Who Liked the Irreverent Alien Movie, Paul?

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Who Liked the Irreverent Alien Movie, Paul?

I saw this film the other day and had a good laugh. Sure there were cliches but they were heartily embraced and in a way, this short circuited them. There was a hat-tip to most every alien movie I can think of and a few I can't. 

But most appealing was the profound pro-evolution, anti-creationist message that came through. Those who spend all their time reading high literature and labouring through impenetrable foreign fare may think Paul a rather weak film.

They'd be right in part. There's silliness aplenty. On the other hand, anyone who enjoys seeing the godly and their precepts mocked relentlessly and who loves aliens and comics will get pleasure out of this movie.  

Something else I liked was the swearing. Rarely does movie swearing reach the level of sophistication it attains in Paul.

Finally, given the alien Paul's role as an ship-wrecked missionary and accidental doctor to humanity, I can't help suspecting that this Paul and that Paul represent one and the same thing. 

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

B166ER
atheist
B166ER's picture
User is offlineOffline
I would like to see the movie.

As I've loved the crew who worked on it since I saw the show Spaced, I'll see this movie when it leaves theaters (since I'm not enough of a chump to spend 15-20 bucks on a movie!) and hopefully enjoy it then.

"This may shock you, but not everything in the bible is true." The only true statement ever to be uttered by Jean Chauvinism, sociopathic emotional terrorist.
"A Boss in Heaven is the best excuse for a boss on earth, therefore If God did exist, he would have to be abolished." Mikhail Bakunin
"The means in which you take,
dictate the ends in which you find yourself."
"Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government! Supreme leadership derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!"
No Gods, No Masters!

Thunderios
atheist
User is offlineOffline
B166ER wrote:As I've loved

B166ER wrote:

As I've loved the crew who worked on it since I saw the show Spaced, I'll see this movie when it leaves theaters (since I'm not enough of a chump to spend 15-20 bucks on a movie!) and hopefully enjoy it then.

Haven't seen spaced, yet. I'm going to, though.
Same goes for Paul, I'm going to buy it after it's released on DVD, not in the cinema (I mean, the special effects aren't so great that it's supposed to be watched on a big screen).

B166ER
atheist
B166ER's picture
User is offlineOffline
WHAT?!?!?!

Thunderios wrote:
Haven't seen spaced, yet. I'm going to, though.

WHAT?!?!?! C'mon man, are you not from the UK? It's a great British nerd humor comedy. I would put it up with other more recent British nerd/stoner comedies like Ideal. I love them!

Here is a link to one of my favorite scenes from the show. I would embed it here but it's been disabled.

Man, I want that TARDIS door for my bedroom door. Then, whenever I'm lucky enough to bring a lady (or ladies if I'm extra lucky!) home, I can give them the "it's bigger on the inside" line for my own personal amusement while they wonder what I'm talking about. XD

My favorite line from the clip: "But Jarr-Jarr Binks makes the Ewoks look like fucking Shaft!" Epic comedy gold!

"This may shock you, but not everything in the bible is true." The only true statement ever to be uttered by Jean Chauvinism, sociopathic emotional terrorist.
"A Boss in Heaven is the best excuse for a boss on earth, therefore If God did exist, he would have to be abolished." Mikhail Bakunin
"Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government! Supreme leadership derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!"
No Gods, No Masters!

Thunderios
atheist
User is offlineOffline
B166ER wrote:Are you not

B166ER wrote:

Are you not from the UK?

Nope. Do love British and nerdy humour, though.
Are you from the UK, by any chance? (I'd guess not, since you spelt humoUr without a u Smiling)

Okay, I should watch it, then.
*starts downloading*

Quote:
or ladies if I'm extra lucky!

That is something I never will be able to do, I'm afraid. I'm so bad with girls/strangers in general. Maybe I should hang out with Rich some time (despite him living on the other side of the world), or something like that Laughing out loud

Quote:
My favorite line from the clip: "But Jarr-Jarr Binks makes the Ewoks look like fucking Shaft!" Epic comedy gold!

This is most likely going to be my problem. I don't know the entire history of everything fun and or or worth mentioning, so I will most likely not get half the references they're going to make (who's Shaft?).

Thunderios wrote:
I'm going to [watch it], though.

B166ER
atheist
B166ER's picture
User is offlineOffline
Naw, I'm not a Brit

Yeah, you would guess I'm not from the UK correctly, as I'm actually from around Seattle, WA, in the States.

Thunderios wrote:
That is something I never will be able to do, I'm afraid. I'm so bad with girls/strangers in general. Maybe I should hang out with Rich some time (despite him living on the other side of the world), or something like that Laughing out loud

Dude, I've always been terribly oblivious to sexual advances, and usually relied on my friends doing the whole "what are you waiting for?" thing. Don't worry dude, just spend more time with women and you'll get better at picking up their signals. I thought I was doomed too, but that was not to be the case, so don't give up hope!

Thunderios wrote:
This is most likely going to be my problem. I don't know the entire history of everything fun and or or worth mentioning, so I will most likely not get half the references they're going to make (who's Shaft?).

Yeah, it does have a lot of pop and nerd culture references. Shaft was a character from a book and a series of Blaxploitation films in the 70's about a black private detective.

No Gods, No Masters!

x
Bronze Member
User is offlineOffline
Simon Pegg stuff

I would strongly recommend "Shaun of the Dead" too.

Thunderios
atheist
User is offlineOffline
x wrote:I would strongly

x wrote:

I would strongly recommend "Shaun of the Dead" too.

Gotta love that film Laughing out loud
Never seen dawn of the Dead, though Smiling