The struggle for acceptance in history.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
The struggle for acceptance in history.

I couldn't sleep last night and ended up watching the movie "Milk". It struck me once again as it has with other historical movement leaders, such as King and Gandhi Susan B. Anthony.

It is sad that it always seems to take a long struggle for humanity to get over their xenophobia. It would be nice, but most certainly a utopia, to see a day when labels are not the issue, but the idea of the individual and the human evolutionary trait of wanting the ability to be open about what they are and the ability to participate in society free from fear.

The one good thing, at least in the west, for every society stuck in it's bigoted past, no matter where that pocket is, the age of mass media in cell phones and internet access and social media, is giving the bigots fewer places to hide.

I don't think our species will ever get over the "in group" "out group" battle. It exists politically and religiously and nationally and of course race. But I hope the more a minority in a given society, be it non-Muslims in Muslim countries, Muslims in America, atheists in America, Christians in Iran,,,,,,ect ect ect ect.....One can only come to the conclusion that borders never change this struggle and every human is a minority to someone else in another part of the world. But we are always the same species.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog