On swearing

Thunderios
atheist
User is offlineOffline
On swearing

Hey forum (there's a tl;dr at the end),

Yesterday I was playing football (or soccer, however you want to call it, Americans) and a couple of guys asked if we wanted to play a match against them. So we did. They are from a public (secular) school, and most Christians don't go there, so they were most likely atheists.
Every time they made a mistake, or we beat them (which happened quite a lot Laughing out loud) they started swearing with diseases (kind of the same level as goddamnit in the States). Now, I, being an atheist shouldn't really mind them using bad language, since I don't have a commandment telling me to not take God's name in vain. But despite that, I didn't like it.

So, what do you guys think about swearing? Do you think people should do it as often as they want, or is it something you should only do when you're very angry/annoyed/horny..?

tl;dr: I don't like swearing, do you?

B166ER
atheist
B166ER's picture
User is offlineOffline
Personally...

Personally, I do swear sometimes and I'm not at all bothered when other people do. But I don't think you need a god or some commandments to dislike vulgar language, especially when it becomes a verbal crutch. If you don't like that kind of language, then all you can do is model the kind of language you do like and hope that it makes an impression on those that listen to you.

As to your question if I/we like swearing, I would have to say that I'm pretty ambivalent to it. I just don't really care what words a person uses as long as those words were never used to dehumanize or attack groups of people, like bigoted slurs. I have no problem when those slurs are used to describe historical situations in which it was used (ala Tom Sawyer and such) but when used as a weapon... I think you can guess how I feel about that.

"This may shock you, but not everything in the bible is true." The only true statement ever to be uttered by Jean Chauvinism, sociopathic emotional terrorist.
"A Boss in Heaven is the best excuse for a boss on earth, therefore If God did exist, he would have to be abolished." Mikhail Bakunin
"The means in which you take,
dictate the ends in which you find yourself."
"Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government! Supreme leadership derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!"
No Gods, No Masters!

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Limited swearing when used

Limited swearing when used to emphasize a point or as an exclamation when circumstances warrant (Shit! I just broke a glass!) is not a problem for me.

Using swear words every other word just gives me the impression you are ignorant and not well educated.  After all, even babies just learning to speak can say swear words just fine. 

edit: late night last night is my only excuse

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm pretty much with cj.I

I'm pretty much with cj.

I don't find cuss words offensive at all, but when people use them just about every other word, and I have heard people who do that, it seems silly/ stupid/annoying to me, rather than offensive.

Or perhaps sad/pathetic, like someone with a nervous tic, or Tourette's.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
Everything is about context.

Everything is about context. Swearing by itself, doesn't tell you the context.

"Fuck"

"Fuck"

"Fuck"

How do you know what context in those 3 I am using them?

I could be in the first one be saying.

"I had to get the fuck home because I was late"

Or

"Boy would I like to fuck that woman"

Or

"Who the fuck do you think you are?"

A pick up game amongst KNOWN friends, no. I cuss at my co-workers in fun, not in front of the customers, all the time. But I would not shout in front of the customers "These pancakes are fucking awesome".

It isn't black and white. And I would say under your story here, it wasn't so much that they were cussing, but they were being spoil sports.

If they were good sports they might cuss and say, "You guys kicked our fucking ass".

The cussing isn't the issue, the context is.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline

B166ER
atheist
B166ER's picture
User is offlineOffline
HAHAHA

Thank you red!

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Same as cj and Bob. It's

Same as cj and Bob. It's okay to not like it. We don't need a holy commandment when it's just a preference thing. I grew up in an environment where swear words were quite bad, so I still don't like it when people swear a lot. But, I swear occasionally too, so imo, like many other things, best in moderation.

Just based on my experiences, people that swear every other word tend to have personalities that I don't like very much...  

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Swearing with diseases?

Swearing with diseases? Sounds like they were Polish guys. Cholera!!

