Giving Food to Church

PosingOwl
PosingOwl's picture
User is offlineOffline
Giving Food to Church

Hey Everyone,

I just signed up, intro is in intro post.... I would really like to get your opinions on a subject thats been bothering me for a few weeks....

If you had canned foods or other non-perishable items would you give them to a church to help feed the hungry or would you go out of your way to find a homeless shelter....

I think I would just give it to the church since it is for a good cause.... Do morals come into play or does Atheism vs Religion come into play? Please I would love to hear your feedback on this matter....

Thanks,

PosingOwl

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline
redneF wrote:Jean Chauvin

redneF wrote:

Jean Chauvin wrote:

II Tim 2:15 says we need to rightly divide. That was before the law.

It was before science too. Now, we have test tube babies.

I gave to a sperm bank when I was in my 20's after a serious motorcycle accident. What a great way to make sure my genes would get passed on, if I never lived to make a baby personally.

Jean Chauvin wrote:
It has to do with directives and directions.

Are those euphemisms for being a sexually repressed and dysfunctional bigot?

You learn something new everyday!

If you are making a point about trying to justify that fact that you are disgusting fag, then read Romand 1:18-25. Here we see fags being like dogs and very evil. We also see homosexual references throughout the New Testament.

Jean Chauvin wrote:
You are fility, dirty, and disgusting.

Don't knock it till you try it.

Who's being ignorant now, Jean Jean?

HI dude I'm back what is the score. Can I play too

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whip cream."--Frank Zappa

http://atheisticgod.blogspot.com/ Books on atheism

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
TG!My brother from another

TG!

My brother from another mother! 

Hope you are feeling better, my friend. I'm sure others missed you as much as I did.

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline
redneF wrote:TG!My brother

redneF wrote:

TG!

Hope you are feeling better, my friend. I'm sure others missed you as much as I did.

Don't let them tell you that chemo ain't a bitch. She has frickin' teeth too.  If I make this round we gotta jam. The oxi and the tramadol is a help though.

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whip cream."--Frank Zappa

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline
PosingOwl wrote:Hey

PosingOwl wrote:

Hey Everyone,

I just signed up, intro is in intro post.... I would really like to get your opinions on a subject thats been bothering me for a few weeks....

If you had canned foods or other non-perishable items would you give them to a church to help feed the hungry or would you go out of your way to find a homeless shelter....

I think I would just give it to the church since it is for a good cause.... Do morals come into play or does Atheism vs Religion come into play? Please I would love to hear your feedback on this matter....

Thanks,

PosingOwl

Why would you give it to a church which would be less moral by default than a secular organization?  Christians would not want to feed certain groups of people or if they did they would put conditions on the feeding. I did a minor in missions at a Jesus Place. Gotta sit through a sermon for the food.

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
TGBaker wrote:redneF

TGBaker wrote:

redneF wrote:

TG!

Don't let them tell you that chemo ain't a bitch. She has frickin' teeth too.  If I make this round we gotta jam. The oxi and the tramadol is a help though.

I'm glad that you found us, and I'm even more glad that you could be here with us again, brother, while you are fighting.

You are a true warrior, my friend. A giant to overcome the forces that tried to cage your mind, and now that try and weaken your body.

"Fight the good fight" my brother.

One of the best versions you will ever hear of this song, live:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7goTCQgmNLQ

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline
redneF wrote:TGBaker

redneF wrote:

TGBaker wrote:

redneF wrote:

TG!

I'm glad that you found us, and I'm even more glad that you could be here with us again, brother, while you are fighting.

You are a true warrior, my friend. A giant to overcome the forces that tried to cage your mind, and now that try and weaken your body.

"Fight the good fight" my brother.

One of the best versions you will ever hear of this song, live:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7goTCQgmNLQ

Hey that's like twin sons of different mother's by fogleberg.  was that a hollow body Yahama electric. I always wanted the artisan like that,  Great live version thanks dude

TRBB
atheist
TRBB's picture
User is offlineOffline
PosingOwl wrote:Hey

PosingOwl wrote:

Hey Everyone,

Thanks,

PosingOwl

While I would much prefer to donate to a secular organisation myself, I have no problem donating to, or accepting donations from, a church if that is all that is available (I regularly donate to a Catholic run charity store, after all). One way or another, people gotta eat, get clothes, or whatever. I'm more about helping someone in need than anything.

"TRBB - Changing the attitude of the forums one thread at a time." - KSti

"Relax." - Frankie

World of Fizz

albedo_00
albedo_00's picture
User is offlineOffline
To the OP's question:If it

To the OP's question:

If it was food, clothes or any other essential other than money, yeah, I would donate to a church if it was either the only choice or if the church could provide any evidence that they are more efficient and honest than any other charity available, which I have actually, since the former padre at the local church was a rather sweet man, who allowed the handling of the resources collected by his church open to review for anyone (as a fun fact, he was the guy who baptised me).   

The current guy however, he likes his silver more, and openly favors cash donations instead of the actual goods. Funny that.

Jean Chauvin wrote:

Hi OP,

As a consistent atheist, you cannot do this. You must think of yourself. You cannot take care of your cute kid in the picture. You must leave  your family and do all kinds of immoral acts.

But if you do give food, you are doing it for selfish reasons.

The only person who can give food or charity for good reasons is if you're a Christian. See, it's like what 100% atheist said, throw it away.

And suddenly, right from reality, down came evidence to blow unsubstantiated assertions clear out of the water!

http://www.foundationbeyondbelief.org/

http://earthward.org/index.shtml

http://www.engenderhealth.org/our-work/

http://www.atheistcentre.in/default.html

http://www.atheistshelpingthehomeless.org/

https://secure.americanhumanist.org/SSLPage.aspx?pid=288

Feel the evidence, Jean, feel it! Feel it burn!

Jean Chauvin wrote:

Hopefully, while you're on this site, you will become a better atheist and eventually be a deadbeat dad. Once you do this, you've reached atheism heaven.

So let me get this straight, you admittedly hope that he becomes a neglectful father, to the very detriment of his family, just to see your point proven, his child be damned?

Please tell us this was just a failed attempt to tax your caveman mindset into producing humor, otherwise, you could be dangerously close to the definition of sociopathy.  

And regarding that whole gay guy thing, hi, I'm gay too, and I've had the most wonderful relationship with my boyfriend of 4 years now, who has taught me just how much I could love another human being, and made my life better in inconmensurable ways.

The reason I bring this up is to ask you a question: Is your mental conditioning so deeply rooted that you can't see, even for a moment, the happiness of a couple you frown upon, when they do the simplest of things as looking at each other and smiling at who they see, perhaps even share it or feel good for them?

If you can't, well, you're one sorry bastard, and I would pity you if you weren't so death set in appearing as contemptible you do.

Now if you excuse me, I've got someone I would like to make a bit happier with a snuggling hug

Lenore, The Cute Little Dead Girl. Twice as good as Jesus.

Qualinesta
atheist
Qualinesta's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jean Chauvin wrote:Hi

Jean Chauvin wrote:

Hi CJ,

Exhibit E. = An atheist liking a fag avatar.

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).

What a coincidence, as my first impression of YOUR avatar was that it was someone supporting himself against the wall while being sucked off by a dude in an alley (what with the pensive way he's looking over his shoulder to see if anyone (else) is coming).

Ciarin
Theist
Ciarin's picture
User is offlineOffline
Qualinesta wrote:Jean

Qualinesta wrote:

Jean Chauvin wrote:

Hi CJ,

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).

What a coincidence, as my first impression of YOUR avatar was that it was someone supporting himself against the wall while being sucked off by a dude in an alley (what with the pensive way he's looking over his shoulder to see if anyone (else) is coming).

I don't recall that scene in "Luther".

Qualinesta
atheist
Qualinesta's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ciarin wrote:I don't recall

Ciarin wrote:

Never heard of it...

Ciarin
Theist
Ciarin's picture
User is offlineOffline
Qualinesta wrote:Ciarin

Qualinesta wrote:

Ciarin wrote:

Never heard of it...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0309820/

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Qualinesta wrote:Jean

Qualinesta wrote:

Jean Chauvin wrote:

Hi CJ,

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).

ROFL, now that you mention it, I see it too.

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

Ciarin
Theist
Ciarin's picture
User is offlineOffline
Weird how people see what

Weird how people see what they want to see.

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
@OP:  Well, I suppose I'd

@OP:  Well, I suppose I'd have to do a little bit of cost/benefit analysis.  I'd want to know what level of need there was in an area and how the particular church distributes their stuff, then compare it to the additional cost of going to a secular charity (and I'd need to know how efficient both the church and the secular charity were).

A lot of times Catholic charities are very secular, the Catholics have lots of very good services that aren't tied directly to preaching.  If there was high need and the church ran things fairly cleanly I wouldn't have any big qualms about donation.  All things being equal I'd support the secular place, but things aren't usually equal.

So I'm with cj on this one.  I'm not too militant or proud to use religious organizations if it makes the most sense from my secular perspective.  I'd be a total ass if I was responsible for a kid going hungry because of my pride.

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.

Ciarin
Theist
Ciarin's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Everything makes more

Quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfUYuIVbFg0

Jean Chauvin
Theistard
Jean Chauvin's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hi Albed

Hi Albed,

You're a fag too? Exhibit G. The more you know about atheists lives, the more absurd and disgusting they are realized. Atheism is everything immoral, disgusting and filthy. I have gotten an A - G analysis in 2 days.

Look, I want you guys to be the best atheists you can be. That includes being a dead beat dad, and murdering your family, along with going nutty nuts in an institution. If you are not doing this, you suck at being an atheist.

So since you suck so bad at being an atheist, trust in Jesus, repent for your nutty nuts behavior, and thus Jesus will help you not be so disgusting and nuts.

Otherwise, be the best atheist you can be and start running from the law. If you turn yourself in, that means you have a conscience which is inconsistent atheism.

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).

A Rational Christian of Intelligence (rare)with a valid and sound justification for my epistemology and a logical refutation for those with logical fallacies and false worldviews upon their normative of thinking in retrospect to objective normative(s). This is only understood via the imago dei in which we all are.

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).

Qualinesta
atheist
Qualinesta's picture
User is offlineOffline
(No subject)

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Ciarin

Ciarin wrote:

Quote:

Haha!  That's a great song.  I like the Glee version better though.

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Ciarin

Ciarin wrote:

Quote:

You know, even God hates the Horde.

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Jean Chauvin wrote:Of course

Jean Chauvin wrote:

Of course you're going to say I lost because I am your enemy and you wouldn't know the truth if it did a combination upper cut, jab, jab knee to the groin at you.

LMAO, ok, that was funny, I actually spit coffee when I read that. Smiling lol... man, you crack me me up Jean

"Don't seek these laws to understand. Only the mad can comprehend..." -- George Cosbuc

White Swallow
atheist
White Swallow's picture
User is offlineOffline
B166ER wrote:White Swallow

B166ER wrote:
White Swallow wrote:
Therefore Gen 30 is making a scientifically false claim.

Either you accept this patently false claim made by the Bible to remain consistent in trusting the Bible as a source of knowledge about the world, or you reject it;, and if you do reject the claim made in Gen 30, then you need to explain what your criteria is for accepting some parts of the Bible as true and other parts as false. Failure to do so identifies you as a cherry picking Christian who relies on established scientific facts as more authoritative than what the Bible says. And in which case, you paint yourself into the corner of having to agree that the Bible carries no weight as a source in the manner you used it in your first reply to Red in this thread. Sticking out tongue

Good luck on getting Jean to admit that one of the many obviously false claims the "Holy" Babble makes is false. I've been pestering him on quite a few of them for a while, like the claims that bats are fowl (Lev. 11:13-19), rabbits chew cud (Lev. 11:6), or that a tree, even in a dream, could be tall enough to see from the whole world, which would depend on a flat earth (Dan. 4:20). He still has yet to answer, since he knows these are obviously wrong, which would mean that his bully club handbook is wrong and that his belief in them shows a extreme gullibility on the verge of childhood naivete.

Oh that's a shame. One wonders why you guys haven't shipped him down to Trollville then if he isn't capable of, or willing to engage in, genuine discussion.

Maybe he just needs educating?

Jean love: if you're reading this, the following might help you, dear:

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
White Swallow,

How very refreshing.  Logical, concise, no crossed lines! 

Too bad more people don't follow it - though I confess to occasionally crossing over into "it's not a discussion" territory myself.  I try to curb my enthusiasm.....

edit: PS: If you are the author, I'm impressed.  If you found it somewhere else, its great that you found it.  May I use it elsewhere?  Not on this forum as I wouldn't want to steal your thunder.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

White Swallow
atheist
White Swallow's picture
User is offlineOffline
cj wrote:edit: PS: If you

cj wrote:
edit: PS: If you are the author, I'm impressed.  If you found it somewhere else, its great that you found it.  May I use it elsewhere?  Not on this forum as I wouldn't want to steal your thunder.

Someone posted it on the AN; feel free to use it as you wish, it has been doing the rounds on the internet, fab piece of work that it is.

And I've no issue with you using it on here either, dear. Far from it. Smiling

Qualinesta
atheist
Qualinesta's picture
User is offlineOffline
White Swallow wrote:One

White Swallow wrote:
One wonders why you guys haven't shipped him down to Trollville then if he isn't capable of, or willing to engage in, genuine discussion.

I'm pretty sure it's just a caricature for entertainment purposes...

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
White Swallow wrote:cj

White Swallow wrote:

cj wrote:

Someone posted it on the AN; feel free to use it as you wish, it has been doing the rounds on the internet, fab piece of work that it is.

I really like it, thumbs up!

"Don't seek these laws to understand. Only the mad can comprehend..." -- George Cosbuc

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Qualinesta wrote:White

Qualinesta wrote:

White Swallow wrote:
One wonders why you guys haven't shipped him down to Trollville then if he isn't capable of, or willing to engage in, genuine discussion.

Pretty much.

Although if he keeps pushing the fag thing and attacking Brian37 so personally he'll probably get put there at some point.  Personal attacks will get people locked into the troll forum, so will spamming and copy-paste, but just acting like a loon won't.  So far he's been so over the top and funny about it no-one's really brought it up.

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
 The gay bashing thing is

The gay bashing thing is the first time that he actually got some reaction out of me, though I'm used to religious nuts being homophobic, my best friend is gay and he's had to deal with some of that shit first hand.  It's still just talk, but it makes me feel a bit like kicking him in the teeth... just a little.

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
White Swallow wrote:cj

White Swallow wrote:

cj wrote:

Thanks.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ktulu wrote: The gay

Ktulu wrote:

The gay bashing thing is the first time that he actually got some reaction out of me, though I'm used to religious nuts being homophobic, my best friend is gay and he's had to deal with some of that shit first hand.  It's still just talk, but it makes me feel a bit like kicking him in the teeth... just a little.

Gay bashing has become de rigueur amongst the so-called christians.  It would be perfectly within character if he is a poe.  I'm not into bashing people for any reason except deliberate ignorance.

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
Qualinesta wrote:I'm pretty

Qualinesta wrote:

Well, he doesn't have any marketable skills.

Unless the ability to covert oxygen to carbon dioxide, has become a commodity...

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
redneF wrote:Qualinesta

redneF wrote:

Qualinesta wrote:

Well, he doesn't have any marketable skills.

Unless the ability to covert oxygen to carbon dioxide, has become a commodity...

I hear vegetables are always looking for a good carbon dioxide producer.  They would be on the same wavelength intellectually also. 

albedo_00
albedo_00's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ktulu wrote: The gay

Ktulu wrote:

Meh, I'm pretty much used to it by now, but then again, I don't get a lot of it in real life since the only people who know are my parents and friends. Besides, internet insults loose much of their weight after a while, specially when the one hurling them is so inconsequential as our respectful Jean here, who is either just a poe or is simply a fully realized product of his beliefs.

Lenore, The Cute Little Dead Girl. Twice as good as Jesus.

Ciarin
Theist
Ciarin's picture
User is offlineOffline
and the thread is about jean

and the thread is about jean now rather than donations of food.

/annoyed

PosingOwl
PosingOwl's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ciarin wrote:and the thread

Ciarin wrote:

/annoyed

I dont mind, made up my mind about it a few days ago.... Love to see people going back and forth....

Qualinesta
atheist
Qualinesta's picture
User is offlineOffline

Ciarin wrote:

/annoyed

No, the thread is about donations of food and we happen to be talking about Jean. If you have something to add to the discussion about donations of food in this thread I would encourage you to do so.

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline

Ciarin wrote:

/annoyed

Jean is the thread stealing ninja. Smiling

Ciarin
Theist
Ciarin's picture
User is offlineOffline

Qualinesta wrote:

Ciarin wrote:

/annoyed

No, the thread is about donations of food and we happen to be talking about Jean. If you have something to add to the discussion about donations of food in this thread I would encourage you to do so.

It's on the first page before Jean's attention whoring.

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline

Qualinesta wrote:

Ciarin wrote:

/annoyed

She's a self appointed 'fresh air inspector'.

Not being called upon, never stops them.

And paradoxically, they can't smell their own 'stink'...

snug
User is offlineOffline
markers

I think if your going to give your canned goods to a church at least write on the labels "god free" or anything. This way the people receiving this dont thing that the church and god fearing people are donating all of these foods.

quote=PosingOwl]

Hey Everyone,

Thanks,

PosingOwl

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline
My "minimum requirements"

My "minimum requirements" when donating to =any= charitable organization is that they accept all comers, regardless of race, color, creed, national origin =or= religion.  The only thing that should matter is =need=.

That said, my #1 recipient of charitable giving is a Christian organization (I'm not a Christian) and the last time I hooked up with a group whose name indicated they were a religious organization it was Associated Catholic Charities (I've never been a Catholic).

Within the Christian group I give time to, there have been Atheists who've tried to get the group to be more "Atheist friendly" (or whatever ...) but with so many non-Christians in the group, they have a very weak argument that it is, in fact, even a Christian charity to begin with ...

"Obviously I'm convinced of the existence of G-d. I'm equally convinced that Atheists who've led good lives will be in Olam HaBa going "How the heck did I wind up in this place?!?" while Christians who've treated people like dirt will be in some other place asking the exact same question."