Consideration of stupidity

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
Consideration of stupidity

When we talk of getting rid of religion it has occured to me that many people are quite optimistic about the possibility of making most people see the truth or at least the chance of.

I think this is unrealistic and I believe most people don't quite fathom the stupidity, the terribly low iq of so many people in this country and probably around the world.

If I had to hazard a guess I would be willing to bet that at least 45% of the population here in the US is literally too stupid to understand evolution and to gain any real grasp on ..reality.

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Religion, in one form or

Religion, in one form or another, is here to stay.    One of it's functions is as an emotional security blanket and in an increasingly hostile world I don't see the need for such emotional defenses mechanisms to be going out of style.  I fully understand the appeal of such belief systems.  The world's a stressful place.

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Well, I have said this

Well, I have said this countless times and I will say it again:

If every religion currently existing went away tomorrow, we would just have new religions next year.

Seriously, look at all of the “new religious movements” aka cults. Mankind has something in the basic makeup that causes people to invent religions. If not for the general power that the standard ones have over people, there would be nothing stopping everyone from inventing a personal religion.

That much being said, I don't think that stupidity is the turning point. Sure, there are plenty of people who do not understand evolution but part of that is that they were raised into a religion that feels compelled to deny the matter. If we were to really get that nonsense out of the schools once and for all, I would bet that a great many people would see what they had been missing because they were not otherwise brain washed over the matter.

Given the right teachers and the right curriculum, I don't think that it is all that hard to see what is so damned obvious. Seriously, the RCC and the mainline protestants do not have a problem with evolution.

It is really the willful idiot segment of the population that is the problem here. If they can swallow that Crap because they got it when they were too damned young and vulnerable, then if we could catch them before they got the fundie mind virus, I would bet that they would get the general idea.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

Neoatheist
atheist
Neoatheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Faith=Glorified Ignorance

I don't necessarily believe that people are too stupid to discover the truth. I believe that the problem lies in the in the fact that indoctrination is a tough thing to break. What are some of the common denomenators of pretty much every successful religion out there? They all believe that truth is subjective and that faith is a valid and valuable means for determining this truth. As long as these two ridiculous concepts are perpetuated by the religious, the odds are stacked against them.

I believe that Sam Harris understands this better than most people and this is pretty much the basis behind The End of Faith and Letter To a Christian Nation.

If you use the bible as your moral compass, chances are you're lost.

When Jesus said "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone" he wasn't saying that people shouldn't be stoned. He was requesting the first pitch.

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
Neoatheist wrote:I don't

Neoatheist wrote:

I don't necessarily believe that people are too stupid to discover the truth. I believe that the problem lies in the in the fact that indoctrination is a tough thing to break. What are some of the common denomenators of pretty much every successful religion out there? They all believe that truth is subjective and that faith is a valid and valuable means for determining this truth. As long as these two ridiculous concepts are perpetuated by the religious, the odds are stacked against them.

I believe that Sam Harris understands this better than most people and this is pretty much the basis behind The End of Faith and Letter To a Christian Nation.

Hate to break it to ya but there are LOTS or truly stupid people out there. I didn't say all or even most just a large portion of people who truly can't use their mind properly. Religion is an easy out for someone who literally can't understand.

For people who are intelligent enough yet remain religious it is a lazy way out.

edit: I own both of those books and most people I know wouldn't have a fukin clue as to what he is saying half the time. It may as well be in a foreign language.

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin