. Yah, I know that it is Behringer. Sad panda would apply but for one fact. The day that I bought it, my LMS has three compressors in stock. Two of them were old used units with hardly anything for features. That and the Behringer. That and what really can go wrong with a compressor limiter anyway?

 

The last space is the power conditioner. I suppose that the fact that it has lights is a good thing but when I move stuff around, I put the cover on first so no settings ever really get messed in moving stuff around. So yah, I have yet to actually use the lights.

 

The whole deal is pretty much one big box of plug and play stuff.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=


Jean Chauvin
Theistard
Jean Chauvin's picture
Posts: 1211
Joined: 2010-11-19
User is offlineOffline
Hello

Hello,

Historically speaking, atheism loves framentation. I think for the best example of this can be seen in art. Via the 1913 Art show that gave birth to modern art via Duchamp's Staircase and The Cubanism of Pacaso. We see the process of fragmentation in a culture in history, for example like in Rome. The art grew weaker and worse as the culture went to pots.

A soceity loses it's backbone and strength when it neglects the reality of God's Being and the ethics and virtures that flow from the consequence of that thinking.

It got to the point where art is now in the eye of the beholder (atheism) and where a crucifix was in a jar of piss in the 80's as art. We also see this in the cinema with "Blow Up" among other atheistic movies.

Yes, I saw that you discussed Cage after I posted it. John Cage hated music and order.

Christianity has been the means of unity. Now, of course sin caused disunity, however, via the position of Christ alone, is where we find that unity and where communities come together in all areas of thinking including the liberal arts and all categories of education and thought.

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).

A Rational Christian of Intelligence (rare)with a valid and sound justification for my epistemology and a logical refutation for those with logical fallacies and false worldviews upon their normative of thinking in retrospect to objective normative(s). This is only understood via the imago dei in which we all are.

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).


jcgadfly
SuperfanBronze Member
Posts: 6789
Joined: 2006-07-18
User is offlineOffline
Jean Chauvin

Jean Chauvin wrote:

Hello,

Historically speaking, atheism loves framentation. I think for the best example of this can be seen in art. Via the 1913 Art show that gave birth to modern art via Duchamp's Staircase and The Cubanism of Pacaso. We see the process of fragmentation in a culture in history, for example like in Rome. The art grew weaker and worse as the culture went to pots.

A soceity loses it's backbone and strength when it neglects the reality of God's Being and the ethics and virtures that flow from the consequence of that thinking.

It got to the point where art is now in the eye of the beholder (atheism) and where a crucifix was in a jar of piss in the 80's as art. We also see this in the cinema with "Blow Up" among other atheistic movies.

Yes, I saw that you discussed Cage after I posted it. John Cage hated music and order.

Christianity has been the means of unity. Now, of course sin caused disunity, however, via the position of Christ alone, is where we find that unity and where communities come together in all areas of thinking including the liberal arts and all categories of education and thought.

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).

Translation: Christians like Jean here are untalented and boring.

Jealous, Jean?

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin


TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
Posts: 1367
Joined: 2011-02-06
User is offlineOffline
   CLAPTON IS GOD

 

 

 


CLAPTON IS GOD


Jean Chauvin
Theistard
Jean Chauvin's picture
Posts: 1211
Joined: 2010-11-19
User is offlineOffline
Hello

Hello,

Funny. It is difficult for atheist to be funny. Atheists that try to be funny are no HBO and say F U  and Ffing that, and F my neignbor. It's not humor, it's mental disorders.

But some of the highest qualities of art is found in Chrisitan Dutch Art of the 1700's. They painted what was real. They made a philospohical statement that God is, and His creation is beautiful. The art of Impressionalism and abstract art is a philospohically statement that there is no God, and that reality is not.

I am not taking away their skill, but purely evaluation their philosopicaly means. Look at our money. Our money in the 40's and 50's were more defined, now it is flat and dead. A reflection of our soceity turning away from God and to self.

We are now living in the age of non-art. I evaulation art objectity. Study the art of the Dutch Christians compared to the filth now. Duchamp said that he paints to hurt, and that the blank canvas before he paints he sees as dirty ass's. You preverts may like that.

Nevertheless, atheim via art, (music, painting, sculpters, cinema) have fragmented thinking, not united it. This has been the goal of strategic atheism.

But you guys aren't atheists. You're wimps like Sapient. You're "atheist agnostics" as Sapient has said which O'Hair said was nothing more then an atheist with no guys.

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).

A Rational Christian of Intelligence (rare)with a valid and sound justification for my epistemology and a logical refutation for those with logical fallacies and false worldviews upon their normative of thinking in retrospect to objective normative(s). This is only understood via the imago dei in which we all are.

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).


jcgadfly
SuperfanBronze Member
Posts: 6789
Joined: 2006-07-18
User is offlineOffline
Jean Chauvin

Jean Chauvin wrote:

Hello,

Funny. It is difficult for atheist to be funny. Atheists that try to be funny are no HBO and say F U  and Ffing that, and F my neignbor. It's not humor, it's mental disorders.

But some of the highest qualities of art is found in Chrisitan Dutch Art of the 1700's. They painted what was real. They made a philospohical statement that God is, and His creation is beautiful. The art of Impressionalism and abstract art is a philospohically statement that there is no God, and that reality is not.

I am not taking away their skill, but purely evaluation their philosopicaly means. Look at our money. Our money in the 40's and 50's were more defined, now it is flat and dead. A reflection of our soceity turning away from God and to self.

We are now living in the age of non-art. I evaulation art objectity. Study the art of the Dutch Christians compared to the filth now. Duchamp said that he paints to hurt, and that the blank canvas before he paints he sees as dirty ass's. You preverts may like that.

Nevertheless, atheim via art, (music, painting, sculpters, cinema) have fragmented thinking, not united it. This has been the goal of strategic atheism.

But you guys aren't atheists. You're wimps like Sapient. You're "atheist agnostics" as Sapient has said which O'Hair said was nothing more then an atheist with no guys.

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).

You mean when the Dutch outgrew Calvinism, Jean?

Still leaves you as a jealous little boy who rages at what he can;t do.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin


cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
Posts: 3330
Joined: 2007-01-05
User is offlineOffline
TGBaker wrote:   CLAPTON

TGBaker wrote:

 

 

 


CLAPTON IS GOD

 

Archangel, maybe.  Hendrix is still #1 on Rolling Stone's list.

 

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.


TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
Posts: 1367
Joined: 2011-02-06
User is offlineOffline
cj wrote:TGBaker

cj wrote:

TGBaker wrote:

 

 

 


CLAPTON IS GOD

 

Archangel, maybe.  Hendrix is still #1 on Rolling Stone's list.

 

My pick is Hendrix as well. I have a definitive collection of every bootleg you can think of Hendrix ( as well as the Beatles and Zep). I was just playing with the old graffiti of the mid-sixties. If you google the statement you see a lot of what popped up on walls during that time. His early stuff is great as well as his Crossroads DVD's.

 

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whip cream."--Frank Zappa

http://atheisticgod.blogspot.com/ Books on atheism


Jean Chauvin
Theistard
Jean Chauvin's picture
Posts: 1211
Joined: 2010-11-19
User is offlineOffline
Hi JCG

Hi JCG,

Isn't it interesting, that I gave you a varity of issues, and you pick this out due to your stubborn wickedness. The Dutch did not outgrow Christianity, they were paganized via Communism Marxism and Higher Criticism which was a atheistic attack from Germany. America was the same way, but Europe got his harder.

But this is all talked about in Scripture. How in the last days the world will be lusting after nothing or the death of everything to glorfiy their foolish selves. Not even from a Christian atheist position, but just from a philosophical position, atheism is the death and fragmentation to all. They're idiots farting in the wind.

Everything they touch dies. Philosopically speaking.  

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).

 

 

A Rational Christian of Intelligence (rare)with a valid and sound justification for my epistemology and a logical refutation for those with logical fallacies and false worldviews upon their normative of thinking in retrospect to objective normative(s). This is only understood via the imago dei in which we all are.

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).


luca
atheist
Posts: 399
Joined: 2011-02-21
User is offlineOffline
crossroads

Quote:
So you were in charge of ordering the pizza?

j/k dude. The last band that I was in and for the last couple of years, we were drummerless so as the bass player, that kind of fell to me. Oddly enough, I was also the guy who found new stuff for us on youtube. Sadly, I could never get the rest of them to play Buck Naked and the Bare Bottom Boys. I think is was the dropping of trousers that they had a problem with.


WHAT?! No, I was not ordering the pizza, I was bringing my computer (with a decent audio card) so we could record something and I could adjust the eq for the bass, the feedback of the singer, and of course use some decent sound banks for my electronic drumset. Also we could play songs and read tabs. But for that everyone has his notebook.
I don't know what "j/k dude" and "dropping of trousers" means.

Quote:
On this, I really have to agree. I play what I like and I like too much to go into in a single post. Since my blues/60's band broke up, I have mostly been exploring folk music. I don't know but most people probably think of it as simple stuff. Really it can get as tricky at points as any other genre.

The owner of the place where we play has studied as a pianist, but then got into guitar, and thanks to him (and the bassist) I was introducted to blues and to traditional genres (like bossa nova). Without a shade of a doubt there's no need to play michaelangelo batio to get things complicated. It depends on your talent.

Quote:
As far as simply liking bass, well, that is in the same area as liking any instrument, I suppose.

Yes, but I had the possibility to extensively try a bass. What I like specifically of it is that sonically it can fit everywhere, and it's not 'noisy' in the sense that does not occupy 20KHz of band like a distorted guitar, so it does not interfere with other sounds. Apart from technicalities like these, I appreciate the melodies you can play with it too. My bassist (whose name is like mine so I will not call him with his name) showed me for example solar groove, of myung. Also he would not touch probably anything with more than 4 strings, would like to buy an acoustic one (they seems funny, and if he takes one I will try it for sure) and likes the "double bass" (I call it simply contrabbasso, on the dictionary it says in english it's double bass).

Quote:
I am a bigger fan of Shostakovich.

I approve.

-----

Quote:
A soceity loses it's backbone and strength when it neglects the reality of God's Being and the ethics and virtures that flow from the consequence of that thinking.

Strange, because it occourred to me that one of the longest empires, the egyptians, tried monotheism once (and it was more monolatrism than monotheism) and it failed, and an other long standing chinese people, never bothered themselves much with a unique god.

Quote:
It got to the point where art is now in the eye of the beholder (atheism) and where a crucifix was in a jar of piss in the 80's as art. We also see this in the cinema with "Blow Up" among other atheistic movies.

Oh you hit where it hurts, do you? Why don't you go to see christian movies, like the ones with kirk cameron?

Quote:
Christianity has been the means of unity.

Christianity never existed in first place.

Quote:
We are now living in the age of non-art. I evaulation art objectity. Study the art of the Dutch Christians compared to the filth now. Duchamp said that he paints to hurt, and that the blank canvas before he paints he sees as dirty ass's. You preverts may like that.

Tell that to the martyrs and to the christian mysticists.

Quote:
Nevertheless, atheim via art, (music, painting, sculpters, cinema) have fragmented thinking, not united it. This has been the goal of strategic atheism.

Strategic atheism?

Quote:
Isn't it interesting, that I gave you a varity of issues, and you pick this out due to your stubborn wickedness. The Dutch did not outgrow Christianity, they were paganized via Communism Marxism and Higher Criticism which was a atheistic attack from Germany. America was the same way, but Europe got his harder.

How could they be 'paganized' if christianity is pagan in the first place?

Quote:
But this is all talked about in Scripture. How in the last days the world will be lusting after nothing or the death of everything to glorfiy their foolish selves. Not even from a Christian atheist position, but just from a philosophical position, atheism is the death and fragmentation to all. They're idiots farting in the wind.

Oh my, so the 'generation' is going to pass? I have to get ready, goodbye.


iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
Posts: 3085
Joined: 2008-03-23
User is offlineOffline
TGBaker wrote:My pick is

TGBaker wrote:

My pick is Hendrix as well.

i never thought much of either hendrix or clapton once i got into guitarists like freddie king, albert king, carl perkins, and lowell fulson.  honestly, i think hendrix was just albert king with a lot of fuzz and wah-wah.  i love his songs as whole compositions, don't get me wrong, but i don't think he was that remarkable of a guitarist.

as for clapton, his guitar playing is technically good but not memorable.  his singing just plain bores me.  i'd rather hear george harrison play.  hell, i'd rather hear keith richards play.

i'm always one who liked distinct guitar playing.  in that respect, richards outdoes clapton.  as far as my personal favorite guitarists go, i'd have to say john lee hooker, carl perkins, luther perkins, mother maybelle carter, townes van zandt, bo diddly, merle travis, son house, and odetta all influenced me the most because of there unmistakable signature styles.  even the pure, hard-driving acoustic rhythm of charlie feathers is more catchy to me than clapton or hendrix.

 

"I asked my father,
I said, 'Father change my name.'
The one I'm using now it's covered up
with fear and filth and cowardice and shame."
--Leonard Cohen


TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
Posts: 1367
Joined: 2011-02-06
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:TGBaker

iwbiek wrote:

TGBaker wrote:

My pick is Hendrix as well.

i never thought much of either hendrix or clapton once i got into guitarists like freddie king, albert king, carl perkins, and lowell fulson.  honestly, i think hendrix was just albert king with a lot of fuzz and wah-wah.  i love his songs as whole compositions, don't get me wrong, but i don't think he was that remarkable of a guitarist.

as for clapton, his guitar playing is technically good but not memorable.  his singing just plain bores me.  i'd rather hear george harrison play.  hell, i'd rather hear keith richards play.

i'm always one who liked distinct guitar playing.  in that respect, richards outdoes clapton.  as far as my personal favorite guitarists go, i'd have to say john lee hooker, carl perkins, luther perkins, mother maybelle carter, townes van zandt, bo diddly, merle travis, son house, and odetta all influenced me the most because of there unmistakable signature styles.  even the pure, hard-driving acoustic rhythm of charlie feathers is more catchy to me than clapton or hendrix.

 

Given the style it is sorta some people like boccolli and some asparagas. You like that nice crisp tele sound or Harrisons precise studied Gretsch tone. I love Hendrix probably best because of psychedelics.  I do think he was one of the best there was.  Peter Green did blues better than Clapton for sure. Albert King was good.  It is the distortion and effects that move some guitarists like me and psychoactives from the at period.


 

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whip cream."--Frank Zappa

http://atheisticgod.blogspot.com/ Books on atheism


TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
Posts: 1367
Joined: 2011-02-06
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote: TGBaker wrote:

iwbiek wrote:

TGBaker wrote:

My pick is Hendrix as well.

i never thought much of either hendrix or clapton once i got into guitarists like freddie king, albert king, carl perkins, and lowell fulson.  honestly, i think hendrix was just albert king with a lot of fuzz and wah-wah.  i love his songs as whole compositions, don't get me wrong, but i don't think he was that remarkable of a guitarist.

as for clapton, his guitar playing is technically good but not memorable.  his singing just plain bores me.  i'd rather hear george harrison play.  hell, i'd rather hear keith richards play.

i'm always one who liked distinct guitar playing.  in that respect, richards outdoes clapton.  as far as my personal favorite guitarists go, i'd have to say john lee hooker, carl perkins, luther perkins, mother maybelle carter, townes van zandt, bo diddly, merle travis, son house, and odetta all influenced me the most because of there unmistakable signature styles.  even the pure, hard-driving acoustic rhythm of charlie feathers is more catchy to me than clapton or hendrix.

 

Given the style it is sorta some people like boccolli and some asparagas. You like that nice crisp tele sound or Harrisons precise studied Gretsch tone. I love Hendrix probably best because of psychedelics.  I do think he was one of the best there was.  Peter Green did blues better than Clapton for sure. Albert King was good.  It is the distortion and effects that move some guitarists like me and psychoactives from the at period. I saw Bo Diddley as a backup for Creedeence. He was good too. You have a very particular tone as well as style that moves you. Hey they are all great guitarists.

 

 

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whip cream."--Frank Zappa

http://atheisticgod.blogspot.com/ Books on atheism


iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
Posts: 3085
Joined: 2008-03-23
User is offlineOffline
TGBaker wrote:You like that

TGBaker wrote:

You like that nice crisp tele sound or Harrisons precise studied Gretsch tone.

not always.  john lee hooker didn't use a lot of effects, but he definitely had a droning, modal sound.  i also like junior kimbrough a lot, and he had a very muddy sound, with a lot of reverb.

you're right, it is like apples and oranges, but i have kind of a kneejerk reaction when it comes to clapton and hendrix, because i think most people (not you) call them the best guitar players ever because there's such a cultural hype around them.  as i say, i like hendrix a lot, but for the whole picture.  i love him as a vocalist.  "little wing" is one of my favorite songs ever.

sorry, i just don't like clapton at all.  i'm not familiar with peter green.  i do know i like stevie ray better than clapton as a blues guitarist. 

i also like robbie robertson.  the last waltz is one of my favorite films of all time, but mostly because of van morrison.  van really stole that stage, even though the story goes they had to push him onto it because of his legendary stage fright.  neil young kicked ass too with "helpless."  only he can steal attention away from a high-powered group like the band with only a martin 6-string and a harmonica.

"I asked my father,
I said, 'Father change my name.'
The one I'm using now it's covered up
with fear and filth and cowardice and shame."
--Leonard Cohen


jcgadfly
SuperfanBronze Member
Posts: 6789
Joined: 2006-07-18
User is offlineOffline
Jean Chauvin wrote:Hi

Jean Chauvin wrote:

Hi JCG,

Isn't it interesting, that I gave you a varity of issues, and you pick this out due to your stubborn wickedness. The Dutch did not outgrow Christianity, they were paganized via Communism Marxism and Higher Criticism which was a atheistic attack from Germany. America was the same way, but Europe got his harder.

But this is all talked about in Scripture. How in the last days the world will be lusting after nothing or the death of everything to glorfiy their foolish selves. Not even from a Christian atheist position, but just from a philosophical position, atheism is the death and fragmentation to all. They're idiots farting in the wind.

Everything they touch dies. Philosopically speaking.  

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).

 

 

Yet you picked a period in Dutch art history where Calvinism wasn't an influence - why? Why extol these as examples of what you believe is good art when you think the artists are likely going to burn in hell?

As for the rest, it can be summed up as you don't like it (whatever "it" happens to be) so you think it's evil and fragmented.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin


robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
Posts: 2481
Joined: 2010-02-20
User is offlineOffline
Jean Chauvin wrote:  just

Jean Chauvin wrote:

  just from a philosophical position, atheism is the death and fragmentation to all.

 

 

Nice summary, in the right perspective. You could have added "all our diapers" or "all our training wheels" though. Personally I think religion was developed to cope with fear of death and the unknown in general and this helped societies along but we know enough now that we shouldn't be afraid anymore, well people with any intelligence anyway.

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin


Jean Chauvin
Theistard
Jean Chauvin's picture
Posts: 1211
Joined: 2010-11-19
User is offlineOffline
Hello

Helll,

No, the 1600's to the 1700's were Christian Dutch painting. It is painted via reality. When secular atheistic art came to be, one artist tried to paint what was not. He eventually committed suicide. Do you know who that was?

A few years ago, after a debate with Eddie Tabash, we went out for dinner. I was speaking to one of his assistants who was majoring in music as a pianist. We had a disscusion over the philosophy of music via atheism for over an hour. Mind you, about 12 people were sitting at our table, eventually, it was a discussion with everybody.

Tabash later admitted that he was exploring the New Age movement as an alternative to spirituality. Which I find interesting that most atheists don't admit their paganism.

Anyway, since atheism is by definition fragmentation. And since music is order in which I discussed with now Tabash, and his assistant along with other atheists.

We discussed art in general, and went through the history of secular art via the climax of John Cage and Jackson Polluck. We then discussed Duchamp along with the death of Mark Rothko.

The issue for atheism is to find universals from particualars without starting from God as a universal. All forms of art has failed.

So technically speaking, chaos is the logical result of atheism. Banging things with absolute no order like Polluck's swinging paint jars (even though there was order with the swinging). You must close your eyes, and pound whatever.

Thus Hendrix's music was not consistent as the history of atheism in art and music.

I am convinced that Stephen Spildberg is an Existialist athestic Jew. There was a movie put out 10 years ago, I can't think of the title. A young girl is in a bath immersed with roses. Spildberg loved the movie as the bag went where the wind blew, no order, no precision. Just chaos. Spildberg loved this movie. He may be a Jewish atheist, I don't  know, but one of the greatest producers in Hollywood conveys philospohy in some/most of his films.

Look, there are no objectives in atheism. There is no knowing, since all is relatlive, There is no Being, since to each their reality. There is not ethics, to each their own. And there is no art, since it is in the eye of the beholder. Thus atheism is the death of art/music.

it is non-music.

So once again, the only reason why one would love the order of Hendrix's music, or anything else, is because of the Imago Dei, and some influences you have had on Christianity.

You atheists CANNOT live out consistently in your atheism. You drive orderly, down the lane. You eat via logic of food, you don't eat gasoline.

Your lifestyle is an ad hominem to your atheism. You Fools! You Fools! You Fools!

Anyway, at the end of the conversation, the atheist Pianist had nothing to say. She a trained atheist.

As we got up to leave I said one more thing to her. I told her that next time she plays Bach's Tocatta and Fugue in D Minor, that she pay attention to the philospohy of the music that she is playing. The precision of order, of unity, of beauty, and how inconsistent this is against atheism's subjectity to everything including it's fragmentation.

That while she play's, she is playing via the means of God's creation of the universe, oh how John Cage would be disappointed.

She left with a face of distress. For she knew the dilemma of atheism with the world which surrounds it.

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).

A Rational Christian of Intelligence (rare)with a valid and sound justification for my epistemology and a logical refutation for those with logical fallacies and false worldviews upon their normative of thinking in retrospect to objective normative(s). This is only understood via the imago dei in which we all are.

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).


jcgadfly
SuperfanBronze Member
Posts: 6789
Joined: 2006-07-18
User is offlineOffline
John-Boy,I find it

John-Boy,

I find it interesting that you argue for the appreciation and making of music as being part of the image of God. Is that why Calvin hated instrumental music? Do you know anything about your religion, son?

Are you a consistent Christian, Johnny? If you are, you scare me. Your bunch is the one that has no moral compass or sense of objective reality. Your gods and their holy books agree with what you think is right. Whatever you tell your god is right and you act on it. If the only example you have of "atheist inconsistency" is the way we follow society's laws and don't do harm to ourselves and others, I'll stay inconsistent. Your way is dangerous.

I believe the debate you had with Tabash and the conversation you had with him and the "trained atheist pianist" is as likely as my ability to lasso objects with my optic nerves. How many times have you changed this story Ravi?

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin


Jean Chauvin
Theistard
Jean Chauvin's picture
Posts: 1211
Joined: 2010-11-19
User is offlineOffline
Hi JCG

Hi JCG,

You are like a frustrated dart thrower. You never hit the target, so you throw a dozen darts, hoping one at least hits the board. lol.

John Calvin was only against music during worship. Outside of worship he was for it. But again, Calvin as I use it and most use it is a systm of thought. The Reformation. The absense of instruments during worship was common in the Reformation. But only during worship.

Calvin believed via the councils, that the music of unison singing of worship was only permitted. So this is still music of unity, and doesn't take away from the fact of what I was talking about, since the atheist worships only herself. lol.

I believe Calvin was wrong on this point. David used instruments in worshipping God all the time. While is was not congregational, the book of Psalms is generally looked at as a book of worship. And instruments were used all the time.

But that has nothing to do with what I posted.

Keep throwing those darts. Maybe someday, you'll eventually hit the board. But only Christians can hit the bull's Eye.

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).

 

A Rational Christian of Intelligence (rare)with a valid and sound justification for my epistemology and a logical refutation for those with logical fallacies and false worldviews upon their normative of thinking in retrospect to objective normative(s). This is only understood via the imago dei in which we all are.

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).


jcgadfly
SuperfanBronze Member
Posts: 6789
Joined: 2006-07-18
User is offlineOffline
Jean Chauvin wrote:Hi

Jean Chauvin wrote:

Hi JCG,

You are like a frustrated dart thrower. You never hit the target, so you throw a dozen darts, hoping one at least hits the board. lol.

John Calvin was only against music during worship. Outside of worship he was for it. But again, Calvin as I use it and most use it is a systm of thought. The Reformation. The absense of instruments during worship was common in the Reformation. But only during worship.

Calvin believed via the councils, that the music of unison singing of worship was only permitted. So this is still music of unity, and doesn't take away from the fact of what I was talking about, since the atheist worships only herself. lol.

I believe Calvin was wrong on this point. David used instruments in worshipping God all the time. While is was not congregational, the book of Psalms is generally looked at as a book of worship. And instruments were used all the time.

But that has nothing to do with what I posted.

Keep throwing those darts. Maybe someday, you'll eventually hit the board. But only Christians can hit the bull's Eye.

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).

 

That's funny, I must keep hitting you where you live because you feel like you have to defend your ridiculous position.

So Calvin was a hypocrite as well, eh? It does explain where you got it. I get the feeling you would have still agreed with Calvin on his position (music an expression of the image of God but it shouldn't be used to worship him) had I not called you on it. Or is this an area (like so many others) where it suits you to depart from Calvinism?

 

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin


Jean Chauvin
Theistard
Jean Chauvin's picture
Posts: 1211
Joined: 2010-11-19
User is offlineOffline
Hi JCG

Hi JCG,

I have no problem with certain instruments during worship. I do however had a problem with praise music from a philosophical point of view.

You didn't call me on anything. Were you ever a professing Christian? If so, why did you leave, honestly. And if not, what was your first objection. You said it was via Scripture. What part? 

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).

A Rational Christian of Intelligence (rare)with a valid and sound justification for my epistemology and a logical refutation for those with logical fallacies and false worldviews upon their normative of thinking in retrospect to objective normative(s). This is only understood via the imago dei in which we all are.

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).


jcgadfly
SuperfanBronze Member
Posts: 6789
Joined: 2006-07-18
User is offlineOffline
Jean Chauvin wrote:Hi JCG,I

Jean Chauvin wrote:

Hi JCG,

I have no problem with certain instruments during worship. I do however had a problem with praise music from a philosophical point of view.

You didn't call me on anything. Were you ever a professing Christian? If so, why did you leave, honestly. And if not, what was your first objection. You said it was via Scripture. What part? 

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).

Were you ever a professing Christian? Yes.

If so, why did you leave, honestly. Hypocrisy in the church condoned by Scripture.

What part (of Scripture)? All of it. There are three separate and distinct Gods described (no I don't mean the Trinity). You have a psychopath in the OT, a glorified hippy in the gospels and an aloof god that doesn't care for humans via the Pauline epistles.

who do you worship Jean?

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin


TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
Posts: 1367
Joined: 2011-02-06
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:Jean Chauvin

jcgadfly wrote:

Jean Chauvin wrote:

Hi JCG,

I have no problem with certain instruments during worship. I do however had a problem with praise music from a philosophical point of view.

You didn't call me on anything. Were you ever a professing Christian? If so, why did you leave, honestly. And if not, what was your first objection. You said it was via Scripture. What part? 

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).

Were you ever a professing Christian? Yes.

If so, why did you leave, honestly. Hypocrisy in the church condoned by Scripture.

What part (of Scripture)? All of it. There are three separate and distinct Gods described (no I don't mean the Trinity). You have a psychopath in the OT, a glorified hippy in the gospels and an aloof god that doesn't care for humans via the Pauline epistles.

who do you worship Jean?

WOW great analogy!!!! I read a book called teh Psychopathic God. It was about Hitler.  I think the title goes better where you put it. The hippie in the gospels is what appealed to me. And that aloof Pauline idol is what turned me off.  Thanks I'll have to use this if its ok.


 

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whip cream."--Frank Zappa

http://atheisticgod.blogspot.com/ Books on atheism


jcgadfly
SuperfanBronze Member
Posts: 6789
Joined: 2006-07-18
User is offlineOffline
absotively TG

absotively TG

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin


luca
atheist
Posts: 399
Joined: 2011-02-21
User is offlineOffline
nobody wrote:Look, there are

nobody wrote:
Look, there are no objectives in atheism. There is no knowing, since all is relatlive, There is no Being, since to each their reality. There is not ethics, to each their own. And there is no art, since it is in the eye of the beholder. Thus atheism is the death of art/music.

If you really hold a quantity of knowledge you seem to show, then you would know you are wrong. Art and music exist outside christianity, and they follow guidelines, they are not an expression of El/YHWH.

You should listen to Deicide... "On the cross, forgotten son, a sacrifice it had to be done/Died for me, well that's too bad I don't believe", "Bible Basher/Who is your god?".


TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
Posts: 1367
Joined: 2011-02-06
User is offlineOffline
luca wrote:nobody

luca wrote:
nobody wrote:
Look, there are no objectives in atheism. There is no knowing, since all is relatlive, There is no Being, since to each their reality. There is not ethics, to each their own. And there is no art, since it is in the eye of the beholder. Thus atheism is the death of art/music.
If you really hold a quantity of knowledge you seem to show, then you would know you are wrong. Art and music exist outside christianity, and they follow guidelines, they are not an expression of El/YHWH. You should listen to Deicide... "On the cross, forgotten son, a sacrifice it had to be done/Died for me, well that's too bad I don't believe", "Bible Basher/Who is your god?".

There are objectives to an atheist. Atheism is simply a state of concluding there is no god. An atheist may well want an understanding of reality.

Most things are not relative to this atheist.  Reality is absolute. Cogito ergo sum.  I am writing this to you.

There is one reality but no definitive conclusion as to its full magnitude. Atheists do not have more than one reality but have more than one hypothesis as to what reality is. Theists have multiple beliefs as to what reality is based upon their religion or denomination.

Ethics derives from our development as mammals and can be found long before the Old Testament much less Koran. In the code of Hammurabi there are well developed ethics and morality. Ultimately morality is built upon us achieving well being and the resolution of suffering and pain in this world.

Art is creativity and craftsmanship not conformity to a traditional format of productivity. It certainly is conditioned by culture. But informs and gives culture new experience and meaning providing an aesthetic for progress.

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whip cream."--Frank Zappa

http://atheisticgod.blogspot.com/ Books on atheism


redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
Posts: 1971
Joined: 2011-01-04
User is offlineOffline
Jean Chauvin wrote: Anyway,

Jean Chauvin wrote:
Anyway, at the end of the conversation, the atheist Pianist had nothing to say.

Somehow, I think you confuse women wishing you'd leave, with having nothing to say to you...

Jean Chauvin wrote:
She a trained atheist.

She was probably reaching for her pepper spray and timing the distance to the exit...

Jean Chauvin wrote:
As we got up to leave I said one more thing to her. I told her that next time she plays Bach's Tocatta and Fugue in D Minor, that she pay attention to the philospohy of the music that she is playing.

Now you're giving music lessons, Jean Jean?

You ignorance has no limits.

Bach didn't compose anything for piano, you fool.

Nor did he edit any of his pieces for piano. So, they are open to interpretation on piano.

The piano is a different instrument than the harpsichord, or clavichord.

The harpsichord and clavichord have no pedals.

The harpsichord has no dynamics. It cannot play softer, or louder. Neither can most church organs, so they resort to voicing 'softer' with 'stops'.

To give the illusion of 'softness', passages were edited to be played slower (rubato).

The clavichord has minimal dynamics, and can also also do a quasi 'vibrato'.

 

As far as Bach's Tocatta and Fugue in D minor, it's been butchered by some of the biggest name organists.

Some play it slow, and legato. Some play it blisteringly fast, and stacatto.

Jean Chauvin wrote:
She left with a face of distress.

At least we know she is mentally sound...

TGBaker wrote:

Art is creativity and craftsmanship not conformity to a traditional format of productivity. It certainly is conditioned by culture. But informs and gives culture new experience and meaning providing an aesthetic for progress.

Unfortunately, musicians like Bach were constrained by the church. Things like ending a piece on a minor chord, or straying too far from the typical ABACABA compositional form, were frowned upon.

The 'sharp' 4 of the Lydian mode, was thought to 'invoke the devil'.

Jean Chauvin wrote:
Thus Hendrix's music was not consistent as the history of atheism in art and music.

Hendrix was on acid.

Not any different than many classical composers, who indulged in opium.

 

Nigel Kennedy, one of the most respected contemporary violinists, is a total Hendrix freak

 

 

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris


ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
Posts: 3502
Joined: 2007-12-02
User is offlineOffline
TGBaker wrote:WOW great

TGBaker wrote:


WOW great analogy!!!! I read a book called teh Psychopathic God. It was about Hitler. 

 

 

     I've got it on my bookshelf, it's by Robert G. L. Waite.....


TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
Posts: 1367
Joined: 2011-02-06
User is offlineOffline
redneF wrote:Jean Chauvin

redneF wrote:

Jean Chauvin wrote:
Anyway, at the end of the conversation, the atheist Pianist had nothing to say.

Somehow, I think you confuse women wishing you'd leave, with having nothing to say to you...

Jean Chauvin wrote:
She a trained atheist.

She was probably reaching for her pepper spray and timing the distance to the exit...

Jean Chauvin wrote:
As we got up to leave I said one more thing to her. I told her that next time she plays Bach's Tocatta and Fugue in D Minor, that she pay attention to the philospohy of the music that she is playing.

Now you're giving music lessons, Jean Jean?

You ignorance has no limits.

Bach didn't compose anything for piano, you fool.

Nor did he edit any of his pieces for piano. So, they are open to interpretation on piano.

The piano is a different instrument than the harpsichord, or clavichord.

The harpsichord and clavichord have no pedals.

The harpsichord has no dynamics. It cannot play softer, or louder. Neither can most church organs, so they resort to voicing 'softer' with 'stops'.

To give the illusion of 'softness', passages were edited to be played slower (rubato).

The clavichord has minimal dynamics, and can also also do a quasi 'vibrato'.

 

As far as Bach's Tocatta and Fugue in D minor, it's been butchered by some of the biggest name organists.

Some play it slow, and legato. Some play it blisteringly fast, and stacatto.

Jean Chauvin wrote:
She left with a face of distress.

At least we know she is mentally sound...

TGBaker wrote:

Art is creativity and craftsmanship not conformity to a traditional format of productivity. It certainly is conditioned by culture. But informs and gives culture new experience and meaning providing an aesthetic for progress.http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1070107766

Unfortunately, musicians like Bach were constrained by the church. Things like ending a piece on a minor chord, or straying too far from the typical ABACABA compositional form, were frowned upon.

The 'sharp' 4 of the Lydian mode, was thought to 'invoke the devil'.

Jean Chauvin wrote:
Thus Hendrix's music was not consistent as the history of atheism in art and music.

Hendrix was on acid.

Not any different than many classical composers, who indulged in opium.

 

Nigel Kennedy, one of the most respected contemporary violinists, is a total Hendrix freak

 

 

Hendrix was a head of his time since he was on acid. But then so was I or somebody I remind me of??????????? Purple Haze is in my Yellow Sunshine at Grey Berkley ath the purple microdot yeah yeah yeah

 

 

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whip cream."--Frank Zappa

http://atheisticgod.blogspot.com/ Books on atheism


luca
atheist
Posts: 399
Joined: 2011-02-21
User is offlineOffline
toccata e fuga

Quote:
Ethics derives from our development as mammals and can be found long before the Old Testament much less Koran. In the code of Hammurabi there are well developed ethics and morality. Ultimately morality is built upon us achieving well being and the resolution of suffering and pain in this world.

One word: sociobiology.

Quote:
Art is creativity and craftsmanship not conformity to a traditional format of productivity. It certainly is conditioned by culture. But informs and gives culture new experience and meaning providing an aesthetic for progress.

Craftmanship is the ability you use, creativity posed in this way is lacking a definition. Art means you want to tell something to someone, and yes, art has canons. Beauty has canons. You have to compare art to something to understand how "beautiful" it is.


funknotik
atheist
funknotik's picture
Posts: 157
Joined: 2007-12-10
User is offlineOffline
Jose Gonzalez -His second

Jose Gonzalez -His second album, In Our Nature, was released internationally on 22 September 2007. The album's lyrical content was in part influenced by his reading of books like The God Delusion by evolutionary biologist Richard Dawkins and Practical Ethics by ethicist Peter Singer.[6][10] (González is an atheist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rClbvWbOzyM

 

 

 

 

 


luca
atheist
Posts: 399
Joined: 2011-02-21
User is offlineOffline
circus

Deicide too have their lyrics influenced from a famous book.

But maybe they're too atheists fragmented. Maybe someone would like death jazz. I tried, and don't.


religioniswar
Superfan
religioniswar's picture
Posts: 44
Joined: 2007-07-03
User is offlineOffline
Atheist Musicians

http://www.myspace.com/angelofviolationband 

 

Check out my songs tell me what you think the video of 'The Passion' is the most direct but also the demo of my absent god on there.

My new album will contain more songs like this though i sing about other stuff too. But often when I play live I get weird looks for my lyrics because they are opposing religion. Any other musicians get a similar response?


Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
Posts: 4214
Joined: 2008-11-11
User is offlineOffline
OK, I have a project in

OK, I have a project in mind.  I want to find atheist music.  Here is one example:

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=


Alaskan Atheist
Alaskan Atheist's picture
Posts: 34
Joined: 2011-05-11
User is offlineOffline
I don't play any instruments

I don't play any instruments myself, but I do consider myself an artist.

I make songs, and I'm working on a solo album due out hopefully within the month. It's the rap/hip-hop genre but I refuse to rap about the shallow things that's littering rap these days (Waka Flaka Flame, Soulja Boi, etc). My inspiration is Eminem, so my songs actually have substance and a message.

"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to known." - Carl Sagan

"Atheism is a non-prophet organization." – George Carlin

"We are all atheists about most of the gods that societies have ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further." – Richard Dawkins


mac wellington (not verified)
Posts: 4294964979
Joined: 1969-12-31
User is offlineOffline
atheist musicians

 Very cool.  I have a project with quite a bit of anti-theistic themes running throughout the songs, called, Law - lucifer at work - It's kind of a sarcastic response to the religious idea that anything (music) created for purposes other than praising god is the work of the devil.  <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/sInqWslgu8c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe> or check out Law's website http://www.artrocktrash.com 


luca
atheist
Posts: 399
Joined: 2011-02-21
User is offlineOffline
estate

Alaskan Atheist wrote:

I don't play any instruments myself, but I do consider myself an artist.

I make songs, and I'm working on a solo album due out hopefully within the month. It's the rap/hip-hop genre but I refuse to rap about the shallow things that's littering rap these days (Waka Flaka Flame, Soulja Boi, etc). My inspiration is Eminem, so my songs actually have substance and a message.

But maybe you're lucky and don't have this: