Excellent Video Atheist daughter talks to her parents

ex-minister
atheistHigh Level Moderator
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
Excellent Video Atheist daughter talks to her parents

Wish I knew how to paste in a video.

If someone want to take this link and paste in the video would appreciate it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J4ZuHEYXkk&feature=player_embedded

Here is my attempt anyway...It might show up on some computers

I did the source thing noted by CJ from another thread and even copied old youtube code to paste in the html, but that doesn't work at all. At least the one above shows in the preview side.

Anyway watch the video. Great response from an atheist being harassed by theists. Video from TheThinkingAtheist.

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Fixxored.   For some

Fixxored.

For some reason, the standard embed codes in youtube have not worked on here for a few weeks. It could be youtube, the settings on the server or some change in the forum software.

What is working for me is to click the embed button just so that I can set the width to 640. But then, ignore that code and right click on the actual video and copy the embed html. That is what I did above and it seems to be working.

Then, don't just paste it into the standard post editor (even with the paste flash function). Rather, I get the post started and then go to the plain text editor and paste into that just before finishing the post. From there, I click to submit and it seems to work just fine. Oddly enough, that even works for some videos which the owner has set to disable embedded posting.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I especially liked the bit

I especially liked the bit about churches not needing insurance policies that dissolved into a building on fire.

My brother is an officer with my local fire department and he says that churches can be one of the worst places to be when they do burn. Mostly every bit of furniture is flammable and there is nothing to stop the fire from spreading around. That and there is no vertical fire stopping to prevent all of that heat from collecting around the main roof beam.

When the ridge beam weakens (it does not even have to burn, just lose moisture), the whole roof will fall as a single thing and inwards at that.

Also, there may only be one exit and even if there are other ways out, they tend to be behind the altar where most people never go, thus they would have to way of knowing how to get out if that was the only way.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

ex-minister
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thank you so much. Will try

Thank you so much. Will try that the next time.

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

ZeroSignal
atheist
User is offlineOffline
     Yes I got a chuckle

Yes I got a chuckle out of the church insurance.

I actually had a talk like this with my father recently.  Who at first was religious, then his 2nd marriage failed, he became depressed and his churched screwed him.  So he became "agnostic."  Then he had a heart attack and found god.  ugh. He would bring up the "lord ass kissing festival" at every conversation.  Like bitching about traffic, that's what the lord intended he would say.  So I let him have it, like the video. Except I was face to face with him.

____

The bible, good fiction? A 3 year old can write a better story.

ex-minister
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Zerosignal, Funny how

Zerosignal, 

Funny how that goes. My son-in-laws father was like that. It drives my son-in-law crazy.

I get the deer-in-the-headlight look when I talk straight to my mother and before he died my father. My mother thinks I am mad at her. She doesn't get I am expressing my view point. Some Christians just can't believe somebody can think any differently. The read the black and white bible and think that is the way the world is. Jesus said , if you ain't fer me you agin' me.

I think the USA is especially plagued with this narrow viewpoint.

Saw a bumper sticker a few days ago. You are in America Speak English.

I was thinking you are in america, speak Cherokee.

Religion Kills !!!

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ex, I didn't have that

Ex, I didn't have that problem with my father, at least about religion, and I never pushed it with my Mom, who appeared to be conventionally religious but had had to come to terms with my sceptical father.

But, I clearly remember that sort of reaction when talking to a Jehovah's Witness at my front door, after he made the old "just look around you at all the evidence of creation" thing. I responded with what I saw, in some detail, and he got that look. After a pause, he just did a mental 'reboot' and went back to the same ol' 'argument'...

I remember hearing a guy being interviewed on a local radio program which was about religion and 'spiritual' ideas, in a broad, non-proselytizing and informative way. When asked about his confidence in his faith, or if he had ever questioned it, or some similar question put in a polite way, he seemed non-plussed - he just could not imagine the belief not being true, it had clearly become so deeply part of his world-view. Questioning the existence of God would be like questioning his own existence, it seemed. Apart from this, he came across as a thoughtful and reasonable person.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

RatDog
atheist
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1

BobSpence1 wrote:

Questioning the existence of God would be like questioning his own existence, it seemed. Apart from this, he came across as a thoughtful and reasonable person.

I was once a lot like that.  The idea that god didn't exist was just unthinkable to me.  I literally couldn't think about it.  I used to feel like I was constantly in communication with god.  If I though about something I felt god would disapprove of I would feel guilty because god was right there with me an he knew what I had done.  If I asked god for forgiveness I would feel better, and I knew that it mean god forgave me.  Its really hard to describe to some one who never experienced it.  

B166ER
atheist
B166ER's picture
User is offlineOffline
Everytime I see things like this...

I feel really lucky to be raised in the family that I was, that I didn't have to deal with this kind of crap. I'm the kind of person that if somebody gave me an "ultimatum" to either believe (or lie convincingly) or leave, they can deal with never seeing me again. I don't deal with people trying to coerce me into positions I don't agree with, which shouldn't be a surprise based on my political/social positions, and if someone claims to care about me then they should take me as I am as I do them.

"This may shock you, but not everything in the bible is true." The only true statement ever to be uttered by Jean Chauvinism, sociopathic emotional terrorist.
"A Boss in Heaven is the best excuse for a boss on earth, therefore If God did exist, he would have to be abolished." Mikhail Bakunin
"The means in which you take,
dictate the ends in which you find yourself."
"Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government! Supreme leadership derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!"
No Gods, No Masters!

ex-minister
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
RatDog wrote:I was once a

RatDog wrote:

I was once a lot like that.  The idea that god didn't exist was just unthinkable to me.  I literally couldn't think about it.  I used to feel like I was constantly in communication with god.  If I though about something I felt god would disapprove of I would feel guilty because god was right there with me an he knew what I had done.  If I asked god for forgiveness I would feel better, and I knew that it mean god forgave me.  Its really hard to describe to some one who never experienced it.  

He knows when you are sleeping, he knows when you are awake, he knows when you been bad or good so be good for Christ's sake already.  

I used to be that through and through. It would be such a sin to doubt the existence of god and I didn't have any problem with believing in His existence. I just never fully could believe he would forgive me. It always had to be an assumption, a hoping for the best, but deep inside I figured I would be screwed. It had a lot to do with my incessant reading of the Bible. God seemed to be constantly angry at His own people. They were alway fucking up. They were always pissing him off. He had his very few favorites, but they were special chosen/blessed. Out of the entire world only Noah and his family were chosen. Only Lot was chosen. Only a handful of prophets were chosen. And like Jeremiah they always had bad things to say about God's people. Even with Jesus he condemned nearly all the religions leaders of his day. He said many are called, but few chosen. 144,000 in revelation. The numbers were always quite small. So, statistically I believe I had no chance in hell (or rather hell was my only chance).

RatDog,

How did you avoid that kind of thinking?

Religion Kills !!!

Zaq
atheist
Zaq's picture
User is offlineOffline
That is such a great

That is such a great video.  Nice find.

RatDog
atheist
User is offlineOffline
ex-minister wrote:RatDog

ex-minister wrote:

RatDog wrote:

He knows when you are sleeping, he knows when you are awake, he knows when you been bad or good so be good for Christ's sake already.  

I used to be that through and through. It would be such a sin to doubt the existence of god and I didn't have any problem with believing in His existence. I just never fully could believe he would forgive me. It always had to be an assumption, a hoping for the best, but deep inside I figured I would be screwed. It had a lot to do with my incessant reading of the Bible. God seemed to be constantly angry at His own people. They were always fucking up. They were always pissing him off. He had his very few favorites, but they were special chosen/blessed. Out of the entire world only Noah and his family were chosen. Only Lot was chosen. Only a handful of prophets were chosen. And like Jeremiah they always had bad things to say about God's people. Even with Jesus he condemned nearly all the religions leaders of his day. He said many are called, but few chosen. 144,000 in revelation. The numbers were always quite small. So, statistically I believe I had no chance in hell (or rather hell was my only chance).

RatDog,

How did you avoid that kind of thinking?

I suppose I didn't really avoid it.  I would have day were I would feel an incredible high, and it would feel like nothing could possible be wrong between me and God.  Other days I would feel terrified, and I would find myself praying constantly with little to no relief from my fears.   Depending on my mood when I look back on my experience sometimes I remember the good times and some times I remember the bad.    Overall I think that I am better of without belief in God.  The only think I really regret loosing is the certainty I used to feel about everything.  I don't think that I will ever again have the same kind of absolute certainty I used to have about so many different thing back when I was a believer.  I'm not sure if that is because I feel betrayed by the trust I once had in my beliefs, or if maybe it's just because I'm getting older.  Probably a bit of both.  What I don't regret loosing is my close mindedness.  Before it was like all I could see in was black and white.  Now I can see in gray, and even color.  I'm kind of overusing metaphors here, but there really is a significant difference between how I used to think and how I think now.    I think the new avenues of thought not believing opened up for me outweigh the comfort I used to feel from thinking I had things all figured out.  This is especially true when you factor in the occasional doubts and fears I used to have about my own worthiness and weather I would go hell or not.  

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
RatDog wrote: The only

RatDog wrote:

The only think I really regret loosing is the certainty I used to feel about everything.  I don't think that I will ever again have the same kind of absolute certainty I used to have about so many different thing back when I was a believer. 

you won't.  and if you're anything like me, as time goes on, you'll prefer that outlook. 

you'll also be surprised at how many people will respect you for saying, "i'd rather not talk about that.  the longer i live, i less sure i am about anything."

when i look back, the more deeply fundamentalist i was, the less respect i really got from people.  nonbelievers, and even many casual christians, will not respect you because they rightly see you as a self-righteous asshole, and most hardcore believers won't respect you either, because they all have huge inferiority complexes (i know i did) and guard whatever reputations they have for holiness and leadership jealously.  in my experience, fundies, especially young fundies, are always trying to outdo each other in holier-than-thouness and cut each other down in passive-aggressive ways, all while keeping infuriatingly condescending smiles on their faces.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson