Do we atheists really have the task of militancy?

ManuAndres44
atheist
ManuAndres44's picture
User is offlineOffline
Do we atheists really have the task of militancy?

Hello all!

I've been wondering this doubt since I started in the atheism. There's lots of discussions about whether atheists should make public their atheism or not, as the way of the religions. Is it so necessary to claim "we are atheists" "don't believe in god" in every public square, in each house or making public speeches as Christians and Catholics? Won't be that the same bs of religious methods to promote an idea?

I'll wait for your answers. Thanks.

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Yes we need to let people

Yes we need to let people know it is ok to disbelieve all that carp and for the ones who don't but feel alone let them know that they are not.

I don't know that that would actually be considered "militant" though.

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
(No subject)

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheism must be actively

Atheism must be actively presented in order to reduce the threats of theism such as 9/11, bombing of abortion clinics, discrimination based upon sexual preference, political views based upon an eschatology that views the Mid-East as the ground of Armegeddon and the second coming. Religion corrupts moral decisions and energizes WAR!!! Religion slows the progress of science and reason.  Science good, religion bad.

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whip cream."--Frank Zappa

http://atheisticgod.blogspot.com/ Books on atheism

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I think we atheists should

I think we atheists should make our presence known.  That isn't even militancy.

There's nothing wrong with promoting your ideas.

That doesn't mean that we're suddenly allowed to say stupid things like Harris or Hitchens. Yes, we should critisize religion, but we shouldn't make shit up.

I have no issues with atheist billboards, atheist websites, atheist youtube channels, etc...  promoting science and reason, as long as well, they're using what they're selling.

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
We certainly should take

We certainly should take reasonable opportunities to make people, in general, aware that a significant number of other people, who otherwise seem within the normal range of human intelligence and behaviour, find nothing remotely compelling or perhaps even reasonable, about the God concept.

As has already been said, it is extremely important for those who find God a dubious idea to realize they are not alone.

Doesn't mean we should copy those believers who feel they need to go out and shout their crap to everyone in public spaces, or aggressively confront people and 'testify' to them, or knock on their front doors. I've seen quite enough of that personally.

Altho I think it would be ok, Pineapple, to take out that weasel Scott Attran...

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:Altho I

BobSpence1 wrote:

Altho I think it would be ok, Pineapple, to take out that weasel Scott Attran...

LOL wut?

I never mentioned him in my post, but all his ideas are fair game for critisism just like anybody else's.

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline
I do not think that what

I do not think that what Harris or Hitchens have to say is stupid or unimportant. In fact I agree with their stand.

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whip cream."--Frank Zappa

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I don't go around randomly

I don't go around randomly telling people I am an atheist. Although, whenever someone makes a religious comment I usually respond. I find such opportunities so plentiful that probably 90% of people I come in contact with know that I am an atheist. Personally, I wouldn't pay to put up an atheist billboard, but I do appreciate seeing them from time to time. No matter what we do, we will never be able to match such Christian achievements like Touchdown Jesus

Good shot Zeus....

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Of course, I would not go to

Of course, I would not go to public squares and "preach" in a style similar to the fundy Christians. In general, I'm pretty reserved with my atheism. I almost never tell someone unless they ask me. But, that's just me; I don't like to be confrontational with people........unless they've pissed me off. 

I do think it is definitely a good thing for people to know that there are atheists out there, especially in the U.S.  

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

LOL wut?

I never mentioned him in my post, but all his ideas are fair game for critisism just like anybody else's.

I know you didn't, although I thought I saw a link in another thread recently to something of his, in one of your posts.

I was having a dig, of course....

========

TG,

I also have no problem with Harris, even with his references to exploring potentially beneficial Buddhist mental practices ( I keep trying to explain that to Brian37).

Hitchens does irritate me on occasion, I think his eloquence tends to exceed his depth of understanding at times.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1

BobSpence1 wrote:

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

LOL wut?

I know you didn't, although I thought I saw a link in another thread recently to something of his, in one of your posts.

I was having a dig, of course....

========

TG,

I also have no problem with Harris, even with his references to exploring potentially beneficial Buddhist mental practices ( I keep trying to explain that to Brian37).

Hitchens does irritate me on occasion, I think his eloquence tends to exceed his depth of understanding at times.

I agree about Hitchens eloguence but the theist Alister McGrath is the same way. I like to hear him talk. It's a aesthetic thing rather than a rational thing isn't it? I guess that is why you must be careful of the emotive aspects of a presentation ...for example Hitler.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Again, calling "bullshit" on

Again, calling "bullshit" on absurd claims is not militant nor the passion to do so.

Atheists do not have to hate the people who make absurd claims, but we certainly have a duty to challenge them.

It boils down to what kind of future do we want. Do we want one were taboos rule what gets challenged? Or do we want it all out in the open to be dealt with.

We do not need to have the same us vs them mentality. We do not need to fall for the same utopia "we must make everyone else be like us"

NO,

We must simply value the right to challenge any and all claims and fight any taboo attempt to silence those challenges.

What this will do, is not rid the world of absurd claims, but it will create an open environment where they can be challenged creating more of an opportunity for more people to be exposed to the truth.

Militant is a false slur hurled at people who simply are tired of myth being sold as fact. There is nothing wrong with challenging social norms. It is how humanity grows and moves to the future.

It is why we know what the sun is now. It is why we know what DNA is now.

It is simply a matter of fighting for the right to kick the tires to insure quality of data.

You wont cure humanity of all irrational beliefs, but we damned sure should work to minimize the affects they can have in mass on politics and society in general.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

ManuAndres44
atheist
ManuAndres44's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thanks to all of you for

Thanks to all of you for your comments!

Bob Spence has stated something very important: to make atheist people they're not alone is a good reason for militant atheism. Personally I've thought in that in several occasions since I started being atheist and that's give you a lot of relief. And it's ok not to preach, I think, but to say I'm here. No more wars. Religions have sponsored wars and atheism won't follow that game.

I've learned a lot with your opinions. Thanks a lot!

Debate is the best way to share the knowledge