Atheism the easy way out?

Redemption
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Atheism the easy way out?

After skimming most of the front page articles it seems to me that most of the posts here are not about having a debate but rather how Christianity in general is wrong. It is  intriguing that there is a crusade for free thinking but this organization is not reaching out to people being held under Sharia Law in the the Middle East, and trying to see them set free from the hand of an even greater tyrant of a God than some seem to believe Jehovah is, or liberating people of tribal religions from cannablism and warfare. I would like to come in contact with the people who really want a debate and would base their information on logic rather than a deep rooted fear, hurt, or anger at Christianity. If you haven't guessed I am a Pentecostal believer in the Ressurection of Jesus Christ and have faith in the atoning blood that was shed on Calvary. I am not here to be converted or to convert others, but to simply fulfill the command to "preach the gospel to every creature". God bless and look forward to reading your comments.

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Redemption wrote:Atheism may

Redemption wrote:
Atheism may not be the socially easy way out but it is for sure the easy way out spiritually. Would you ignore an alternate road to work that took the same time and was the same distance but was smoother than the route you take now? Simply ignoring spirituality does not make you exempt from it, I heard a guy on Fox news yell loudly one time "We have freedom OF religion not freedom FROM it" and he made sense for a split second then went back to crazy yelling guy.

You will need to elaborate on what the "easy way out spiritually" means.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
Redemption wrote: I am not

Redemption wrote:
I am not claiming that the scientific method is invalid

You're being dishonest and equivocal.

This was what you said:

" how do you justify spreading false information when science has been wrong? "

Redemption wrote:
 My question would be that what makes your "facts" better than mine. 

You're speaking in terms that are too broad.

What 'facts' do you think you have?

Redemption wrote:
  I would like to come in contact with the people who really want a debate and would base their information on logic

Facts and universal constants are not established using logic.

Logic is patterned after discovery, not the other way around; for better or worse.

Redemption wrote:
 I do not believe the Bible is incorrect.  

That's neither here, nor there.

It's literature.

Redemption wrote:
 When you discard your "facts" so easily though it shows that you never actually had the, for lack of a better word, faith in your data.  

I don't know what point you're trying to make. Data is not an appeal to emotions.

Redemption wrote:
 You claim I spout things from the Bible out of faith then you turn around and spout numbers at me that were reported to you by a HUMAN who makes mistakes and could have false information. It doesn't bother you that you are hypocritical in your assumptions that your numbers and reports are correct even though they are proved wrong daily? 

You're off your nut.

You come in here under the guise that you'd like to discuss or debate, and then tear into spouting random ad hominem propagandist diatribes based on convoluted narratives and correlations.

Redemption wrote:
 Atheism may not be the socially easy way out but it is for sure the easy way out spiritually.

That's false on 2 counts.

1- Spirituality and religion are not mutually inclusive. Atheists can be deeply spiritual.

2- In certain parts of the world, atheists are most certainly forced to, at the very least, keep their mouths shut, for fear of transgressions against themselves and their loved ones from emotionally and mentally dysfunctional people, and their disproportionate rage and intolerance towards spiritual pluralism.

Redemption wrote:
 No matter how hard you say you don't believe in God he will always be there to believe in you. 

You're projecting your fantasies and delusions.

That's talking woo woo.

That's not rational discourse.

Might does not make right.

I've never seen any evidence of gods or supernatural phenomena. You are a subset of a superset of atheists and skeptics, and you'd be better to learn to understand, and acknowledge it, and adjust your behaviour, or suffer the consequences of being lumped into a category of religious nutters, by the leaders of science and technolgies, who are the ones who truly shape the modern world.

There are hundreds of millions of individuals, who make very little distinction between religious people, for very 'logical' and 'rational' reasons, much to your possible chagrin.

You people enjoyed the freedom from high levels of scrutiny and focus, for many years. But, the events of 9/11 changed the landscape of humanity forever, and has brought the focus on religious dogma and adherance to flights of fantasy, to the forefront, and will continue to do so.

With more and more 'closet' atheists coming out of the woodwork, it will send a powerful message to those who lived in an ignorance bubble of the world around them.

More and more moderates who were just 'going through the motions' and who perhaps never really engaged in heavy duty self actualization, will realize that they perhaps need to set aside the time, and compare their philosophical and moral views compared to atheists.

Redemption wrote:
 If there is anything you would want me to analyze for you to show you that I know what I am talking about I would be gald to.

No, because you're underqualified.

You're not even close to my level of awareness, understanding and acceptance of reality, or my level of sobriety.

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline
redneF wrote:Redemption

redneF wrote:

Redemption wrote:
I am not claiming that the scientific method is invalid

You're being dishonest and equivocal.

This was what you said:

" how do you justify spreading false information when science has been wrong? "

Redemption wrote:
 My question would be that what makes your "facts" better than mine. 

You're speaking in terms that are too broad.

What 'facts' do you think you have?

Redemption wrote:
  I would like to come in contact with the people who really want a debate and would base their information on logic

Facts and universal constants are not established using logic.

Logic is patterned after discovery, not the other way around; for better or worse.

Redemption wrote:
 I do not believe the Bible is incorrect.  

That's neither here, nor there.

It's literature.

Redemption wrote:
 When you discard your "facts" so easily though it shows that you never actually had the, for lack of a better word, faith in your data.  

I don't know what point you're trying to make. Data is not an appeal to emotions.

Redemption wrote:
 You claim I spout things from the Bible out of faith then you turn around and spout numbers at me that were reported to you by a HUMAN who makes mistakes and could have false information. It doesn't bother you that you are hypocritical in your assumptions that your numbers and reports are correct even though they are proved wrong daily? 

You're off your nut.

You come in here under the guise that you'd like to discuss or debate, and then tear into spouting random ad hominem propagandist diatribes based on convoluted narratives and correlations.

Redemption wrote:
 Atheism may not be the socially easy way out but it is for sure the easy way out spiritually.

That's false on 2 counts.

1- Spirituality and religion are not mutually inclusive. Atheists can be deeply spiritual.

2- In certain parts of the world, atheists are most certainly forced to, at the very least, keep their mouths shut, for fear of transgressions against themselves and their loved ones from emotionally and mentally dysfunctional people, and their disproportionate rage and intolerance towards spiritual pluralism.

Redemption wrote:
 No matter how hard you say you don't believe in God he will always be there to believe in you. 

You're projecting your fantasies and delusions.

That's talking woo woo.

That's not rational discourse.

Might does not make right.

I've never seen any evidence of gods or supernatural phenomena. You are a subset of a superset of atheists and skeptics, and you'd be better to learn to understand, and acknowledge it, and adjust your behaviour, or suffer the consequences of being lumped into a category of religious nutters, by the leaders of science and technolgies, who are the ones who truly shape the modern world.

There are hundreds of millions of individuals, who make very little distinction between religious people, for very 'logical' and 'rational' reasons, much to your possible chagrin.

You people enjoyed the freedom from high levels of scrutiny and focus, for many years. But, the events of 9/11 changed the landscape of humanity forever, and has brought the focus on religious dogma and adherance to flights of fantasy, to the forefront, and will continue to do so.

With more and more 'closet' atheists coming out of the woodwork, it will send a powerful message to those who lived in an ignorance bubble of the world around them.

More and more moderates who were just 'going through the motions' and who perhaps never really engaged in heavy duty self actualization, will realize that they perhaps need to set aside the time, and compare their philosophical and moral views compared to atheists.

Redemption wrote:
 If there is anything you would want me to analyze for you to show you that I know what I am talking about I would be gald to.

No, because you're underqualified.

You're not even close to my level of awareness, understanding and acceptance of reality, or my level of sobriety.

Dude. I am always amazed at how you sum up the actual meaning of a person's statements. I wish I had your methodology. YOu have summed up in this post not only the OP but the typical theistic posturing in general. I can see it as an actual psychological coonstruct which causes one to think, speak and respond in a preset manner like fuzzying up an issue, misdirecting to another topic etc.  I wonder if these are not a theistic/consciousness that has its own defense mechanism such that we could predict that a believer might pull this card as avoidance or another to reinterprete the subject into something else.  In other words can we also observe theism as a delusion which can be defined by the pyschological tactics we see expressed on the board. You've seen what you have defined here in a couple of other theists you've confronted when you stop and think about it. It might be worth an effort to go through previous posts and find what sort of tactics are employed by theism in general. I will contend that these are not willful or intentional psoturing on the part of the "believer". I will guess that they are preprogrammed behavior actually originating from the belief system and defining those statements of belief as literally DELUSION!!!! Prosac anyone.

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whip cream."--Frank Zappa

http://atheisticgod.blogspot.com/ Books on atheism

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Redemption wrote:Atheism may

Redemption wrote:

Atheism may not be the socially easy way out but it is for sure the easy way out spiritually. Would you ignore an alternate road to work that took the same time and was the same distance but was smoother than the route you take now? Simply ignoring spirituality does not make you exempt from it, I heard a guy on Fox news yell loudly one time "We have freedom OF religion not freedom FROM it" and he made sense for a split second then went back to crazy yelling guy.

The Bible is correct in my eyes because I have applied the scriptures to my life and the blessings that are promised are now a part of my daily life. I do not base my faith solely on the fact that God does good things for me. My favorite scripture is Phillipians 3:10 " That I may now Him and the power of his ressurection, and the fellowship of His sufferings being made conformable unto His death" I know that I am going to come under persecution and have trials but I know that the blessing of God is upon my life even when I cannot see it.

I have studied it quite extensively. I have a concordance that shows the meanings of words in Greek and Hebrew as well as Aramaic. If there is anything you would want me to analyze for you to show you that I know what I am talking about I would be gald to.

How does not buying your particular God story equate to "ignoring spirituality"? Do you ignore spirituality because you don't buy into Allah or Vishnu?

Do you really think choosing "none of the above" makes me less of a citizen?

How do you jump from "the scriptures are right for me" to "the scriptures are right for all"?

I tend not to trust concordances because they base the definition of terms based on what fits the religion rather than what the word actually says.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ciarin wrote:   No. I

Ciarin wrote:

No. I prefer what I said I prefer. I'm pretty sure you don't get to dictate my thoughts, opinions, and preferences. I believe I'm the only one with the authority to do that.

I agree completely.    That's exactly why your heathen "gods" do not exist in reality but only within your mind

Try again.

Ciarin
Theist
Ciarin's picture
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish wrote:Ciarin

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

Ciarin wrote:

No. I prefer what I said I prefer. I'm pretty sure you don't get to dictate my thoughts, opinions, and preferences. I believe I'm the only one with the authority to do that.

I agree completely.    That's exactly why your heathen "gods" do not exist in reality but only within your mind

Try again.

And the minds of everyone else who believes in them, apparently.

What exactly am I supposed to "try again"?

Ciarin
Theist
Ciarin's picture
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish

double post

Mr_Metaphysics (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Ciarin wrote:And the minds

Ciarin wrote:

Do you seriously believe in many Gods, or is this just some front that you put on?  

Even atheism is more rational than this, and that's saying a lot.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:1. I believe that The

Quote:
1. I believe that The Bible is the inspired word of God penned by men who were under the influence of the Holy Ghost, and this is my speculation so I do not expect you to believe me but simply to allow me to have the freedom to choose what I believe.

I am not going to repeat this again. Please do not go here with this again.

Your civil rights are not the issue here. You can go around claiming the moon is made of cheese for all we care.

FACTS are what we are disputing. Not your physical right to utter something or type something.

What you are doing, even if you don't realize it, is asking others to not challenge you because it makes you uncomfortable.

There are two different issues that have NOTHING to do with each other.

Your human rights are NOT in dispute.

What you claim to believe is.

We do not give any claim blind respect just because we agree with your right to claim it.

If you want to live in a country where a majority claim is not allowed to be challenged, Iran would be such a place. I doubt very seriously you'd like living there as a Christian. They might at best, leave you alone if you never sold your claims and kept your mouth shut.

If we advocated censorship you wouldn't be here at all. All we are interested is your evidence for what you believe and MORE IMPORTANTLY WHY you believe.

We don't care that you claim these things, but we are going to put them through the boxing ring.

Again, you are going to be miserable here if you expect us to simply go "isn't that nice".

I would suggest you get over yourself and debate and stop complaining. We will not have you arrested. We will not eat your young or rape your women. If you do not convince us, we merely will keep holding our position.

The worst you will get from us is "bullshit". And again, that only has to do with the claims you make, not you the individual. You being a nice person is not the issue, your claims are.

NOW FOR THE LAST TIME, your human rights are not in dispute here. Got it?

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Mr_Metaphysics wrote:Ciarin

Mr_Metaphysics wrote:

Ciarin wrote:

Do you seriously believe in many Gods, or is this just some front that you put on?  

Says the Christian polytheist...

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

Mr_Metaphysics (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly

jcgadfly wrote:

Mr_Metaphysics wrote:

Ciarin wrote:

Your understanding of Christian doctrine is nonexistent.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Ciarin wrote:    And the

Ciarin wrote:

Well nanny boo boo !!!   Seriously Ciarin, is that what you rely upon to validate maintaining your belief in Anglo Saxon mythology ?    Because others do as well ?   That's pretty lame. 

Well in the same vein, hundreds of millions of Christians / Muslims believe in a literal Heaven and Hell but apparently your group of happy heathens disagree with that concept ( according to your previous post ) so why should I let myself be influenced by something that bases it's "truth" by how many people sign up ?  In spite of the Abrahamic religions vastly superior membership you seem to have no problem assigning their religious claims to the proverbial trash can.  ( double standard anyone ? )

If all 7 billion humans on Earth suddenly claimed to have some sort of god belief and I was the only atheist in existence my lonely reply would still be for them to provide me with evidence to vindicate their supernatural claims.  The phrase "put up or shut up" would  continue to be my approach.

I would ask you for evidence to back up your heathen gods theory but I've seen enough of your posts to know that will never happen.

Whatever.....

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

Ciarin wrote:

Well nanny boo boo !!!   Seriously Ciarin, is that what you rely upon to validate maintaining your belief in Anglo Saxon mythology ?    Because others do as well ?   That's pretty lame. 

Well in the same vein, hundreds of millions of Christians / Muslims believe in a literal Heaven and Hell and apparently your group of happy heathens disagree ( according to your previous post ) so why should I let myself be influenced by something that bases it's "truth" by how many people sign up ?  In spite of the Abrahamic religions vastly superior  membership you seem to have no problem assigning their religious claims to the proverbial trash can.

If all 7 billion humans on Earth suddenly claimed to have some sort of god belief and I was the only atheist in existence my lonely reply would still be for them to provide me with evidence to vindicate their supernatural claims.  The phrase "put up or shut up" would be continue to be my approach.

I would ask you for evidence to back up your heathen gods theory but I've seen enough of your posts to know that will never happen.

Whatever.....

This is what she doesn't get, what no theist gets, no matter what their religious claims are.

Popularity nor "I like what I believe" constitutes any testable falsifiable empirical evidence.

It is this willful ignorance that allowed the Egyptians to believe falsely that the sun was a god for over 3,000 years. That ignorant complacency prevented that society from seeking the truth that we know now.

Pluralism in a society as a human rights issue is not in dispute. What is are how people remain satisfied with the status quo IN ALL OF HUMAN HISTORY.

It is because people questioned and because people didn't settle for the social norms of the time, that we learned and grew as a species.

The fear of being wrong is strong emotion, but when one gets over it, the ability to learn new things grows.

Again, this willful credulity is what caused most of humanity to believe the earth was flat.

I do not find any argument from any theist "Yea, they are wrong, but I am different" a valid argument.

I may like their personal attitude of inclusion, but that doesn't mean they have evidence for their personal claims.

STRICTLY from a human rights view, I agree with everyone's right to believe what they want. BUT, that is not the same as having evidence for the claim, and that does not mean I have to respect the claim itself, even if I like the person who makes a claim I don't like.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:   This is

Brian37 wrote:

This is what she doesn't get, what no theist gets, no matter what their religious claims are.

Popularity nor "I like what I believe" constitutes any testable falsifiable empirical evidence.

It is this willful ignorance that allowed the Egyptians to believe falsely that the sun was a god for over 3,000 years. That ignorant complacency prevented that society from seeking the truth that we know now.

Pluralism in a society as a human rights issue is not in dispute. What is are how people remain satisfied with the status quo IN ALL OF HUMAN HISTORY.

It is because people questioned and because people didn't settle for the social norms of the time, that we learned and grew as a species.

The fear of being wrong is strong emotion, but when one gets over it, the ability to learn new things grows.

Again, this willful credulity is what caused most of humanity to believe the earth was flat.

I do not find any argument from any theist "Yea, they are wrong, but I am different" a valid argument.

I may like their personal attitude of inclusion, but that doesn't mean they have evidence for their personal claims.

STRICTLY from a human rights view, I agree with everyone's right to believe what they want. BUT, that is not the same as having evidence for the claim, and that does not mean I have to respect the claim itself, even if I like the person who makes a claim I don't like.

Ditto.

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Redemption wrote:...My

Redemption wrote:

My favorite scripture is Phillipians 3:10 " That I may now Him and the power of his ressurection, and the fellowship of His sufferings being made conformable unto His death" ...

A bit of friendly advice to you:

If you stay here much longer, I suggest you trade up to Ephesians 6:10-17

Seriously, you are in over your head and unless you keep a firm grip on your 'faith' you are in danger of giving it up for facts. If you are a coward, you will find some excuse (like Matthew 10:14) to tuck tail and run away. If not, you are on the threshold of living a life you can fully enjoy. Do you have the courage to be responsible for your own life...and death? We'll see.

Btw, you misspelled 'Philippians' and 'resurrection'...which I find odd since it is your favorite scripture.

'Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.' A. Einstein

Ciarin
Theist
Ciarin's picture
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish wrote:   

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

Well nanny boo boo !!!

Indeed.

Quote:

Seriously Ciarin, is that what you rely upon to validate maintaining your belief in Anglo Saxon mythology ?    Because others do as well ?   That's pretty lame.

Nice strawman you got there.

Quote:
  ...so why should I let myself be influenced...

You shouldn't. You should think for yourself. Arguments that appeal to popularity shouldn't influence anyone.

lol, nanny nanny boo boo fail.

Ciarin
Theist
Ciarin's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:This is what

Brian37 wrote:

This is what she doesn't get,

Not exactly. It seems you don't get that I don't appeal to popularity.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Ciarin wrote:Brian37

Ciarin wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Hey Ciarin you're really great with one liners and witty comebacks but I've seen your feeble attempts to explain why you "believe" .   Oh, you don't appeal to popularity do you ?  Well at least that would  be a start.   You don't appeal to anything except how it makes you feel.

You invite atheists to question you about you fairy tale beliefs and when they try to pin you down as to why you believe you become the master of obfuscation.  I read your brilliant thread at AN and it was just you pleading the 5'th for over thirty pages and eventually becoming their heathen chew toy.

So, go right ahead and fall back onto your witty little responses and your passive-aggressive bull shit.  You're more of a joke than the Christians who come here because at least they  put some actual effort in to providing evidence as to why they believe.   Your arguments never even make it out of the gate.

( Bye Ciarin, no more time to waste on you. )

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline

Ciarin wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

What is the basis of your belief? Facts aquired through study and if so what are they? The aestheitic nature of your faith? Experimentation? Just curious. I lived with Druids for a hwile in the 70's and liked some of the fun. My extended family has some Wiccan alaying about. So I was just wondering.

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whip cream."--Frank Zappa

Ciarin
Theist
Ciarin's picture
User is offlineOffline

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

Ciarin wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Hey Ciarin you're really great with one liners and witty comebacks but I've seen your feeble attempts to explain why you "believe" .   Oh, you don't appeal to popularity do you ?  Well at least that would  be a start.   You don't appeal to anything except how it makes you feel.

You invite atheists to question you about you fairy tale beliefs and when they try to pin you down as to why you believe you become the master of obfuscation.  I read your brilliant thread at AN and it was just you pleading the 5'th for over thirty pages and eventually becoming their heathen chew toy.

So, go right ahead and fall back onto your witty little responses and your passive-aggressive bull shit.  You're more of a joke than the Christians who come here because at least they  put some actual effort in to providing evidence as to why they believe.   Your arguments never even make it out of the gate.

( Bye Ciarin, no more time to waste on you. )

what a brilliant mischaracterization.

Ciarin
Theist
Ciarin's picture
User is offlineOffline
TGBaker wrote:What is the

TGBaker wrote:
What is the basis of your belief? Facts aquired through study and if so what are they? The aestheitic nature of your faith? Experimentation? Just curious. I lived with Druids for a hwile in the 70's and liked some of the fun. My extended family has some Wiccan alaying about. So I was just wondering.

It makes sense to me, it feels right, and other anecdotal evidence.

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ciarin wrote:TGBaker

Ciarin wrote:

TGBaker wrote:

Gotcha. We would say in philosophy that it is a hermeneutic whereby the world makes sense and by which may be intereacted upon. I distinquish my aesthetics as mytho-poetic verses scientific. A poem about a tree can say more than a botanical study.  Poetry allows metaphoric transcendence where fact allows only correspondence of thought to the world.Sorry about the goofy way I word things....probably the quality of the hospital drugs I'm getting. 

ex-minister
atheistHigh Level Moderator
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist

Atheistextremist wrote:

Redemption wrote:

I am a Pentecostal believer in the Ressurection of Jesus Christ and have faith in the atoning blood that was shed on Calvary.

And I think it's just adorable.

Now I can't stop laughing. I showed it to my wife and we are in tears.

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Mr_Metaphysics

Mr_Metaphysics wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

Mr_Metaphysics wrote:

Ciarin wrote:

Your understanding of Christian doctrine is nonexistent.

If by that you mean "Biblical" I will have to agree.

— George Carlin

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
I see that word "believe"

I see that word "believe" thrown around an awful lot. People need to be more careful these things tend to break.

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
TGBaker wrote:  Gotcha. We

TGBaker wrote:

Gotcha. We would say in philosophy that it is a hermeneutic whereby the world makes sense and by which may be intereacted upon. I distinquish my aesthetics as mytho-poetic verses scientific. A poem about a tree can say more than a botanical study.  Poetry allows metaphoric transcendence where fact allows only correspondence of thought to the world.

This school of thought provides comfort, inspires awe etc,  ....but it's just not useful for testing truth claims ? 

Art for arts sake.

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

TGBaker wrote:

Gotcha. We would say in philosophy that it is a hermeneutic whereby the world makes sense and by which may be intereacted upon. I distinquish my aesthetics as mytho-poetic verses scientific. A poem about a tree can say more than a botanical study.  Poetry allows metaphoric transcendence where fact allows only correspondence of thought to the world.

This school of thought provides comfort, inspires awe etc,  ....but it's just not useful for testing truth claims ? 

Art for arts sake.

Yep or Hi boys and girls lets play pretend.

Redemption
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Thanks for the advice to put

Thanks for the advice to put on my armor, and I do that everyday, and the fact that the only thing that I can get picked on about is my spelling shows that my armor is working.

Matthew 10:14 is not a tuck tail and run away it is the guide for evangelist that if you are not welcome go away instead of causing strife by creating a scene due to unwelcome guests.. If I am not welcome I will most certainly go away but isn't this a place where everyone is welcome to debate their beliefs? 

I had a talk with a fellow minister about the discussion that has went on here and he had this to say. " Atheist's may yearn for facts of a God without having to show any faith but if they would be open like that claim to be and show faith like a mustard seed then God would be able to show visible, tangible proof that he exists."

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Redemption wrote:...the fact

Redemption wrote:
...the fact that the only thing that I can get picked on about is my spelling...

There are many responses. You just ignored them all.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline
Redemption wrote:Thanks for

Redemption wrote:

Thanks for the advice to put on my armor, and I do that everyday, and the fact that the only thing that I can get picked on about is my spelling shows that my armor is working.

Matthew 10:14 is not a tuck tail and run away it is the guide for evangelist that if you are not welcome go away instead of causing strife by creating a scene due to unwelcome guests.. If I am not welcome I will most certainly go away but isn't this a place where everyone is welcome to debate their beliefs? 

I had a talk with a fellow minister about the discussion that has went on here and he had this to say. " Atheist's may yearn for facts of a God without having to show any faith but if they would be open like that claim to be and show faith like a mustard seed then God would be able to show visible, tangible proof that he exists."

You are certainly allowed to to discuss your beliefs.  Are they based upon experience, scripture or what?  If scripture then they are easily overturned and shown as false.  If they are based upon some existential experience or revelation not much can be done to respond to such a delusion.  If you have facts or evidence that can be shown for others to form an opinion then those are subject to proof and verification. Otherwise everything that comes from the mouth is noise and babble. Show us any good reason that one should believe your claims about a marginally historical Jew who was elevated by his fans to a superstar and eventually a splintered triad godhead.

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Redemption wrote:I had a

Redemption wrote:

I have "faith" that a mustard seed will grow into a mustard plant.  That and 4 bucks will get you a coffee at Starbuck's. 

I have tried to believe.  Many of the atheists on this forum have tried to believe, to have faith, to give ourselves to Jesus - whatever.  Nothing happens.  Pray all you want - nothing - unless you go out and do it yourself.  Evidence?  None, unless you are really, really, good at self deception.  Confirmation bias is all any theist has.  Remember the positive hits, ignore the negative misses.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
User is offlineOffline

Redemption wrote:

I was picking on your view that Satan has basis in the OT as evil. That there was a such thing as original sin, that the originators of the god you hold as real saw these things differently than you as as Christian and Christians have morphed into something else.  You are so far avoiding all of these issues. But I'll give you a little more time.

Redemption wrote:

So are you a minister too?

Once you inject errors in your mental processes,  any delusion is possible.

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Why is God now limiting his

Why is God now limiting his 'proof' to allowing you to have these wonderful feelings or experiences, but only if adopt just the right 'faith'?

According to the Bible he did much more explicit and irrefutable 'miracle' demonstrations back then.

It seems very fishy to me.

The 'faith' inspired experiences are quite consistent with what we know about human psychology, so without some undeniable external demonstration, it is totally irrational to believe in some fantastic super-being which is totally outside any contemporary experience, and wildy beyond any current knowledge of the Universe.

Especially when you look around at the vast variety of beliefs in God, Gods, Spirits, Demons, etc. 

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline

Redemption wrote:

You're welcome. Your spelling may be the only thing I picked on you about but, 3 pages say it is a fact it's not the only thing others have picked on.

Quote:
I know what it means. I've also seen theists toss it out when they can't stand the heat any more and need an excuse for an exit. There is also a verse that says to accept the customs of your host when visiting.

Quote:

Hmmm... being open or, being gullible.

Let me clue you in on something: several years ago I was the most zealot christian you could imagine. I was absolutely convinced that god was not only real but, that I had a personal relationship with said god. This delusion was helpful to me at the time but, since then, I've realized that good and bad things happen as a direct result of the decisions we make. No god required. I broke it off.

There is not now and never was any 'tangible proof that he exists'. It is an illusion created by the mind for various reasons. If it makes you feel good to deny factual scientific evidence and believe in an imaginary being, go for it but, you can't expect everyone else to want to jump on the band wagon with you... especially those of us who have been there, done that, and don't care to go there again.

When you realize that the sun rises and sets just exactly the same whether you believe in a god or, not, and that you are the same person whether you belive in god or, not then you will be ready to give up your delusion.

Stick around here long enough and it will happen.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
So, Redemption, in order for

So, Redemption, in order for you to tell me why your product is worth having I have to buy it?

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline

Redemption wrote:

Still whining, huh?

Is that all you people know how to do, is to contradict yourself at every turn, and then play the victim and make Jeebus sounds?

Redemption wrote:
If I am not welcome I will most certainly go away

Actually, you people are party crashers.

You Judeo Christian clowns don't even have your own act together. How many different incompatible tribes do you have anyway?

Yet you want to attack atheists for not assimilating into 1 of the thousands of rival tribes, and for rejecting 1 additional god delusion, for a full sweep.

When all theists have a unified theory, get back to us, write a book about it, publish it, STFU and accept that a lot of people won't give a shit one way, or the other, and you're just going to have to learn to deal with the fact that others can take it, or leave it.

Redemption wrote:
but isn't this a place where everyone is welcome to debate their beliefs? 

It's a place where people are free to express their opinions, yes. And it works quite well.

Some of us here quite dislike each other, but, do not think the other deserves to burn in a lake of fire for eternity, simply because we dislike them.

Redemption wrote:
Atheist's may yearn for facts of a God ...

Nah.

Big misconception.

You people somehow always default to 'why?'. Like obnoxious children. Why this? Why that?  Why this and not that? Why is this necessary? Why is that necessary? Why is this necessary and not that?" "Why can't it be like this?" Why can't it be like that?" Why can't it be like this and like that?"

"Why are we born?"

"Why do we die?"

"Why did the chicken cross the road?"  "Why is there a chicken?" Why is there a road?" 

"Why, why, why?"

That's some kind of insanity right there... 

Here's a few answers : "Why not?" "Why are you troubled by this?" "Why question it?" "Why not accept it?" "Why not embrace it?" "Why not be content to have the opportunity to enjoy your life for all that it is?" "Why worry about what you cannot change?"

Here's a more important question: "What is the problem?"

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:So,

jcgadfly wrote:

So, Redemption, in order for you to tell me why your product is worth having I have to buy it?

Some fish will bite an empty hook, they can be quite shiny after all.

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
     redneF wrote:...

redneF wrote:

... (good stuff)...

You people somehow always default to 'why?'. Like obnoxious children. Why this? Why that?  Why this and not that? Why is this necessary? Why is that necessary? Why is this necessary and not that?" "Why can't it be like this?" Why can't it be like that?" Why can't it be like this and like that?"

"Why are we born?"

"Why do we die?"

"Why did the chicken cross the road?"  "Why is there a chicken?" Why is there a road?" 

That's some kind of insanity right there... 

Here's a few answers : "Why not?" "Why are you troubled by this?" "Why question it?" "Why not accept it?" "Why not embrace it?" "Why not be content to have the opportunity to enjoy your life for all that it is?" "Why worry about what you cannot change?"

Here's a more important question: "What is the problem?"

That was pretty good, redneF... even if I do dislike you.

That's a big part of the problem - 'god' is THE default answer when there is no other answer to a question... and it is the wrong answer.

If my house gets hit by a tornado tomorrow, it will be because it just happens to be in the path of the storm. The answer from the christian will be 'because you are an atheist and pissed off god'. If it is spared from a tornado, they will say 'god spared you this time but, you'll get it eventually'.  

"Why, why, why?"

ex-minister
atheistHigh Level Moderator
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
Redemption wrote:Time and

Redemption wrote:

Time and time again I face the Inquisition and Crusades as a talking point on the moral bankruptcy of Christianity. This is like saying that because an Indian guy killed an Eskimo all Indians hate Eskimos. I do not condone the actions of the Inquisition or the Crusades that is a point that I will fight till I turn blue in the face. I cannot be held accountable for things other people do in the name of the gospel I can only hold up my end of the bargain and follow the thing that I believe in to my fullest ability. My heart goes out to all of those persecuted by Christians but if you look at the "Christians" in question what attributes of Christ are they showing?

Thou shall know them by their fruits. Don't forget the genocide of the American native Indians by Christians. They truly are following Christ's example. You must believe in Jesus as he says or he will burn you on hell for ETERNITY. They only took their heathen body for not believing in the Lord and Master, but Jesus will take their soul and body and cast them into everlasting fire.

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline

Ciarin wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

No you don't, not from a human rights standpoint. YOU CAN believe what you want and it does not have to be popular.

THAT IS NOT THE ISSUE.

YOU, nor any human who has uttered the claim of a super natural WHATEVER, past or present, monotheist or polytheist, none of you, NO ONE, NO HUMAN EVER

Has ever had the ability to take their deity claim into an unbias setting and have their claims kicked around, an independently tested and falsified and independently verified.

YOU cannot do with your claims what a microscope can do with mitosis. You cannot do with your pet gods claims WHATEVER THEY ARE, what scientists can do with identifying DNA.

You have no evidence for what you personally believe. You have absolutely no way of DEMONSTRATING any sense of credibility for your personal god/s. Certainly by law you don't have to legally prove anything. BUT that is not the issue.

The issue ON ANY CLAIM, even outside the issue of religion, is the ability to demonstrate the credibility of a given claim. THAT IS THE ISSUE, not your human rights.

EVERY BELIEVER, INCLUDING YOU is doing the same thing.

You, "The Chargers won the Super Bowl"

Skeptic, "Bullshit, the Packers did"

You, "I don't have to believe that the Packers won if I don't want to believe that"

YOU CAN BELIEVE THAT YOUR COMPUTER RUNS ON PIXY DUST FOR ALL WE CARE.

The issue is what evidence you would claim to have for such a claim.

This is NOT "NANNY NANNY BOO BOO"

This is a very serious issue on how humans go about finding out how things work. "I like what I believe" is a human rights issue. "How things work" is a pragmatic issue and should not be based on wishful thinking. If you cannot test a claim or falsify it, you can believe it, certainly, but that does not mean you have evidence for what you claim.

The only way humans have collectivelly come to conclusions about how things work, such as biology, technology, space and science is through the universal method of testing and falsification. Making shit up or "I like what I believe" does not constitute evidence.

It is why ALL OF US can know what the sun is really made of instead of falsely thinking it is a god.

It is why you and I can KNOW what DNA IS an can know what rigor mortis is. It is why you and I are typing on computers right now. Your computer does not run on belief in Allah, or Thor. It is because of scientific method you are reading this right now.

Your personal diety belief does not have anywhere close the standards needed to measure reality. It is merely your own wishful thinking.

DO NOT take this personally because this has always been the case with every deity claim in human history.

THIS IS NOT A HUMAN RIGHTS ISSUE,

YOU ARE entitled to your own opinions and beliefs, none of us are entitled to our own facts,

Redemption
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Nah, maybe you need to learn

Nah, maybe you need to learn how to read emotion in writing becuase I was actually being confident and far from whiney.

CHRISTIANS will all have the same basis which is Jesus Christ and that he died for the worlds sins in any group there will be different people with different beliefs about hwo things happen, I had this explained to me that the athiest community is the same way so I will offer you the same advice get your atheist buddies on the same page and then I will give your methods a try.

I never said that you deserve to roast in Hell. You insinuated that because you have heard it from some "religious" old guy and it made you mad. I don't believe anyone deserves to go to Hell, but you will go there if you ignore the things God has told you to do. Just like a mother does not want to punish their child, but will if they disobey.

If you don't ask questions about things how will you ever learn? You tell me to be open and willing to learn, but when I do I can only take what you say as absolute truth? I can't ask questions? How is that insanity?

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ciarin wrote:TGBaker

Ciarin wrote:

TGBaker wrote:

If Henry Ford or the Wright Brothers simply went with this attitude we wouldn't have modern cars or planes.

It once made sense for most of humanity to believe that the earth was flat and it felt right to them. Galileo and Capernicus(sp) come along and upset the apple cart. I am glad they did.

It "made sense" and "felt right" to the Ancient Egyptians to believe that the sun was a god, but that turned out not to be the case.

Your right to believe has nothing to do with your ability to demonstrate the credibility of what comes out of your mouth ON ANY ISSUE.

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
Redemption wrote:Nah, maybe

Redemption wrote:

Nah, maybe you need to learn how to read emotion in writing becuase I was actually being confident and far from whiney.

CHRISTIANS will all have the same basis which is Jesus Christ and that he died for the worlds sins in any group there will be different people with different beliefs about hwo things happen, I had this explained to me that the athiest community is the same way so I will offer you the same advice get your atheist buddies on the same page and then I will give your methods a try.

I never said that you deserve to roast in Hell. You insinuated that because you have heard it from some "religious" old guy and it made you mad. I don't believe anyone deserves to go to Hell, but you will go there if you ignore the things God has told you to do. Just like a mother does not want to punish their child, but will if they disobey.

If you don't ask questions about things how will you ever learn? You tell me to be open and willing to learn, but when I do I can only take what you say as absolute truth? I can't ask questions? How is that insanity?

Do you know what the general description of hell is? Do you understand the concept of eternity? Would anyone deserve to burn to death for an eternity for any "earthly" reason?

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline

Redemption wrote:

You are missing my point again.

I said don't complain. I didn't call you whiny. Although I have called other believers whiny.

SECONDLY I also didn't say you personally said we will roast in hell. But others DO believe that and use the same book you do to justify that. Your beef should be with them, not me.

Personally I think those who DO view their god as vengeful are closer to the words in the bible, than people like you who water it down to make it work. YOU did admit that all of you have the same core belief. Very rare to get that kind of admission from a believer. That is one thing I will give you.

Who said you can't ask questions?

No human has absolute truth. WHAT HUMANS DO HAVE are myths they like believing, and the pragmatic tool of scientific method, which is not mere speculation, but universal. It is why humans have put man on the moon. It is why we have medicine, and cell phones.

Scientific method is not a person, it is a tool. Much like a hammer is a tool, and a construction worker is the person using the tool.

What we are saying what human have which is the best tool we know today to measure reality is through testing and falsification.

Myths, deities, super natural, past or present, monotheist or polytheist, are claims of tradition, not provable facts that can be independently tested and verified.

A myth is merely a dead god once believed to be real. Your personal claim if society seeks to protect it for long, WILL either morph into something else or die and become a myth in the future.

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline

Redemption wrote:

Nah, maybe you need to learn how to read emotion in writing because I was actually being confident and far from whiney.

CHRISTIANS will all have the same basis which is Jesus Christ and that he died for the worlds sins in any group there will be different people with different beliefs about hwo things happen, I had this explained to me that the atheist community is the same way so I will offer you the same advice get your atheist buddies on the same page and then I will give your methods a try.

Can I get back to the OP for a moment... 'Atheism the easy way out'?

Easy way out of what? Living?

You know, most rational, logical people will find the 'easiest' and most efficient way of doing something.

Let's say I want to get from point A to point B and there is a devise called Map Quest that will give me a map and directions for getting to my destination, in the most efficient, direct route. If I want to take the logical route, say I-40 to I-95, I'm not going to turn off an exit and go through all the little towns in between to get there. If you call that taking the easy way, I'd have to agree. No one in their right mind would intentionally make things more difficult than they need to be.

Here's an analogy:

Okay, I have my map, I'm driving down the Interstate, I know where I want to go and how to get there.

There is some guy standing on the side of the road with a detour sign, pointing up. You stop and talk to him and he says, 'If you want to get to Heaven and live for all eternity with god, you have to follow my road map and my directions.'

You ask for evidence of this god - there is none. You ask for evidence of this place called Heaven - there is none. You ask why you should want to go to this place and he shows you a book, supposedly written by this god, and it describes a vengeful, narcissistic, egotistical sadistic character.

Now, I ask you, Who in their right mind would deviate from their current 'easy' path to follow you?

Answer: Those who are lost!

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline

Redemption wrote:

Your confident?

No. You're not.

You're confused. Conflicted. And a liar.

I pointed that out, clearly, and you won't acknowledge it.

Which makes you deluded.

Redemption wrote:
CHRISTIANS will all have the same basis which is Jesus Christ

Do your homework. The Jesus myth is a fabrication.

Redemption wrote:
I will offer you the same advice get your atheist buddies on the same page and then I will give your methods a try.

You need to grab a clue.

I even gave you a link to understand that you people are a subset of the superset of atheists.

Atheists are not a 'homogenous' group, but a 'heterogeneous' superset.

You people are just inclined to 'see' correlations and things that aren't there.

There's different categories of those kinds of prejudices, like 'Confirmation Bias' and 'Fundamental Attribution Error'.

Redemption wrote:
I never said that you deserve to roast in Hell.

Guilty conscience?

Did I allege that it was something you said?...

Redemption wrote:
You insinuated that because you have heard it from some "religious" old guy

No.

I said it because it's part and parcel of your cult's dogma.

Redemption wrote:
and it made you mad.

No.

I think it's stupid and obnoxious.

Redemption wrote:
I don't believe anyone deserves to go to Hell

So you're going against your personal morals? You don't align with your God, yet you won't stand up to him?

What kind of a man are you?

Redemption wrote:
but you will go there if you ignore the things God has told you to do.

You're projecting.

I'm not insane. I don't hear voices telling me what to do, and what not to do.

I do as I please.

Redemption wrote:
Just like a mother does not want to punish their child, but will if they disobey.

Well, if she tried to punish me for eternity, I'd do no different that anyone else who tried to abuse me. I'd stop them by any means necessary.

Redemption wrote:
If you don't ask questions about things how will you ever learn?

Have you always had comprehension problems?

Asking 'what' is (x), and 'how' does (x) work, is natural.

Asking 'why' (x), and 'why' does (x) behave as it does, is anthropomorphism and is psychologically tied to narcissim.

Asking 'what' water is, is dispassionate inquiry. Asking what the mechanisms and forces are, that form the molecule from the atoms, is a dispassionate inquiry.

Asking 'why' the atoms become joined, is 'projecting' and 'inducing' that there is some 'reason', or some 'function', which is anthropomorphism.

Redemption wrote:
You tell me to be open and willing to learn, but when I do I can only take what you say as absolute truth?

The fact that you're a theist, and very conflicted between what is compatible with reality, clearly demonstrates a problem with a distorted perception of reality.

Not to mention the fact that you openly lie (and I've already pointed those out) about your intentions and motives, makes you a person of very low integrity and dubious authenticity.

You've demonstrated that you disagree that people should 'roast in hell', yet you obviously are willing to compromise your ethics and condone anyone who would be in charge of that, as long as it gets you a pass into their eternal playground in another world.

That's pretty gutless and selfish.

So, I ask again, what kind of a man are you?

Because you're no man I'd admire, or aspire to be like.

I have better morals and ethics than you or your idol.

If the world is as you believe it to be, I'll take my chances with not going to heaven. I couldn't respect myself if I resembled you or your idol.

Redemption
Theist
User is offlineOffline
In my response to you I go

In my response to you I go about answering and countering your stance in a methodical way, so I suggest that you don't say things that you don't want countered.. How do you expect anything to ever get accomplished if you want to bog the conversation down with your rants about how I am gutless and contradictory? I never anywhere said that people do not get sent to Hell. I would never say that because there are around 100,000 that die every day and spend eternity there. Simply what I said is, I don't feel like anyone deserves that, but my Bible tells me that "the wages of sin are death" this is a physical death but is also a spiritual death and I have previously stated that I believe the Bible is infallible. I think this point has been discussed enough and I personally have nothing more to say unless you would like to rant some more. Personally I do not care in the least that you do not like me or aspire to be like me, I have compassion for you all the same, so I will be here to answer your rants as long as you spout them from that silly little skull avatar of yours.

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
You cannot justifiably, and

You cannot justifiably, and with certainty, claim that the Bible is infallible, without being infallible yourself.

Which you are not.

Most of Genesis contradicts all kinds of things we have come to know with a high degree of confidence, and some of it is inconsistent. Therefore is no way an honest, informed and educated person could justify claiming the book is infallible.

It didn't even get its own predictions of a saviour right.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
Redemption wrote:In my

Redemption wrote:

In my response to you I go about answering and countering your stance in a methodical way,

Well, you're shitty at dialogue, so stop posturing that you're methodical or disciplined in any way. You're not.

You're a garden variety, scatterbrained theist.

Redemption wrote:
so I suggest that you

Fuck you.

I'm not your dog, so STFU with superiority complex.

Redemption wrote:
don't say things that you don't want countered..

I've been clobbering you with your own stupidty, since you got here. You haven't countered yet. You just go off on a tangent and monologue.

Redemption wrote:
  How do you expect anything to ever get accomplished if you want to bog the conversation down with your rants about how I am gutless and contradictory?

Ummm, I guess you aren't aware that demonstrating how gutless and contradictory you are is actually a 'key' accomplishment...

Redemption wrote:
I never anywhere said that people do not get sent to Hell.

I never discussed that, because that's another topic.

Redemption wrote:
Simply what I said is, I don't feel like anyone deserves that

And that's the topic I addressed. So why the red herring?

Because, like I said, you're a misleading, dishonest person.

Garden variety theist.

You twist something into a red herring, so you can try and segue seamlessly into an opportunity to give a sermon.

You people are pathetic.

I've got your act, down pat.

STFU with your fantasy world meme where thousands of 'sinners' are cast into hell for their behaviours, and for not becoming automatons and slaves to mythical gods.

If someone were to attempt to spout these nighmares to my kids, their motherfucking hell would be right here on earth.

You people need to learn to watch your fucking mouths. We've tolerated your sick fantasies long enough.

Stop making enemies...

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline
Redemption ...I have a

Redemption ...I have a degree in Bible and I can tell you it is not infallible, not inerrant and heavily fabricated.  Many of us here know that. If you want to talk about your faith and it is bible based and dependent then you need to overcome the fact that you are talking to people that see the bible as nothing but a collection of primitive anthropology and superstition and myth.