i am being threatened

beardedinlair
atheist
beardedinlair's picture
Posts: 70
Joined: 2011-04-04
User is offlineOffline
i am being threatened

i don't know how serious to take this.

since my divorce, i have a new girlfriend. she has an ex boyfriend who is very roman catholic. i got these messages on facebook: (names changed to protect the "innocent".)
,br>

jesus freak:
You shall know that I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee. April 9 at 7:05pm


,br>

me:i am not adverse to restraining orders and jail time for anyone that even implies a threat at me. careful what you say. these messages are time stamped and are admissible in a court of law.


,br>

jesus freak:
And I saw, and behold, a pale horse, and it's rider's name was Death, and Hell followed him.


,br>

me:oh, got it. (girlfriend) didn't tell me how ridiculous you were. silly little man. too funny. gonna block you now, after printing this out for the restraining order. bye bye little man.


,br> jesus freak: (girlfriend) did tell me about your homosexual tendencies though. I guess that can be expected.
,br>

me:

sorry, i am straight, you should look to your priests for that sort of outlet.


Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
Sapient's picture
Posts: 7530
Joined: 2006-04-18
User is offlineOffline
 I've learned the hard

 I've learned the hard way... twice.  People with mental problems are dangerous.  Keep your distance, get a restraining order if it makes you feel better, don't taunt him, avoid him, ignore him, be careful.  It's not worth it and it's the only way you can be sure he wont end up in a rage moment when you're around.

 

- Brian Sapient


Buy popular atheist books and support the Rational Response Squad at the same time on Amazon.


beardedinlair
atheist
beardedinlair's picture
Posts: 70
Joined: 2011-04-04
User is offlineOffline
 i don't know how serious

 

can't fix the text block in first post. she says he has a gun.

good advice, thank you. interested in hearing your "twice" if you are willing.

it was easy to slip into taunt mode, i'm going to stop that.


Ktulu
atheist
Posts: 1830
Joined: 2010-12-21
User is offlineOffline
It's not a direct threat per

It's not a direct threat per say, of course the message is implied.  I would avoid him if that's easier, otherwise make sure you have enough information.  If you really think he'll do something, talk to a police officer.  Sometimes they can just make a phone call to 'ask for information' and that may be enough.  I'm speaking from experience here.  Crazy people are very unpredictable, and you have very little control over the situation in that regard, if this guy is serious, your best defense may be to find out as much information as you can about him.

 

"Don't seek these laws to understand. Only the mad can comprehend..." -- George Cosbuc


redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
Posts: 1971
Joined: 2011-01-04
User is offlineOffline
beardedinlair wrote: i don't

beardedinlair wrote:
i don't know how serious to take this.

Report him to the police, and he'll learn how serious it is...

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris


beardedinlair
atheist
beardedinlair's picture
Posts: 70
Joined: 2011-04-04
User is offlineOffline
right, but what can i

right, but what can i report? "he quoted scripture at me on facebook?"

well, he didn't accurately quote, cause he left out the book and chapter and verse.


Cpt_pineapple
atheist
Cpt_pineapple's picture
Posts: 5487
Joined: 2007-04-12
User is offlineOffline
Sounds like he sound be back

Sounds like he sound be back on his meds.

 

 

 


Ktulu
atheist
Posts: 1830
Joined: 2010-12-21
User is offlineOffline
beardedinlair wrote:right,

beardedinlair wrote:

right, but what can i report? "he quoted scripture at me on facebook?"

well, he didn't accurately quote, cause he left out the book and chapter and verse.

Cops are not stupid, they see this shit all the time.  You can just lay out the situation, if he has a violent past, the cop will at least call him to do a fact check.  That's usually enough to discourage further interaction.  You have to stop taunting him if you go that route though.  In Canada they can arrest you for uttering a death threat.  I'm not sure what the law is down there.  One of my buddies spent a few nights in jail in a similar situation (he was the crazy ex boyfriend).

"Don't seek these laws to understand. Only the mad can comprehend..." -- George Cosbuc


redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
Posts: 1971
Joined: 2011-01-04
User is offlineOffline
beardedinlair wrote:right,

beardedinlair wrote:

right, but what can i report? "he quoted scripture at me on facebook?"

The guy is taunting you, and using powerful language, meant to intimidate.

At the very least, it could be considered a 'tort'

Talk to a lawyer.

Or.....hope he's not off his nut, and doesn't go 'postal' because his ex is playing 'hide the salami' with you, instead of him...

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris


Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
Posts: 4214
Joined: 2008-11-11
User is offlineOffline
 OK, a few points here:  

 

OK, a few points here:

 

My family is mostly cops. You can report this stuff but that does not mean that they will file paperwork on the matter. They might but you should not count on it.

 

Find a lawyer, preferably not an ambulance chaser. He will take your calls and print out face book pages as needed. He will also want a few bucks each time but that is what it is.

 

You have said that you are ex military. I don't recall if you mentioned an MOS but that is a point to consider. Many of the MOS are people who are not trivially fucked with. If that is you then you need to consider that as a fact.

 

Drunk messing with people may get some people a lesser sentence when it comes up. Drunk messing with people when you are trained to do bad things may count against you should it happen.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=


mrOriginal
atheist
mrOriginal's picture
Posts: 80
Joined: 2011-02-26
User is offlineOffline
  be careful

 

 

be careful brother......

 


"People who believe absurdities will committ atrocities."

 

Voltaire

"Whoever feels predestined to see and not to believe will find all believers too noisy and pushy: he guards against them."

Friedrich Nietzsche


RatDog
atheistSilver Member
Posts: 562
Joined: 2008-11-14
User is offlineOffline
 Caution is good.  Human

 Caution is good.  Human beings are the only animals that I'm scared of.  Hope everything works out for you.  


Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
Sapient's picture
Posts: 7530
Joined: 2006-04-18
User is offlineOffline
 With all the cautioners I

 With all the cautioners I thought I should follow up... don't fear, just be smart.  Smart=cautious and careful about your proximity to this person.  Don't be fearful, that would be dumb as that is what he wants you to feel.  If you live in fear then you've already been beaten.

 

- Brian Sapient


Buy popular atheist books and support the Rational Response Squad at the same time on Amazon.


beardedinlair
atheist
beardedinlair's picture
Posts: 70
Joined: 2011-04-04
User is offlineOffline
thanks guys. all great

thanks guys. all great advice. i'm going to lay low, and not let my ego get involved.

those comments about my training i am totally going to apply. i didn't even think of that. I have had deadly force training. Got to be careful.

something you guys will find interesting perhaps, he sent her a text saying that i was not important and ordered her to not talk to me anymore cause they were still a couple. what i find interesting is in spite of evidence to the contrary, he believes they are still involved in some way.


Kapkao
atheistSuperfanBronze Member
Kapkao's picture
Posts: 4121
Joined: 2010-01-12
User is offlineOffline
beardedinlair wrote:good

beardedinlair wrote:

good advice, thank you. interested in hearing your "twice" if you are willing.

Sapient:same here, although it is sympathetic if you don't wish to drag personal drama into public.

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)


redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
Posts: 1971
Joined: 2011-01-04
User is offlineOffline
beardedinlair

beardedinlair wrote:

something you guys will find interesting perhaps, he sent her a text saying that i was not important and ordered her to not talk to me anymore cause they were still a couple. what i find interesting is in spite of evidence to the contrary, he believes they are still involved in some way.

I'd be concerned what her having been with him, says about her...

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris


Kapkao
atheistSuperfanBronze Member
Kapkao's picture
Posts: 4121
Joined: 2010-01-12
User is offlineOffline
redneF wrote:I'd be

redneF wrote:
I'd be concerned what her having been with him, says about her...

also... do you want chicks with ex-bf baggage?

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)


robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
Posts: 2481
Joined: 2010-02-20
User is offlineOffline
I would guess it's probably

I would guess it's probably nothing but a moron, however did she just come out for no reason and say he has a gun? That might be worrying and probably make the whole thing worth reporting to the police.

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin


Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
Sapient's picture
Posts: 7530
Joined: 2006-04-18
User is offlineOffline
Kapkao wrote:beardedinlair

Kapkao wrote:

beardedinlair wrote:

good advice, thank you. interested in hearing your "twice" if you are willing.

Sapient:same here, although it is sympathetic if you don't wish to drag personal drama into public.

 

Well this is #1: http://www.rationalresponders.com/greydonsquare

#2 is a little less known, and with no violence, but I want to respect the privacy of the other person because it's less known.

 

- Brian Sapient


Buy popular atheist books and support the Rational Response Squad at the same time on Amazon.


Kapkao
atheistSuperfanBronze Member
Kapkao's picture
Posts: 4121
Joined: 2010-01-12
User is offlineOffline
Sapient wrote:Kapkao

Sapient wrote:

Kapkao wrote:

beardedinlair wrote:

good advice, thank you. interested in hearing your "twice" if you are willing.

Sapient:same here, although it is sympathetic if you don't wish to drag personal drama into public.

 

Well this is #1: http://www.rationalresponders.com/greydonsquare

#2 is a little less known, and with no violence, but I want to respect the privacy of the other person because it's less known.

 

#1:Ugh

 

Thanks

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)


butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
Posts: 3730
Joined: 2008-09-12
User is offlineOffline
beardedinlair

beardedinlair wrote:
something you guys will find interesting perhaps, he sent her a text saying that i was not important and ordered her to not talk to me anymore cause they were still a couple.

That sounds like she might be in danger as well.

 

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare


beardedinlair
atheist
beardedinlair's picture
Posts: 70
Joined: 2011-04-04
User is offlineOffline
I told her to block him on

I told her to block him on facebook, and her phone, and if he shows up at her house, call the police immediately.

As for her beliefs, I am trying to get the bible out of her hand. I'm doing a fairly good job of it. I think I can show her how agnostism (spelling?) makes more logical clear sense.