Atheism the easy way out?

Redemption
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Atheism the easy way out?

After skimming most of the front page articles it seems to me that most of the posts here are not about having a debate but rather how Christianity in general is wrong. It is  intriguing that there is a crusade for free thinking but this organization is not reaching out to people being held under Sharia Law in the the Middle East, and trying to see them set free from the hand of an even greater tyrant of a God than some seem to believe Jehovah is, or liberating people of tribal religions from cannablism and warfare. I would like to come in contact with the people who really want a debate and would base their information on logic rather than a deep rooted fear, hurt, or anger at Christianity. If you haven't guessed I am a Pentecostal believer in the Ressurection of Jesus Christ and have faith in the atoning blood that was shed on Calvary. I am not here to be converted or to convert others, but to simply fulfill the command to "preach the gospel to every creature". God bless and look forward to reading your comments.

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Redemption wrote:I never

Redemption wrote:
I never said that you deserve to roast in Hell. You insinuated that because you have heard it from some "religious" old guy and it made you mad. I don't believe anyone deserves to go to Hell, but you will go there if you ignore the things God has told you to do.

Oh? Then why is anyone going? Isn't it unjust for bad things to happen to people that don't deserve it?

Quote:
Just like a mother does not want to punish their child, but will if they disobey.

No, that's not just like mothers. Mothers don't send their kids to be tortured. Mothers don't abandon their kids. Mothers don't murder their kids by the millions.

Quote:
Simply what I said is, I don't feel like anyone deserves that, but my Bible tells me that "the wages of sin are death" this is a physical death but is also a spiritual death and I have previously stated that I believe the Bible is infallible.

Ah, well if the Bible says it, then that means those people DO deserve to go to hell. Aren't you disagreeing with the Bible then?

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

Ciarin
Theist
Ciarin's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Ciarin

Brian37 wrote:

Ciarin wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

This is what she doesn't get,

Not exactly. It seems you don't get that I don't appeal to popularity.

No you don't, not from a human rights standpoint. YOU CAN believe what you want and it does not have to be popular.

The popularity is irrelevant.

Ciarin
Theist
Ciarin's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Ciarin

Brian37 wrote:

Ciarin wrote:

TGBaker wrote:
What is the basis of your belief? Facts aquired through study and if so what are they? The aestheitic nature of your faith? Experimentation? Just curious. I lived with Druids for a hwile in the 70's and liked some of the fun. My extended family has some Wiccan alaying about. So I was just wondering.

It makes sense to me, it feels right, and other anecdotal evidence.

Your right to believe has nothing to do with your ability to demonstrate the credibility of what comes out of your mouth ON ANY ISSUE.

Ok, did you think by answering his question I was attempting to demonstrate the credibility f my beliefs?

Are you a nutbar?

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
HEY!  Didn't anybody like

HEY!  Didn't anybody like my road trip analogy on page 3???

I thought it was pretty good.

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sandycane

Sandycane wrote:

It's a perfect analogy.

Sandycane wrote:

Here's an analogy:

Okay, I have my map, I'm driving down the Interstate, I know where I want to go and how to get there.

There is some guy standing on the side of the road with a detour sign, pointing up. You stop and talk to him and he says, 'If you want to get to Heaven and live for all eternity with god, you have to follow my road map and my directions.'

You ask for evidence of this god - there is none. You ask for evidence of this place called Heaven - there is none. You ask why you should want to go to this place and he shows you a book, supposedly written by this god, and it describes a vengeful, narcissistic, egotistical sadistic character.

Now, I ask you, Who in their right mind would deviate from their current 'easy' path to follow you?

Answer: Those who are lost!

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris

RatDog
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Sandycane

Sandycane wrote:

I thought it was good.  The only thing it missed was repetition.  Where you receive the same crazy bad directions from most of the people you ask.     

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
RatDog wrote:I thought it

RatDog wrote:

I thought it was good.  The only thing it missed was repetition.  

I wanted to know what she was wearing...

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris

RatDog
atheist
User is offlineOffline
redneF wrote:RatDog wrote:I

redneF wrote:

RatDog wrote:

I thought it was good.  The only thing it missed was repetition.  

I wanted to know what she was wearing...

Also an interesting and worthy question.

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
 You guys are so funny.Glad

You guys are so funny.

Glad you liked it... and I would be wearing slightly more than the girl in Prozac's avatar.

'Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.' A. Einstein

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sandycane wrote: You guys

Sandycane wrote:

You guys are so funny.

Glad you liked it... and I would be wearing slightly more than the girl in Prozac's avatar.

Gee I always arrive late and miss all the fun....bummer

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whip cream."--Frank Zappa

http://atheisticgod.blogspot.com/ Books on atheism

Ciarin
Theist
Ciarin's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sandycane

Sandycane wrote:

it's a good analogy as far as christians. But if you asked a pagan for directions they'd tell you to find your own way.....

...or they'd try to get you buy their crystals and sage smudge sticks....it depends on the pagan really....

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Redeemed

Redemption wrote:

"Atheist's may yearn for facts of a God without having to show any faith but if they would be open like that claim to be and show faith like a mustard seed then God would be able to show visible, tangible proof that he exists."

This is simply the worst point in the entire thread. It's not scriptural armour you don each morning, it's the armour of Kruger-Dunning. You are oblivious.

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Chuckle

Redemption wrote:

I never said that you deserve to roast in Hell. You insinuated that because you have heard it from some "religious" old guy and it made you mad. I don't believe anyone deserves to go to Hell, but you will go there if you ignore the things God has told you to do. Just like a mother does not want to punish their child, but will if they disobey.

The threat is never far away. Why would the master of universe need to resort to use of a fallacy from force to convince the ants his invisible arse is real?

It smacks of bullshit to me, Redemption.

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ciarin wrote:Sandycane

Ciarin wrote:

Sandycane wrote:

it's a good analogy as far as christians. But if you asked a pagan for directions they'd tell you to find your own way.....

...or they'd try to get you buy their crystals and sage smudge sticks....it depends on the pagan really....

Same shit, different detour... they all have their signs, rituals and snake oils... including yours.

PS: I checked out your web site...I couldn't read any of the text on several pages because of the dark blue text over a maroon background.

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
TGBaker wrote:Sandycane

TGBaker wrote:

Sandycane wrote:

You guys are so funny.

I love your virtual 'live' avatar.

How are you feeling today? I hope you get to go home soon.

HEY! One of the theists posted about an aunt or someone who was in the hospital with cancer and she prayed it away! This is the perfect opportunity for you to do an experiment and see if it actually works!

Seriously, I hope you have a speedy and full recovery.

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sandycane wrote:TGBaker

duplicate deleted

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline

deleted triple WOW. tHIS SEEMS TO BE HAPPENING OFTEN TO MY POSTS................

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline

Sandycane wrote:

TGBaker wrote:

Sandycane wrote:

You guys are so funny.

HEY! One of the theists posted about an aunt or someone who was in the hospital with cancer and she prayed it away! This is the perfect opportunity for you to do an experiment and see if it actually works!

Hi SandyCane.  I feel great. I did well through the first chemo. They are growing all the white cells etc.; back in me that they killed with the chemo.  Then I get another bone marrow biopsy.  The only problem I have had was a reaction to an anti-biotic which has left me itching from head to toe.  Thus a topical steroid.  I am here at least another 4 to 6 weeks.  I miss not being able to hold my 2 year old.  I think we should create an objective experiment to determine whether atheistic prayers may have a "law of attraction effect" that surpasses those of the Christian, Jew and Muslim.  The reasoning is that the universe is pissed that people do not see it as supreme and give credit to a non-exstent force of deity. Mother nature is amazed that so many people worship the unnatural.  We atheist do not pray on the other hand because of our response to theism.  So I in the name of the natural petition all atheists to pray for me, my bank account and libido.  We need a time frame whch will begin 12 noon tomorrow Eastern time.  You game? 

Thanks for the hope 

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whip cream."--Frank Zappa

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
TGBaker wrote: I love your

TGBaker wrote:

Hi SandyCane.  I feel great. I did well through the first chemo. They are growing all the white cells etc.; back in me that they killed with the chemo.  Then I get another bone marrow biopsy.  The only problem I have had was a reaction to an anti-biotic which has left me itching from head to toe.  Thus a topical steroid.  I am here at least another 4 to 6 weeks.  I miss not being able to hold my 2 year old.  I think we should create an objective experiment to determine whether atheistic prayers may have a "law of attraction effect" that surpasses those of the Christian, Jew and Muslim.  The reasoning is that the universe is pissed that people do not see it as supreme and give credit to a non-exstent force of deity. Mother nature is amazed that so many people worship the unnatural.  We atheist do not pray on the other hand because of our response to theism.  So I in the name of the natural petition all atheists to pray for me, my bank account and libido.  We need a time frame whch will begin 12 noon tomorrow Eastern time.  You game? 

Thanks for the hope 

ABSOFUCKINGLUTELY!

I'M GOING TO COPY THIS TO A NEW THREAD AND GET EVERYONE ON BOARD!!!

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline

Sandycane wrote:

TGBaker wrote:

Thanks for the hope 

ABSOFUCKINGLUTELY!

Thanks we need a means to keep theists from corrupting our prayers with their own.

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sandycane wrote: Hi

Sandycane wrote:

Thanks for the hope 

ABSOFUCKINGLUTELY!

DONE!

All willing volunteers can go here to sign up.

Ciarin
Theist
Ciarin's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sandycane wrote: Same shit,

Sandycane wrote:

Same shit, different detour... they all have their signs, rituals and snake oils... including yours.

Really? telling you to think for yourself is the same shit as telling you you're going to hell if you don't follow christianity. Interesting. By the way, I have no snake oil. I have linseed oil.

Quote:

PS: I checked out your web site...I couldn't read any of the text on several pages because of the dark blue text over a maroon background.

Which site did you go to and what browser are you using? None of my sites use a blue font with maroon background.

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline

Ciarin wrote:

Sandycane wrote:

Really? telling you to think for yourself is the same shit as telling you you're going to hell if you don't follow christianity. Interesting. By the way, I have no snake oil. I have linseed oil.

Quote:

Which site did you go to and what browser are you using? None of my sites use a blue font with maroon background.

So, do you worship something/someone using some form of organized methods and assorted accessories?

As to your web site... wow, some bit of 'magic' going on there! Yesterday, on the link to 'My Art Site', it was a completely different layout and format. Amazing switcheroo.

Ciarin
Theist
Ciarin's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sandycane wrote:So, do you

Sandycane wrote:
So, do you worship something/someone using some form of organized methods and assorted accessories?

symbel and huselgang, offerung, bletsung. Accessories include, animal/food, honey, milk, a bowl, a horn, a knife or gun to kill the animal. That's about it.

Quote:

As to your web site... wow, some bit of 'magic' going on there! Yesterday, on the link to 'My Art Site', it was a completely different layout and format. Amazing switcheroo.

Yes if by 'magic' you mean changed the theme. I went to look on my sites to see what you might be talking about and I noticed on my art site the theme was broken so I reverted to the default theme. It's still broken but it's readable.

And when I saw it, it was grey font on a red background. None of my themes use maroon or blue, which is why I asked. btw, it's just a picture gallery so unless you were longing to know what I called the picture, the text isn't all that necessary. By the way you made it sound, you were trying to read several pages on a website that has verbal content, like a blog.

and fyi the ciarin.com site is going away in a few months when the domain expires. my new site is http://thebucci.com in case you're actually interested.

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline

Ciarin wrote:

Sandycane wrote:

symbel and huselgang, offerung, bletsung. Accessories include, animal/food, honey, milk, a bowl, a horn, a knife or gun to kill the animal. That's about it.

Quote:

Yes if by 'magic' you mean changed the theme. I went to look on my sites to see what you might be talking about and I noticed on my art site the theme was broken so I reverted to the default theme. It's still broken but it's readable.

And when I saw it, it was grey font on a red background. None of my themes use maroon or blue, which is why I asked. btw, it's just a picture gallery so unless you were longing to know what I called the picture, the text isn't all that necessary. By the way you made it sound, you were trying to read several pages on a website that has verbal content, like a blog.

and fyi the ciarin.com site is going away in a few months when the domain expires. my new site is http://thebucci.com in case you're actually interested.

Gray/red... maroon/blue...difference in monitors, I suppose...

I like your new web site...and I love that version of Over the Rainbow!!!! I had it on my favorite list on YouTube.... AND, you are a knitter! I just opened a sewing supply/yarn shop but, I've been crocheting for 40 years and last month made my very first knit project: a scarf out of Red Heart Pomp-A-Doodle. I've since made 2 more knitted scarves. I'm ready to increase the complexity level.

What do you knit?

Everyone else: Please excuse the momentary thread sidetrack.

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sandycane wrote:...AND, you

Sandycane wrote:

...AND, you are a knitter!

Oh crap.

There goes the neighbourhood...

Sandycane wrote:
What do you knit?

String bikinis?

If so, please post pictures...

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline
redneF wrote:Sandycane

redneF wrote:

Sandycane wrote:

...AND, you are a knitter!

Oh crap.

There goes the neighbourhood...

Sandycane wrote:
What do you knit?

String bikinis?

If so, please post pictures...

I second that emotion....

Ciarin
Theist
Ciarin's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm a beginner knitter, and

I'm a beginner knitter, and so far I've only done hats. There used to be a gallery of my knitting projects, but it's gone now. I need to put up a new one I guess.

I first started knitting when I was pregnant, I made a hat for my baby. And then I lost the hat, so I made another one. And then I found the first hat, so there's 2. Then I didn't bother knitting for a long while, and started doing it more recently. I made a blue/brown hat, and I'm about halfway through a green hat.

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Okay guys, just for

Okay guys, just for you:

TG, your avatar expression goes perfectly with this picture!

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sandycane wrote:Okay guys,

Sandycane wrote:

Okay guys, just for you:

Not a bad start, really.

But I was picturing something with a little more......flair?

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sandycane wrote:Okay guys,

Sandycane wrote:

Okay guys, just for you:

TG, your avatar expression goes perfectly with this picture!

You must be a evil witch too. I am in terminal nausea now....that is a worse kick than chemo....that is just wrong.  It is not funny I'm not a well person. So you owe me

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ciarin wrote:I'm a beginner

Ciarin wrote:

I'm a beginner knitter, and so far I've only done hats. There used to be a gallery of my knitting projects, but it's gone now. I need to put up a new one I guess.

I first started knitting when I was pregnant, I made a hat for my baby. And then I lost the hat, so I made another one. And then I found the first hat, so there's 2. Then I didn't bother knitting for a long while, and started doing it more recently. I made a blue/brown hat, and I'm about halfway through a green hat.

Did you use circular needles for the hat or regular needles? I only know how to cast on, knit and cast off.

Here is the scarf I made:

and two tops I just finished crocheting from scratch (made my own pattern) for my granddaughters:

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline

redneF wrote:

Sandycane wrote:

Okay guys, just for you:

Not a bad start, really.

Pretty, pretty. I actually made one several years ago exactly like the yellow one..

I used to look like that in it too.

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
TGBaker wrote: You must be a

TGBaker wrote:

You must be a evil witch too. I am in terminal nausea now....that is a worse kick than chemo....that is just wrong.  It is not funny I'm not a well person. So you owe me

I'm sorry, please forgive me! I thought a good laugh would do you good....I guess it was too much.

Ciarin
Theist
Ciarin's picture
User is offlineOffline
regular needles.

regular needles.

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sandycane wrote: Pretty,

Sandycane wrote:

Pretty, pretty. I actually made one several years ago exactly like the yellow one..

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ciarin wrote:regular

Ciarin wrote:

regular needles.

Me too. I wanted to make socks from this beautiful yarn I have in the shop but, after watching a video, I think it is beyond my skill level... you cast onto THREE needles and work with a fourth!  

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline

Sandycane wrote:

TGBaker wrote:

I'm sorry, please forgive me! I thought a good laugh would do you good....I guess it was too much.

Just joking. I may get to go home tomorrow.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline

redneF wrote:

Sandycane wrote:

Okay guys, just for you:

Not a bad start, really.

Thanks asshole. How am I supposed to clean my computer screen and keyboard. I cant replace them this computer is no longer under warranty.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:redneF

Brian37 wrote:

redneF wrote:

Sandycane wrote:

Okay guys, just for you:

Not a bad start, really.

Thanks asshole. How am I supposed to clean my computer screen and keyboard. I cant replace them this computer is no longer under warranty.

I just failed my blood pressure test....

Ciarin
Theist
Ciarin's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sandycane wrote:Ciarin

Sandycane wrote:

Ciarin wrote:

regular needles.

Me too. I wanted to make socks from this beautiful yarn I have in the shop but, after watching a video, I think it is beyond my skill level... you cast onto THREE needles and work with a fourth!  

insanity!

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline

Ciarin wrote:

Sandycane wrote:

Ciarin wrote:

regular needles.

insanity!

Definitely! Here is the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wSFaGpmVSw

I watched about 3 minutes of the video before I decided I didn't want to commit to working with it!

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
TGBaker wrote:Brian37

TGBaker wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

redneF wrote:

Sandycane wrote:

Okay guys, just for you:

Not a bad start, really.

I just failed my blood pressure test....

I have nothing to add, I just wanted to see them again,  and all four are just grand.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?