A website that will force Muslims to question their Islam, one question at a time

wingless_sephiroth
atheist
wingless_sephiroth's picture
User is offlineOffline
A website that will force Muslims to question their Islam, one question at a time

So, as an ex-Muslim, today I had an idea. I want to create a simple question-and-answer website that will open up Muslim minds, and force them to question their preconceived notions. Let's call it islamisnottrue.com or something like that. Here is how the questions should go:

ARE YOU SUNNI OR SHI'A?
This is a question just to irk them, because many Muslims hate to recall the distinction. If they select "IT DOES NOT MATTER", we will tease them further by asking them if they pray on a stone or not, and then say, "LOOKS LIKE YOU'RE SUNNI," if they say no. However, this won't matter till the end.

(THE QUR'AN, ISLAM'S GREATEST PROOF) THE QUR'AN CLAIMS IT IS FROM GOD BECAUSE IT IS INIMITABLE
The first ten questions will mix one real verse of the Qur'an, in Arabic and with its English translation, with three fake verses. In order to be fair, the fake verses should range form simple modifications of real verses, to verses that are completely different (but still in line with the Qur'an's theology). At the end of the section, it will count how many they missed, and question how they could not separate the word of God from the word of man, if the Qur'an is inimitable.

(ALLAH, THE FIRST PART OF THE KALIMAH) DOES GOD EVEN EXIST?
This question-and-answer portion should go through the basic preconceptions theists have, regarding the existence of God. For example, it should begin with four common reasons used to justify the existence of God, and they should be able to check each one they feel applies. Then, it will go on to refute each one. For example, if you state that the universe needs a creator because it cannot come from anything, it will respond that just as one states God comes from nothing, a reality (with possibly multiple universes) can also come from nothing.

(MUHAMMAD, THE SECOND PART OF THE KALIMAH) IS MUHAMMAD THE BEST EXAMPLE, AND SOMEHOW A HUJJAT/PROOF OF GOD?
We should take modern situations, and ask the individual what they should do. For example, in a time of war, where a group of people betray them, what would they do? How about show mercy and release all of them? Or would they kill all the males above puberty and put the rest into slavery and concubinage? Then, it'll compare those answers with what Muhammad actually did.

SUNNI/SHI'A QUESTIONS
This part can be more specific. For example, do you follow an ayatollah? Do you think following an ayatollah is necessary? If so, did you know ayatollahs have only existed in the last 300 years, and for hundreds and hundreds of years Shi'a had no ayatollahs? Similarly, we can point to Sunni issues of authority as well.

I think this will work. This attacks the three pillars of Islamic proof; the miracle of the Qur'an, the existence of Allah, and the example of Muhammad. And then, just to add salt into an already gaping wound, it'll show just how both the Sunni and Shi'a groups have been constructed by humans, and are hardly reminiscent of earlier Islam.

So, who wants to help? I am a programmer and designer, so I can do that part. The hardest issue I'll have is creating the false verses in Arabic and their translations, since my Arabic isn't that up to snuff, but I'm sure I can find some people good at that. I'll also want to throw around more ideas for questions; I have many, but I need more insight into things I should take away and add.

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
 I would be willing to

I would be willing to help.  What platform do you plan to build the site on?  Or any platform at all?  

Please create a list of bullet points that you need help from other activists and then I'll post this page in a few places that will get attention from folks that would want to help.

Good idea, and I hope you can make it work.

wingless_sephiroth
atheist
User is offlineOffline
 I will build a simple

Thank you so much for your support!

I will build a simple question-and-answer platform myself. I will also save statistics so they can be used for insights into improving our apologetic methods. You might need to speak to me in private as to how we should handle those statistics; I would prefer if they were not made public.

HERE IS WHAT IS CURRENTLY UNASSIGNED:

- The Qur'an script, with fake Arabic verses that resemble Qur'anic verses. I am currently asking some ex-Muslim Arab speakers to help me with this one, but, I have not found anyone concrete yet.

- The atheist script, the question-and-answer tree that will allow theists to pick arguments they feel justify God, and rebuttals to those answers. Since this is a much more open-ended section, I need individuals to help decide pacing, wording to rebuttals, and proper language usage that theists will recognize as their own.

- The Sunni script (I may consider doing this, but I know there are ex-Sunnis who know much more about Sunni Islam than I)

- General suggestions about design and construction. For example, should the questions be ordered in a different way than I've imagined? Do we need more scripts? How many questions per section? What should the domain name be, what will attract Muslims and not scare them off? I will give more weight to the opinions of ex-Muslims.

HERE IS CURRENTLY WHAT I AM DOING:

- Programming the question-and-answer engine, with a statistics system.

- The website design

- Providing hosting and a domain

- The Muhammad script (this will only include events agreed upon by both Sunni and Shi'a)

- The Shi'a script

If this is successful, I would like to attempt this model on other religious systems, most notably Christianity.

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
I will try to attract people

I will try to attract people to this thread in hopes that you get some folks to assist you.  I had to move this to the irrationalities forum as anonymous users can't see the rational activism forum.

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the forum.

Welcome to the forum.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
wingless_sephiroth wrote:

So, as an ex-Muslim, today I had an idea. I want to create a simple question-and-answer website that will open up Muslim minds, and force them to question their preconceived notions. Let's call it islamisnottrue.com or something like that.

Awesome idea.

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris

ex-minister
atheistHigh Level Moderator
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brilliant. I look forward

Brilliant.
I look forward to your progress and what I will learn about Islam.

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/

wingless_sephiroth
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Thanks for your support thus

Thanks for your support thus far! I just want to update you that the ex-Muslim communities I have spoken with thus far have expressed interest in translating the quiz into their respective languages, such as Urdu. However, I am going to keep this as a secondary goal for now, but when the time comes, we should attempt translation into not only languages such as Urdu, Persian, and Arabic, but European languages which may have many Muslim speakers, such as French and German.

lalib
atheist
lalib's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hello!

Hello! Ex-Sunni-Muslim-Fluent-Arabic-speaker here! Eye-wink

I would definitely love to help see this project come to fruition. Too often I hear Muslims claiming that the Quran is miraculous and awesome(tm) when they don't know the slightest thing about it!

I can help come up with some fake Quran verses, it's not that hard. Eye-wink

I can also help with the Sunni theology/hadith/What Would Muhammad Do? bit. I don't know much about Shia, but for Sunnis, always always cite your sources and stick with the Four Authentic Hadith(tm).

If you can expose them to what their sacred texts actually say, well I hope they learn to question it. But, beware of one thing (though you probably already know this), they will try to kill you if you get on their radar. Stay anonymous!  

It seems some folks are already bringing this information to light in a conscise fashion. 

http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/Pages/WWMD.htm (and yes, this is all true, but most Muslims aren't aware of these things)

also check out http://suralikeit.com/ for some complete fake suras! 

wingless_sephiroth
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Oh man, you just totally

Oh man, you just totally gave me so much more confidence in this project! You're the missing piece I was looking for, and your second link is perfect. Do you have an MSN or AIM? If so, please message me it.

Yeah, for this project, I will eventually need to delete these topics and I will host it on an anonymous server that can't easily be traced to me, nor have its security compromised. I am going to ask for some help from Ali Sina and those folks because they've been doing this stuff anonymously for years.

wingless_sephiroth
atheist
User is offlineOffline
 I'd like to throw this

I'd like to throw this question out?

What if we do less questions, and make this a five minute YouTube video? It'll be easier to spread, and people will be more likely to watch it. It'll be the same-question answer thing, but at a quicker and more condensed pace. It could be called "Disproving Islam in Five Minutes."

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
wingless_sephiroth

I'd like to throw this question out?

What if we do less questions, and make this a five minute YouTube video? It'll be easier to spread, and people will be more likely to watch it. It'll be the same-question answer thing, but at a quicker and more condensed pace. It could be called "Disproving Islam in Five Minutes."

Let me know if you need anything, I'm pretty handy with computer 'art' and media stuff.  I'm open to the idea and willing to help.

"Don't seek these laws to understand. Only the mad can comprehend..." -- George Cosbuc

lalib
atheist
lalib's picture
User is offlineOffline
If you are going to make a

If you are going to make a youtube video, keep the production quality high but keep the length at 1 minute or less. Most people have really bad attention spans and if you can keep it colorful and short; hopefully they will stay to watch the whole thing

Focus on 5 issues or less, I'd say 3 issues: Slavery, Killing, Not Divine.

Show from Hadith/Quran the Muslims are allowed to have Sex Slaves (as did Muhammad).

Show that Muhammad assassinated people and killed the men of entire tribes.

Show that Muhammad did not have a divine source for his knowledge: He advocated drinking camel urine as a cure for disease.

The point isn't to demonstrate nuanced reasons for why Islam is wrong or elaborate or complex arguments. Simply show that the basic morals of Islam conflict with the morals of people (even most Muslims, ie that slavery is wrong as is drinking piss to heal yourself) and you will create the doubt that Islam is as awesome as it says it is.  

Make it brief, make it short, make it uncontroversial (in the sense that yes, this is irrefutably what Muhammad said based on the most trusted sources used by Muslims). Then, ask prominent atheist youtubers to favorite your video. That way it will show up on the home page of the thousands of subscribers to these youtubers. Ask people at the end of the video to share it via Facebook/Twitter. It shouldn't be that hard to get one million people to see it. Eye-wink

If you want to contact me, use rational.lalib via gmail. It's just an address I made for this. Anonymity and all that. Eye-wink

wingless_sephiroth
atheist
User is offlineOffline
lalib wrote:If you are going

lalib wrote:

If you are going to make a youtube video, keep the production quality high but keep the length at 1 minute or less. Most people have really bad attention spans and if you can keep it colorful and short; hopefully they will stay to watch the whole thing

Focus on 5 issues or less, I'd say 3 issues: Slavery, Killing, Not Divine.

Show from Hadith/Quran the Muslims are allowed to have Sex Slaves (as did Muhammad).

Show that Muhammad assassinated people and killed the men of entire tribes.

Show that Muhammad did not have a divine source for his knowledge: He advocated drinking camel urine as a cure for disease.

The point isn't to demonstrate nuanced reasons for why Islam is wrong or elaborate or complex arguments. Simply show that the basic morals of Islam conflict with the morals of people (even most Muslims, ie that slavery is wrong as is drinking piss to heal yourself) and you will create the doubt that Islam is as awesome as it says it is.  

Make it brief, make it short, make it uncontroversial (in the sense that yes, this is irrefutably what Muhammad said based on the most trusted sources used by Muslims). Then, ask prominent atheist youtubers to favorite your video. That way it will show up on the home page of the thousands of subscribers to these youtubers. Ask people at the end of the video to share it via Facebook/Twitter. It shouldn't be that hard to get one million people to see it. Eye-wink

If you want to contact me, use rational.lalib via gmail. It's just an address I made for this. Anonymity and all that. Eye-wink

The thing is, there are plenty of videos and websites that throw around those facts. Many Muslims see them, and have internalized responses to them already. For example, I have seen articles on why camel pee might be beneficial, how those assassinations and the Banu Qurayza might have no have happened and might have been a Jewish conspiracy myth, and how those sex slaves might not have even been slaves.

I am trying to make a few new methods of getting in, such as fake Qur'anic verses. I've seen responses to those, but they're not quite good. Tie that along with irrefutable atheist arguments, and reiterating the older arguments in such a way that the kneejerk response isn't effective is my goal

Yes, it'll have to be a slightly long video. But, I think people will be willing to sit down and watch it if they'll think they can refute the points, or at least to get angry.

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
wingless_sephiroth

Yes, it'll have to be a slightly long video. But, I think people will be willing to sit down and watch it if they'll think they can refute the points, or at least to get angry.

Lol

That has to be a cultural thing, "Hey, wanna come over to my place, sit down and watch some shit to get angry?"

"Don't seek these laws to understand. Only the mad can comprehend..." -- George Cosbuc

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Good idea!!!!!!!!!!

Ktulu wrote:

Lol

That has to be a cultural thing, "Hey, wanna come over to my place, sit down and watch some shit to get angry?"

Where exactly does wingless_sephiroth live,  near to us?

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Jeffrick wrote:Ktulu

Jeffrick wrote:

Ktulu wrote:

Lol

Where exactly does wingless_sephiroth live,  near to us?

I think he's down south in Florida or there about, I could be wrong but I remember reading that, not Canadian. 

wingless_sephiroth
atheist
User is offlineOffline
California, born and raised

California, born and raised bitches!