Popcorn thread for TGBaker's one on one

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Popcorn thread for TGBaker's one on one

Out of respect for TGBaker's  wishes myself and others should stay out of that thread.  Any comments on it could be made here.  

I hope that Mr M doesn't disappoint by thumping a bible anywhere in the discussion.

"Don't seek these laws to understand. Only the mad can comprehend..." -- George Cosbuc

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:The basic

BobSpence1 wrote:

The basic problem with the Modal OA, is that it is impossible to determine whether it is sound or not, since to know whether God is 'possibly necessary' would require complete knowledge of the nature of God and the workings of the Universe, due to the definition of 'God' as all-encompassing, affecting and involving every aspect of reality. IOW, IF God is possibly necessary, THEN he exists. But we cannot determine if He is 'possibly necessary'.

Since we do have alternative frameworks for explaining existence, which while not perfect, are more consistent with established theorise and observations, 'we have no need of that hypothesis'.

The older OA has essentially the same problem, it makes assertions which are simply not knowable by us, but it is easier to identify the problem in the Modal formulation because it is more formally defined.

I agree. The fact that this world in ML is one of all possible worlds gives us grounds on which to test a premise empirically.  That is why I've thrown my theodicy argument out on several threads.  None respond or go that avenue because it puts them 1) back in our camp in the debate and 2)a classical god as non-existent in this world and so not necessary.  iF HE DOES NOT NECESSARILY EXIST THEN IT IS NOT POSSIBLE that HE exits.  It is as simple as you have quoted (LaPlace?) we have no need for that proposition ( MY PARAPHRASE). This applies only to the "omni-type" god. I am sympathetic with your statement as to it applying to other gods  ( less perfect)"  would require complete knowledge of the nature of God." 

In the above I think is the beginnings of a good proof for theism's non-existence based empirically and logically.  This stuff was never my forte or main interest but I think the conclusion sound. My field of expertice is the New Testamnet and then Historical Jesus.

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whip cream."--Frank Zappa

http://atheisticgod.blogspot.com/ Books on atheism

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
Mr_Metaphysics wrote:redneF

Mr_Metaphysics wrote:

redneF wrote:

Your arguments are circular. We demonstrated that, and you simply refuse to understand, or acknowledge that.

Who is "we"?  

Myself, BobSpence1, TG, and at least half a dozen other posters.

STFU, you know exactly who the 'we' is that I'm referring to.

Mr_Metaphysics wrote:

redneF wrote:

Your arguments are embarrassingly easy to shut down with 2 simple questions:

1- According to who?

2- According to what?

See?  This is your first mistake. 

No.

That's where you clowns get turned on your heads when you start making naked assertions.

Mr_Metaphysics wrote:
You have no conception of the notion of axiomatic truths

No.

I understand what axiomatic truths are. I just don't accept your equivocations as axioms.

Mr_Metaphysics wrote:
 ...which are self-evident truisms that ground the very possibility of reasoning in which case such questions make no sense. 

You people equivocate. That's the problem. You're sophists.

Saying "The universe began to exist" is a rhetorical tautology. It is not an impartial assessment in deductive reasoning. And certainly not in your usage because you are already biased towards a 'specific' conclusion. This is known as 'Confirmation Bias'.

The next statement followed by your first is usually "Whatever begins to exist, has a cause'. This is another 'Confirmation Bias'. Stating 'a cause'.

No different than stating the universe was 'made', which insinuates a 'maker' of that which is 'made'.

This is atrocious syntax, and completely violates being 'impartial'. You are 'leading' to looking for 'a' (singular) cause, when events that occur are 'systems', and are the 'result' of 'circumstances'.

An example of an impartial assessment is "Diamonds form".

Occam's Razor

I used 1 word to elaborate what I wanted to convey about diamonds 'being the result of a unknown set of circumstances'.

Saying that diamonds 'begin to exist', is being 'poetic'. Not 'analytical'. Saying they were 'caused' is also dissonant, if you are being analytical.

"Diamond formation is the result of blah, blah, blah...." is an analytical narrative.

Mr_Metaphysics wrote:
If I tell you that a dog is not a cat, there is no need for me to invoke any sort of authority--in this case, an authoritative "who" or "what" is not meaningful.

STFU.

Your 'arguments' for God creating the universe is the equivalent of a 'stork' bringing babies into the world.

Mr_Metaphysics wrote:

redneF wrote:

Your ad nauseum "According to logic", is the most intellectually bankrupt attempt at posturing, and euphemism for 'agreeing with yourself'.

No, it's a tacit acknowledgement that epistemic confidence in certain notions are not based on a posteriori justification, which is obviously what you are looking for.  A metaphysical argument, in most instances, does not trade upon appeals to authority, because certain premises are self-verifying. 

Argumentum verbosium.

What a BS word salad to assert that some things are just 'self evident', such as the universe must have had a 'cause', since it is 'exists', and everything that 'exists' has a 'cause', except the 1 thing that doesn't have a 'cause', which 'must' be the 'cause' of all things that 'exist', otherwise they wouldn't 'exist', if they were not 'caused' to 'exist', by a 'cause', which we will now call a 'creator'.

That's essentially what you fucking con artists are trying to 'spin' into something more 'robust' sounding.

It's a fucking circular argument, based on ignorance and incredulity.

A bunch of ignorant navel gazers trying to deconstruct the formation of the entire universe and the formation of biological life, with the same 'philosophies' that has embarassed itself for it's ignorant a priori assumptions, for centuries.

Mr_Metaphysics wrote:

redneF wrote:

Logic is based on hindsight.

Every single one of these ancient philosophers based their ideas and theories on drawing parallels based on hindsight, and arguments from incredulity and ignorance.

LOLOL

You said in our debate that you had no idea about the philosophical arguments for the existence of God until recently. 

So what?

I don't know the bore and stroke, or firing order of a 351 Cleveland either, but, I can know if someone who owns one has only enough understanding to qualify as ignorant on the topic of internal combustion engines.

Mr_Metaphysics wrote:
...you can tell me what bases ancient philosopher's had for such and such? 

They clearly state their 'bases' in their 'arguments'.

And their 'basis' for their 'arguments' are logical fallacies and assumptions.

None of them ever saw how this (or any other) universe was formed, or how biological life (on this planet, or any other) formed. 

Mr_Metaphysics wrote:
What can you tell me about contemporary philosophers?

They were a bunch of ignorant, arrogant, self professed 'academics' who started, and perpetuated a lot of false assumptions that kept people in the dark about 'reality'.

Till science came along, and illustrated that it's not practical to build a string of assumptions, and think that our odds of making successful predictions is not likely to go down as a result.

You can refuse to admit that you simply 'don't know' how the universe was formed, or how biological life formed. But the fact is 'you don't'.

And no amount of your infantile posturing is going to make you appear any brighter.

You want to convince anyone that you're not biased?

You've failed before you even got started, if you want to imagine that gods exist in the first place.

Your first error is that you assume ONE god.

Where did the 'notion' ever possibly come from that there could one be 1 god? Are you going to try and tell me that 1 god existing is a 'self evident' logical deduction?

Can you tell me why there couldn't be 'many' gods?

I'd love to hear the 'logic' behind that.

Why don't you email William Lane Craig on that one, and get back to us atheists who are 'idiots' on the topic of 'gods'...

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline
redneF wrote:TG, I noticed

redneF wrote:

TG, I noticed that William Dembski's name has come up, and that you may not be up to speed on this guy.

Michael Behe, and John Calvert are other names that will probably come up, as well.

There's plenty of stuff on YouTube about these ID clowns, and some of their antics that'll explain a lot about the *cough* 'goodness', of these Christians...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPMwDRsfCW8&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93mWjngq4oA&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpeHrkbx9LU&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z55oWS5vaUM&feature=relmfu

These guys were all involved in the Kitzmiller vs Dover trial.

Google for lectures by Eugenie Scott, and the National Center for Science Education, and their legal defense of science in schools, and the debunking of the ID Creationist scam. She's brilliant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PE3Qvfm8jU0

Thanks Bro. I was not aware of those names so I did do a wiki after the discussion was ended and it was telling. It was the last post in the one on one. Dembski actually bases his work on a Tipler fellow who has discovered a resurrection mechansm in  quantum mechanics.  All intellegent design propoganda.

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whip cream."--Frank Zappa

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I just caught up on this

I just caught up on this thread and wow... lol.  This guy has some nerve, you have to at least admire that.  His argument has been taken apart and shown to be failing on pretty much every level.  Firstly he claims that Metaphysics (via idealism) is on par with Empiricism in arriving at knowledge.  From here he begs the question with his version of the OA.  Mixes in some ML which Bob has addressed quite eloquently IMHO.

Firstly, in order for anyone to be able to form any Metaphysical constructs such as our Beautiful OA, one must first empirically learn how to communicate in one's language.  As a baby, you SEE things, TOUCH things, TASTE things, HEAR words, and SMELL your own diaper at which point you tell your mom you went poo.  Point is, you arrive at all this fundamental knowledge via empiricism.  Now you have some sort of internal narrative that fuels your imagination, and you come up with different ways to arrange those empirically gained concepts to form some sort of idealistic constructs, and arrive at new knowledge.  But without Empiricism you would have no fucking clue what's going on.  Robbed of your senses it would be a very boring life for you, and if you have any illusion about arriving at complex concepts by pure reason, without experience.... well you're delusional.  

As for my previous objection to your lame semantics game, you have yet to address it.  The same with Bob's objections and TG's paradox examples where Metaphysical predictions fail reality.  

cj, you handled this thread as a lady, my hat is off to you Smiling big thumbs up to your show of class. 

Mr. M.  you are showing an interesting mix of intelligence and idiocy, but you also show an immature personality that's FAR outclassed in this forum.  

"Don't seek these laws to understand. Only the mad can comprehend..." -- George Cosbuc

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ktulu wrote:I just caught up

Ktulu wrote:

I just caught up on this thread and wow... lol.  This guy has some nerve, you have to at least admire that.  His argument has been taken apart and shown to be failing on pretty much every level.  Firstly he claims that Metaphysics (via idealism) is on par with Empiricism in arriving at knowledge.  From here he begs the question with his version of the OA.  Mixes in some ML which Bob has addressed quite eloquently IMHO.

Firstly, in order for anyone to be able to form any Metaphysical constructs such as our Beautiful OA, one must first empirically learn how to communicate in one's language.  As a baby, you SEE things, TOUCH things, TASTE things, HEAR words, and SMELL your own diaper at which point you tell your mom you went poo.  Point is, you arrive at all this fundamental knowledge via empiricism.  Now you have some sort of internal narrative that fuels your imagination, and you come up with different ways to arrange those empirically gained concepts to form some sort of idealistic constructs, and arrive at new knowledge.  But without Empiricism you would have no fucking clue what's going on.  Robbed of your senses it would be a very boring life for you, and if you have any illusion about arriving at complex concepts by pure reason, without experience.... well you're delusional.  

As for my previous objection to your lame semantics game, you have yet to address it.  The same with Bob's objections and TG's paradox examples where Metaphysical predictions fail reality.  

cj, you handled this thread as a lady, my hat is off to you Smiling big thumbs up to your show of class. 

Mr. M.  you are showing an interesting mix of intelligence and idiocy, but you also show an immature personality that's FAR outclassed in this forum.  

Good commments Ktulu.  One could argue that even logic and idealism is derived from empiricism in that any ideas, thoughts, formulas, logic are experienced consciously then utilized. This is to say that much of what we think of logic is actually neural structures that correspond to sensed or previously experienced phenonmena. When you have a thought you experience it. Other reasoning only occurs unconsciously. But for the most part that reasoning is only utilized through conscious intent and is therefore emperical.  As such these things are all sbject to science contrary to ideaism or popular metaphysics.

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
TG,to reinforce and restate

TG,

to reinforce and restate your comments, while we do not have complete knowledge of this 'world', we have massive evidence that evil exists in it, and not just unavoidable evil, as a 'necessary' tradeoff against some greater evil. This means that even if they assume or 'prove' that some omnipotent being exists in this world, the evidence is pretty much all against that entity being both interested in and benevolently disposed toward us, is simply without a shred of justification. 

IOW, the insurmountable (IMHO) 'Problem of Evil'. It's been around a while, but has never been satisfactorily addressed by the believers.

They make the same logical leap in the Cosmological Argument - even if you concede the premises and conclusion, they both fail to establish anything which identifies the proposed being or 'cause' with God, as assumed or defined.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:TG,to

BobSpence1 wrote:

TG,

to reinforce and restate your comments, while we do not have complete knowledge of this 'world', we have massive evidence that evil exists in it, and not just unavoidable evil, as a 'necessary' tradeoff against some greater evil. This means that even if they assume or 'prove' that some omnipotent being exists in this world, the evidence is pretty much all against that entity being both interested in and benevolently disposed toward us, is simply without a shred of justification. 

IOW, the insurmountable (IMHO) 'Problem of Evil'. It's been around a while, but has never been satisfactorily addressed by the believers.

They make the same logical leap in the Cosmological Argument - even if you concede the premises and conclusion, they both fail to establish anything which identifies the proposed being or 'cause' with God, as assumed or defined.

Hey Bob, thanks for bringing that to my attention it is very strong point in and of itself. I agree with you that the problem of evil is sufficient empirical information to disprove the multiple-omni-god. The defense from theodicy by theism is just another strawman like the OA, TAG, or Cosmologigical argument for they build the rational form wiothout any real content.  They are for the most part vacuous with attributes philosophically derived rather than actual propertis emperically derived. I think we here at RRS should endeavor to tighten concisely or categorize some of our responses that theists would need address????? It seems we repeat ourselves from one theist to another.  The onus is really on a theist to define their type of theism sufficiently for us to respond. Take Fonzie or Cap for instance it seems like a pointless merry-go-round.

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
TGBaker wrote:Hey Bob,

TGBaker wrote:

Hey Bob, thanks for bringing that to my attention it is very strong point in and of itself. I agree with you that the problem of evil is sufficient empirical information to disprove the multiple-omni-god. The defense from theodicy by theism is just another strawman like the OA, TAG, or Cosmologigical argument for they build the rational form wiothout any real content.  They are for the most part vacuous with attributes philosophically derived rather than actual propertis emperically derived. I think we here at RRS should endeavor to tighten concisely or categorize some of our responses that theists would need address????? It seems we repeat ourselves from one theist to another.  The onus is really on a theist to define their type of theism sufficiently for us to respond. Take Fonzie or Cap for instance it seems like a pointless merry-go-round.

I think something like Iron Chariots but more point form, and less condescending towards theists.  Not that the tone is undeserved, it's just not going to encourage any theists to take it seriously.

We should pool all our arguments into a database, and organize them.  

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ktulu wrote:TGBaker

Ktulu wrote:

TGBaker wrote:

I think something like Iron Chariots but more point form, and less condescending towards theists.  Not that the tone is undeserved, it's just not going to encourage any theists to take it seriously.

We should pool all our arguments into a database, and organize them.  

Sounds good. Sense I was a theist I guess I should show a  little more patience. I do tend to respond harshly when they are arrogant,  inslting and condescending.

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
TGBaker wrote:Sounds good.

TGBaker wrote:

Sounds good. Sense I was a theist I guess I should show a  little more patience. I do tend to respond harshly when they are arrogant,  inslting and condescending.

A bit off topic here TG, did you get that link I sent you regarding the Cosmological Inflation Debate? 

I have a thread started, I thought it was right up your alley.  

The thread is here http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/29385

I wanted to see what you thought of the article.

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ktulu wrote:TGBaker

Ktulu wrote:

TGBaker wrote:

A bit off topic here TG, did you get that link I sent you regarding the Cosmological Inflation Debate? 

I have a thread started, I thought it was right up your alley.  

The thread is here http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/29385

I wanted to see what you thought of the article.

I did see the aricle. Was the whole article only acessible to Scientific American supscriptions? I'm curious how it will  turn out.  I don't have enough math to do physics in order to look at the various scenarios.  It seems that the problem is how ultimately to merge gravity into a Unified System. ( Hawkis original conclusiongle physic.   Einstein did not succeed before his death.  The jump from early Hawkins to the newer writings and physicists like Weinberg and Susskind is because of gravity, blackholes, and  information loss. I think the crux lies with information and its properties. There is a correlate somehow of information and human consciousness that is causing such things as the two slit-experiement and Schroedinder's Cat.  I have been focused of consciousness studies similarily to Sam Harris for the past year.

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
TGBaker wrote:I did see the

TGBaker wrote:

I did see the aricle. Was the whole article only acessible to Scientific American supscriptions? I'm curious how it will  turn out.  I don't have enough math to do physics in order to look at the various scenarios.  It seems that the problem is how ultimately to merge gravity into a Unified System. ( Hawkis original conclusiongle physic.   Einstein did not succeed before his death.  The jump from early Hawkins to the newer writings and physicists like Weinberg and Susskind is because of gravity, blackholes, and  information loss. I think the crux lies with information and its properties. There is a correlate somehow of information and human consciousness that is causing such things as the two slit-experiement and Schroedinder's Cat.  I have been focused of consciousness studies similarily to Sam Harris for the past year.

Ya, it is only available for Sciam subscribers, but their security is a joke.  Go to the article, and add this ' &page=2 ' at the end of the url. 

It will look like this

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=the-inflation-summer

then you add 

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=the-inflation-summer&page=2

and that gets you the rest of the article. it gets better than the intro lol.