I don't swear much, due to my lazy emotions or lack of them. Swearing requires to get angry, which is usually too much trouble to bother. If I swear, then only half-heartedly or to bring my speech to the level of company I find myself in. 
Bad language at my home was really extremely forbidden, just like smoking. Guess I've been brought up to feel superior over the primitives who drink beer, smoke, swear and watch sports. With some people, bad language can make more than 40% of words in a single sentence, filling in the place where thoughts should be. 

Which reminds me of one 26 year old deputy from my parliament. She was recently secretly recorded during a meeting in cafeteria, which revealed a vast conspiracy and power struggles in my government (basically, you need 7 million dollars to found a new party and all the wealth of state budget is yours) The record featured a long rant of colloquial language and swear words, which gives you a good idea what kind of people run my state.

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Luminon wrote:(basically,

Luminon wrote:

(basically, you need 7 million dollars to found a new party and all the wealth of state budget is yours)

and yet your president still needs to steal pens?

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:Luminon

iwbiek wrote:

Luminon wrote:

(basically, you need 7 million dollars to found a new party and all the wealth of state budget is yours)

and yet your president still needs to steal pens?

Well, in 90's his party was involved in several scandals that costed the taxpayers freakin' 20 billion dollars. I guess now he just exercises his long fingers to not get out of shape.

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

Rich Woods
Rational VIP!
Rich Woods's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hate speech often comes with

Hate speech often comes with a smile on one's face, and without using words that society considers "innapropriate"... the hypocrisy of political correctness is infutiating... and the amount of people who have bought into the "words hurt" bullshit and who grab their pitchfork whenever someone says something "naughty"  -- In My Not very Humble opinion-- shows what easily led sheep we are... Politicians often say things that could more easily be interperted as "Fuck these people"....

I regularly say awful things directed at those who I feel are a blight on humanity, but I never try to disguise it as something benign, or politically correct... and I won't apologize for it...

-Rich "Dr. Phil is a cunt and I hope that he and his whore wife get cancer on Christmas" Woods

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
cj wrote:Limited swearing

cj wrote:

Limited swearing when used to emphasize a point or as an exclamation when circumstances warrant (Shit! I just broke a glass!) is not a problem for me.

Using swear words every other word just gives me the impression you are ignorant and not well educated.  After all, even babies just learning to speak can say swear words just fine. 

In some cases, though, profanity can be attributed to an intimate knowledge of one's audience. You use words you know they'll understand.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Rich Woods wrote:Hate speech

Rich Woods wrote:

Hate speech often comes with a smile on one's face, and without using words that society considers "innapropriate"... the hypocrisy of political correctness is infutiating... and the amount of people who have bought into the "words hurt" bullshit and who grab their pitchfork whenever someone says something "naughty"  -- In My Not very Humble opinion-- shows what easily led sheep we are... Politicians often say things that could more easily be interperted as "Fuck these people"....

I regularly say awful things directed at those who I feel are a blight on humanity, but I never try to disguise it as something benign, or politically correct... and I won't apologize for it...

You may say what you want to anyone you want.  But words do hurt.  They hurt a lot and they can hurt for a lifetime.  Just saying.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

Thunderios
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Okay, great to know what you

Okay, great to know what you think Smiling

I, myself, use swears myself, when I'm alone. Not when my family is around, or something, because they don't like it. But I only use it when something is really bad (ie getting out of bed too late for school/dropping something valuable). Not every time I miss a shot at a goal. Then I smile and tell myself to do better Smiling

But it wasn't only their swears, it was their entire attitude, I think. They were grumpy or something, always getting angry when they trip over our feet or something like that.

Luminon, they use cancer/typhoid Smiling How the heck do you get from swearing to politics? Oh, wait.. It's not that big a difference.

Rich, I am dissapointed that you can't see words hurt. Maybe words don't hurt you, but they can hurt other people. Thinking it doesn't is insane, and I would almost call you an authist for thinking people think the same way you do Laughing out loud
You're also the exact opposite of me Smiling I am joining a group because I am too soft, and always swallow or ignore my anger. So it's kind of obvious that we're going to disagree on this matter.

Recovering fund...
atheistSuperfan
Recovering fundamentalist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thunderios wrote:Hey forum

Thunderios wrote:

Hey forum (there's a tl;dr at the end),

Yesterday I was playing football (or soccer, however you want to call it, Americans) and a couple of guys asked if we wanted to play a match against them. So we did. They are from a public (secular) school, and most Christians don't go there, so they were most likely atheists.

Huh? What makes you think that anyone who goes to a public school (or doesn't go to some fundie Christian school) is an "atheist"? That has to be the most ridiculous thing I've heard in a long time. I don't know what country your from (I'm guessing your from Europe) but name any European or Western country, and well over 50% of the population identify as Christian (while probably 10% or less will identify as atheist or non-religious).

That statement you made sounds like it came from some fundie Baptist who thinks that anyone who doesn't go to their fundie church or Christian school is a "god hatin' librul commie atheist pot smokin' hippie sex addict" or something.

Quote:

Every time they made a mistake, or we beat them (which happened quite a lot Laughing out loud) they started swearing with diseases (kind of the same level as goddamnit in the States). Now, I, being an atheist shouldn't really mind them using bad language, since I don't have a commandment telling me to not take God's name in vain. But despite that, I didn't like it.

So, what do you guys think about swearing? Do you think people should do it as often as they want, or is it something you should only do when you're very angry/annoyed/horny..?

I couldn't care less. I care about the content of what a person is saying, not the words they use. If a person tells me "fuck you" that will make me angry - not because they said "fuck" instead of "screw" or something, but because it's a diss. And if a person just says "fuck" casually I don't care, because the intent of their speech isn't to diss or insult anyone.

Quote:

tl;dr: I don't like swearing, do you?

Frankly I don't give a fuck. Smiling

Optimism is reality, pessimism is the fantasy that you know enough to be cynical

NoMoreCrazyPeople
atheistSuperfan
NoMoreCrazyPeople's picture
User is offlineOffline
FUCK YOU, FUCK THAT, HOLY

FUCK YOU, FUCK THAT, HOLY SHIT!!!

Untill someone finds me replacements for these statements that have a greater effect, more accurately replect my feelings, sound as good, and feel as good to say when you say them then maybe I'll consider replacing them in my dialogue.   The only thing I think should be understood about swearing is using some descretion, I certainly hold my tongue around children and usually aupolize to the parent if one slips out.  I wouldn't swaer away on a job interview, or when meeting with a client, but if the opportunity arose and I felt it fit I would swear.  If I was with a client and we felt an earthquake, you could be sure a "holy shit, did you feel that" would come out.  Stephan Fry articulates his views on swearing very well in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_osQvkeNRM 

"The sort of tweedy person who thinks swearing is in anyway the sign of a lack of education or verbal interest is just FUCKING lunatic"

"Or they say it is not necessary, as if that should stop someone from doing it, it's not necessary to have coloured sox, things not beings necessary is what makes life interesteing, the little extras"

Stephen Fry

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
I made a post bout swearing

I made a post bout swearing or "cuss words" a while back.

Doesn't bother me really and to say these words are "bad" is still someone telling me these words are bad. It means about as much as someone telling me this 4 loco I'm currently imbibing is bad, I don't really care what they think about a word. If we didn't have fuck shit etc there would be some other word they would have to say is "bad". Some people want there to be bad things even trivial things like certain "words".

If you have evidence that these words are in fact "bad" then display it, otherwise they are just words people have picked out that can mean one thing but are usually just used as colorful metaphors or to help stress a point. There is also generally another word that describes the same thing, shit = feces, doo doo, poo poo etc, fuck is sex in general etc.

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline
cj wrote:Limited swearing

cj wrote:

I agree with cj... The richness of language is undermined when expletives lose their power by over use. Give me a good strong F word instead of its derivitives. 

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whip cream."--Frank Zappa

http://atheisticgod.blogspot.com/ Books on atheism

Rich Woods
Rational VIP!
Rich Woods's picture
User is offlineOffline
Fellas.... Of course I

Fellas.... Of course I understand that words hurt... I'm not talking about undeserved, verbal beratings because some dopey kid with an underdeveloped frontal lobe has decided that Billy the Fat kid is an easy target...

I would never walk up to a kid with downs syndrome and call him a "retard"... However... I *will* call Sarah Palin a fucking retard... Those words should hurt, because they were meant to...

I see people use terms like "Family Values " to disguise their hatred of gays... or "Urban" to mask their bigotry against blacks... to me.... there is No Speach more offensive than the politically correct softening of the American vocabulary.... Ban all the words you want... but it will never change people's intent... You can Ban the "N" word, or the "F" word... but haters can replace those words with "Pumkin".... and the hate wont change... eg: "I hate that Pumkin we have for a President"

and Now we have gotten so carried away with this "words hurt" thing, that our kids whine like sissy mary's every time their delicate little feelings get hurt... we give every runny nosed little mother's angel a trophy for participating... because we dont keep score anymore... because our delicate little cherubs might feel bad if they lose... and we're denying our awful, life wrecking spawn the privelidge of negotiating life's little trevails.... because Billy the Fat kid is being protected from having his self esteem damaged by other kids....he'll be unprepared when he reaches adulthood and grown ups aren't there to wipe his ample bottom for him

We have made being a victim so damn sexy... that now we have segments of our society feigning outrage so as to portray themselves as being discriminated against, when in reality... they're really not... and politically correct verbiage is being used to gain political leverage.... we live in a country where a Guy was public enemy #1 for saying "Nappy Headed Hos"... 

Again... in my not very humble opinion.... more often than not people are feigning outrage, or "hurt" for attention... "Really little Billy?... Tommy said you were fat?... well you are, you gelatinous, cholesterol ridden disaster of a 6th grader... if you dont want to be called fat, lose weight... in the meantime, toughen up, Fatso"

Thunderios
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Recovering fundamentalist

Recovering fundamentalist wrote:

Huh? What makes you think that anyone who goes to a public school (or doesn't go to some fundie Christian school) is an "atheist"? That has to be the most ridiculous thing I've heard in a long time. I don't know what country your from (I'm guessing your from Europe) but name any European or Western country, and well over 50% of the population identify as Christian (while probably 10% or less will identify as atheist or non-religious).

That statement you made sounds like it came from some fundie Baptist who thinks that anyone who doesn't go to their fundie church or Christian school is a "god hatin' librul commie atheist pot smokin' hippie sex addict" or something.

No, our school is the only school that has a Christian base. There's one other school that has Christian in its name, but they don't read from the Bible, and teachers don't have to be Christian. So, since the schools are only five minutes apart, all people who really care about their children being raised in a safe environment, send them to my school. People who don't care about whether their children are going to believe in a god or not, send them to the other schools.

In Holland 73% of people never or barely ever goes to church. Now, I live in the Bible Belt, so it might be more, here.

Recovering fund...
atheistSuperfan
Recovering fundamentalist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thunderios wrote:Recovering

Thunderios wrote:

Recovering fundamentalist wrote:

No, our school is the only school that has a Christian base. There's one other school that has Christian in its name, but they don't read from the Bible, and teachers don't have to be Christian. So, since the schools are only five minutes apart, all people who really care about their children being raised in a safe environment, send them to my school. People who don't care about whether their children are going to believe in a god or not, send them to the other schools.

In Holland 73% of people never or barely ever goes to church. Now, I live in the Bible Belt, so it might be more, here.

Well I get your point, but just because someone I know rarely reads the Bible or goes to church, I don't consider them "atheist" unless they openly declare that they do not believe in God (or a god). Most people I know (even those who don't go to church or read the Bible) would still say their religion is "Christian" if I asked what it is, or they'd at least say that they believe in a god.

Optimism is reality, pessimism is the fantasy that you know enough to be cynical

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I love my fucking freedom.

I love my fucking freedom. And no, I don't really mind if other people swear either, even if it is at me. 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote: I love

Beyond Saving wrote:

I love my fucking freedom. And no, I don't really mind if other people swear either, even if it is at me. 

Me either. I just don't won't those words to lose their meaing or power.

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whip cream."--Frank Zappa

http://atheisticgod.blogspot.com/ Books on atheism

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
Rich Woods wrote:Fellas....

Rich Woods wrote:

Fellas.... Of course I understand that words hurt... I'm not talking about undeserved, verbal beratings because some dopey kid with an underdeveloped frontal lobe has decided that Billy the Fat kid is an easy target...

I would never walk up to a kid with downs syndrome and call him a "retard"... However... I *will* call Sarah Palin a fucking retard... Those words should hurt, because they were meant to...

I see people use terms like "Family Values " to disguise their hatred of gays... or "Urban" to mask their bigotry against blacks... to me.... there is No Speach more offensive than the politically correct softening of the American vocabulary.... Ban all the words you want... but it will never change people's intent... You can Ban the "N" word, or the "F" word... but haters can replace those words with "Pumkin".... and the hate wont change... eg: "I hate that Pumkin we have for a President"

and Now we have gotten so carried away with this "words hurt" thing, that our kids whine like sissy mary's every time their delicate little feelings get hurt... we give every runny nosed little mother's angel a trophy for participating... because we dont keep score anymore... because our delicate little cherubs might feel bad if they lose... and we're denying our awful, life wrecking spawn the privelidge of negotiating life's little trevails.... because Billy the Fat kid is being protected from having his self esteem damaged by other kids....he'll be unprepared when he reaches adulthood and grown ups aren't there to wipe his ample bottom for him

We have made being a victim so damn sexy... that now we have segments of our society feigning outrage so as to portray themselves as being discriminated against, when in reality... they're really not... and politically correct verbiage is being used to gain political leverage.... we live in a country where a Guy was public enemy #1 for saying "Nappy Headed Hos"... 

Again... in my not very humble opinion.... more often than not people are feigning outrage, or "hurt" for attention... "Really little Billy?... Tommy said you were fat?... well you are, you gelatinous, cholesterol ridden disaster of a 6th grader... if you dont want to be called fat, lose weight... in the meantime, toughen up, Fatso"

+1

George Carlin used to do a great bit on just this very thing...

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris

stuntgibbon
stuntgibbon's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Wait wait...  I want to

Wait wait...  I want to hear more about "swearing with diseases."

Do people just yell "Oh AIDS!" and the like?

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
stuntgibbon wrote: Wait

stuntgibbon wrote:

Wait wait...  I want to hear more about "swearing with diseases."

Do people just yell "Oh AIDS!" and the like?

I only know that Polish people routinely swear cholera! (an equivalent of... shit!! )

AFAIK, Poland has still the worst TV dubbing in the world, so seeing mr. Schwarznegger swear in Polish (with zero emotion in the voice) can be hilarious. 
http://edubbing.blogspot.com/2007/10/polish-dubbing-no-emotions-attached.html

In Poland, American shows aren't dubbed by actors mimicking the original, English-speaking actors. A lektor, the Polish term for voice-over artist, simply reads all the dialogue in Polish. While the lektor drones on, viewers hear the original English soundtrack faintly in the background.

That reminds me, what is the difference between ET and Polish immigrant?
ET knows English and wants to go home!

stuntgibbon
stuntgibbon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Awesome, I feel like I need

Awesome, I feel like I need to get a bit more worldly with my cussing. Yelling diseases sounds great.

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm quite happy with Jesus

I'm quite happy with Jesus F**king Christ - combines 'conventional' cuss word with taking the 'Lord's name in vain', with a nice hint of blasphemy and strong disrespect. Used judiciously, of course.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

stuntgibbon
stuntgibbon's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:I'm quite

BobSpence1 wrote:

I'm quite happy with Jesus F**king Christ - combines 'conventional' cuss word with taking the 'Lord's name in vain', with a nice hint of blasphemy and strong disrespect. Used judiciously, of course.

But now we can change it up and try things like Jesus AIDS Christ, Jesus Anthrax Christ and Jesus Gonorrhea.

Jesus Gonorrhea!

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
stuntgibbon

stuntgibbon wrote:

Jesus Gonorrhea!

lol, I think I need to start using that one. 

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving

Beyond Saving wrote:

stuntgibbon wrote:

Jesus Gonorrhea!

lol, I think I need to start using that one. 

Much more colorful than christ on a crutch.  Or Judas priest.  Or god fucking damn.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I've said it enough times to

I've said it enough times to truncate it this time round.

A swear is just a word. Whether on not you find it offensive is entirely your own problem. Word to the wise: get too pissy and ban a word, and it'll have been completely replaced within 30 years at the absolute most with a word you hate even more. No offense, but people who take offense at a sound made to convey a thought or an idea are shallow imbeciles.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Fuck is definitely my

Fuck is definitely my favorite cuss word.

It has so many meanings and can be used in a multitude of situations...

You can say, 'What the hell?' but, I prefer 'WTF' simply because the 'fuck' gives the phrase just a little more umph, especially when you accentuate it.

You can say, 'That was great.' or, you can say, 'That was fucking great.' Which means it was better than just 'great'.

You can say, 'What are you doing?' or, you can say, 'What the fuck are you doing?" Which means you really want to know what they're doing... and the appropriateness of the action.

The funniest use of the word I've ever seen is what robj101 said in the 'Don't Say Gay' thread:

'Fuck fuck, fuckity, fuck fuck'.

I don't know why but, that just cracks me up.

I don't cuss in front of people I don't know well and who may object to it.

I used to cuss like a sailor when I was drinking.  I've toned it down quite a bit since then.

'Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.' A. Einstein

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sandycane wrote:Fuck is

Sandycane wrote:

Fuck is definitely my favorite cuss word.

It has so many meanings and can be used in a multitude of situations...

You can say, 'What the hell?' but, I prefer 'WTF' simply because the 'fuck' gives the phrase just a little more umph, especially when you accentuate it.

You can say, 'That was great.' or, you can say, 'That was fucking great.' Which means it was better than just 'great'.

You can say, 'What are you doing?' or, you can say, 'What the fuck are you doing?" Which means you really want to know what they're doing... and the appropriateness of the action.

Fuck that was beautiful... *sniffle*

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris

Thunderios
atheist
User is offlineOffline
In Holland swears vary from

In Holland swears vary from Jesus Christ, to diseases (Cancer, typhus, Cholera, too, but we say k(o)lere).

Some time ago I found myself shouting oh my motherfucking god, after which I thought it'd be weird if god would fuck his mother...

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thunderios wrote:In Holland

Thunderios wrote:

In Holland swears vary from Jesus Christ, to diseases (Cancer, typhus, Cholera, too, but we say k(o)lere).

Some time ago I found myself shouting oh my motherfucking god, after which I thought it'd be weird if god would fuck his mother...

Not so weird to the Christians... according to the bible, that's exactly what god did: God being, god, the holy ghost and Jesus, god (Jesus) did fuck his own mother.

If Jesus had repeated the act, Jesus Jr. could be singing, 'I'm My Own Grandpa'.

'Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.' A. Einstein

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sandycane wrote:Thunderios

Sandycane wrote:

Thunderios wrote:

Not so weird to the Christians... according to the bible, that's exactly what god did: God being, god, the holy ghost and Jesus, god (Jesus) did fuck his own mother.

If Jesus had repeated the act, Jesus Jr. could be singing, 'I'm My Own Grandpa'.

of course, the catholic church maintains that mary kept her hymen till the day she died.  jesus just magically passed through it without breaking it.

as for his "brothers," i've had various explanations on that.  some say they were joseph's by a previous marriage (contrary to popular imagery, most christians think joseph was considerably older than mary, who was herself barely a teenager).  others try to give me some bullshit about how "brother" in greek can also mean "cousin" or something like that, which sounds like something somebody like josh mcdowell would have pulled out of his ass.  incidentally, these same people (protestants, ironically) also say that the greek word for "wine" in the bible just means any grape product, so that jesus wasn't actually drinking anything alcoholic and thus we should all be teetotalers.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson