gun nuts

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
Posts: 2481
Joined: 2010-02-20
User is offlineOffline
gun nuts

I do enjoy my right to bear arms and ran across this today, I would not have hazarded a guess.

http://www.pinkpistols.org/

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin


Cpt_pineapple
atheist
Cpt_pineapple's picture
Posts: 5486
Joined: 2007-04-12
User is offlineOffline
(No subject)


robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
Posts: 2481
Joined: 2010-02-20
User is offlineOffline
I was let down when I didn't

I was let down when I didn't see any actual pink pistols.


Beyond Saving
Silver Member
Beyond Saving's picture
Posts: 4284
Joined: 2007-10-12
User is offlineOffline
  I prefer this kind of

 

 

I prefer this kind of pink pistol. 

It was morality that burned the books of the ancient sages, and morality that halted the free inquiry of the Golden Age and substituted for it the credulous imbecility of the Age of Faith. It was a fixed moral code and a fixed theology which robbed the human race of a thousand years by wasting them upon alchemy, heretic-burning, witchcraft and sacerdotalism.-H.L. Mencken


robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
Posts: 2481
Joined: 2010-02-20
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:  I

Beyond Saving wrote:

 

 

I prefer this kind of pink pistol. 

Nice you found one, lol.

What brand is it. I have seen some pistols with colored grips but never saw a colored plastic frame. Or is this one even real ><

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin


robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
Posts: 2481
Joined: 2010-02-20
User is offlineOffline
I would take that to the

I would take that to the range just to see the expression on peoples faces there. The gun that is .. well the chik to prolly.

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin


Ktulu
atheist
Posts: 1830
Joined: 2010-12-21
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:  I

Beyond Saving wrote:

 

 

I prefer this kind of pink pistol. 

It took me a while to see the pistol in the picture lol.

"Don't seek these laws to understand. Only the mad can comprehend..." -- George Cosbuc


Beyond Saving
Silver Member
Beyond Saving's picture
Posts: 4284
Joined: 2007-10-12
User is offlineOffline
robj101 wrote:Beyond Saving

robj101 wrote:

Beyond Saving wrote:

 

 

I prefer this kind of pink pistol. 

Nice you found one, lol.

What brand is it. I have seen some pistols with colored grips but never saw a colored plastic frame. Or is this one even real ><

 

I believe that one is a Tanfoglio which is an Italian gun manufacturer. There aren't many imported to the US but for the determined gun collector it is not impossible to find one. But you can get almost any pistol you want in pink. You just usually have to special order it because most gun dealers cater to a clientele that isn't going to buy a pink gun, especially if you are looking for a larger caliber. You can order one online from thegunsource, budsgunshop, gunbroker, or impactguns and they will ship it to your local dealer, or you can just ask your local dealer to get one.   

http://www.thegunsource.com/category/2580_Pink_Pistols.aspx?w=%2BCJWDALnoPg%3D

 

 

It was morality that burned the books of the ancient sages, and morality that halted the free inquiry of the Golden Age and substituted for it the credulous imbecility of the Age of Faith. It was a fixed moral code and a fixed theology which robbed the human race of a thousand years by wasting them upon alchemy, heretic-burning, witchcraft and sacerdotalism.-H.L. Mencken


Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
Posts: 4214
Joined: 2008-11-11
User is offlineOffline
Ktulu wrote:Beyond Saving

Ktulu wrote:

Beyond Saving wrote:

 

 

I prefer this kind of pink pistol. 

It took me a while to see the pistol in the picture lol.

 

 

 

Indeed.

 

Even so, there is a point here that the anti crowd always misses. The more legal guns there are in an area, the less gun violence there is. Sure, it is possible to get shot in Brattleboro VT but it has been a very long time sine that has happened. Of course, since the antis have been so successful in controlling guns in places like Detroit, LA and DC, the you are very unlikely to get shot there, unless you go into one of those parts of those cities where no laws are enforced, ever.

 

 

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=


ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
Posts: 3562
Joined: 2007-12-02
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:    

Beyond Saving wrote:

 

    I believe that one is a Tanfoglio which is an Italian gun manufacturer. There aren't many imported to the US but for the determined gun collector it is not impossible to find one. But you can get almost any pistol you want in pink. You just usually have to special order it because most gun dealers cater to a clientele that isn't going to buy a pink gun, especially if you are looking for a larger caliber. You can order one online from thegunsource, budsgunshop, gunbroker, or impactguns and they will ship it to your local dealer, or you can just ask your local dealer to get one.   

http://www.thegunsource.com/category/2580_Pink_Pistols.aspx?w=%2BCJWDALnoPg%3D

 

 

 

  I'm familiar with Tanfoglio in general.  They based many of their semiauto handguns upon the Czech CZ 75.

 

                                                                  

I'm a right wing atheist because I enjoy being hated by everyone.


Beyond Saving
Silver Member
Beyond Saving's picture
Posts: 4284
Joined: 2007-10-12
User is offlineOffline
 Ah yes, the classic Hello

 Ah yes, the classic Hello Kitty AR-15,

 

Babes with guns are hot even when the gun isn't pink.

 

It was morality that burned the books of the ancient sages, and morality that halted the free inquiry of the Golden Age and substituted for it the credulous imbecility of the Age of Faith. It was a fixed moral code and a fixed theology which robbed the human race of a thousand years by wasting them upon alchemy, heretic-burning, witchcraft and sacerdotalism.-H.L. Mencken


robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
Posts: 2481
Joined: 2010-02-20
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish wrote:Beyond

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

Beyond Saving wrote:

 

    I believe that one is a Tanfoglio which is an Italian gun manufacturer. There aren't many imported to the US but for the determined gun collector it is not impossible to find one. But you can get almost any pistol you want in pink. You just usually have to special order it because most gun dealers cater to a clientele that isn't going to buy a pink gun, especially if you are looking for a larger caliber. You can order one online from thegunsource, budsgunshop, gunbroker, or impactguns and they will ship it to your local dealer, or you can just ask your local dealer to get one.   

http://www.thegunsource.com/category/2580_Pink_Pistols.aspx?w=%2BCJWDALnoPg%3D

 

 

 

  I'm familiar with Tanfoglio in general.  They based many of their semiauto handguns upon the Czech CZ 75.

 

                                                                  

I have a cz 52, I also have a tokarev tt being shipped in as I type. I like the old military stuff.

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin


ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
Posts: 3562
Joined: 2007-12-02
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote: Ah

Beyond Saving wrote:

 Ah yes, the classic Hello Kitty AR-15,

 

Babes with guns are hot even when the gun isn't pink.

 

     ( that's true )

I'm a right wing atheist because I enjoy being hated by everyone.


ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
Posts: 3562
Joined: 2007-12-02
User is offlineOffline
robj101 wrote:   I have a

robj101 wrote:

 

  I have a cz 52, I also have a tokarev tt being shipped in as I type. I like the old military stuff.

 

    I like Warsaw Pact weapons too.  I have three Ak's  (  one American, one Chinese, and one Romanian ).  I had a super high quality Bulgarian SLR 95 but I gave it to a close friend.  I also have a Russian SKS and a Yugoslavian M 59 / 66. 

  (  Oh, I used to have a really rare Hungarian AKMS bottom folder but I had to sell it. )

I'm a right wing atheist because I enjoy being hated by everyone.


robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
Posts: 2481
Joined: 2010-02-20
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

robj101 wrote:

 

  I have a cz 52, I also have a tokarev tt being shipped in as I type. I like the old military stuff.

 

    I like Warsaw Pact weapons too.  I have three Ak's  (  one American, one Chinese, and one Romanian ).  I had a super high quality Bulgarian SLR 95 but I gave it to a close friend.  I also have a Russian SKS and a Yugoslavian M 59 / 66. 

 

Cool, I should pick up an ak, I can probably afford one of the romanian models. I currently have a couple of 91/30's both teula, one I just finished up sportering (shortened barrel added muzzle brake and put a scout scope on it) The other one is much to nice to alter. I also have a nagant revolver, and a steyer m95 in pristine condition. (1918 last year they were produced). I have the cz 52 and a pa-63 (makarov clone)

I'll prolly have a teula sks shortly, the ammo is like 5$ a box. Cheap fun at the range.

The 91/30's really suprised me I am plinking the 220 yard flip target standing with open sights. Highly recommend one, they are like 99$ at big 5 and the ammo is relatively cheap though not quite as cheap as the 7.62x39 for sks, ak and ranch rifles.

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin


Recovering fund...
atheistSuperfan
Recovering fundamentalist's picture
Posts: 196
Joined: 2011-03-14
User is offlineOffline
I'm about to buy my first

I'm about to buy my first gun (a Remington 370 Super Magnum Express pump action shotgun) so I can go shoot some skeet at my local range.

Optimism is reality, pessimism is the fantasy that you know enough to be cynical


robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
Posts: 2481
Joined: 2010-02-20
User is offlineOffline
Recovering fundamentalist

Recovering fundamentalist wrote:

I'm about to buy my first gun (a Remington 370 Super Magnum Express pump action shotgun) so I can go shoot some skeet at my local range.

People do that at the range I use, prolly fun seems like it might be more costly though.

 

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin


robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
Posts: 2481
Joined: 2010-02-20
User is offlineOffline
This thread is fairly moot

This thread is fairly moot now btw, I discovered "duracoat". I might pick up another 91/30 and spray it pink and grey. Make some ppl at the range nervous for fun lol.

Actually now I'm thinking hard, I could possibly spray some rounds in pink too hah!

http://www.houtsenterprises.net/dur_shakenspray.html

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin


robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
Posts: 2481
Joined: 2010-02-20
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote: Ah

Beyond Saving wrote:

 Ah yes, the classic Hello Kitty AR-15,

 

Babes with guns are hot even when the gun isn't pink.

 

actiongirls . com lol

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin


ex-minister
atheistHigh Level ModeratorSilver Member
ex-minister's picture
Posts: 1708
Joined: 2010-01-29
User is offlineOffline
everything you could possibly need in one store

 

My cousin took this picture just recently. 

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/


robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
Posts: 2481
Joined: 2010-02-20
User is offlineOffline
Maine huh, is that town in

Maine huh, is that town in the south ..lol


Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
Posts: 2368
Joined: 2008-03-25
User is offlineOffline
ehyeah.

ex-minister wrote:

 

My cousin took this picture just recently. 

 

 

                   Another good reason for leaving Maine for Toronto.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?


robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
Posts: 2481
Joined: 2010-02-20
User is offlineOffline
http://www.youtube.com/watch?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zS551tgAzLg

Made this vid today, I suk at narrating.


EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
Posts: 3132
Joined: 2008-01-17
User is offlineOffline
Guns and vaginas, the two

Guns and vaginas, the two great sources of power in world. Combine the two - unstoppable.


ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
Posts: 3562
Joined: 2007-12-02
User is offlineOffline
robj101

robj101 wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zS551tgAzLg

Made this vid today, I suk at narrating.

   Interesting how the Nagant's cylinder moves forward to provide a tighter gas seal over the forcing cone.  Very unique feature.

I'm a right wing atheist because I enjoy being hated by everyone.


robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
Posts: 2481
Joined: 2010-02-20
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

robj101 wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zS551tgAzLg

Made this vid today, I suk at narrating.

   Interesting how the Nagant's cylinder moves forward to provide a tighter gas seal over the forcing cone.  Very unique feature.

Yea It's a neat gun, I like the shell extractor as well though I never actually had to use it, once the bullets are spent you can pretty much just release the locking lever tip it back and the casings fall out. 

From what I read up on it the gas seal adds an extra 200fps or so roughly.

edit: here is an interesting bit on the tokarev round btw. http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot29.htm

 

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin


ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
Posts: 3562
Joined: 2007-12-02
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish wrote:  

 

 

 

  Yes, the 30. caliber Tokarev penetrated.  I didn't see where they identified the bullet as being steel cored or not. ( ie, was it military ammo ? )  That makes all the difference in the world concerning penetration.  Superior penetration is why armor piercing ammo exists in the first place,  regardless of the caliber. 

 

 

. http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot29.htm

 

 

  Also the fact that they were surprised that the .357 magnum didn't penetrate when compared to the other handgun rounds doesn't surprise me.  Velocity alone cannot overcome the deficiencies of a relatively lightweight bullet.   Other than armor piercing cores, nothing provides the ability to penetrate ( ie, to keep moving ) than bullet weight.  

  An excellent video that validates this is a video called "Deadly Effects: What Bullets Do To Bodies"  It was made to dispell the rumors and exaggerations that the gun press likes to propagate like "knock down power".   Bullets don't knock people down from a physics standpoint.  The video proves that beyond a shadow of a doubt,  and the weapon that they chose to demonstrate that with was an FN FAL in .308 fired point blank at a guy wearing  body armor rated to withstand rifle fire.  When fired the bullet didn't knock the guy over much less move him backwards ( and he was deliberately standing with his weight on one leg in order to make himself less stable during bullet impact. )

  Sorry to ramble so much, it's just a topic that interests me and I rarely have the opportunity to discuss it with anyone.

 

 

I'm a right wing atheist because I enjoy being hated by everyone.


robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
Posts: 2481
Joined: 2010-02-20
User is offlineOffline
I doubt the tokarev round

I doubt the tokarev round they used is the same as the military surp I'm using, I understand the military czech 7.62x25 round intended for the cz are a hotter load and they are using a cz in the demo so that's likely what they are using. The old luger broomhandle was famous for it's penetration of which the tokarev 7.62x25 is probably modeled after though the russian tokarev round is even hotter than that old model. I remember a scene in indiana jones where he picks up a german luger (I think he was on top of a train or something?) and shoots 3 germans down in a row with one shot then looks at the gun with a stunned expression on his face for a moment.

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin


robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
Posts: 2481
Joined: 2010-02-20
User is offlineOffline
I have seen some ammo I

I have seen some ammo I thought might have a "knockdown" effect, I forget what it's called but I have seen some in a .45 cal. The tip is very nasty looking and on impact this thing spreads out to over an inch wide. If it didn't knock you down it would definitely equip you with a new orafice lol.

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin


robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
Posts: 2481
Joined: 2010-02-20
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish wrote:   

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

 

 

  Sorry to ramble so much, it's just a topic that interests me and I rarely have the opportunity to discuss it with anyone.

 

I don't mind discussing it at all, however my knowledge is very limited, I mostly just enjoy shooting. It's fun and challenging. Shooting a coke bottle dangling on a wire at 200 yards with open sights on a 1940 military rifle and actually hitting it is a blast.

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin


ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
Posts: 3562
Joined: 2007-12-02
User is offlineOffline
robj101 wrote:I have seen

robj101 wrote:

I have seen some ammo I thought might have a "knockdown" effect, I forget what it's called but I have seen some in a .45 cal. The tip is very nasty looking and on impact this thing spreads out to over an inch wide. If it didn't knock you down it would definitely equip you with a new orafice lol.

   I carry a .45 for self defense.  Like I said I am a proponent of bullet weight ( 230 gn FMJ ) in terms of self defense.  Extra weight enables a bullet ( or any object in motion ) to retain more of it's momentum after it makes contact with a solid medium such as a human body.    The reason that this desirable for self defense is that it enables the bullet to travel more deeply into a body, perhaps making the difference in whether the bullet reaches a vital organ.  Extra weight also increases the chances of penetration when shooting someone wearing a heavy winter coat, or penetrating bone, etc.

  Expanding bullets are okay for self defense if over penetration is a concern since the increased cross-sectional diameter of the "flattened" bullet causes it to slow down more quickly.  Correct bullet placement is still the  priority when "killing" is the objective; bullet choices regarding weight and caliber, expanding or FMJ, are secondary although still important.

  Anyway, these are just my opinions based upon what I've learned about wound ballistics.

I'm a right wing atheist because I enjoy being hated by everyone.


ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
Posts: 3562
Joined: 2007-12-02
User is offlineOffline
robj101 wrote:   I don't

robj101 wrote:

 

 

 


I don't mind discussing it at all, however my knowledge is very limited, I mostly just enjoy shooting. It's fun and challenging. Shooting a coke bottle dangling on a wire at 200 yards with open sights on a 1940 military rifle and actually hitting it is a blast.

   Gee, I miss my HK 91.  Great for long range plinking.

I'm a right wing atheist because I enjoy being hated by everyone.


robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
Posts: 2481
Joined: 2010-02-20
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

robj101 wrote:

I have seen some ammo I thought might have a "knockdown" effect, I forget what it's called but I have seen some in a .45 cal. The tip is very nasty looking and on impact this thing spreads out to over an inch wide. If it didn't knock you down it would definitely equip you with a new orafice lol.

   I carry a .45 for self defense.  Like I said I am a proponent of bullet weight ( 230 gn FMJ ) in terms of self defense.  Extra weight enables a bullet ( or any object in motion ) to retain more of it's momentum after it makes contact with a solid medium.    The reason that this desirable for self defense is that it enables the bullet to travel more deeply into a body, perhaps making the difference in whether the bullet reaches a vital organ.  Extra weight also increases the chances of penetration when shooting someone wearing a heavy winter coat, or penetrating bone, etc.

  Expanding bullets are okay for self defense if over penetration is a concern since the increased cross-sectional diameter of the "flattened" bullet causes it to slow down more quickly.  Correct bullet placement is still the  priority when "killing" is the objective; bullet choices regarding weight and caliber, expanding or FMJ, are secondary although still important.

  Anyway, these are just my opinions based upon what I've learned about wound ballistics.

I keep thinking I'm going to go get my ccl but I haven't yet, if I ever do and if I ever actually carry I'll prolly carry my feg pa-63. Relatively small lightweight aluminum frame gun and shoots makarov 9x18, a relatively inexpensive round. Being shot by a 9mm would more than likely make me stop whatever I was doing and I assume it would make most people stop and consider whatever they are doing too, heh. I'm the type that would almost carry a .32 for self defense, I just want them to stop whatever they are doing, I don't want anyone's death on my concience even if they were trying to kill me or a loved one. Just make them stop.

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin


robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
Posts: 2481
Joined: 2010-02-20
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

robj101 wrote:

 

 

 


 

I don't mind discussing it at all, however my knowledge is very limited, I mostly just enjoy shooting. It's fun and challenging. Shooting a coke bottle dangling on a wire at 200 yards with open sights on a 1940 military rifle and actually hitting it is a blast.

   Gee, I miss my HK 91.  Great for long range plinking.

I scoped a 91/30 and tried it this past weekend, I learned a lot at least. I put a standard scope on it and I actually need a pistol scope which is sometimes referred to as a "scout" scope or "long eye relief scope". It sits too far up the barrel to be using a regular scope. Was going to try some 400 yard shooting with it but I found out my aftermarket rail really blows and on top of that I blew my muzzle brake off lol, it was a tap on apparently I didn't tap it on well enough. Like I said at least I learned something from the experience.

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin


ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
Posts: 3562
Joined: 2007-12-02
User is offlineOffline
robj101 wrote: I keep

robj101 wrote:

 


I keep thinking I'm going to go get my ccl but I haven't yet, if I ever do and if I ever actually carry I'll prolly carry my feg pa-63. Relatively small lightweight aluminum frame gun and shoots makarov 9x18, a relatively inexpensive round. Being shot by a 9mm would more than likely make me stop whatever I was doing and I assume it would make most people stop and consider whatever they are doing too, heh. I'm the type that would almost carry a .32 for self defense, I just want them to stop whatever they are doing, I don't want anyone's death on my concience even if they were trying to kill me or a loved one. Just make them stop.

   Yeah, well I hope I never have to use any firearm to kill someone even if it was considered totally justifiable in the eyes of the law.  I was relying upon the CHL as a contingency plan.  Personally, when given the choice I maintain almost no human contact.  Kind of hard to get into trouble when you're alone.

I'm a right wing atheist because I enjoy being hated by everyone.


ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
Posts: 3562
Joined: 2007-12-02
User is offlineOffline
robj101 wrote:   I scoped

robj101 wrote:

 

  I scoped a 91/30 and tried it this past weekend, I learned a lot at least. I put a standard scope on it and I actually need a pistol scope which is sometimes referred to as a "scout" scope or "long eye relief scope". It sits too far up the barrel to be using a regular scope. Was going to try some 400 yard shooting with it but I found out my aftermarket rail really blows and on top of that I blew my muzzle brake off lol, it was a tap on apparently I didn't tap it on well enough. Like I said at least I learned something from the experience.

  Yeah, that's happened to me before.  Sometimes the only way you can evaluate something is to field test it.

I'm a right wing atheist because I enjoy being hated by everyone.


robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
Posts: 2481
Joined: 2010-02-20
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

robj101 wrote:

 

  I scoped a 91/30 and tried it this past weekend, I learned a lot at least. I put a standard scope on it and I actually need a pistol scope which is sometimes referred to as a "scout" scope or "long eye relief scope". It sits too far up the barrel to be using a regular scope. Was going to try some 400 yard shooting with it but I found out my aftermarket rail really blows and on top of that I blew my muzzle brake off lol, it was a tap on apparently I didn't tap it on well enough. Like I said at least I learned something from the experience.

  Yeah, that's happened to me before.  Sometimes the only way you can evaluate something is to field test it.

True in a lot of cases with guns, especially when you purchase used.

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13405
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Oh boy, Yet another thread

Oh boy,

Yet another thread where pointing out that life is a range and not black and white will get me falsely screamed at over mere paranoia.

You want a gun, own one.

But will someone other than saying "no limits, no rules" explain to me, other than liking guns, thinks there should never be any regulations on them?

If it is about protection and you have training and you obey the law, fine. But if it is merely about collecting and guns are merely another form of art, then just like art, shouldn't it be merely on display in a non functional way? And wouldn't it be ok to insist, that if you insist on shooting something outside self defense that a firing range would be a good compromise instead of simply "wherever the fuck I want"?

The ownership of guns, outside the extreme left, IS NOT the problem for most people. Certainly not me. It is the mass production and the easy access to them, not the fact people own them.

"Guns don't kill people, people kill people with guns". Is often the argument missing the point that they are still weapons designed to kill.

When I was in drivers ed they rightfully said that your car is a weapon. And it is, which is why we have regulations like speed limits and bans on drunk driving. Those regulations are not anti-car.

If you own an assault riffle, how can you claim it is for hunting, for example. If you are merely a collector then you should keep it in your house unloaded and locked up. If you insist on firing it go to a shooting range.

But also, no matter how rare, how would gun advocates suggest police take on something like Virgina Tec if students are armed? Instead of focusing on one person with a gun, they would now have to treat everyone as a potential threat because they don't know initially who the shooter is.

Whereas I would be for uniformed security guards and campus police which already exist.

And guns and alcohol don't mix. PERIOD. That is asking for disaster. Personal ownership in a house where someone has the maturity to keep their bottle and gun activity separate, is one thing. I know what I went through as a teen and in college and all the fights with mere fists that would happen, that is bad enough.

And statistically speaking, you are more likely to injure yourself or someone you know with a gun even if you want to claim, which does happen SOMETIMES, that it has been used to defend oneself. But STATISTICALLY the former is more likely to happen than the latter.

AGAIN, that last statement is not asking for a ban on guns. I am merely saying it is not all or nothing. Gun ownership BY ITSELF is not the issue.

HOW we deal with guns and the regulations we put on them IS NOT, nor should be an outright ban. But I don't like the no rules wild west attitude far to many have. It is just as absurd as the left saying "take them all away".

 

 

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13405
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
If you have a bottle of

If you have a bottle of booze in your house and a gun in your house, that combo WONT cause you to shoot someone. Teens and college students however, are a much more messy with their hormones and if they are to handle guns then there should be some sort of guidance and parental or staff oversight. I don't think it is wise to hand them a gun and then walk away, anymore than you should allow a person to have a drivers license before they can pass a test.

BUT, I would be for a law that if you are caught firing a gun while drinking, even if you are 50, that would be no different to me than drinking and driving.

You are certainly allowed to transport a 12 pack to your house, you simply cant drink it on the way there.

I cant tell you how much stupid shit I did with a mere bb gun even under my dad's supervision. I even fired a rifle in my basement as a teen, which was pretty fucking stupid.

So it is not black and white. I am not for banning all guns or banning gun ownership, but we damn sure need to solve gun violence while keeping ownership legal.

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
Posts: 2481
Joined: 2010-02-20
User is offlineOffline
None of my three employee's

None of my three employee's at work are allowed to own or be caught carrying a cartridge gun. The best they can have is a single shot muzzle loader (yea they can't even have a black powder revolver). All three are convicted felons, one was over dwi's ..and he can't have a gun. Seem's to me there is "some" regulation going on and it's fine to me. The only other way to regulate who can and can't own a gun would be to try to guess the serial killer or something and people would scream about profiling or some such. I think as far as gun laws and fairness we are doing the best we can.

If you have any legitimate idea's on how to make it better express them by all means.

edit: Drinking and shooting being punishable sounds reasonable enough, like a dwi but I would make it a bit harsher and take away their guns on the first offense say for at least a year, a second offense would lose their gun rights period. Sounds fine, got any more suggestions?

 

 

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin


robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
Posts: 2481
Joined: 2010-02-20
User is offlineOffline
Why people choose violence

Why people choose violence in the first place and fixing that, nipping the problem in the bud would be great, probably unrealistic but it would be nice.

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin


Beyond Saving
Silver Member
Beyond Saving's picture
Posts: 4284
Joined: 2007-10-12
User is offlineOffline
Recovering fundamentalist

Recovering fundamentalist wrote:

I'm about to buy my first gun (a Remington 370 Super Magnum Express pump action shotgun) so I can go shoot some skeet at my local range.

 

I used to have a 370 I used for bird hunting as a kid. It was a good gun and stood up to a lot of abuse. But when it comes to Remington my favorite is the 1100, what can I say, I'm too lazy to pump . But seriously, if you really get into skeet shooting or if you decide to take up hunting, the 1100 is a great second gun. It is extremely versatile and has very soft recoil allowing you to re-aim and fire a second round quickly. 

It was morality that burned the books of the ancient sages, and morality that halted the free inquiry of the Golden Age and substituted for it the credulous imbecility of the Age of Faith. It was a fixed moral code and a fixed theology which robbed the human race of a thousand years by wasting them upon alchemy, heretic-burning, witchcraft and sacerdotalism.-H.L. Mencken


Beyond Saving
Silver Member
Beyond Saving's picture
Posts: 4284
Joined: 2007-10-12
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

robj101 wrote:

I have seen some ammo I thought might have a "knockdown" effect, I forget what it's called but I have seen some in a .45 cal. The tip is very nasty looking and on impact this thing spreads out to over an inch wide. If it didn't knock you down it would definitely equip you with a new orafice lol.

   I carry a .45 for self defense.  Like I said I am a proponent of bullet weight ( 230 gn FMJ ) in terms of self defense.  Extra weight enables a bullet ( or any object in motion ) to retain more of it's momentum after it makes contact with a solid medium such as a human body.    The reason that this desirable for self defense is that it enables the bullet to travel more deeply into a body, perhaps making the difference in whether the bullet reaches a vital organ.  Extra weight also increases the chances of penetration when shooting someone wearing a heavy winter coat, or penetrating bone, etc.

  Expanding bullets are okay for self defense if over penetration is a concern since the increased cross-sectional diameter of the "flattened" bullet causes it to slow down more quickly.  Correct bullet placement is still the  priority when "killing" is the objective; bullet choices regarding weight and caliber, expanding or FMJ, are secondary although still important.

  Anyway, these are just my opinions based upon what I've learned about wound ballistics.

 

Mental note......don't fuck with prozac lol. I thought about a .45 but decided to carry a Sig Sauer P226 Elite .40 cal. With a .40 I am able to get tighter groupings and slightly quicker follow up shots. I'm not the kind of person to fire once when adrenaline is rushing. Few animals hit the ground with only one bullet hole and neither will a person if I am ever forced to shoot them. 

It was morality that burned the books of the ancient sages, and morality that halted the free inquiry of the Golden Age and substituted for it the credulous imbecility of the Age of Faith. It was a fixed moral code and a fixed theology which robbed the human race of a thousand years by wasting them upon alchemy, heretic-burning, witchcraft and sacerdotalism.-H.L. Mencken


Beyond Saving
Silver Member
Beyond Saving's picture
Posts: 4284
Joined: 2007-10-12
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Oh boy,Yet

Brian37 wrote:

Oh boy,

Yet another thread where pointing out that life is a range and not black and white will get me falsely screamed at over mere paranoia.

Damn you, I was enjoying a non-political, non-religious, non-argumentative thread....sigh.

 

Brian37 wrote:

You want a gun, own one.

Or a dozen

 

Brian37 wrote:

If it is about protection and you have training and you obey the law, fine. But if it is merely about collecting and guns are merely another form of art, then just like art, shouldn't it be merely on display in a non functional way? And wouldn't it be ok to insist, that if you insist on shooting something outside self defense that a firing range would be a good compromise instead of simply "wherever the fuck I want"?

I do have training, collecting pieces that don't work is a waste of time imo, and who said fire your gun wherever you want? I will fire it in my backyard, which I own and is set up as a firing range in a very safe manor (far safer than many public ranges). Who on here (or anywhere) has argued we should be allowed to randomly shoot in public?

 

Brian37 wrote:

The ownership of guns, outside the extreme left, IS NOT the problem for most people. Certainly not me. It is the mass production and the easy access to them, not the fact people own them.

Except all those people who supported the Brady Bill, the "assault weapons ban" etc?

 

Brian37 wrote:

If you own an assault riffle, how can you claim it is for hunting, for example. If you are merely a collector then you should keep it in your house unloaded and locked up. If you insist on firing it go to a shooting range.

Is hunting the only reason to own a gun? I think not. I believe I am the only one in this thread (forum?) who owns guns primarily for hunting. Shooting guns is fun, you should try it sometime.

 

Brian37 wrote:
 

But also, no matter how rare, how would gun advocates suggest police take on something like Virgina Tec if students are armed? Instead of focusing on one person with a gun, they would now have to treat everyone as a potential threat because they don't know initially who the shooter is.

Anyone with a carry permit is trained to drop their weapon and identify themselves as soon as police are on the scene. In reality, most gunfights last a matter of seconds- by the time the police arrive it is over one way or the other. In the VT case, it is likely that the shooter would have been neutralized long before police arrived. Then you simply have the problem of determining whether the shooter was justified. Even when you kill a person in legitimate self defense you have to be prepared for a long legal experience. It isn't something to be done lightly as it can easily cost you $7000+ to push your defense even in a clear case of self defense. That is a slight problem, but it is important that people can't easily get away with murder by claiming self defense. Personally, if I ever shoot a person, I will have full knowledge of how much it could cost and even that I could be found guilty of excessive force and make my decision accordingly. That is where I have to agree with Prozac that the bigger caliber is better- it is much easier to present your case if the person you shot can't present a different story. 

 

Brian37 wrote:

Whereas I would be for uniformed security guards and campus police which already exist.

And they will arrive 10 minutes after you are dead....well more like 20, have you seen how fat campus police are? 

 

Brian37 wrote:

And guns and alcohol don't mix. PERIOD. That is asking for disaster. Personal ownership in a house where someone has the maturity to keep their bottle and gun activity separate, is one thing. I know what I went through as a teen and in college and all the fights with mere fists that would happen, that is bad enough.

And it is illegal to carry while drinking anything- at least it is in Ohio and I would assume most if not all other states. I am not aware of anyone pushing a movement against such laws and I am active in several gun groups. Once again, you are making up phantom extremists.   

It was morality that burned the books of the ancient sages, and morality that halted the free inquiry of the Golden Age and substituted for it the credulous imbecility of the Age of Faith. It was a fixed moral code and a fixed theology which robbed the human race of a thousand years by wasting them upon alchemy, heretic-burning, witchcraft and sacerdotalism.-H.L. Mencken


ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
Posts: 3562
Joined: 2007-12-02
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving

Beyond Saving wrote:

Recovering fundamentalist wrote:

I'm about to buy my first gun (a Remington 370 Super Magnum Express pump action shotgun) so I can go shoot some skeet at my local range.

 

I used to have a 370 I used for bird hunting as a kid. It was a good gun and stood up to a lot of abuse. But when it comes to Remington my favorite is the 1100, what can I say, I'm too lazy to pump . But seriously, if you really get into skeet shooting or if you decide to take up hunting, the 1100 is a great second gun. It is extremely versatile and has very soft recoil allowing you to re-aim and fire a second round quickly. 

   Do you guys mean a Remington 870 ?    I'm not familiar with any models that are referred to as a 370 ( too lazy to Google it ).  I only have one 12 guage at the moment and it's a Remington 870 P ( P= Police ) the P denotes that the receiver is machined steel for long term durability.  It has rifle sights, not a bead. ( I'm thinking about putting an EOTec illuminated sight for faster target acquisition and just because I like it )  It has a Wilson Combat one round magazine extension and I just recently replaced the butts tock with a Knoxx Spec Ops pistol grip style butt stock. It's designed to absorb recoil.  Here's a pic.

                                                                 

 

  I've never owned a Remington 1100 or the later 1187 since I'm not a hunter ( I think Remington does offer the 1187 in a tactical version ) but I know that they're well made.  I've only had two semi auto 12 gauges in my life and both of them were designed as tactical shotguns.  The first was an Italian made Franchi LAW 12.    Gas operated and 8+1 capacity.  Awesome gun, a real beast as it was designed to function exclusively with magnum ammo.  Standard loads would fire but fail to eject.  It had a 20" barrel and when firing at an outdoor range near dusk a really cool pinkish flame would come from the muzzle.

  The other was also an Italian made shotgun called a Benelli M1 Super 90.  It was recoil operated and was 7+1 ammo capacity.  Lightweight alloy receiver and superb workmanship. 

 

  I've owned a couple of military style ( parkerized finish, 8+1 capacity ) Mossberg 590's.  They're good shotguns IMHO.   Funny thing, my girlfriend and I used to shoot trap alot and we became quite good at it but I was the only shooter out there whose trap gun had a heat shield and a bayonet lug.

I'm a right wing atheist because I enjoy being hated by everyone.


ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
Posts: 3562
Joined: 2007-12-02
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote: . I

Beyond Saving wrote:

 

. I thought about a .45 but decided to carry a Sig Sauer P226 Elite .40 cal. With a .40 I am able to get tighter groupings and slightly quicker follow up shots. I'm not the kind of person to fire once when adrenaline is rushing. Few animals hit the ground with only one bullet hole and neither will a person if I am ever forced to shoot them. 

  Sigs are great handguns.  My girl friend had her Smith & Wesson 645 stolen so she replaced it with a Sig P220 ( .45, single stack )  and she is extremely accurate during slow fire target style shooting.  She's a natural with this gun and her groups on paper ( 2 or 3 magazines ) look like a close range shotgun blast with almost no flyers. 

 

 My .45 is a Kimber with a 5" barrel,  super accurate.  It's what I qualify with actually.  The Kimber is a really high end gun for my budget so I really prefer to just use it as a range gun  in order to protect it from damage.    Consequently I  am intending to purchase a full sized Springfield XDM semi auto in .40 caliber as a carry gun.  It's less expensive than the Kimber, has a polymer frame and stainless slide, and the .40 caliber projectile is still sufficiently hefty to satisfy my requirements. 

I'm a right wing atheist because I enjoy being hated by everyone.


robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
Posts: 2481
Joined: 2010-02-20
User is offlineOffline
You want to go overboard on

You want to go overboard on self defense get a http://www.taurususa.com/video-theJudge.cfm


Beyond Saving
Silver Member
Beyond Saving's picture
Posts: 4284
Joined: 2007-10-12
User is offlineOffline
robj101 wrote:You want to go

robj101 wrote:

You want to go overboard on self defense get a http://www.taurususa.com/video-theJudge.cfm

I have a Taurus Raging Bull .454 that I use as a backup sidearm in serious bear country, it is a good basic gun. When loaded with a .454 casull that thing is a beast capable of taking down pretty much anything. And imo Taurus has always been good at making their guns look extra intimidating from the barrel end.

 

My concern with using a 410 round for personal protection would be a lack of lethality. However, if you alternated rounds 410/.45 I could see how the shotgun round could help slow a charging target or increase the odds of hitting your first shot if you have nerves, so that your second shot can neutralize the target. But then the Marine in me comes out and says one shot- one kill, then shoot them again for insurance.  Although, it looks like a nifty gun for snake protection....

It was morality that burned the books of the ancient sages, and morality that halted the free inquiry of the Golden Age and substituted for it the credulous imbecility of the Age of Faith. It was a fixed moral code and a fixed theology which robbed the human race of a thousand years by wasting them upon alchemy, heretic-burning, witchcraft and sacerdotalism.-H.L. Mencken


ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
Posts: 3562
Joined: 2007-12-02
User is offlineOffline
robj101 wrote:You want to go

robj101 wrote:

You want to go overboard on self defense get a http://www.taurususa.com/video-theJudge.cfm

     The shot spread when he fired at the paper target was pretty f**king awesome.    Almost like being in front of a Claymore when it goes off.

I may have to price one. 

I'm a right wing atheist because I enjoy being hated by everyone.


ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
Posts: 3562
Joined: 2007-12-02
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:robj101

Beyond Saving wrote:

robj101 wrote:

You want to go overboard on self defense get a http://www.taurususa.com/video-theJudge.cfm

 

 

My concern with using a 410 round for personal protection would be a lack of lethality. However, if you alternated rounds 410/.45 I could see how the shotgun round could help slow a charging target or increase the odds of hitting your first shot if you have nerves, so that your second shot can neutralize the target. But then the Marine in me comes out and says one shot- one kill, then shoot them again for insurance.  Although, it looks like a nifty gun for snake protection....

  I wonder if you can fire .410 slugs from the Judge ?  I assume that a single projectile of that mass would transfer some serious kinetic energy.   If not the alternate .45 Long Colt can be loaded up to 250 gr which is nothing to sneeze at, so to speak.

 

edit:  from what I've read about actual handgun shootings most  confrontations are engaged within twenty feet or so. That's really close.   If the first chamber was loaded with shot and fired at the attackers face in order to destroy his vision, ( no eyeballs )  then perhaps if he's still able to attack ( not likely ) then your .45 rounds could be brought to bear.   I'm just kind of brainstorming about the best use of thus gun. 

I'm a right wing atheist because I enjoy being hated by everyone.


Beyond Saving
Silver Member
Beyond Saving's picture
Posts: 4284
Joined: 2007-10-12
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish wrote:Beyond

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

Beyond Saving wrote:

Recovering fundamentalist wrote:

I'm about to buy my first gun (a Remington 370 Super Magnum Express pump action shotgun) so I can go shoot some skeet at my local range.

 

I used to have a 370 I used for bird hunting as a kid. It was a good gun and stood up to a lot of abuse. But when it comes to Remington my favorite is the 1100, what can I say, I'm too lazy to pump . But seriously, if you really get into skeet shooting or if you decide to take up hunting, the 1100 is a great second gun. It is extremely versatile and has very soft recoil allowing you to re-aim and fire a second round quickly. 

   Do you guys mean a Remington 870 ?    I'm not familiar with any models that are referred to as a 370 ( too lazy to Google it ).  I only have one 12 guage at the moment and it's a Remington 870 P ( P= Police ) the P denotes that the receiver is machined steel for long term durability.  It has rifle sights, not a bead. ( I'm thinking about putting an EOTec illuminated sight for faster target acquisition and just because I like it )  It has a Wilson Combat one round magazine extension and I just recently replaced the butts tock with a Knoxx Spec Ops pistol grip style butt stock. It's designed to absorb recoil.  Here's a pic.

                                                                 

 

  I've never owned a Remington 1100 or the later 1187 since I'm not a hunter ( I think Remington does offer the 1187 in a tactical version ) but I know that they're well made.  I've only had two semi auto 12 gauges in my life and both of them were designed as tactical shotguns.  The first was an Italian made Franchi LAW 12.    Gas operated and 8+1 capacity.  Awesome gun, a real beast as it was designed to function exclusively with magnum ammo.  Standard loads would fire but fail to eject.  It had a 20" barrel and when firing at an outdoor range near dusk a really cool pinkish flame would come from the muzzle.

  The other was also an Italian made shotgun called a Benelli M1 Super 90.  It was recoil operated and was 7+1 ammo capacity.  Lightweight alloy receiver and superb workmanship. 

 

Yeah, I think you are right it is the 870. I have two barrels for my 1100, one that is rifled with sights that I use mostly for deer hunting. I can shoot it spot on out to about 100 meters, so around here that is pretty much if you can see the deer it is in range. The other is a smooth bore that I use for bird hunting with a bead. I have tested the 1187 and it is a solid gun but just doesn't feel right to me, its center of gravity is slightly more forward than the 1100. I could probably adjust quickly enough, but I have quite an emotional attachment to my 1100. The 1187 has the advantage of being able to use 3" rounds (which I think is the only real difference) but I don't really have need for those.  

 

The EOTec sights are sweet, I don't own any but have used them from time to time and have really liked them.  

 

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

  I've owned a couple of military style ( parkerized finish, 8+1 capacity ) Mossberg 590's.  They're good shotguns IMHO.   Funny thing, my girlfriend and I used to shoot trap alot and we became quite good at it but I was the only shooter out there whose trap gun had a heat shield and a bayonet lug.

 

 Next time attach the bayonet "just in case", never know when those clay pigeons are going to charge you... they are almost as dangerous as squirrels. 

It was morality that burned the books of the ancient sages, and morality that halted the free inquiry of the Golden Age and substituted for it the credulous imbecility of the Age of Faith. It was a fixed moral code and a fixed theology which robbed the human race of a thousand years by wasting them upon alchemy, heretic-burning, witchcraft and sacerdotalism.-H.L. Mencken