Geronimo is pc

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
Geronimo is pc

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_bin_laden_geronimo

I knew that was coming the first time I heard the target referred to as Geronimo. "It is devastating and terrible for the children" lmao. We must shelter and protect anyone from anything that might even remotely hurt them in any fashion.

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
<sarcasm>I'm so glad

<sarcasm>

I'm so glad politicians still have such important crap to talk about.

</sarcasm>

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Why do they assume

Why do they assume 'Geronimo' was the code name for Bin Laden?

I thought it was either the code name of the group of Seals that went in or, the mission accomplished or, the command center.

Why do people say 'Geronimo' when they jump out of a plane?

'Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.' A. Einstein

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sandycane wrote:Why do they

Sandycane wrote:

Why do they assume 'Geronimo' was the code name for Bin Laden?

I thought it was either the code name of the group of Seals that went in or, the mission accomplished or, the command center.

"Jackpot" was the name of the mission. "Geronimo" was the code for "we nailed the bastard".

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
So, Geronimo was not the

So, Geronimo was not the code name for Bin Laden?

Seems to me the N.A. Indians should be proud to be associated with this mission.

It's all about 'context' right Brian?

'Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.' A. Einstein

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sandycane wrote:Why do

Sandycane wrote:

I love the internet.

http://www.aaanativearts.com/apache/why-yell-geronimo.htm wrote:

Why do people yell "Geronimo" before jumping off something?

ANSWER:
Geronimo was an Apache leader who evaded the US Army for five years and was the last renegade indian band to surrender in the US Indian Wars. Legend has it that he was being pursued and became trapped. His only escape was to jump off a cliff into a river below. On horseback, he took this route. As he went off the edge of the cliff, he yelled his name, "Geronimo."

Growing up in southern Arizona, to me the Apache resistance was astonishing.  Yes, they knew about water the US Army didn't know about.  But it was often "sip springs".  So named because there was enough water collected in the spring in a really wet year for a sip or two.  And they survived in these conditions and they made the Army look really bad.  It was their land, damn it.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sounds to me then, that

Sounds to me then, that 'Geronimo' would be a good code name for a suicide mission.

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sandycane wrote: Sounds to

Sandycane wrote:

Sounds to me then, that 'Geronimo' would be a good code name for a suicide mission.

Yeah, except Geronimo lived through it.  Died in years later.  And made some sort of a living with Buffalo Bill's wild west show for a time.

http://www.bgsu.edu/departments/acs/1890s/buffalobill/bbwildwestshow.html wrote:

Native Americans who participated in Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show di not leave much of a record about what they thought of the show behind (Chauncey Yellow Robe, see reference page, being one of the exceptions). Many Native Americans performed in his show, especially the Plains Indians like the Pawnee and Sioux. Some of the famous Native Americans who were in the show included Sitting Bull, Chief Joseph, Geronimo, and Rains in the Face (reported to be the man who killed Custer).

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
Geronimo from what history I

Geronimo from what history I recall was a leader of the indians who were out for revenge and the retaking of their land. A leader who had finally managed to get the tribes together but too little too late. Geronimo was eventually captured then made a public mockery of before he was released and later went to wild bill's show.

It was a fine codename and osama should be happy about having such a codename were he still around to enjoy it.

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
robj101

robj101 wrote:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_bin_laden_geronimo

I knew that was coming the first time I heard the target referred to as Geronimo. "It is devastating and terrible for the children" lmao. We must shelter and protect anyone from anything that might even remotely hurt them in any fashion.

I wonder how they would feel if the final kill was named "Trail of Tears"...

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)

Rich Woods
Rational VIP!
Rich Woods's picture
User is offlineOffline
Maybe American Indians who

Maybe American Indians who are offended by this should pour themselves a tall frosty mug of get The Fuck Over It Juice...

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Rich Woods wrote:Maybe

Rich Woods wrote:

Maybe American Indians who are offended by this should pour themselves a tall frosty mug of get The Fuck Over It Juice...

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Rich Woods wrote: Maybe

Rich Woods wrote:

( I felt so strongly about it I had to post it twice ! )

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish wrote:Rich

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

Rich Woods wrote:

( I felt so strongly about it I had to post it twice ! )

Yea he summed it up well, a lot of things could be summed up so easily but people like to write a book on the pc end.