God thinks you're an idiot!

Jean Chauvin
Theistard
Jean Chauvin's picture
Posts: 1211
Joined: 2010-11-19
User is offlineOffline
God thinks you're an idiot!

In Postmodernism today, many Christians FEEL that if you offend somebody, you're not being spiritual. Or if you are not sensitive you are intolerant. If you call somebodies names (despite if it's true), you're being unspiritual.

But this is nonsense. God looks down on these puny atheists and calls them idiots. According to the Hebrew in some places, God even curses at these pathetic losers.

However, I shall give you some examples. It's to numerous to list them all. I will avoid Psalms 14:1 since that is the most popular one and is somewhat low key compared to the other ones.

So, as evidence, here are some verses that demonstrate that while these filthy low lifes are mocking God, it is actually God, that mocks them:

Quote:
Psalm 2:4 = He who sits in the heavens laughs, The Lord scoffs at them.

Quote:
Psalm27:13 =  But the Lord laughs at the wicked, for He knows their day is coming

Quote:
Ps 58 But You, O Lord, Laugh at them, You scoff at all the nations.
 

Quote:
Proverb 1:26 =  I in turn will laugh when disaster strikes you; I will mock when calamity overtakes you—

These are only a sliver of examples.God even gets specific with His name calling at times. These fools (atheists) are as stupid (God refers to them as stupid) as they get. Now look atheists, I'm not calling you stupid, idiotic, moronic, freaks, and losers, (parable on my part), God is. So as I reflect the light of Scripture unto the pagan atheists, God tells you that you're an idiot.

I like the last one. When atheists die, or when the wicked parish, I'd rejoice. I'm not sure what happen with the shameful indian's dad on here, but perhaps God rejoiced and mocked you in your pain.

So, my worthless losers of friends on here, next time a Christian says He loves you or cares for you, you tell him that he's giving you bull shit.

Tell him, Jean sent you.

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).

The Most Consistent Christian You Know!!!

A Rational Christian of Intelligence (rare)with a valid and sound justification for my epistemology and a logical refutation for those with logical fallacies and false worldviews upon their normative of thinking in retrospect to objective normative(s). This is only understood via the imago dei in which we all are.

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).


Neoatheist
atheist
Neoatheist's picture
Posts: 34
Joined: 2011-04-23
User is offlineOffline
I loved Inception. I like a

I loved Inception. I like a lot of Leonardo di Caprio's movies. Inception definitely lived up to the hype for me, but then again I thought Avatar was amazing as well and most people would tend to disagree with me on that.

If you use the bible as your moral compass, chances are you're lost.

When Jesus said "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone" he wasn't saying that people shouldn't be stoned. He was requesting the first pitch.


Ktulu
atheist
Posts: 1831
Joined: 2010-12-21
User is offlineOffline
Neoatheist wrote:I couldn't

Neoatheist wrote:

I couldn't agree more. I loved the first one. I'd like to pretend that they stopped there. 

My name has dual meanings. I use the 'neo' part as both a prefix meaning 'new' because I consider myself a New Atheist. Also it is a reference to my favorite movie character Neo from The Matrix. I liked the part where Neo had to choose between living in a comfortable delusion or discover a perhaps uncomfortable truth. Also the part where Morpheus said something to the effect of "We don't unlock a mind once it is past a certain age." I feel the same way about my activism. I don't aim my free thought "proselytizing" toward the elderly. Let them believe that their life had meaning and when they die they will live forever in some perfect kingdom. It'd be rather cruel in my opinion to take that away from them at the end of their life.

Yup, a lot of subtle analogies with atheism there, in the first one.  That movie just rocked at all levels.  At the time I was pretty heavy into the whole 'hacker' under-culture before it became mainstream, so I really related to it on many levels.  I had the soundtrack on my computer for years after that.  'Clubbed to Death' is one of the best DnB pieces out there in my opinion.

 

"Don't seek these laws to understand. Only the mad can comprehend..." -- George Cosbuc


Neoatheist
atheist
Neoatheist's picture
Posts: 34
Joined: 2011-04-23
User is offlineOffline
Trippy video. I don't

Trippy video. I don't believe that I have ever heard the whole song before. I liked it.


Ktulu
atheist
Posts: 1831
Joined: 2010-12-21
User is offlineOffline
Neoatheist wrote:I loved

Neoatheist wrote:

I loved Inception. I like a lot of Leonardo di Caprio's movies. Inception definitely lived up to the hype for me, but then again I thought Avatar was amazing as well and most people would tend to disagree with me on that.

Avatar sucked big ones, but Leonardo d C. is turning into a good actor.  And a lot of his movies are pretty thought provoking,  Much better than anything Titanic and prior.

"Don't seek these laws to understand. Only the mad can comprehend..." -- George Cosbuc


ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
Posts: 4127
Joined: 2007-12-02
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:  That

Brian37 wrote:

 


 


That really hurt. What will I do. I am crushed. You got me. I think I'll go to church now and pray for your forgiveness.

 

 

   Yes, Brian.  I get the sarcasm. 

 

  PS, I don't hate you, you just annoy the hell out of me.

Patrick is an edgy edgelord.


ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
Posts: 4127
Joined: 2007-12-02
User is offlineOffline
Ktulu wrote:Neoatheist

Ktulu wrote:

Neoatheist wrote:

I loved Inception. I like a lot of Leonardo di Caprio's movies. Inception definitely lived up to the hype for me, but then again I thought Avatar was amazing as well and most people would tend to disagree with me on that.

Avatar sucked big ones, but Leonardo d C. is turning into a good actor.  And a lot of his movies are pretty thought provoking,  Much better than anything Titanic and prior.

  I liked Avatar.  Parts of it even made me cry but then I'm an emotional guy.

  Leo DC  is really developing some serious acting chops and is not apparently just getting by on being a "pretty boy."  The Gangs of New York was pretty good IMHO, too.

Patrick is an edgy edgelord.


Neoatheist
atheist
Neoatheist's picture
Posts: 34
Joined: 2011-04-23
User is offlineOffline
I also loved Shutter Island

I also loved Shutter Island and Blood Diamond. I thought Titanic was pretty good too. Not much replay value left anymore though.

If you use the bible as your moral compass, chances are you're lost.

When Jesus said "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone" he wasn't saying that people shouldn't be stoned. He was requesting the first pitch.


robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
Posts: 2481
Joined: 2010-02-20
User is offlineOffline
Avatar was ok, it failed in

Avatar was ok, it failed in that it was typical fare as far as story though. The theft of the indians land was rather blatant too, I watched it with friends and everyone picked up on that.

 I get so sick of hearing ppl qq about the poor indians. It happened, if it bothers ppl that much they should sit in the corner and cut theirself or something. lol

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin


ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
Posts: 4127
Joined: 2007-12-02
User is offlineOffline
 I just remember the

 I just remember the previews of Shutter Island but never saw it.   Was it a horror movie ?  It looked really spooky.

Patrick is an edgy edgelord.


robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
Posts: 2481
Joined: 2010-02-20
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish wrote: I

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

 I just remember the previews of Shutter Island but never saw it.   Was it a horror movie ?  It looked really spooky.

That's funny, I watched it today ..

Pretty good though you will probably pick up on whats going on early, it was still worth watching it all play out.

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin


ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
Posts: 4127
Joined: 2007-12-02
User is offlineOffline
robj101 wrote:Avatar was ok,

robj101 wrote:

Avatar was ok, it failed in that it was typical fare as far as story though. The theft of the indians land was rather blatant too, I watched it with friends and everyone picked up on that.

 I get so sick of hearing ppl qq about the poor indians. It happened, if it bothers ppl that much they should sit in the corner and cut theirself or something. lol

 

   Yeah, the plot was a rehash of a lot of previous movies like you have referred to but I think I was still able to get into the movie because it was so visually stunning and I was able to empathize with the characters.  What can I say ?  I even watch Godzilla movies. 

Patrick is an edgy edgelord.


robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
Posts: 2481
Joined: 2010-02-20
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

robj101 wrote:

Avatar was ok, it failed in that it was typical fare as far as story though. The theft of the indians land was rather blatant too, I watched it with friends and everyone picked up on that.

 I get so sick of hearing ppl qq about the poor indians. It happened, if it bothers ppl that much they should sit in the corner and cut theirself or something. lol

 

   Yeah, the plot was a rehash of a lot of previous movies like you have referred to but I think I was still able to get into the movie because it was so visually stunning and I was able to empathize with the characters.  What can I say ?  I even watch Godzilla movies. 

I watch troma movies, I like the anti pc so stupid it's funny stuff.

Terror firmer is a must watch, heh.

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin


iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
Posts: 4197
Joined: 2008-03-23
User is offlineOffline
robj101 wrote:Um yea, that's

robj101 wrote:

Um yea, that's wimpy, to put it lightly. Very few people I would actually fear a physical confrontation with, actually I can't think of any at the moment. Not to say I go out looking for it but to have a fear of it, sit around and worry about it? ..nope. Well actually there have been days I would have welcomed a huge asshole starting some shit, lol.

edit: removed because I am only part asshole.

i avoid fights like the plague, because the only problem i would have with someone assaulting me is that i would probably be the one going to prison, because i will fight dirty.

i will break a bottle over someone's head.

i will go for the back of the knee with a telescoping baton.

i will aim for the nuts if i have the slightest opening, and i almost always wear workboots.

i will bite a motherfucker's ear off.

i will punch the throat.

i have no illusions about chivalry or sport or anything like that.  i have very strong survival instincts.  i'm a pretty strong guy.  i've mixed and poured a great deal of concrete (we did our foundation without a cement truck) and i've done my share of bricklaying.  don't get me wrong, i'm not saying you wouldn't beat me, but you'd goddamn sure wish you'd never bothered in the first place, because there would be large pieces of you missing.

in fact, i'm all for the second amendment, but i refuse to own a gun, because i know how paranoid i am at night.  if someone broke into my house, i would use that gun to kill them.  even if i had just shattered their knee with it and they were lying on the floor incapacitated, i would be so frightened and enraged that i would, without hesitation, put it to their temple and pull the trigger.  i know that as sure as i know my own birthday.  therefore, i do not own a gun.

so just don't fuck with me.  i guarantee i will never fuck with you.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson


TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
Posts: 1367
Joined: 2011-02-06
User is offlineOffline
Jean Chauvin wrote:Hi CPT,By

Jean Chauvin wrote:

Hi CPT,

By not wanting my acknowledgement of existence, you acknowledge my existence. hahahaha. This is comedy today on this site.

Look atheism does this to people. It causes people the inability to think rationally. Thus the comedy of this domain name.

Was this a joke? really.

And also, to simply use the logical fallacy of ad hominem to call me a troll because no body is able to refute me, is what we like to call in philosophy, a coward.

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).

Dear Calvin, If you wanna have a meaningful discussion about the origins of your faith from the gospels I can REFUTE you based upon a historical critical approach.  By meaningful discussion I mean no arrogant bantering, insults and snotty disposition.


 

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whip cream."--Frank Zappa

http://atheisticgod.blogspot.com/ Books on atheism


TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
Posts: 1367
Joined: 2011-02-06
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:yeah, well my

iwbiek wrote:

yeah, well my god can kick your god's fuckin' ass.

he can also kick all of ciarin's little fag, curly-haired, bearded viking gods' asses too, for that matter.

 

I agree. But he is really a high priest of the Old Ones and Lovecraft is the infinite mind in which he manifests.  I think lovecraft points to to the Druidic old ones who come from the stars and shall restore humanity to a a life beyond good and evil.  Kewl god dude. Of course he is more of the LSD to the masses rather than the opiate.


 

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whip cream."--Frank Zappa

http://atheisticgod.blogspot.com/ Books on atheism


ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
Posts: 4127
Joined: 2007-12-02
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:i avoid fights

iwbiek wrote:

i avoid fights like the plague, because the only problem i would have with someone assaulting me is that i would probably be the one going to prison, because i will fight dirty.

i will break a bottle over someone's head.

i will go for the back of the knee with a telescoping baton.

i will aim for the nuts if i have the slightest opening, and i almost always wear workboots.

i will bite a motherfucker's ear off.

i will punch the throat.

 

    Ha, you sound like a Biker to me !

 

iwbiek wrote:
so just don't fuck with me.  i guarantee i will never fuck with you.

 

   Sonny Barger, former prez of the Hells Angels  ..."Treat me good, I'll treat you better.   Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse."

Patrick is an edgy edgelord.


Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
Posts: 4121
Joined: 2010-01-12
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:So unless I

Brian37 wrote:

So unless I agree with Prozac I am not moral? I don't see how that works, but maybe you can explain that.

I think this has more to do with other subjects in other threads and very little to do with what I have called Jean out on, much less anything I have said to him in this thread.

Whose denying anyone the ability to say "you are full of shit Brian37" I think all I have done is say, "back it up".What exactly have I said or done that makes me immoral? Simply disagreeing with others isn't immoral.

Straw man central. You're putting words in my mouth. Yes, I used your post

Quote:
If I wanted your advice, I would ask for it. You can handle theists the way you want, but I do not need you to give me any lessons.

to point out a little bad news; people are probably going to give you their opinion of your behavior whether you ask for it, or not. Given past behavior on your part, it should not come as a surprise to you. Try sticking to the subject matter this time? No silly deflections, purty plz?

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)


Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
Posts: 4121
Joined: 2010-01-12
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish wrote:iwbiek

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

iwbiek wrote:

i avoid fights like the plague, because the only problem i would have with someone assaulting me is that i would probably be the one going to prison, because i will fight dirty.

i will break a bottle over someone's head.

i will go for the back of the knee with a telescoping baton.

i will aim for the nuts if i have the slightest opening, and i almost always wear workboots.

i will bite a motherfucker's ear off.

i will punch the throat.

 

    Ha, you sound like a Biker to me !

 

iwbiek wrote:
so just don't fuck with me.  i guarantee i will never fuck with you.

 

   Sonny Barger, former prez of the Hells Angels  ..."Treat me good, I'll treat you better.   Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse."

-1 for "Internet Tough Guy" syndrome. Thump your chest, drag your knuckles all you want, it still doesn't mean shit over fiber optics... I was going to say the same for Robj101, but, well. Y'know...

+1 for Sonny Barger, because even *if* you jap him into a KO (or worse,) at least a dozen or so angry bikers will be sure to pay you back in kind... slowly.

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)


robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
Posts: 2481
Joined: 2010-02-20
User is offlineOffline
Kapkao wrote:ProzacDeathWish

Kapkao wrote:

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

iwbiek wrote:

i avoid fights like the plague, because the only problem i would have with someone assaulting me is that i would probably be the one going to prison, because i will fight dirty.

i will break a bottle over someone's head.

i will go for the back of the knee with a telescoping baton.

i will aim for the nuts if i have the slightest opening, and i almost always wear workboots.

i will bite a motherfucker's ear off.

i will punch the throat.

 

    Ha, you sound like a Biker to me !

 

iwbiek wrote:
so just don't fuck with me.  i guarantee i will never fuck with you.

 

   Sonny Barger, former prez of the Hells Angels  ..."Treat me good, I'll treat you better.   Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse."

-1 for "Internet Tough Guy" syndrome. Thump your chest, drag your knuckles all you want, it still doesn't mean shit over fiber optics... I was going to say the same for Robj101, but, well. Y'know...

+1 for Sonny Barger, because even *if* you jap him into a KO (or worse,) at least a dozen or so angry bikers will be sure to pay you back in kind... slowly.

Yea I guess it would be better to lie or not say anything at all than to admit you aren't afraid of physical confrontation.

I think theres a line between that and trying to brag about being a bad ass on the internet. But to come straight out and say you hate and fear it is ok?

Where do I pick up my cyber baby pacifier.

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin


iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
Posts: 4197
Joined: 2008-03-23
User is offlineOffline
Kapkao wrote:-1 for

Kapkao wrote:

-1 for "Internet Tough Guy" syndrome. Thump your chest, drag your knuckles all you want, it still doesn't mean shit over fiber optics...

yeah, but the point is i'm not trying to be a tough guy, i'm just being honest.  if i wanted to be a tough guy, i would say i'm a black belt in xy and that i love kicking ass.  i would certainly never admit that i would kick someone in the nuts.  no, scratch that, i would prefer to kick someone in the nuts.

i've never done any of the things i said i would do.  i just know i would do them if someone put me in adrenaline mode.  in fact, i said quite clearly that it's still possible someone might kick my ass, but it would be a pyrrhic victory.

i've never kicked ass and i've never had my ass kicked.  i'm a generally likeable guy with lots of friends.  but i am a very nervous guy.  when i pass someone on the street who even remotely makes me suspicious, my hand immediately goes to my pocket knife...not to cut or stab the person, mind you, but to use the butt of the handle to shatter his nose.

that's why i don't own a gun or anything larger than my kitchen knives.  i simply don't trust myself in a crisis situation not to start slashing left and right.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson


iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
Posts: 4197
Joined: 2008-03-23
User is offlineOffline
TGBaker wrote:I think

TGBaker wrote:

I think lovecraft points to to the Druidic old ones who come from the stars and shall restore humanity to a a life beyond good and evil.

yeah, but lovecraft's old ones don't want to restore humanity to anything.  they care nothing for humanity.  they squash humanity like i squash ants while walking across my backyard.

that's why they're kickass.

 

 

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson


ScientiaPotenti...
Posts: 20
Joined: 2011-04-02
User is offlineOffline
Jean Chauvin wrote:But this

Jean Chauvin wrote:
But this is nonsense. God looks down on these puny atheists and calls them idiots.

 

Well, then you have finally proved that your God is fallable. Idiot means "not political active" originally, due to feebleminded but also people not intrested in politics was called idiots. As God is allknowing by your belief, one would think that he would know that I'm a member of a political party.

Btw, if he's alknowing - he would know the "fun" part when he was born, so why will he laugh several thousand year later for the same prank? Do you worship a juvenile madman?

Another thing, next time you pray - tell him to ease up on that nitrious oxide!


NoMoreCrazyPeople
atheistSuperfan
NoMoreCrazyPeople's picture
Posts: 969
Joined: 2009-10-14
User is offlineOffline
Jean Chauvin wrote:Sapient

Jean Chauvin wrote:

Sapient wrote:

"But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire." - Matthew 5:22

 

Hi Sapient,

This is cute. An atheist attempts theology. The issue with this verse is talking about fellow believers. If you were to say to your brother. Also, John 1:10 clearly is via Israel, which according to the time of Jesus on earth, was Jewish brothers. It wasn't talking about people who sacrifice humans as brothers.

Since atheistst are clearely not out brothers, but rather brothers with eachother as Satan for their father, your cute attempt is like an aborted fetus against a swat of ninjas.

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).

Sapient didn't you know you have to spend years studying theology to understand the words in the bible.  You can't just read them, no no no, they lead you conclusions, but a scholar like Jean will show you that they clearly mean something different.  You see when god was writing the bible (bwahahahaha) he set it up that way, so that people would have all different views of what it ment, and that you shouldn't look for meaning yourself, but let Jean translate for you.  This was the purpose of the bible, for a few blatant cooks to translate for the rest.  When jesus said love thy neighboor, he ment thy Christian neighboor, duh.  Thanks Jean for showing us how mistaken we are, please translate more of the bible for us, we need it filtered through your great level headed mind.

 


robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
Posts: 2481
Joined: 2010-02-20
User is offlineOffline
NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:Jean

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

Jean Chauvin wrote:

Sapient wrote:

"But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire." - Matthew 5:22

 

Hi Sapient,

This is cute. An atheist attempts theology. The issue with this verse is talking about fellow believers. If you were to say to your brother. Also, John 1:10 clearly is via Israel, which according to the time of Jesus on earth, was Jewish brothers. It wasn't talking about people who sacrifice humans as brothers.

Since atheistst are clearely not out brothers, but rather brothers with eachother as Satan for their father, your cute attempt is like an aborted fetus against a swat of ninjas.

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).

Sapient didn't you know you have to spend years studying theology to understand the words in the bible.  You can't just read them, no no no, they lead you conclusions, but a scholar like Jean will show you that they clearly mean something different.  You see when god was writing the bible (bwahahahaha) he set it up that way, so that people would have all different views of what it ment, and that you shouldn't look for meaning yourself, but let Jean translate for you.  This was the purpose of the bible, for a few blatant cooks to translate for the rest.  When jesus said love thy neighboor, he ment thy Christian neighboor, duh.  Thanks Jean for showing us how mistaken we are, please translate more of the bible for us, we need it filtered through your great level headed mind.

 

That's about it. Lets go to church and listen to the preacher interpret one passage from the bible and take 20 minutes explaining it in his own creative little way.

The difference in a preacher and jean is that a preacher will avoid the nastier passages whereas jean relishes them.

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin


NoMoreCrazyPeople
atheistSuperfan
NoMoreCrazyPeople's picture
Posts: 969
Joined: 2009-10-14
User is offlineOffline
Neoatheist wrote:I loved

Neoatheist wrote:

I loved Inception. I like a lot of Leonardo di Caprio's movies. Inception definitely lived up to the hype for me, but then again I thought Avatar was amazing as well and most people would tend to disagree with me on that.

I think it's retarded to say avatar sucked.  You can say you didn't like it, not your type of movie, too commercial, needed better story line etc... That's fine, I'd probably agree.  But avatar was dope no matter which way you slice it.  I find someone saying avatar sucks is like me saying metalica sucks, it's rediculous.  Metalica rocks whether I like that kind of music or not, they are sick, the guitar rifts, the drums, SICK!  As a musician I almost feel as though it isn't my right to say metalica sucks (can say it, but can I demonstrate it), as their musical ability demonstrates the contrary, and I don't like metal, hate it, but metalica still rocks, I'd be the first to say that.   Whether you like avatar or not, it was SICK, an amazing piece of work, that's that. 


Ktulu
atheist
Posts: 1831
Joined: 2010-12-21
User is offlineOffline
NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:I

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

I think it's retarded to say avatar sucked.  You can say you didn't like it, not your type of movie, too commercial, needed better story line etc... That's fine, I'd probably agree.  But avatar was dope no matter which way you slice it.  I find someone saying avatar sucks is like me saying metalica sucks, it's rediculous.  Metalica rocks whether I like that kind of music or not, they are sick, the guitar rifts, the drums, SICK!  As a musician I almost feel as though it isn't my right to say metalica sucks (can say it, but can I demonstrate it), as their musical ability demonstrates the contrary, and I don't like metal, hate it, but metalica still rocks, I'd be the first to say that.   Whether you like avatar or not, it was SICK, an amazing piece of work, that's that. 

Hmmm, you think it's 'retarded' for me to express a subjective opinion of a medium created to inspire subjective opinions? I think your statement is retarded.  I didn't say that it didn't make billions, or that a lot of people didn't like it.  A lot of people like Jesus, I don't think he rocks for that reason, by your reasoning, you do.

"Don't seek these laws to understand. Only the mad can comprehend..." -- George Cosbuc


NoMoreCrazyPeople
atheistSuperfan
NoMoreCrazyPeople's picture
Posts: 969
Joined: 2009-10-14
User is offlineOffline
robj101

robj101 wrote:

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

Jean Chauvin wrote:

Sapient wrote:

"But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire." - Matthew 5:22

 

Hi Sapient,

This is cute. An atheist attempts theology. The issue with this verse is talking about fellow believers. If you were to say to your brother. Also, John 1:10 clearly is via Israel, which according to the time of Jesus on earth, was Jewish brothers. It wasn't talking about people who sacrifice humans as brothers.

Since atheistst are clearely not out brothers, but rather brothers with eachother as Satan for their father, your cute attempt is like an aborted fetus against a swat of ninjas.

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).

Sapient didn't you know you have to spend years studying theology to understand the words in the bible.  You can't just read them, no no no, they lead you conclusions, but a scholar like Jean will show you that they clearly mean something different.  You see when god was writing the bible (bwahahahaha) he set it up that way, so that people would have all different views of what it ment, and that you shouldn't look for meaning yourself, but let Jean translate for you.  This was the purpose of the bible, for a few blatant cooks to translate for the rest.  When jesus said love thy neighboor, he ment thy Christian neighboor, duh.  Thanks Jean for showing us how mistaken we are, please translate more of the bible for us, we need it filtered through your great level headed mind.

 

That's about it. Lets go to church and listen to the preacher interpret one passage from the bible and take 20 minutes explaining it in his own creative little way.

The difference in a preacher and jean is that a preacher will avoid the nastier passages whereas jean relishes them.

Being raised a joho they started early with this crap on me, as they do to all kids.  They make you give "talks" which are from 5min to 1hour on a few verses in the bible.  I remember getting the Elijah baldhead story once, I was about 11 and obviously already understood the nastiness of the deities actions in the story.   When I asked "wait, so god killed the kids because they called him bald?"  They just kind of fluffed it off to "it's the moral of the story"  or "god was making a point, it might not have literally happened," etc...  The elders/my parents/study partners "helped me" (wrote for me) my own insights on the verses.  I was then forced to stand up infront of about 40 people and talk for 5 minutes about how great god was for showing his love for elijah, and how we too could be loved like elijah.

 

Man when I think about this stuff and the memories become clearer and that feeling of being in that cult takes over I feel like I could go over to those elders house right now and break their noses.  Wouldn't do anything they would just continue to indoctrinate children, continue to force this crap on them, continue to force them to do and say things they disagree with, disgusting.


Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
Posts: 5133
Joined: 2009-09-17
User is offlineOffline
I enjoyed Avatar

 

notwithstanding the cringeworthy sentimentality evidenced in the gathering of the tribes when the score soared to vomitous heights of improbability. The part when the rebels attacked all the death stars in the gravity defying mountains and sank them with bows and arrows blew my suspension of reality circuits. 

What I liked were the effects, the amazing theme of a differently-abled marine being rebodied and that hissing blue chick. The inventive ecosystems on Pandora were awesome. The spirit connection thing made me wish it was true. And the colonel riding into battle drinking coffee.

Of course the depiction of the evil US soldiers was so stereotypical I wondered why the extras agreed to play along with it.  There were times I wished James Cameron dead or at least forced to right out John Pilger and Noam Chomsky books longhand for all eternity. But I still bought it DVD... 

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck


robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
Posts: 2481
Joined: 2010-02-20
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist

Atheistextremist wrote:

 

notwithstanding the cringeworthy sentimentality evidenced in the gathering of the tribes when the score soared to vomitous heights of improbability. The part when the rebels attacked all the death stars in the gravity defying mountains blew my suspension of reality circuits.

What I liked were the effects, the amazing theme of a differently-abled marine being rebodied and that hissing blue chick. The inventive ecosystems on Pandora were awesome. The spirit connection thing made me wish it was true. And the colonel riding into battle drinking coffee.

Of course the depiction of the evil US soldiers was so stereotypical I wondered why the extras agreed to play along with it.  There were times I wished James Cameron dead or at least forced to right out John Pilger and Noam Chomsky books longhand for all eternity. But I still bought it DVD... 

I liked the premise and the creativity put in the world. Kind of a nice little dream place. Even though that was mainly why I liked it I still also bought the dvd. They could have made a "documentary" on the world and I might have bought it just because it was a neat, serene and beautiful concept that looked good on the screen.

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin


NoMoreCrazyPeople
atheistSuperfan
NoMoreCrazyPeople's picture
Posts: 969
Joined: 2009-10-14
User is offlineOffline
Ktulu

Ktulu wrote:

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

I think it's retarded to say avatar sucked.  You can say you didn't like it, not your type of movie, too commercial, needed better story line etc... That's fine, I'd probably agree.  But avatar was dope no matter which way you slice it.  I find someone saying avatar sucks is like me saying metalica sucks, it's rediculous.  Metalica rocks whether I like that kind of music or not, they are sick, the guitar rifts, the drums, SICK!  As a musician I almost feel as though it isn't my right to say metalica sucks (can say it, but can I demonstrate it), as their musical ability demonstrates the contrary, and I don't like metal, hate it, but metalica still rocks, I'd be the first to say that.   Whether you like avatar or not, it was SICK, an amazing piece of work, that's that. 

Hmmm, you think it's 'retarded' for me to express a subjective opinion of a medium created to inspire subjective opinions? I think your statement is retarded.  I didn't say that it didn't make billions, or that a lot of people didn't like it.  A lot of people like Jesus, I don't think he rocks for that reason, by your reasoning, you do.

What???  Ummmm NO!  I said nothing of the sort, metalica doesn't rock because many people think metalica rocks, nice straw man though.  Metalica rocks because their musical ability is high, their lyrics meaningful, their shows entertaining, etc...  I can demonstrate how good their chord structures are, it is only subjective to a certain point, unless you are using no scale at all to judge from.  For example if you say mozart sucked my baby smashing the keys of my piano sounds better, because it is subjective, your an idiot.  Their is a basic standard to judge against, a standard of sounds and harmonies that please the human mind.  You can say avatar sucks all you want, it simply doesn't, it may be lacking to you it was to me aswell, but it doesn't suck sorry buddy demonstrate it.  I can demonstrate it was an amazing piece of cinema, by using other great pieces of cinema as some basic standards to compare.  The guy (you) standing their saying "it does suck, it does suck" is like saying the empire state building is small because the sun is bigger and size is subjective.  It's like, ya we get that, but it's a silly statement.

 

Please demonstrate that avatar literally "sucked."  I could demonstrate that the song Friday "sucks" by using some basic standards of good music to compare it too.  And I still probably wouldn't use the term "sucked," i'd say silly, or immature, or not well written, and it actually does suck!  haha

 

It's like looking at a bob roos painting and saying "this sucks."  No, it is too beuitiful to suck, you might not like the painting but iot doesn't suck.  If we were looking at a red dot on the canvas, well you might be able to argue that that sucks, but arguing a bob ross painting sucks aint gona get you bvery far, about as far as arguing avatar sucks will get you.

 

 


robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
Posts: 2481
Joined: 2010-02-20
User is offlineOffline
NoMoreCrazyPeople

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

Ktulu wrote:

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

I think it's retarded to say avatar sucked.  You can say you didn't like it, not your type of movie, too commercial, needed better story line etc... That's fine, I'd probably agree.  But avatar was dope no matter which way you slice it.  I find someone saying avatar sucks is like me saying metalica sucks, it's rediculous.  Metalica rocks whether I like that kind of music or not, they are sick, the guitar rifts, the drums, SICK!  As a musician I almost feel as though it isn't my right to say metalica sucks (can say it, but can I demonstrate it), as their musical ability demonstrates the contrary, and I don't like metal, hate it, but metalica still rocks, I'd be the first to say that.   Whether you like avatar or not, it was SICK, an amazing piece of work, that's that. 

Hmmm, you think it's 'retarded' for me to express a subjective opinion of a medium created to inspire subjective opinions? I think your statement is retarded.  I didn't say that it didn't make billions, or that a lot of people didn't like it.  A lot of people like Jesus, I don't think he rocks for that reason, by your reasoning, you do.

What???  Ummmm NO!  I said nothing of the sort, metalica doesn't rock because many people think metalica rocks, nice straw man though.  Metalica rocks because their musical ability is high, their lyrics meaningful, their shows entertaining, etc...  I can demonstrate how good their chord structures are, it is only subjective to a certain point, unless you are using no scale at all to judge from.  For example if you say mozart sucked my baby smashing the keys of my piano sounds better, because it is subjective, your an idiot.  Their is a basic standard to judge against, a standard of sounds and harmonies that please the human mind.  You can say avatar sucks all you want, it simply doesn't, it may be lacking to you it was to me aswell, but it doesn't suck sorry buddy demonstrate it.  I can demonstrate it was an amazing piece of cinema, by using other great pieces of cinema as some basic standards to compare.  The guy (you) standing their saying "it does suck, it does suck" is like saying the empire state building is small because the sun is bigger and size is subjective.

 

Please demonstrate that avatar literally "sucked."  I could demonstrate that the song Friday "sucks" by using some basic standards of good music to compare it too.  And I still probably wouldn't use the term "sucked," i'd say silly, or immature, or not well written, and it actually does suck!  haha

 

It's like looking at a bob roos painting and saying "this sucks."  No, it is too beuitiful to suck, you might not like the painting but iot doesn't suck.  If we were looking at a red dot on the canvas, well you might be able to argue that that sucks, but arguing a bob ross painting sucks aint gona get you bvery far, about as far as arguing avatar sucks will get you.

 

 

Personal level and um, overall level? I don't personally like metallica (I used too) but they sell a lot of records and people seem to like them so there must be something to it.

I like Megadeth (even tho dave is a born again christian) but a lot of people don't. It's kinda like how I personally don't like abortion but I see for the greater good it should be legal to make your own choice.

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin


Ktulu
atheist
Posts: 1831
Joined: 2010-12-21
User is offlineOffline
NoMoreCrazyPeople

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

What???  Ummmm NO!  I said nothing of the sort, metalica doesn't rock because many people think metalica rocks, nice straw man though.  Metalica rocks because their musical ability is high, their lyrics meaningful, their shows entertaining, etc...  I can demonstrate how good their chord structures are, it is only subjective to a certain point, unless you are using no scale at all to judge from.  For example if you say mozart sucked my baby smashing the keys of my piano sounds better, because it is subjective, your an idiot.  Their is a basic standard to judge against, a standard of sounds and harmonies that please the human mind.  You can say avatar sucks all you want, it simply doesn't, it may be lacking to you it was to me aswell, but it doesn't suck sorry buddy demonstrate it.  I can demonstrate it was an amazing piece of cinema, by using other great pieces of cinema as some basic standards to compare.  The guy (you) standing their saying "it does suck, it does suck" is like saying the empire state building is small because the sun is bigger and size is subjective.

 

Please demonstrate that avatar literally "sucked."  I could demonstrate that the song Friday "sucks" by using some basic standards of good music to compare it too.  And I still probably wouldn't use the term "sucked," i'd say silly, or immature, or not well written, and it actually does suck!  haha

 

It's like looking at a bob roos painting and saying "this sucks."  No, it is too beuitiful to suck, you might not like the painting but iot doesn't suck.  If we were looking at a red dot on the canvas, well you might be able to argue that that sucks, but arguing a bob ross painting sucks aint gona get you bvery far, about as far as arguing avatar sucks will get you.

I think there's a bit of poo flinging going on here, let's try to break this down like semi-intelligent bipeds Smiling

Firstly, let's stick to Avatar because I like the music Metallica used to put out, I think they are complete asshats since the whole Napster thing, but that's a whole other discussion and I digress.

Let's throw in some definitions here to avoid tautology.  We both must agree that Avatar is a piece of art.  Let's see what wiki says about art:

wiki wrote:

Art is the product or process of deliberately arranging items (often with symbolic significance) in a way that influences and affects one or more of the senses, emotions, and intellect. It encompasses a diverse range of human activities, creations, and modes of expression, including music, literature, film, photography, sculpture, and paintings.   The meaning of art is explored in a branch of philosophy known as aesthetics, and even disciplines such as history and psychology analyze its relationship with humans and generations.

Now when it comes to judging art you can take a few approaches, but myself as a self proclaimed rational atheist (rational in the sense that I rationalized my position ) I always take the relative approach to everything.  To do otherwise you have to prove an objective standard.  Now, I judge movies on a number of levels, all of which relate to me, and very few relate to the 'process' of movie making.

Some of the properly executed processes will contribute to the overall quality of the movie, but not in themselves a good movie make.  When I pay around $20 to see a movie (VIP is about 19 something here, smaller room, bigger seats), I earn the right to express my subjective opinion regarding the movie in question.  I judge a movie based on a few categories.

1) Thought provoking. 

2) Engaging story/plot. 

3) Logical consistency.

4) It's own realistic consistency (based on its own preset universe).

And a few other minor points.  For me this movie failed on every level, and it did so in an excruciatingly long time.  The story was not logically consistent, or thought provoking.  The plot was cliche, and extremely predictable, and if all it's preset constants were met, the way the story went is very unlikely.  

Those are my reasons and my opinions, I don't claim any absolute objective judgment, I may be the only person in the world holding this opinion, frankly I don't really care.  

I do think, however, that in order for you to call my opinion retarded, you must firstly prove an absolute transcendent frame of reference by which all movies, are judged.  You then have to prove that my reasons for disagreeing with said evaluation standard are wrong.  Please enlighten me, maybe you can then show me your absolute moral frame of reference along with all your other absolutes.  Perhaps Mr. Metaphysics can help you along Smiling

But than again, I'm a retard, so what do I know.

"Don't seek these laws to understand. Only the mad can comprehend..." -- George Cosbuc


jcgadfly
Superfan
Posts: 6791
Joined: 2006-07-18
User is offlineOffline
Jean, the problem you have

Jean, the problem you have is that even if you believe you are one of the elect, God still thinks you're an idiot.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin


Neoatheist
atheist
Neoatheist's picture
Posts: 34
Joined: 2011-04-23
User is offlineOffline
To God, the elects are the

To God, the elects are the idiots.


robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
Posts: 2481
Joined: 2010-02-20
User is offlineOffline
The supreme creator of the

The supreme creator of the universe thinks someone is an idiot. Makes good sense, if he is a man.


Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
Posts: 970
Joined: 2010-10-16
User is offlineOffline
Avatar was

Avatar was fan-freeking-tastic!

Bob Ross SUCKS! Well, not him personally but, the crap he passes off as 'art'. His stuff doesn't look any better than that of those 'starving artists' pieces that get sold at the Marriott, which are actually mass produced, assembly line style in Asia somewhere and signed with American-sounding names.

God thinks you're an idiot if you didn't like Avatar.

'Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.' A. Einstein


Ktulu
atheist
Posts: 1831
Joined: 2010-12-21
User is offlineOffline
Sandycane wrote:God thinks

Sandycane wrote:

God thinks you're an idiot if you didn't like Avatar.

hehe, and NoMoCraPPL thinks you're a retard.  

"Don't seek these laws to understand. Only the mad can comprehend..." -- George Cosbuc


redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
Posts: 1970
Joined: 2011-01-04
User is offlineOffline
Sandycane wrote: God thinks

Sandycane wrote:
God thinks you're an idiot if you didn't like Avatar.

Well, that bastard Gawd can brand me a fool agin, cuz I ain't never seen it...

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris


TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
Posts: 1367
Joined: 2011-02-06
User is offlineOffline
I liked Avatar but think

I liked Avatar but think that it promotes a New Agey type of pantheism or Gaia. 


Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
Posts: 970
Joined: 2010-10-16
User is offlineOffline
redneF wrote:Sandycane

redneF wrote:

Sandycane wrote:
God thinks you're an idiot if you didn't like Avatar.

Well, that bastard Gawd can brand me a fool agin, cuz I ain't never seen it...

WHAT?

Haven't seen it yet?

I wasn't much interested in seeing it either but a friend brought it over to me and I reluctantly said, Okay'.

It really was a great fantasy flick.

I loved the graphics, the characters, the 'set design' of the planet, just about everything - except Sigourney Weaver. I thought she sucked, the cigarette she held for a prop was ridiculous.

I think you'll like it. Give it a try.

(got to shut off the computer now. Tornado warning  )

'Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.' A. Einstein


redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
Posts: 1970
Joined: 2011-01-04
User is offlineOffline
Sandycane wrote:redneF

Sandycane wrote:

redneF wrote:

Sandycane wrote:
God thinks you're an idiot if you didn't like Avatar.

Well, that bastard Gawd can brand me a fool agin, cuz I ain't never seen it...

WHAT?

Haven't seen it yet?

Yep.

Me an Ma bin too busy gettin' are freek on...

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris


Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
Posts: 970
Joined: 2010-10-16
User is offlineOffline
TGBaker wrote:I liked Avatar

TGBaker wrote:

I liked Avatar but think that it promotes a New Agey type of pantheism or Gaia. 

We could do with a bit of that, imo.... getting closer to Nature, that is.

I don't think it 'promoted' anything though except maybe a new line of toys and video games.

'Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.' A. Einstein


robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
Posts: 2481
Joined: 2010-02-20
User is offlineOffline
Sandycane wrote:TGBaker

Sandycane wrote:

TGBaker wrote:

I liked Avatar but think that it promotes a New Agey type of pantheism or Gaia. 

We could do with a bit of that, imo.... getting closer to Nature, that is.

I don't think it 'promoted' anything though except maybe a new line of toys and video games.

Yea I don't think there's anything wrong with it. I'm not sure everyone is set against a god here and what was presented in the movie would certainly be more tolerable than the religion we have were it real.

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin


TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
Posts: 1367
Joined: 2011-02-06
User is offlineOffline
robj101 wrote:Sandycane

robj101 wrote:

Sandycane wrote:

TGBaker wrote:

I liked Avatar but think that it promotes a New Agey type of pantheism or Gaia. 

We could do with a bit of that, imo.... getting closer to Nature, that is.

I don't think it 'promoted' anything though except maybe a new line of toys and video games.

Yea I don't think there's anything wrong with it. I'm not sure everyone is set against a god here and what was presented in the movie would certainly be more tolerable than the religion we have were it real.

Yea a sorta Mother Nature with actual neurons in the vegetation. There was also some native American allusions.  It kinda gets down to a Star Wars type force vs. a Theistic dictator when you look at this type of spiritualism. I'll go with the force be with you any day over a Yahwehistic tyrant.

 

 

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whip cream."--Frank Zappa

http://atheisticgod.blogspot.com/ Books on atheism


Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
Posts: 4121
Joined: 2010-01-12
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:Kapkao wrote:-1

iwbiek wrote:

Kapkao wrote:

-1 for "Internet Tough Guy" syndrome. Thump your chest, drag your knuckles all you want, it still doesn't mean shit over fiber optics...

yeah, but the point is i'm not trying to be a tough guy, i'm just being honest.  if i wanted to be a tough guy, i would say i'm a black belt in xy and that i love kicking ass.  i would certainly never admit that i would kick someone in the nuts.  no, scratch that, i would prefer to kick someone in the nuts.

i've never done any of the things i said i would do.  i just know i would do them if someone put me in adrenaline mode.  in fact, i said quite clearly that it's still possible someone might kick my ass, but it would be a pyrrhic victory.

i've never kicked ass and i've never had my ass kicked.  i'm a generally likeable guy with lots of friends.  but i am a very nervous guy.  when i pass someone on the street who even remotely makes me suspicious, my hand immediately goes to my pocket knife...not to cut or stab the person, mind you, but to use the butt of the handle to shatter his nose.

that's why i don't own a gun or anything larger than my kitchen knives.  i simply don't trust myself in a crisis situation not to start slashing left and right.

Dude... I wasn't necessarily focusing on either you or Rob. Just using you two as examples. I don't dictate to others what to say or how to act (making an exception for 'nuisance posters), instead simply pointing out how I'd choose to do things, the occasional interjection of knowledge, etc.

rbj101 wrote:
something about needing pacifiers

You're on uppers? I never would have guessed! 

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)


Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
Posts: 970
Joined: 2010-10-16
User is offlineOffline
TGBaker wrote:Yea I don't

TGBaker wrote:

Yea I don't think there's anything wrong with it. I'm not sure everyone is set against a god here and what was presented in the movie would certainly be more tolerable than the religion we have were it real.

Yea a sorta Mother Nature with actual neurons in the vegetation. There was also some native American allusions.  It kinda gets down to a Star Wars type force vs. a Theistic dictator when you look at this type of spiritualism. I'll go with the force be with you any day over a Yahwehistic tyrant.

Me too.

I liked the way all life on the planet was 'connected'.... Not sure I like the idea of the Spirit Tree though, a place where the dead hang out.

'Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.' A. Einstein


TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
Posts: 1367
Joined: 2011-02-06
User is offlineOffline
Sandycane wrote:TGBaker

Sandycane wrote:

TGBaker wrote:

Yea I don't think there's anything wrong with it. I'm not sure everyone is set against a god here and what was presented in the movie would certainly be more tolerable than the religion we have were it real.

Yea a sorta Mother Nature with actual neurons in the vegetation. There was also some native American allusions.  It kinda gets down to a Star Wars type force vs. a Theistic dictator when you look at this type of spiritualism. I'll go with the force be with you any day over a Yahwehistic tyrant.

Me too.

I liked the way all life on the planet was 'connected'.... Not sure I like the idea of the Spirit Tree though, a place where the dead hang out.

I know but you should see my attic. I don't know what hangs out there. A tree is a little better than a haunting


 

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whip cream."--Frank Zappa

http://atheisticgod.blogspot.com/ Books on atheism


Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
Posts: 970
Joined: 2010-10-16
User is offlineOffline
TGBaker wrote:I know but you

TGBaker wrote:

I know but you should see my attic. I don't know what hangs out there. A tree is a little better than a haunting


 

 

True.

I don't have any spooks in my attic - only Brown Recluses and an occasional rodent of some sort. Still, I'm afraid to go in there.

'Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.' A. Einstein


BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
Posts: 5939
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Neoatheist wrote:I also

Neoatheist wrote:

I also loved Shutter Island and Blood Diamond. I thought Titanic was pretty good too. Not much replay value left anymore though.

Hmm, based on your comments so far, we have very similar taste in movies...

As a long-time Sci-Fi and (some) Fantasy fan, I have become accustomed to the various forms of 'willing suspension of disbelief' that allow me to enjoy many movies and novels that stretch plausibility in many ways, for their aesthetic merits.

I can accept the purest fantasy if I like the story-line and/or the 'message'.

OTOH I can get quite irritated at a 'hard science fiction' story which gets some aspect of science wrong.

I saw a HD Flat Panel TV playing a scene from Avatar in a store recently, and decided I have to get something to play that at home... 

 

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology


luca
atheist
Posts: 401
Joined: 2011-02-21
User is offlineOffline
Slayer

I agree with scientiapotentianostra: to simply say "atheists are idiots because..." is a useless statement. It doesn't prove nothing and it's fallacious. Atheism is so eterogeneous... I mean it leaves you free to do what you want. And obviously Jean got the atheism definition wrong.
I have a compelling feel to at least mention Slayer once, after Metallica and Megadeth have been extracted from the hat.
Avatar: there is a name for that: high concept movie. It's only marketing. The flora and the fauna of the place doesn't make very much sense, they are very colored and variegate only for the spectator enjoinment. The low gravity isn't affecting anything. Those blue people have carbon reinforced bones?! C'mon! And then to save everyone who shall come? A human. A human that without breaking a sweat gets the damn biggest 'bird' or what is that and gets the 'princess' and so on. Pffft. I would have liked it if the nav'i organized themselves and kicked human butts alone (but by the way, isn't the whole planet 'a giant brain'? couldn't this help them?).