Are there any atheist communities?

RatDog
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Are there any atheist communities?

Obviously not everyone who is an atheist is part of a community of atheists.  Equally obvious is that not all atheist believe the same things.  Being an atheist just means that you don't believe in a God/gods.  Does this mean that there are no atheist communities?  It seems that sometimes atheists who share similar views about things get together either on-line or off-line.  Can these atheists groups be referred to as communities, and if not why not?  

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
I view this site as an

I view this site as an atheist community.  Do you mean a brick and mortar community as in Wisteria Lane Desperate Housewives? 

I see no harm in calling this a community at all.  I always dream of helping to form a brick and mortar atheist community.  I'll put it on my "if I win the lottery" to do list.

RatDog
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Sapient wrote:I view this

Sapient wrote:

I view this site as an atheist community.  Do you mean a brick and mortar community as in Wisteria Lane Desperate Housewives? 

I see no harm in calling this a community at all.  I always dream of helping to form a brick and mortar atheist community.  I'll put it on my "if I win the lottery" to do list.

I also think this site is a community.  Which is why I started this thread.  I wanted to see if other people on this site agree with me.  I suppose this started because in another thread RedneF said.  

redneF wrote:

Redemption wrote:
 the athiests I have had conversations with in the past are not very good representatives of the athiest community.

That's your problem that you are that ignorant.

There is no atheist community.

We're all individuals.

Skeptics.

No one person represents the other. 

http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/29232?page=1

While agree that their is no single community that contains all atheists I believe that their are communities of atheists, and that sometimes individual people can represent the values of specific atheist communities.  

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
 Yes exactly, we're all

Yes exactly, we're all individuals.  However we are a group of individuals that are without a belief in a god sharing a common environment.  Many of us are here because we believe that we would like to move towards a more atheistic society, all atheists don't share that view, but this site was started with the intent of finding many others that do.  This community offers a safe haven to those people, a place for us to be able to express our views and feel at home.  

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Sapient wrote: Yes exactly,

Sapient wrote:

Yes exactly, we're all individuals.  However we are a group of individuals that are without a belief in a god sharing a common environment.  Many of us are here because we believe that we would like to move towards a more atheistic society, all atheists don't share that view, but this site was started with the intent of finding many others that do.  This community offers a safe haven to those people, a place for us to be able to express our views and feel at home.  

I really enjoy this forum, but to me the word community means more than just a common interest.  I guess I think of this place like a chess club, we all come together and talk about the things that piss us off and expose irrationalities with emphasis on religion.  Technically, by some definitions we are a group of interacting individuals, and we do share the same values.  I just hate the word community because it has been demonized so much by the religious community (see how forced that sounds), relative to atheists.  

Also the one main thing that's missing is the organization, and that is a very good thing, don't get me wrong.  I love the freedom aspect of this forum.  Anyways, English is my second language, the word community just sounds forced in my native language, it's probably why I am biased against it. 

"Don't seek these laws to understand. Only the mad can comprehend..." -- George Cosbuc