Anybody else as excited about the new season of Doctor Who?

B166ER
atheist
B166ER's picture
User is offlineOffline
Anybody else as excited about the new season of Doctor Who?

I know that there are many fellow nerds on here. I have seen that the sci-fi is as popular on this forum as it is in my own little world, so I was wondering if anyone else is as excited about season 6 (32 in the old numbering) of Doctor Who coming out next week (4/23) as I am? I was just curious if I was going to be the only one on here that will be watching it when it airs or if any of you are planning to be a fellow TARDIS traveler next Saturday?

"This may shock you, but not everything in the bible is true." The only true statement ever to be uttered by Jean Chauvinism, sociopathic emotional terrorist.
"A Boss in Heaven is the best excuse for a boss on earth, therefore If God did exist, he would have to be abolished." Mikhail Bakunin
"The means in which you take,
dictate the ends in which you find yourself."
"Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government! Supreme leadership derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!"
No Gods, No Masters!

Thunderios
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I love it, definitely

I love it, definitely excited for the new season.
Have you seen this shorty already? It's got a few mature jokes, so it's not a kids' show any more!

I think it's kinda weird that the Doctor saves the universe time and time again, yet still cares for saving one measly human live, or something. But it's just too cool a series, so I'll ignore that Laughing out loud

B166ER
atheist
B166ER's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yeah, I hear ya!

Thunderios wrote:
I think it's kinda weird that the Doctor saves the universe time and time again, yet still cares for saving one measly human live, or something. But it's just too cool a series, so I'll ignore that Laughing out loud

I hear you dude, The Doctor's obsessions with human beings does get tiresome for me too, but any sci-fi show where every witch, ghost, magical power, or even angel (of the weeping variety), instead of magic is just an alien with completely naturalistic explanations is awesome in my book.

What other show has discussions on the naturalistic evolution of a creature with angel in it's name? I have talked to some more theistic types who really get pissed at that, which makes me love it that much more!

"This may shock you, but not everything in the bible is true." The only true statement ever to be uttered by Jean Chauvinism, sociopathic emotional terrorist.
"A Boss in Heaven is the best excuse for a boss on earth, therefore If God did exist, he would have to be abolished." Mikhail Bakunin
"Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government! Supreme leadership derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!"
No Gods, No Masters!

Thunderios
atheist
User is offlineOffline
B166ER wrote:Thunderios

B166ER wrote:

Thunderios wrote:

I hear you dude, The Doctor's obsessions with human beings does get tiresome for me too, but any sci-fi show where every witch, ghost, magical power, or even angel (of the weeping variety), instead of magic is just an alien with completely naturalistic explanations is awesome in my book.

What other show has discussions on the naturalistic evolution of a creature with angel in it's name? I have talked to some more theistic types who really get pissed at that, which makes me love it that much more!

That's true Laughing out loud You've got to love the weird sciencey bits (with angels being in a quantum state where they can move freely until you observe them, according to Schrödingers uncertainty principle Smiling)
And Amy is so good-looking that a friend of mine, who is so prudish he never talks about girls/sex or anything, called her hot XD
So it's, indeed, a series full of all things lovely.

Have you seen the olden series? I think my mind, being filled with all the action that series offer nowadays won't be able to stand the bad graphics of those times (only Monty Python has been able to persuade me to do so).

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Thunderios wrote:Have you

Thunderios wrote:

Have you seen the olden series? I think my mind, being filled with all the action that series offer nowadays won't be able to stand the bad graphics of those times (only Monty Python has been able to persuade me to do so).

I watched some Tom Baker shows a while back, and they weren't half bad. The stories are just as good and engaging, and the cardboard sets and plastic monsters are more charming than ridiculous.

And talking about the old series in relation to the new one, I'm thinking the Valeyard is going to show up this season. That would be awesome.

B166ER
atheist
B166ER's picture
User is offlineOffline
Have I seen it?

Thunderios wrote:

Dude, I have every episode, all 770, including the fan recreations of the 108 currently lost episodes, on my external hard drive. I've been a life long fan, so I grew up with the old series.

Thunderios wrote:
I watched some Tom Baker shows a while back, and they weren't half bad. The stories are just as good and engaging, and the cardboard sets and plastic monsters are more charming than ridiculous.

I grew up with the reruns of the Tom Baker years, and he's still my favorite Doctor. I love him so much that I'm piecing together the materials to make a scarf like his for my Doctor costume. Yes, I'm that much of a nerd.

Jelly Baby anyone?  XD

No Gods, No Masters!

B166ER
atheist
B166ER's picture
User is offlineOffline
Dude, I totally agree!

Thunderios wrote:
And Amy is so good-looking that a friend of mine, who is so prudish he never talks about girls/sex or anything, called her hot XD
So it's, indeed, a series full of all things lovely.

I hear you on that one, Karen Gillan is a SUPERFOX! The Doctor's a lucky bastard with the amount of hot companions he's had through the years. From Romana with Tom Baker's Doctor (Lala Ward, now married to that lucky man Richard Dawkins), who was my first childhood nerd crush, to Rose Tyler (Billie Piper) and Martha Jones (Freema Agyeman), Karen Gillan is up there as being one of the hottest companions in Who history. I can tell you that if I was in the Doctor's shoes in the end of episode 5 of season 31 (5 by the new numbering) called "Flesh and Stone", I would have reacted very differently to Amy's advances!

<-----Droolz   XD

No Gods, No Masters!

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
B166ER wrote:I grew up with

B166ER wrote:

I grew up with the reruns of the Tom Baker years, and he's still my favorite Doctor. I love him so much that I'm piecing together the materials to make a scarf like his for my Doctor costume. Yes, I'm that much of a nerd.

Jelly Baby anyone?  XD

I like scarves. Scarves are cool.

Tom Baker pretending to be strangled by a monster's tentacle that he has to wrap around his own neck, is one of the most mesmerizing things I've ever seen.

I'd like to watch some more of his stuff. What would be his best Who story, in your opinion ?

B166ER
atheist
B166ER's picture
User is offlineOffline
Shit, that's a hard question...

Anonymouse wrote:
I'd like to watch some more of his stuff. What would be his best Who story, in your opinion ?

That is a really hard question. I would have to say that my favorite Tom Baker stories, not in any other order but chronological, are:

The Ark in Space - 4 episodes

Genesis of the Daleks - 6 episodes

City of Death - 4 episodes <----one of the stories that Douglas Adams helped write so you know it's good!

Those are some of my favorite Tom Baker Who stories, and are a good place to start when it comes to the Tom Baker years.

No Gods, No Masters!

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
I could probably describe

I could probably describe myself as a fan.

Can't find any references to when the local broadcast or satellite channels might show the new series. The local free-to-air has put them out, last one in 720p HD.

They might not do that this time since they have now dedicated their HD channel to 24 hour news. Might get it on satellite, which does have some HD services.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

B166ER
atheist
B166ER's picture
User is offlineOffline
Here you go Bob

BobSpence1 wrote:
Can't find any references to when the local broadcast or satellite channels might show the new series.

Here you go: http://www.drwho-online.co.uk/   <---- one of the other forums I'm a part of

About half way down the page it lists all the stations airing it. In Australia, it's ABC1, on Saturday the 30th at 7:30 PM. Hope that helps!

No Gods, No Masters!

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
Anonymouse wrote:B166ER

Anonymouse wrote:

B166ER wrote:

Jelly Baby anyone?  XD

I like scarves. Scarves are cool.

Dude!  I have the scarf!!!1!!one!!1

Not the actual prop.  That was just a few scarves joined end to end.  What I have took my mother over 2.5 years to hand knit.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

B166ER
atheist
B166ER's picture
User is offlineOffline
SWEET!!!

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:
Dude!  I have the scarf!!!1!!one!!1

<NERD FANBOY DROOLZ!>

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:
What I have took my mother over 2.5 years to hand knit.

That is some dedication! My friend Lizzy is going to be teaching me to knit simply so I can make my own Tom Baker scarf, as I wouldn't ask anyone else to dedicate so much time to a project like this without paying them more then the scarf was worth.

No Gods, No Masters!

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
B166ER wrote:BobSpence1

B166ER wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:
Can't find any references to when the local broadcast or satellite channels might show the new series.

Here you go: http://www.drwho-online.co.uk/   <---- one of the other forums I'm a part of

About half way down the page it lists all the stations airing it. In Australia, it's ABC1, on Saturday the 30th at 7:30 PM. Hope that helps!

Thanks. I did a couple of searches on the ABC site here, and didn't find a reference to future episodes.

Its a pity they probably won't be using their HD channel since they have it now dedicated to news.

I wonder if they'll have it on my satellite connection? They have a HD channel for "UKTV".

Just checked their on-line program guide. Looks like they are playing "The End of Time", the first of the two-part special, starting next Tuesday on my satellite service. Program listing doesn't go past the second episode, maybe they'll start the new series then??? An incentive to get a new monitor that can connect to my satellite box and display HD.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
Bob, YGPM

Bob, YGPM

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

B166ER
atheist
B166ER's picture
User is offlineOffline
Wow they seem a little behind!

BobSpence1 wrote:
Just checked their on-line program guide. Looks like they are playing "The End of Time", the first of the two-part special, starting next Tuesday on my satellite service. Program listing doesn't go past the second episode, maybe they'll start the new series then??? An incentive to get a new monitor that can connect to my satellite box and display HD.

The End of Time is the last special between seasons 30 and 31 (or 4 and 5 in new numbering). Well, the way I see it, better late then never! I usually just watch the episodes on the net as people DVR them in the UK and post them. That was how I watched season 31 while it came out without having BBC America.

No Gods, No Masters!

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Just saw the first brief

Just saw the first brief preview announcement (the first I have seen anyway) for the new series, on one of the free-to-air digital channels on ABC-TV (Autralia).

"Coming soon".

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Just saw the first new

Just saw the first new episode.

Awesomeness from start to finish.

No spoilers, but a quote can't hurt :

The Doctor (to an oval office full of feds who are all pointing guns at him) : "You think you can just shoot me ?"

River Soong: "They're Americans !!"

I lold.

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Just started here...

Just started here... watching it now.

Thunderios
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I think it's weird that they

I think it's weird that they don't have any monsters in this episode. Can anyone remember another episode where there were no monsters?

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Thunderios wrote:I think

Thunderios wrote:

I think it's weird that they don't have any monsters in this episode. Can anyone remember another episode where there were no monsters?

Lol.

You have to admit, forgetting all about them as soon as you stop looking at them, that's a cute gimmick.

(allthough a bit too similar to the weeping angles, imo)

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
I liked it. Pretty much up

I liked it. Pretty much up to standard of best earlier series.

Did they show the extras where you are? "Doctor Who Confidential".

B166ER
atheist
B166ER's picture
User is offlineOffline
yeah

Anonymouse wrote:
You have to admit, forgetting all about them as soon as you stop looking at them, that's a cute gimmick.

(allthough a bit too similar to the weeping angles, imo)

As "Blink" is in my top 3-5 favorite Who episodes and the Weeping Angels are one of my all time favorite WhoUniverse aliens, I obviously didn't mind and thought the idea was pretty cool!

BobSpence1 wrote:

Sadly, I have to get my Doctor Who Confidential from slightly less reputable sources then the BBC... **<cough cough bittorrent cough cough>**

No Gods, No Masters!

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
B166ER wrote:BobSpence1

B166ER wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

Sadly, I have to get my Doctor Who Confidential from slightly less reputable sources then the BBC... **<cough cough bittorrent cough cough>**

Pity. Our govt broadcaster, ABC, has always shown them straight after the episode. Fun and interesting.

My main local complaint is that since ABC-TV put their 24-hour News on their only HD channel, I can only watch it in SD. Before that, earlier series went to air in HD (720p).

B166ER
atheist
B166ER's picture
User is offlineOffline
DAMN!

BobSpence1 wrote:
Pity. Our govt broadcaster, ABC, has always shown them straight after the episode. Fun and interesting.

Damn, you Aussies have an even better deal then the Brits themselves, since Doctor Who airs on BBC1 starting at 6 (at 45 mins usually an hour time slot) and Doctor Who Confidential airs on BBC3 starting at 6:45. Yeah, as you can probably assume, there are more then a few British nerds who express their righteous anger on many a nerd forum about just that.

I'm just happy I have every episode, from the first William Hartnell episode, through all the audio-and-set-photo recreations of the elusive 108 currently lost episodes, to the most recent Matt Smith episode, on my external. My Precioussss...

I can't wait for tonight for part two! w00t!

No Gods, No Masters!