God may hate you!

Jean Chauvin
Theistard
Jean Chauvin's picture
User is offlineOffline
God may hate you!

Hello,

Many wimpy Christians today tell people that God loves everybody. God is a flower child and puts tulips in guns. If you don't like God, He sits outside your door like a pussy cat, scrathing your door until you let Him in. Jesus has long hair like Fabio and may be a homosexural in San Francisco.

This is NOT the Biblical Jesus. If Jesus was wanting to come in your door, He'd kick it down.

God does not love everybody. He hated Esau (Romans 9:13). John 3:16 is not about the whole planet world, but only His elect in the world.

So you filthy no good immoral atheists are actually possibly hated by God. You think you hate Him? His hate is a righteous hate. And He will throw you in flames forever. You will be tortured soon enough.

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).

God Loves Me, but He may Hate You!

A Rational Christian of Intelligence (rare)with a valid and sound justification for my epistemology and a logical refutation for those with logical fallacies and false worldviews upon their normative of thinking in retrospect to objective normative(s). This is only understood via the imago dei in which we all are.

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).

Jean Chauvin
Theistard
Jean Chauvin's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hey JCG

Hey JCG,

E.W. Bullinger - Figures of Speech. A very common reference work.

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).

A Rational Christian of Intelligence (rare)with a valid and sound justification for my epistemology and a logical refutation for those with logical fallacies and false worldviews upon their normative of thinking in retrospect to objective normative(s). This is only understood via the imago dei in which we all are.

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
That book is a beast - any

That book is a beast - any particular area I should look at first?

Jean Chauvin
Theistard
Jean Chauvin's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hi JCG

Hi JCG,

Yes, look under anthropomorphism, Zoomorphism, personification, etc. I

I challenged Gregory Boyd to a debate one time regarding this. He is an Open Theist Pastor in Minesotta I think and a professor at Bethel Seminary or Bible College.

His assistant said no while they ran away like little girls.

Open Theism believes that there is no such thing as future. Only past and present. So God did repent and does plan things. He wakes up, tells the Holy Spirit, Wakey Wakey, Eggs and Bakey, and gets dressed, and becomes God from 9-5. Though He is the smartest mathematician according to Boyd, so His predictions are something one can depend on, but they are not absolute.

Greg Boyd is a heretic and a pagan going to hell.

Anyway, my point is that this mistake happens a lot. People don't know anything about Figures of Speech.

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
That's Boyd's version. For

That's Boyd's version. For the most part Open Theism agrees with your view (which disagrees with Christianity and Calvinism).

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jean, in what sense do we

Jean, in what sense do we have 'the likeness of God'?

Curious, since you claim your whole belief system is based on this phrase,

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

Jean Chauvin
Theistard
Jean Chauvin's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hi Bob

Hi Bob,

You didn't confirm or deny my comment about you being bound by nature and thus forced to be an atheist.

We are in the image of God in the sense of our Spirit. And our Reason, Logic, In our ability to know (e.g right or wrong). But etc. But dominately it is due to our nepheesh (Hebrew), or psyche (Greek). Our fact that we have a soul separates us from the animals. 

Have you ever seen an ape do geometry or have narrative? No.  

Obviously God wasn't talking about pysical traits. We are His children. Thus:

Tabala Rasa is false. We are born with certain traits similar to God's image. More could be said.

But after the fall, this image was obviously mess up badly. It's still there in you, though very messed up. Thus, only in Christ can re restore that image.

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Isn't the soul simply

Isn't the soul simply Platonism sneaking in?

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jean Chauvin wrote:Hi

Jean Chauvin wrote:

Hi Bob,

You didn't confirm or deny my comment about you being bound by nature and thus forced to be an atheist.

I answered that in one of your other threads, the 'FREE WILL' one, which is a more appropriate context.

Quote:

We are in the image of God in the sense of our Spirit. And our Reason, Logic, In our ability to know (e.g right or wrong). But etc. But dominately it is due to our nepheesh (Hebrew), or psyche (Greek). Our fact that we have a soul separates us from the animals. 

But it very specifically uses words referring to physical appearance. It is you who are interpreting into metaphorically.

Quote:

Two errors here. Geometry can be done by computers - it is not relevant, it is a formalized description of an aspect of perceived reality. 

It does require a certain level of intelligence, but if you are claiming intelligence and imagination are factors in which we 'resemble' God, you have a problem. Many creatures display a significant level of intelligence.

Apes, and several other higher social species have demonstrated a sense of fairness, compassion, altruism, of self.

So they all, to varying extents, resemble that aspect of God. Clearly we do not share the identical level and nature of God's qualities, so we are not made in the IMAGE of God in that sense. But if you are saying we share God's attributes in a more limited sense, so do those other creatures.

Quote:

Obviously God wasn't talking about physical traits. We are His children. Thus:

Tabala Rasa is false. We are born with certain traits similar to God's image. More could be said.

Many, tho not all, Atheists would agree with you about 'Tabula Rasa', including Stephen Pinker. Don't you mean 'similar to God's", or "similar to those of God"? Adding the word 'image' doesn't actually make sense.

But other creatures also show many of those traits to varying degrees, so it is a bit vague without more qualification.

Quote:

But after the fall, this image was obviously mess up badly. It's still there in you, though very messed up. Thus, only in Christ can re restore that image.

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).

But we still have those qualities you gave as examples. So are you saying we would be 'restored' to be the equal of God in those aspects? So their would be umm, what was it, 144,001 'Gods'?

Or are there some other qualities we lost in the 'fall'? Such as?

Or perhaps we gained some qualities that God does not possess, such as a sense of fairness, the idea that any system of law should have an appeal system, that if punishment is applied it should be proportionate and not delayed, unlike the Hell scenario.

Any finite 'moral' or legal rulesets are inevitably going to lead to undecidable scenarios in some circumstances, as in he various 'fat man on the train tracks' style 'thought experiments', requiring compromise, and implying that there is no such thing as perfect justice.

The moral arguments all go against the idea of the Christian God.

OTOH, your God is vindictive, and doesn't require us to be moral, since only the 'elect' are going to Heaven anyway, so to that extent he is more compatible with reality than the standard model.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
Quote:We are in the image of

Quote:
We are in the image of God in the sense of our Spirit.

No, humans invent gods that reflect the culture of their time.

Xenophanes:

Quote:
"But if cattle and horses and lions had hands
or could paint with their hands and create works such as men do,
horses like horses and cattle like cattle
also would depict the gods' shapes and make their bodies
of such a sort as the form they themselves have."

Isn't it funny that Muhammed wears a turban and Allah hates rivils, just like Muslims do?

If you look at depictions of Jesus in ancient Italy he has Italian features. If you look at Jesus depicted in Germany he has blond hair and blue eyes.

If you look at Jesus in South American art he is depicted with brown hair and brown eyes.

And even outside the issue of gods, we change celebrity and politicians depictions to suit our own desires. Washington's real face was not the more square chin we see on the dollar bill. More accurate art from his time would reflect a more realistic image.

Humans want their heros, fake or real, to reflect their own desires.

"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires" Susan B, Anthony

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jean Chauvin wrote:Hi

Jean Chauvin wrote:

Hi L

Latin,

God causes evil , but Satan carries out that evil. It's not a contradiction. Satan can't cause anything, but is the agent of it.

This is not a contradiction.

I think I understand what you're saying.   It's analogous to Charles Manson and his relationship to the Tate / La Bianca murders that occurred in 1969.  Although Manson ( ie, "God" ) did not actually shoot or stab the numerous victims, it was Manson's followers ( ie, "Satan" ) who actually perpetrated the slaughter.  You're correct, there is no contradiction.

Manson even looks like Jesus.... wow !

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jean Chauvin wrote:Have you

Jean Chauvin wrote:

Cite you peer reviewed source to back you claim. You will NOT find 1.

You are not trained in 'geometry', Professor of Lolgic.

I am.

So STFU, and listen to me, dufus.

A little bit of geometry 101, and a little bit of 'common understanding' (empiricism), that is 'mathematically' sound, and 'physically' sound.

Shapes and curves are what 'we' (humans) define as geometry. The set of shapes (surfaces, fields, fabrics) and curves (single, poly) that exist, are 'narratively' identified by humans as 'geometry'.

Shapes and curves occur naturally, by no intelligent 'means' necessary.

We (humans) 'narratively' identify natural occurrences as 'things', or 'incidents', or 'accidents', or 'events'.

A single 'curve' is geometry.  A 'line' is a curve, be it straight, or not.  A curve can be 'open' (open ended, and 'seemingly' endless), or 'closed' (no end, no beginning).

2 curves that are 'joined' by a single end of the 2 curves, is a 'polycurve'. A polycurve can be 'open' (open ended, and can be 'seemingly' endless), or 'closed' (no end, no beginning).

Similar or dissimilar curves occur on top of each other naturally. What 'we' (humans) narratively identify as 'surfaces', or 'fields', or 'fabric'.

A single surface can be 'open' (open ended, and can be 'endless'), or 'closed' (no end, no beginning).

What 'we' (humans) narratively identify as a 'sphere' (perfect or imperfect) is a single 'surface' (or field or fabric).

What 'we' (humans) narratively identify as a 'torus' (perfect or imperfect) is a single 'surface' (or field or fabric).

That's by nature alone.

No 'intelligence' necessary.

Period.

End.

Stop.

Add another natural (no intelligence necessary) occurrence, incident, accident, event, what 'we' (humans) narratively identify as 'chemistry', and you get natural 'monomers', and 'polymers', which are the building blocks of life (biology).

There is NO debate, that these occur naturally.

Just 'argumentation'.

It has NEVER been falsified that these 'occurences', 'incidents', 'accidents', 'events' are not natural.

Period.

End.

Stop.

That concludes todays, lesson.

So, what the fuck do you 'know' that's FACT, Professor of Lolgic?

N O T  T O O  F U C K I N G  M U C H

Respectfully, redneF

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris

benmcd
atheist
benmcd's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ha ha!

Jean Chauvin wrote:

My logic is actual objective logic....

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

Jean Chauvin wrote:

...my logic is actual....

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!

Jean Chauvin wrote:

...I can justify and argue via actual logical argument....

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!

Jean Chauvin wrote:

...I'm not going to argue the way you do since it has been refuted by me....

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!

Jean Chauvin wrote:

...yes, I can justify my arguments....

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!

You're so funny! Thanks so much for the laughs!

"Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers." -- Stephen Fry

benmcd
atheist
benmcd's picture
User is offlineOffline
It depends upon what the meaning of the word "is" is.

redneF wrote:

Jean Chauvin wrote:

God IS is proper grammer.

That's arguable.

In fact, not much of what you assert, is not arguable, or correct.

It's not a proper sentence, because it is unresolved. God is also a common noun. Like 'cat'.

So, saying "Cat is.", is not proper english.

Actually, funny man is correct. He is using "is" to mean "exists," which is not wrong, just quaint. "Cat is" would be different, because "cat" is not a specific thing, unless you are talking about something named "Cat." In other words, "god is" (with a lowercase g) is improper, because you aren't specifying a thing that you claim exists, but "God is," where "God" is a proper noun describing a specific god (most likely YHWH), is grammatical (although untrue).

It's like "I think, therefore I am," where "am" means "exist." There isn't a predicate nominative when "to be" is being used in that way.

"Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers." -- Stephen Fry

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jean Chauvin wrote:: We are

Jean Chauvin wrote:
:

We are born with certain traits similar to God's image.

I see where you're going with this.   For example, there are a few individuals that I am concerned about  nevertheless my overall opinion is that I would very much like to wipe humanity from the face of the Earth.  Even as an atheist I'm still thinking with God's perspective......

Global Flood, anyone ?

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
benmcd wrote:You're so

benmcd wrote:

You're so funny! Thanks so much for the laughs!

Smiling I think Jean should do stand up comedy.  Like that Ahmed character, he can be the Christian version.

"Don't seek these laws to understand. Only the mad can comprehend..." -- George Cosbuc

Mr_Metaphysics (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1

BobSpence1 wrote:

Mr_Metaphysics,

Your Modal version of the OA relies on S5 which is assumes, for validity, that you have complete knowledge of the proposition and its context, so that you can KNOW that it is POSSIBLY NECESSARY. Not 'possibly' in the sense of expressing lack of knowledge of, in this case, the actual attributes of God.

I now grasp S5, and it does indeed seem valid in this sense of 'possibly'.

However, to KNOW that God is 'possibly necessary' would require rather more complete knowledge of Reality, and the concept known as God, than I suspect even you could claim.

So while valid, to prove it sound, you would have to prove that God is 'possibly necessary'.

So it really doesn't advance your argument for God, does it? Even Platinga recognized this limitation.

It's not my version, Bobbles.  Charles Hartshorne formalized it back in the 40's; he was a brilliant man--much smarter than you and I.  

I'll give you points for trying real hard, but you still haven't raised a serious objection.

You claim that in order to know that God is possible ('possibly necessary', though correct, is misleading, because necessity applies in the de re sense whereas possibility applies in the de dicto sense.), we have to be omniscient.  This is just a baseless and arbitrary assumption; if we do not require complete knowledge of reality to know that a particular sort of hamburger is possible, then why do we require it for God? Simply because he happens to be all-powerful?  

What axiom of logic says that we need complete knowledge of reality in order to know that an all-powerful being is possible?  

You missed the point of Plantinga's objection to his own argument.  Plantinga is not saying that we need to be omniscient in order to be able to affirm the key premise of the argument; he is saying that the atheist is in an epistemic position to deny the possibility of God, for no other than that it is impossible for the theist to conclusively prove that the concept contains no contradictions.  But Plantinga was quick to note that, at the very least, insofar as our modal intuitions are generally reliable (it is reasonable, for instance, to presume that a 6 foot hot dog is possible), we can say that God belief is reasonable.

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
benmcd wrote:redneF

benmcd wrote:

redneF wrote:

Jean Chauvin wrote:

God IS is proper grammer.

That's arguable.

In fact, not much of what you assert, is not arguable, or correct.

It's not a proper sentence, because it is unresolved. God is also a common noun. Like 'cat'.

So, saying "Cat is.", is not proper english.

Actually, funny man is correct. He is using "is" to mean "exists," which is not wrong, just quaint. "Cat is" would be different, because "cat" is not a specific thing, unless you are talking about something named "Cat." In other words, "god is" (with a lowercase g) is improper, because you aren't specifying a thing that you claim exists, but "God is," where "God" is a proper noun describing a specific god (most likely YHWH), is grammatical (although untrue).

It's like "I think, therefore I am," where "am" means "exist." There isn't a predicate nominative when "to be" is being used in that way.

Ummm, I didn't say it was 'incorrect'. I said it was 'arguable'.

I'm not going to look it up, but, if I recall correctly, 'is' is a participle, or 'dangling participle'.

God is a 'name', and a 'thing'.

It's all just linguistic and semantic bullshit, and naked assertions, anyways.

It is...

Trust that it is...

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
Mr_Metaphysics wrote:It's

Mr_Metaphysics wrote:

It's not my version, Bobbles.  Charles Hartshorne formalized it back in the 40's; he was a brilliant man--much smarter than you and I.  

Appeal to authority, doesn't make it 'true'.

Mr_Metaphysics wrote:
I'll give you points for trying real hard, but you still haven't raised a serious objection.

Appealing to yourself as an authority doesn't make what you say, anymore 'true', either.

Epic Fail.

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Mr_Metaphysics

Mr_Metaphysics wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

Mr_Metaphysics,

Your Modal version of the OA relies on S5 which is assumes, for validity, that you have complete knowledge of the proposition and its context, so that you can KNOW that it is POSSIBLY NECESSARY. Not 'possibly' in the sense of expressing lack of knowledge of, in this case, the actual attributes of God.

I now grasp S5, and it does indeed seem valid in this sense of 'possibly'.

However, to KNOW that God is 'possibly necessary' would require rather more complete knowledge of Reality, and the concept known as God, than I suspect even you could claim.

So while valid, to prove it sound, you would have to prove that God is 'possibly necessary'.

So it really doesn't advance your argument for God, does it? Even Platinga recognized this limitation.

You claim that in order to know that God is possible ('possibly necessary', though correct, is misleading, because necessity applies in the de re sense whereas possibility applies in the de dicto sense.), we have to be omniscient.  This is just a baseless and arbitrary assumption; if we do not require complete knowledge of reality to know that a particular sort of hamburger is possible, then why do we require it for God? Simply because he happens to be all-powerful?  

What axiom of logic says that we need complete knowledge of reality in order to know that an all-powerful being is possible?  

God impinges directly on all of reality, a six-foot hot-dog is a very local phenomenon. Its that simple.

Quote:

You missed the point of Plantinga's objection to his own argument.  Plantinga is not saying that we need to be omniscient in order to be able to affirm the key premise of the argument; he is saying that the atheist is in an epistemic position to deny the possibility of God, for no other than that it is impossible for the theist to conclusively prove that the concept contains no contradictions.  But Plantinga was quick to note that, at the very least, insofar as our modal intuitions are generally reliable (it is reasonable, for instance, to presume that a 6 foot hot dog is possible), we can say that God belief is reasonable.

The actual world has contingencies and dependencies which are vastly beyond our capacity to envisage, let alone 'know', so any 'possible worlds' or modal argument is only addressing, and can only address a grossly, simplified model of what IS.

And as Platinga says, the best you can hope to do is establish whether a proposition is reasonable, maybe plausible.

A Theist will claim certain knowledge of a God, so within that context, they can claim a proof, but it is actually contingent on the assumption about reality embodied in the claim 'God exists'.

So now you concede that your argument can only establish, at best, the 'reasonableness' of the proposition that 'God necessarily exists'.

Thank you.

User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:God

BobSpence1 wrote:

God impinges directly on all of reality, a six-foot hot-dog is a very local phenomenon. Its that simple.

What do you mean 'impinges directly on all of reality', and what axiom of logic states that we need to be omniscient in order to know whether something that impinges on all of reality is possible?

Quote:
So now you concede that your argument can only establish, at best, the 'reasonableness' of the proposition that 'God necessarily exists'.

Thank you.

I don't see an issue with it.  You could also deny that there are trees in my backyard, even though they are clearly visible to me.

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
Mr_Metaphysics wrote:I don't

Mr_Metaphysics wrote:

I don't see an issue with it.  

If you merely have a claim, then you merely have a claim.

You merely have a claim.

If you have evidence, which supports your claim, then you have evidence which supports your claim.

You merely have a claim.

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Mr_Metaphysics

Mr_Metaphysics wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

What do you mean 'impinges directly on all of reality', and what axiom of logic states that we need to be omniscient in order to know whether something that impinges on all of reality is possible?

Quote:

Thank you.

I don't see an issue with it.  You could also deny that there are trees in my backyard, even though they are clearly visible to me.

Are you serious that that posited creator of all, the most unlimited possible being, does not have some significant connection with ALL?

To KNOW that there is nothing in the actual nature of reality which might conflict with such a being being 'necessary', would require, at the very least, an intimate understanding of the origin of our Universe. 

Whereas I would only need to see your backyard to accept the proposition that "there are trees in my backyard". Doesn't seem to be a very relevant example, anyway.

It is not an 'axiom' of logic, it is an application of logic, because you are trying to prove a negative, that there is nothing in reality that would contradict the possibility of God being necessity. Since God impinges on all of reality, that would require knowledge of all that God impinges on.

User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1

BobSpence1 wrote:

Mr_Metaphysics wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

Quote:

Thank you.

Are you serious that that posited creator of all, the most unlimited possible being, does not have some significant connection with ALL?

To KNOW that there is nothing in the actual nature of reality which might conflict with such a being being 'necessary', would require, at the very least, an intimate understanding of the origin of our Universe. 

Whereas I would only need to see your backyard to accept the proposition that "there are trees in my backyard". Doesn't seem to be a very relevant example, anyway.

It is not an 'axiom' of logic, it is an application of logic, because you are trying to prove a negative, that there is nothing in reality that would contradict the possibility of God being necessity. Since God impinges on all of reality, that would require knowledge of all that God impinges on.

What do you mean 'impinges on all of reality'?  

benmcd
atheist
benmcd's picture
User is offlineOffline
Is, man. Is.

redneF wrote:

Ummm, I didn't say it was 'incorrect'. I said it was 'arguable'.

Sorry, I should have been more direct. It is not arguable. It is inarguably correct (grammatically, not epistemologically).

redneF wrote:

I'm not going to look it up, but, if I recall correctly, 'is' is a participle, or 'dangling participle'.

It's simpler than that -- "is" is just a verb.

redneF wrote:

God is a 'name', and a 'thing'.

Yes. And as a name and a thing, it is a proper noun (it's important in this context to specify that names are proper nouns, because a naked improper noun with "is" would be incorrect; again, not arguable, just inarguably incorrect). 

redneF wrote:

It's all just linguistic and semantic bullshit, and naked assertions, anyways.

Of course. What else would you expect from a funny guy like Jean?

benmcd
atheist
benmcd's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheist Logic 101

Mr_Metaphysics wrote:

Atheist Logic 101:

"The premises are only true because you say they are true, but that's not sufficient reason to believe they are."

--ubuntuAnyone, 3/4/11 

Are you ever going to give a coherent explanation for your assertion that your sig quote is illogical? I read through the thread where you were talking about it, and I honestly still can't figure out what you think is wrong with it. Please walk me through that.

User is offlineOffline
benmcd wrote:Mr_Metaphysics

benmcd wrote:

Mr_Metaphysics wrote:

Atheist Logic 101:

"The premises are only true because you say they are true, but that's not sufficient reason to believe they are."

--ubuntuAnyone, 3/4/11 

Are you ever going to give a coherent explanation for your assertion that your sig quote is illogical? I read through the thread where you were talking about it, and I honestly still can't figure out what you think is wrong with it. Please walk me through that.

Hahaha.  Looks like ubuntu gave his little brother a computer.

The signature is illogical because it is illogical, but that is not sufficient to believe that it is illogical.

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
Mr_Metaphysics wrote:The

Mr_Metaphysics wrote:

The signature is illogical because it is illogical, but that is not sufficient to believe that it is illogical.

You love to strawman, don't you.

Here's the CORRECT transposing.

The signature is only illogical because you say it is illogical, but that is not sufficient reason to believe that it is illogical.

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
benmcd wrote:Mr_Metaphysics

benmcd wrote:

Mr_Metaphysics wrote:

Atheist Logic 101:

--ubuntuAnyone, 3/4/11 

You're not the only one confused by that... I find it reasonable... but than again, I was not trained in logic as a theist.

"Don't seek these laws to understand. Only the mad can comprehend..." -- George Cosbuc

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ktulu wrote:benmcd

Ktulu wrote:

benmcd wrote:

Mr_Metaphysics wrote:

Atheist Logic 101:

--ubuntuAnyone, 3/4/11 

You're not the only one confused by that... I find it reasonable... but than again, I was not trained in logic as a theist.

AFAICS, presented out of the original context, the first part doesn't quite make sense, because you are missing the rhetorical setting:

ububtuAnyone wrote:

Replace your god with the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Congratulations! You've just proved the existence of a god that is known to be the work of fiction.

There's no grounding for anything of what your saying... The premises are only true because you say they are true, but that's not sufficient reason to believe they are.

ubuntuAnyone
Theist
ubuntuAnyone's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jean Chauvin wrote:I am not

crrap.. mod delete.

ubuntuAnyone
Theist
ubuntuAnyone's picture
User is offlineOffline
Mr_Metaphysics wrote:The

Mr_Metaphysics wrote:

All you're doing is propagating the fact that you like fallacies in your sig. The one in your sig is called quote mining

I should start keeping score as to who use the most fallacies between you and Jean.

“Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.”

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
thread is utter poop.....

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:AFAICS,

BobSpence1 wrote:

AFAICS, presented out of the original context, the first part doesn't quite make sense, because you are missing the rhetorical setting:

ububtuAnyone wrote:

Replace your god with the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Congratulations! You've just proved the existence of a god that is known to be the work of fiction.

There's no grounding for anything of what your saying... The premises are only true because you say they are true, but that's not sufficient reason to believe they are.

Ya, I don't know why Mr_M thinks it some 'checkmate atheist' victory, when it wasn't a dissertation, it was simply a reply, that he may have not been able to got back and edit.

I mean, we saw Mr_M  admit right out in the open, that he was quoting my whole posts simply to prevent me from editing anything I typed, and was childishly boasting about it.

Anyone with half a brain understands that what ubutu meant was that 'Saying it's true, does not make it true'.

Whereas the OA, and the KCA and TAG have their foundations in millenia old navel gazing, and they simply don't hold water.

Ciarin
Theist
Ciarin's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kapkao wrote:thread is utter

Kapkao wrote:

QFT

User is offlineOffline
ubuntuAnyone

ubuntuAnyone wrote:

Mr_Metaphysics wrote:

All you're doing is propagating the fact that you like fallacies in your sig.

I agree that your quote was a logical fallacy.  Thank you for that concession.

By the way, what's with the Han Solo Penguin?  Is that supposed to be cute or funny?  Are you supposed to seem more sophisticated by having it there?  I mean, it's bad enough you have a name like 'ubuntuAnyone', but you top it off with the worst avatar I've ever seen?

B166ER
atheist
B166ER's picture
User is offlineOffline
let me unquote mine that for you!

Mr_MagicNotPhysics, shameless quote miner wrote:

ubuntuAnyone's original full comment wrote:
All you're doing is propagating the fact that you like fallacies in your sig. The one in your sig is called quote mining

Mr_MagicNotPhysics, all you're proving is that you're a shameless quote miner, and you can't argue against positions unless you chop them up and place them out of context! Thanks for proving to the world that yet another mindless theist is unable to deal with the full arguments presented to them unless they take them out of context!

Mr_MagicNotPhysics wrote:
By the way, what's with the Han Solo Penguin?  Is that supposed to be cute or funny?  Are you supposed to seem more sophisticated by having it there?  I mean, it's bad enough you have a name like 'ubuntuAnyone', but you top it off with the worst avatar I've ever seen?

He likes Star Wars and he likes Linux. What's the issue? I could say the same thing about you? What's with a name that advocates love of magic as a real thing and not a love of reality? Do you think it makes you sound smart or educated? I mean, it's bad enough that you use a name that is based on a hatred of reality, since reality doesn't match your pet delusion. At least you don't use a stupid avatar pic!

"This may shock you, but not everything in the bible is true." The only true statement ever to be uttered by Jean Chauvinism, sociopathic emotional terrorist.
"A Boss in Heaven is the best excuse for a boss on earth, therefore If God did exist, he would have to be abolished." Mikhail Bakunin
"The means in which you take,
dictate the ends in which you find yourself."
"Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government! Supreme leadership derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!"
No Gods, No Masters!

ubuntuAnyone
Theist
ubuntuAnyone's picture
User is offlineOffline
Mr_Metaphysics

Mr_Metaphysics wrote:

ubuntuAnyone wrote:

Mr_Metaphysics wrote:

All you're doing is propagating the fact that you like fallacies in your sig.

I never made a concession that my statement was a fallacy... I said you like fallacies...

But that aside, this is the kind of stuff I'm talking about when I say you like fallacies:

1.) You read into something and twist peoples words to make them say something that they don't (That's quote mining AGAIN!).

2.) Your statement about my avatar is a red herring.

3.) And your judgement about my name and my avatar is an ad hominem fallacy.

I think you're winning the fallacy contest against Jean. Jean may be a nutjob, but your just a poor debater. You're arguments are not sound, you make fallacies, and go for style over substance.

“Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.”

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yep, "style over substance",

Yep, "style over substance", that's why he is so impressed with Matt Slick and WL Craig.

ubuntuAnyone
Theist
ubuntuAnyone's picture
User is offlineOffline
B166ER wrote:He likes Star

B166ER wrote:

He likes Star Wars and he likes Linux.

Yep. Pretty much the reasons why I use a penguin Han Solo and have "ubuntu" in my name... and I love his quote about religion too.

benmcd
atheist
benmcd's picture
User is offlineOffline
Too dumb or too stubborn?

Mr_Metaphysics wrote:

benmcd wrote:

Mr_Metaphysics wrote:

Atheist Logic 101:

--ubuntuAnyone, 3/4/11 

Hahaha.  Looks like ubuntu gave his little brother a computer.

So, does this mean you are unable to explain what you think is illogical about it, or are you just unwilling?

Jean Chauvin
Theistard
Jean Chauvin's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hello

Hello,

This is funny then funny. An atheist corrects Rednef on my grammar being right. LOL. Another example why I creamed you REd in those debates. If you want another debate where I have all the burden, I'm here for you.

Bend won't agree because he's an atheist, but he agrees with grammar. He must be a grammarian. Good observation Bend.

Now, Rednef, did you say geometry was empirical? This is absurd. Geometry by definition is non empirical (specially, Euclidian geometry). If one starts deductively (empiricism is always inductive, and if one starts with axioms (empiricism never starts with axioms, but particulars), then we are dealing with the antithesis of empiricism.

LOL.

You don't know what you are talking about. I'm Axiomatic, but i include time and space unlike Euclid.

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jean Chauvin wrote: Another

Jean Chauvin wrote:

Another example why I creamed you REd in those debates.

And you still think you've actually won a debate?

Jean Jean is...

Jean Chauvin
Theistard
Jean Chauvin's picture
User is offlineOffline
Can God Hate?

Can God Hate?

Let's explore the original OP. For some reason, atheists lose track of things and change the subject and often they go nuts. So let's explore the Biblical position.

First off, virtually 99% of all Christians would emotionally disagree with this. When one (like me) would demonstrate this from the text, their atheistic infiltrations kick in and they say, oh, it doesn't really mean that. Then they say if pressed, well, that's your interpretation.

So we see that absurdity of atheism has crept in Chrisitanity (Jude 3).

But let's look at some of the text.

As originally states, Romans 9:13 says that God hated Esau .When we look at Genesis where this happened. we see that God hated Esau (before he was even born). So if God hated Esau, is that it?

But the hate that God has is not the same hate that we have typically speaking. It is a righteous hate regarding wickedness and evil. And since people like Brian are evil to the very very core (Jer. 17:3, Is. 64:6, Rom. 3:10-12), then it is only logical to hate the wicked.

As a result, wimpy Christians have made up a liberal saying. It goes something like this:

"God does not hate the sinner, He hates the sin."

This is nowhere found in Scripture. Atheism and our country's status is really the unpaid bills of the church.

But we also see in Psalms 139:21-22 where David hated His enemies. God honored this and caused David's enemies to be defeated.

More could be said on this (a lot more), but I find that Christians shy away at the truth.

Hell is evil. God created hell. And the evil created will be for the evil doers such as Sapient and that red head girl he dated at the kirk and Ray debate.

Her hair may match the flames that engluf you both.

But before that happens, let's have a beer. Where do you live Sapient?

I will explore more deeply this issue if the Lord allows on here. But for now, God does hate righteously, and He may hate you.

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).

benmcd
atheist
benmcd's picture
User is offlineOffline
Another knee-slapper

Jean Chauvin wrote:

...I creamed you REd in those debates.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha! You've got to stop, your jokes are killing me!

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jean, since your ultimate

Jean, since your ultimate justification is your particular interpretation of what a bunch of people whose knowledge of reality has long been shown to be way incomplete and inaccurate, who couldn't even get the whole collection of writings to be consistent, why should anyone here take you seriously? You surely realize that every time you quote scripture to justify your assertions, you just make yourself look even more ridiculous?

We base our world-views on interpretations of reality itself, not the second-hand interpretations of interpretations you do. Ours are not perfect, and neither are yours, since we both must employ our finite and fallible minds and senses, but at least we a step closer to Reality than you.

Reality is the Ultimate Reference Point.

B166ER
atheist
B166ER's picture
User is offlineOffline
ummm...

Jean Chauvinism, sociopathic emotional terrorist wrote:
Let's explore the original OP. For some reason, atheists lose track of things and change the subject and often they go nuts. So let's explore the Biblical position.

First off, virtually 99% of all Christians would emotionally disagree with this. When one (like me) would demonstrate this from the text, their atheistic infiltrations kick in and they say, oh, it doesn't really mean that. Then they say if pressed, well, that's your interpretation.

So we see that absurdity of atheism has crept in Chrisitanity (Jude 3).

If atheism had crept into Christianity, then more Christians would be calling bullshit on all the things in the "Holy" Babble  that have absolutely no evidence to back them up. As it is, I don't think it's atheism that has formed their opinion on the Babble and what to take literally or metaphorically, but the compulsion to not be a dick.

None of us disagreed with you on the fact that the fictional character you worship is described in the "Holy" Babble as a violent, bi-polar megalomaniac. What we disagreed with is your assertion that you have enough evidence to assume it actually exists. If you're going to try and make a "witty" comment, like the one you made about us changing the subject, at least base it in reality. I know it's hard for you, as you rarely come here, but it's really not as bad as it seems from behind your safety blanket.

"This may shock you, but not everything in the bible is true." The only true statement ever to be uttered by Jean Chauvinism, sociopathic emotional terrorist.
"A Boss in Heaven is the best excuse for a boss on earth, therefore If God did exist, he would have to be abolished." Mikhail Bakunin
"The means in which you take,
dictate the ends in which you find yourself."
"Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government! Supreme leadership derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!"
No Gods, No Masters!

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
B166ER wrote:None of us

B166ER wrote:
None of us disagreed with you on the fact that the fictional character you worship is described in the "Holy" Babble as a violent, bi-polar megalomaniac. What we disagreed with is your assertion that you have enough evidence to assume it actually exists. If you're going to try and make a "witty" comment, like the one you made about us changing the subject, at least base it in reality. I know it's hard for you, as you rarely come here, but it's really not as bad as it seems from behind your safety blanket. 
 That's cutting to the chase...  Here's the new position to save Jean a whole lot of typing.  IF you assume the Bible is not a work of fiction, then most of your conclusions are correct.  The Bible is an archaic work of fiction.  Debating it is moot ( the word is moot not mute as you have used earlier ), and the answer to all your bible quotes as applied to reality is MU.

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jean Chauvin wrote:Now,

Jean Chauvin wrote:

Now, Rednef, did you say geometry was empirical? This is absurd.

Is that what you observe?

How did you test it to see if it was absurd?

You didn't contrast it to something else, in your mind, did you?

Because, according to you, that's absurd.

You're not leading by example, are you Jean Jean?

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
redneF wrote:Jean Chauvin

redneF wrote:

Jean Chauvin wrote:

Now, Rednef, did you say geometry was empirical? This is absurd.

Is that what you observe?

How did you test it to see if it was absurd?

You didn't contrast it to something else, in your mind, did you?

Because, according to you, that's absurd.

You're not leading by example, are you Jean Jean?

It's absurd to Jean because it doesn't come from the Bible. You know that great geometry book that sets pi equal to 3.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
One of Euclidean geometry's

One of Euclidean geometry's axioms is actually an assumption which turns out to be a contingent property of space, ie not an essential truth.

This is that one, and only one, straight line can be drawn through a point parallel to another straight line.

That does not apply in a space containing mass, which causes space to curve, as detected by the deflection of light passing close to the Sun.