Saturn fly-by----Holy Crap.

mellestad
Moderator
Posts: 2927
Joined: 2009-08-19
User is offlineOffline
Saturn fly-by----Holy Crap.

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.


WasitacatisaW
atheist
WasitacatisaW's picture
Posts: 28
Joined: 2011-03-16
User is offlineOffline
I honestly can not wait for

I honestly can not wait for this IMAX movie to come out. This is the first I've heard of it.


Ktulu
atheist
Posts: 1830
Joined: 2010-12-21
User is offlineOffline
That looks very cool!,  

That looks very cool!, 

 


Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
Posts: 4214
Joined: 2008-11-11
User is offlineOffline
 OK not sure what to

 

OK not sure what to contribute here but as a kid, my next door neighbor was an electrical engineer for CBS labs. Still being in kindergarten at the time, Neil Armstrong landing on the moon was not a big historical event for me, so much as “wow! That is Mr. Weber's camera.

 

Last year, I mentioned that at work and someone immediately whipped out a cell phone to put me on with her father (because he made the cameras for the Voyager probes). As it turns out, they did not even have any optics. They were simple solar cells that grabbed brightness data based on the fact that the probes were rotating fairly fast. That and the linear motion of the probes allowed computers to reconstruct what the images should be if cameras had actually been there.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=


Ktulu
atheist
Posts: 1830
Joined: 2010-12-21
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:

Last year, I mentioned that at work and someone immediately whipped out a cell phone to put me on with her father (because he made the cameras for the Voyager probes). As it turns out, they did not even have any optics. They were simple solar cells that grabbed brightness data based on the fact that the probes were rotating fairly fast. That and the linear motion of the probes allowed computers to reconstruct what the images should be if cameras had actually been there.

I didn't know that.  That's actually cooler than the above video.

"Don't seek these laws to understand. Only the mad can comprehend..." -- George Cosbuc


Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
Posts: 4214
Joined: 2008-11-11
User is offlineOffline
 Well, if that is your

 

Well, if that is your definition of cool, then I can work with that.

 

Tomorrow is Saint Pat's day and I will be wearing my hand made Anne Stewart kilt to the only Irish bar in town. My sporran only has room for my wallet and smokes. Good enough for the job.

 

Lesbians will buy me free drinks. Sure, they will go home with each other. Still, lesbians will buy me free drinks.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=


Kapkao
atheistSuperfanBronze Member
Kapkao's picture
Posts: 4121
Joined: 2010-01-12
User is offlineOffline
The Saturn of new, looking

The Saturn of new, looking very much like the Saturn of old...

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)


Ktulu
atheist
Posts: 1830
Joined: 2010-12-21
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:

 

Well, if that is your definition of cool, then I can work with that.

 

Tomorrow is Saint Pat's day and I will be wearing my hand made Anne Stewart kilt to the only Irish bar in town. My sporran only has room for my wallet and smokes. Good enough for the job.

 

Lesbians will buy me free drinks. Sure, they will go home with each other. Still, lesbians will buy me free drinks.

I meant cooler because of the ingenuity involved in using instruments not intended for the purpose, to get images.  That's pretty cool.  When you send really cool cameras, the images are definitely impressive, but somehow less so.  

Also you wearing a kilt... not cool lol... as per my definition of course.  I'm sure there are ppl that think kilts are totally dope ( though I don't know any, and I know a few Irish fellows ).  Just doesn't place the best mental picture in my head...

As for lesbians, and drink buying lesbians no less... that's up there with e=mc2 for coolness... 

 

"Don't seek these laws to understand. Only the mad can comprehend..." -- George Cosbuc