Secularism!!!

forumworker5
Posts: 1
Joined: 2011-03-29
User is offlineOffline
Secularism!!!

Hey

Is secularism a wise thing for the coming generations ?

Thanks


Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
Sapient's picture
Posts: 7530
Joined: 2006-04-18
User is offlineOffline
 Of course!  We're well on

 Of course!  We're well on our way.

- Brian Sapient


Buy popular atheist books and support the Rational Response Squad at the same time on Amazon.


Cpt_pineapple
atheist
Cpt_pineapple's picture
Posts: 5487
Joined: 2007-04-12
User is offlineOffline
Yes, however I don't think

Yes, however I don't think secularism necessarily means "wise", but I do know that Religious does necessarily mean "unwise".

 

 

 


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13835
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
I am not sure how you in the

I am not sure how you in the original question are defining secularism.

"Secularism" is the opposite of "sectarian". "Sectarian" means of a specific sect. "Secularism" is merely the application of pluralism to government neutrality in government law and government venues.

"Secularism" as falsely defined by the right wing fundies in America, means anti-religion. Which is not what secularism is.

www.au.org is a multi-religious organization that promotes secularism. It is not anti-religion. It is pro neutrality and pro pluralism.

If you want examples of what a non-secular government looks like, China is ruled by one sect of political party, and Iran is ruled by one sect of religion.

Secularism is good for society. It is a falsely slandered word and if the idiots who do this lived in China or Iran they would be crying for their mommy to be back under our secular government.

 

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
Posts: 3730
Joined: 2008-09-12
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the

Welcome to the forum.

forumworker5 wrote:
Is secularism a wise thing for the coming generations ?

Thanks

Yes.

 

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare


Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
Posts: 2406
Joined: 2008-03-25
User is onlineOnline
Great idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!

forumworker5 wrote:

Hey

Is secularism a wise thing for the coming generations ?

Thanks

   

 

 

                    Canada is secular.   We have a full blown federal election going on,    with no religion involved  and no one has noticed, so far.   Least of all Americans;   why would that be important to America?    Well Canada's banking laws {far different then US of A's} is decided by who ever becomes PM of Canada.     How does that affect America?  Americas banking laws sent American banks into the red and the banks and mortgage co. went belly up, only to be baught up by Canadian banks.    Don't believe me;   look around your hometowns and see the new logos on your local banks.   TDBank, BOM, Scotiabank, HSBC , TDAmeritrade,    GMVisa,  GMAC..... those are all Canadian Banks.   Believe itor not!   So if the next generation wants to buy a house in the U.S. of A., eh?  Your going to have to get permission from Bay Street (Toronto) by way of Ottawa.   Canada is so dull I bet you wont even notice while it happens.

 

 

                   Canada is takeing over so quietly I bet you didn't notice the General in command of NATO forces over Libya is a Canadian 3 star from Quebec, I dare anyone with a world view to name him.

 

 

               

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?


Thunderios
atheist
Posts: 261
Joined: 2010-12-26
User is offlineOffline
One day a guy was having a

One day a guy was having a presentation about the moral implications of Evolution at school. Of course, I argued with him about that.
I asked him the question whether he would want to live under a secular democracy (a democracy HAS to be secular, unless everybody in the country is in the same sect, so it's kind of a tautology) or a christian theocracy.
He doubted, but eventually chose the theocracy, because he was defending the Bible, and attacking reason.

But I wonder how many Christians would agree with him. We should poll it, or something.
*makes an account at a christian site*


Ktulu
atheist
Posts: 1830
Joined: 2010-12-21
User is offlineOffline
Jeffrick

Jeffrick wrote:

                    Canada is secular.   We have a full blown federal election going on,    with no religion involved  and no one has noticed, so far.   Least of all Americans;   why would that be important to America?    Well Canada's banking laws {far different then US of A's} is decided by who ever becomes PM of Canada.     How does that affect America?  Americas banking laws sent American banks into the red and the banks and mortgage co. went belly up, only to be baught up by Canadian banks.    Don't believe me;   look around your hometowns and see the new logos on your local banks.   TDBank, BOM, Scotiabank, HSBC , TDAmeritrade,    GMVisa,  GMAC..... those are all Canadian Banks.   Believe itor not!   So if the next generation wants to buy a house in the U.S. of A., eh?  Your going to have to get permission from Bay Street (Toronto) by way of Ottawa.   Canada is so dull I bet you wont even notice while it happens.

                    Canada is takeing over so quietly I bet you didn't notice the General in command of NATO forces over Libya is a Canadian 3 star from Quebec, I dare anyone with a world view to name him.

Go Canada!, we're taking over politely.  Smiling 

I'm from near Hamilton here, where from?

"Don't seek these laws to understand. Only the mad can comprehend..." -- George Cosbuc


Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
Posts: 2406
Joined: 2008-03-25
User is onlineOnline
Ktulu wrote:Jeffrick

Ktulu wrote:

Jeffrick wrote:

                    Canada is secular.   We have a full blown federal election going on,    with no religion involved  and no one has noticed, so far.   Least of all Americans;   why would that be important to America?    Well Canada's banking laws {far different then US of A's} is decided by who ever becomes PM of Canada.     How does that affect America?  Americas banking laws sent American banks into the red and the banks and mortgage co. went belly up, only to be baught up by Canadian banks.    Don't believe me;   look around your hometowns and see the new logos on your local banks.   TDBank, BOM, Scotiabank, HSBC , TDAmeritrade,    GMVisa,  GMAC..... those are all Canadian Banks.   Believe itor not!   So if the next generation wants to buy a house in the U.S. of A., eh?  Your going to have to get permission from Bay Street (Toronto) by way of Ottawa.   Canada is so dull I bet you wont even notice while it happens.

                    Canada is takeing over so quietly I bet you didn't notice the General in command of NATO forces over Libya is a Canadian 3 star from Quebec, I dare anyone with a world view to name him.

Go Canada!, we're taking over politely.  Smiling 

I'm from near Hamilton here, where from?

[/quote

                       Hwy 10  & Egliington in Mississauga,  or just off the Hurontario exit of the 403.  I voting Harper, how about you?

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?


Ktulu
atheist
Posts: 1830
Joined: 2010-12-21
User is offlineOffline
Jeffrick

Jeffrick wrote:

                       Hwy 10  & Egliington in Mississauga,  or just off the Hurontario exit of the 403.  I voting Harper, how about you?

Past Hamilton, towards Niagara, Off 50 road.  Ya, Harper seems our best bet... I would like more daycare support, but you can't please them all.

"Don't seek these laws to understand. Only the mad can comprehend..." -- George Cosbuc