Does anyone else see the irony?

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Does anyone else see the irony?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_shark_fossil_found wrote:

LEXINGTON, Ky. – A miner has found a fossil from a shark jawbone deep in a central Kentucky mine and now it is on display at the University of Kentucky.

The fossil was found in February in Webster County, Ky., where 25-year-old miner Jay Wright was working to bolt a roof 700 feet underground. The 300-million-year-old black jawbone is believed to be from a shark from the Edestus genus that once swam the seas over what is now Kentucky.

Wright said in an interview Friday with The Lexington Herald Leader that his first thought was "Gosh, what is this thing?"

Jerry Weisenfluh, associate director of the Kentucky Geological Survey in Lexington, said a fossil this large is rare. It's now on display in the lobby of UK's Mines and Minerals building.

The Kentucky Creationist Museum:

2800 Bullittsburg Church Rd. Petersburg, KY 41080

Granted they are a couple of hundred miles a part, but still......

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
It must have died in the

It must have died in the flood.

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yes. And while delusional

Yes. And while delusional christians continue the search for Noah's Ark to prove The Flood actually happened, I'm sure they will ignore this bit of actual scientific evidence...

and as rob said, they'll probably use it as evidence of The Flood.

'Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.' A. Einstein

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
robj101 wrote:It must have

robj101 wrote:

<rimshot>

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
User is offlineOffline

robj101 wrote:

Y'all think so.

The god probably created it in the coal bed just to mislead us non-believers just like he made all the fossil beds, oil fields and coal deposits.

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline

robj101 wrote:

Ooooookaaaayyyyy......

A creature that lives in the ocean dies in brackish water caused by the mix of ocean and fresh waters. 

Sort of works except a lot of other ocean going fish survived. 

Yeah, yeah, it was a joke - but I am thinking about really responding to someone who believes this. 

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
cj

cj wrote:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_shark_fossil_found wrote:

LEXINGTON, Ky. – A miner has found a fossil from a shark jawbone deep in a central Kentucky mine and now it is on display at the University of Kentucky.

The fossil was found in February in Webster County, Ky., where 25-year-old miner Jay Wright was working to bolt a roof 700 feet underground. The 300-million-year-old black jawbone is believed to be from a shark from the Edestus genus that once swam the seas over what is now Kentucky.

Wright said in an interview Friday with The Lexington Herald Leader that his first thought was "Gosh, what is this thing?"

Jerry Weisenfluh, associate director of the Kentucky Geological Survey in Lexington, said a fossil this large is rare. It's now on display in the lobby of UK's Mines and Minerals building.

The Kentucky Creationist Museum:

2800 Bullittsburg Church Rd. Petersburg, KY 41080

Granted they are a couple of hundred miles a part, but still......

Now I know I am dumber than dirt. But I do know that 300 million years is SLIGHTLY older than what Crapinists suggest.

So if this shark died in the flood, that shark had one hell of a long life. That or Crapinists have their bible up their ass.

"Hey Paw, looky her what I found yander in dat dur mine. I might could give it to my dawg Ol Yeller. DAG NAB IT, dat fancy Younkneevarsitee took it. Sorry Yeller."

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
as a born and raised

as a born and raised kentuckian, just allow me to emphasize that very few of us are even aware of the creationist "museum" in our own state, and those of us who are tend to cringe when it's mentioned--even christians.

kentucky is actually not an insanely religious state compared to, say, our neighbor to the south, tennessee, and compared to someplace like texas, we're not even on the radar.

the thing i'm most worried about is that fucker mitch mcconnell, who is the chief republican in the senate and from our state.  even as a kid i wished for a particularly nasty death for him.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
cj wrote:robj101 wrote:It

cj wrote:

robj101 wrote:

Ooooookaaaayyyyy......

A creature that lives in the ocean dies in brackish water caused by the mix of ocean and fresh waters. 

Sort of works except a lot of other ocean going fish survived. 

Yeah, yeah, it was a joke - but I am thinking about really responding to someone who believes this. 

Someone has to play the sarcasm card. I figure why not me.

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:as a born and

iwbiek wrote:

as a born and raised kentuckian, just allow me to emphasize that very few of us are even aware of the creationist "museum" in our own state, and those of us who are tend to cringe when it's mentioned--even christians.

kentucky is actually not an insanely religious state compared to, say, our neighbor to the south, tennessee, and compared to someplace like texas, we're not even on the radar.

the thing i'm most worried about is that fucker mitch mcconnell, who is the chief republican in the senate and from our state.  even as a kid i wished for a particularly nasty death for him.

Stop lying, your car is on blocks and your frig is on your porch. (Did I think this, or type it?)

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
None of you people were ever proper christians

It's just so obvious satan created it in order to pull the wool over our eyes and encourage us to harden our hearts against his loving word....

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

ymalmsteen887
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist

Atheistextremist wrote:

It's just so obvious satan created it in order to pull the wool over our eyes and encourage us to harden our hearts against his loving word....

I know your joking but  alot of athiests including myself reject christianity because of absurd claims in the bible about things that haapened and that you can heal the sick but no one ever has and that the core teaching of christaninty about jesus death for our sins has flaws in it(plus that sin itself doesnt make sense). Have you guys ever fought so hard mentally to try to convince yourself that christianity isnt true like I have went real deep sometimes. My cousin became an atheist for awhile and that is what inspired me to be an athiest and then later he became a christian again. He said there was evidnece for the flood and that his dad predicted something about his life and knew god had to be real. he says that its a choice to believe or not and so I tried to challenge this by saying so what influence caused you to believe instead of disbelieve. if me and you have the same evidence for belief and disbelief than what reason did I not believe and you to believe. You can't say its because your a good person and I am a bad person cause jesus is the only one that is good right. Well what arbitrary reason do you believe could it be that you are wired diffrently or that you are closer to the family than I am and have a patriotic attitude and I dont and so you believe out of your disposition to fit in with the crowd. I really feel this is the ultimate proof against the realiity of christianity and why it can't be true. Cause if its better to beleive than disbelieve than why doesnt everyone believe. What could god possible honor about you on your death bed being scared of your mortality of hell and saying I accept jesus into my heart. Even if you meant it you could never know it was true just that you were scared of the possiblity of it being true. So clearly the reason why some people believe and some dont is because of your environment Cause if it was best to believe than everyone would. Just like its best to buckle up all the time but sometimes you forget when someone says why did you forget would could you possible say to that you didnt forget on purpose cause thats not how forgetting works.

I really wish I was better spoken I think I could demolish a christian in debate with the way I approach it. I would really like to elaborate and hear some thoughts from other atheists abot this. I think it would make me feel better about being an atheist  not having these thoughts to myself.

Also atheistextr if you want to know what kind of christians I grew up around and why i am so fucked up check out the speaking in tounges thread where I posted a video some guys filmed on tv when they moved to where I lived. Those are people from the area I live and thats exactly what I had to see in church all the time but far worse it was not a healthy place to be as a kid ignorant of the world. Thats the kinda stuff I thought I had to do in order to know that god was real.

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist

Atheistextremist wrote:

Because we are pharoahs right? /slip trip "fukin snake staffs!"

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yeah look

ymalmsteen887 wrote:

Atheistextremist wrote:

I know your joking but  alot of athiests including myself reject christianity because of absurd claims in the bible about things that haapened and that you can heal the sick but no one ever has and that the core teaching of christaninty about jesus death for our sins has flaws in it(plus that sin itself doesnt make sense). Have you guys ever fought so hard mentally to try to convince yourself that christianity isnt true like I have went real deep sometimes. My cousin became an atheist for awhile and that is what inspired me to be an athiest and then later he became a christian again. He said there was evidnece for the flood and that his dad predicted something about his life and knew god had to be real. he says that its a choice to believe or not and so I tried to challenge this by saying so what influence caused you to believe instead of disbelieve. if me and you have the same evidence for belief and disbelief than what reason did I not believe and you to believe. You can't say its because your a good person and I am a bad person cause jesus is the only one that is good right. Well what arbitrary reason do you believe could it be that you are wired diffrently or that you are closer to the family than I am and have a patriotic attitude and I dont and so you believe out of your disposition to fit in with the crowd. I really feel this is the ultimate proof against the realiity of christianity and why it can't be true. Cause if its better to beleive than disbelieve than why doesnt everyone believe. What could god possible honor about you on your death bed being scared of your mortality of hell and saying I accept jesus into my heart. Even if you meant it you could never know it was true just that you were scared of the possiblity of it being true. So clearly the reason why some people believe and some dont is because of your environment Cause if it was best to believe than everyone would. Just like its best to buckle up all the time but sometimes you forget when someone says why did you forget would could you possible say to that you didnt forget on purpose cause thats not how forgetting works.

I really wish I was better spoken I think I could demolish a christian in debate with the way I approach it. I would really like to elaborate and hear some thoughts from other atheists abot this. I think it would make me feel better about being an atheist  not having these thoughts to myself.

Also atheistextr if you want to know what kind of christians I grew up around and why i am so fucked up check out the speaking in tounges thread where I posted a video some guys filmed on tv when they moved to where I lived. Those are people from the area I live and thats exactly what I had to see in church all the time but far worse it was not a healthy place to be as a kid ignorant of the world. Thats the kinda stuff I thought I had to do in order to know that god was real.

Ymalm, I thought my point was humorous because it's exactly what my mother believes in truth. She thinks satan planted the dinosaurs. 

It's not like many of us have not been where you are. I didn't shake free of my fears till I was in my 30s - my mid-late 30s at that. And here I am raving on about it ten years later. In any case, there is no god. There are just threats that are designed to scare you into believing something for which there's no evidence. Real evidence does not need threats - it stands alone.  

The reason you and your cousin don't agree is that you have a mind of your own Ymalm and it's trying to get out. 

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

ymalmsteen887
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist

Atheistextremist wrote:

ymalmsteen887 wrote:

Atheistextremist wrote:

Ymalm, I thought my point was humorous because it's exactly what my mother believes in truth. She thinks satan planted the dinosaurs. 

It's not like many of us have not been where you are. I didn't shake free of my fears till I was in my 30s - my mid-late 30s at that. And here I am raving on about it ten years later. In any case, there is no god. There are just threats that are designed to scare you into believing something for which there's no evidence. Real evidence does not need threats - it stands alone.  

The reason you and your cousin don't agree is that you have a mind of your own Ymalm and it's trying to get out. 

Yeah thats probably true. He thinks that america is a christian nation on that basis that we think killing is bad and so does god,lol. We I think of christan nation I think having all government associated stuff having to do with christanity, police cars having so slogan about jesus on the side and crosses on the hood. And people looking through the bible in court to decide a case. Of course most of them would end in death according to gods standards.

Look at what this christian wrote to me in a back and forth convo.

"God is everywhere. He IS merciful, He even gives special treatment to those who hate Him, giving what they wanted, the consequence of their destruction. God even warns. You wouldn't think a serial killer should be warned to stop killing people "or else"? No! YOU would want them serving the death penalty ASAP!
And why would Satan want a second chance? Where in the Bible does God wipe out people without mercy?

It is a story, A REAL STORY"

That last part was a reosnse to me saying it was nothing more than a story. I am not sure what he means by the serial killer thing. I remember when my grandma tried to say if someone was warning you to not to go out in the middle of the road and they didnt take your warning and got hurt whos fault woul it be. I didnt answer I just said but the warning about hell in the bible you dont even know if they are true or not so god can't say on judgement day that he warned me unless he was an idiot and actually thinks that makes sense.

You should look at that speaking in tounges thread where I posted a video of people from my town being filled with the holy spirit. I think you will get a good laugh out of it. Especially some of the comments people make.