Hello

peto verum
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Hello

I feel kind of awkward introducing myself to an established group.  I'm a non-proselytizing atheist meaning that I don't care to convert anyone.  If someone chooses to be ignorant then so be it.  On the other hand I don't want to be preached to or proselytized to by any one promoting some omnipotent, intelligent creator. (Although, I would always entertain a scientifically reproducible, tangible argument regarding a god. )    Unfortunately, because most theist feel it's their duty to convert me and save my soul should they learn I'm "without god", I find that it is my responsibility to be able to put forth an intelligent and rational rebuttal to thwart their efforts.  These forums seem to be a great place to get a well rounded education and bolster my already very suspect belief in an intelligent, loving, caring creator.

Be Safe!!

KORAN, n.
A book which the Mohammedans foolishly believe to have been written by divine inspiration, but which Christians know to be a wicked imposture, contradictory to the Holy Scriptures. ~ The Devil's Dictionary

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome from Canada

Near Toronto. I've been looking for any evidence of any god for over fifty years;  I haven't seen any yet.  So just call me a pure atheist with no doubts about it.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Welcome! 

Welcome!

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hello there Peto

Pleased to meet you.

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
 From Ontario, near

From Ontario, near Hamilton.  Welcome to the forum.

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the forum.

Welcome to the forum.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline
peto verum wrote:I feel kind

peto verum wrote:

I feel kind of awkward introducing myself to an established group.  I'm a non-proselytizing atheist meaning that I don't care to convert anyone.  If someone chooses to be ignorant then so be it.  On the other hand I don't want to be preached to or proselytized to by any one promoting some omnipotent, intelligent creator. (Although, I would always entertain a scientifically reproducible, tangible argument regarding a god. )    Unfortunately, because most theist feel it's their duty to convert me and save my soul should they learn I'm "without god", I find that it is my responsibility to be able to put forth an intelligent and rational rebuttal to thwart their efforts.  These forums seem to be a great place to get a well rounded education and bolster my already very suspect belief in an intelligent, loving, caring creator.

Be Safe!!

Welcome aboard. I would ask you to consider that not proselytizing means those that you leave ignorant will FUBAR your environment.  Even if they do not preach at you. They do act based upon those beliefs.  No stem cell research. No condoms in Africa because the Pope makes a deal to offer financial  help if his doctrine is not violated. So the spread of AIDS is increased because of religious belief. People fly planes into buildings for Allah.  People are stoned for sneaking out of an arranged marriage or for adultery.  Your gay friend is denied a job because of religious views of his sexual preference,  you are denied a job or fired because you don't pray ( I know I was).  SO it really is some validity to the new athesim of Harris, Hitchens, Dennett and Dawkins. Anyway enjoy, share and learn.

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whip cream."--Frank Zappa

http://atheisticgod.blogspot.com/ Books on atheism

mrOriginal
atheist
mrOriginal's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome!

Welcome!