Experiencing technical difficulties

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Experiencing technical difficulties

So my PS3 bit the dust with the YLOD.

I have an external 2.5 SATA drive enclouser to put my PS3 HDD in, so I can at least back up my saves, but when I connect it to my laptop, it doesn't show up so that I can move the files onto a flash drive and put it on my new PS3 when I get one.

How can I get it to read the external drive? I installed the CD that came with the enclousor.

wingless_sephiroth
atheist
wingless_sephiroth's picture
User is offlineOffline
 What operating system are

What operating system are you running? And are you doing a USB-to-SATA setup with that enclosure?

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yah, the exact instructions

Yah, the exact instructions will depend on the operating system.  However, if your OS is not recognizing the drive, it is almost certainly unmounted.  That is what you look for first.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I'm using an usb connector,

I'm using an usb connector, and I have Windows 7

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Fuck it, I'll just swap out

Fuck it, I'll just swap out the HDD, put the data on a flash, then re-swap.

EDIT

Apparently that doesn't work.

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:Fuck it,

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Fuck it, I'll just swap out the HDD, put the data on a flash, then re-swap.

EDIT

Apparently that doesn't work.

Hi Cpt.

I've always gone here when I had any sort of computer trouble... excelent, expert advice.

'Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.' A. Einstein

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Never mind, I just got

Never mind, I just got responses from GameFAQs saying that I'm SOL considering the encryption on the HDD.

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Encryption doesn't enter

Encryption doesn't enter into this. If windows does not see the drive, then that is a very different issue. First windows would need to see the drive then you could move the files around,

even if they are encrypted.

How do you think people on the internet trade the save files around? Mainly because whatever encryption may be there, it is irrelevant if you are only emailing them or posting them on a web site. Once they get back into a proper console, you should be good to go. As long as you are just moving files around, windows really doesn't care what they are.

Now, past that, we can try to get the drive mounted for you or you can try to fix the machine. Either way is fine by me.

From what I gather, the most common reason to get the ylod is because the machine has overheated. To fix this, you need a couple of cans of compressed air, a bottle of alcohol, some lint free paper towels and a tube of a good brand of thermal coupound. Basically, what you do is clean the insides of the machine and then remount the heat sink and fans. Put it back together and it will probably be good to go. Well, at least long enough to get your save games off of it the normal way.

Let me know if you want to try either of those options.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=