Invasive Amphibians Species Upend a Darwin Idea

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline
Try this

I hit the wrong key on that link  -  www.nytimes.com/2011/03/08/science/08/science/08obfrog.html                                  It still does not work     Well if you want to check it out, go to the New York Times science section  and check out the article  -  " Invasive Amphibian Spcies Upend a Darwin Idea".

Signature ? How ?

Thunderios
atheist
User is offlineOffline
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/0

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/08/science/08obfrog.html
You have 08/science twice?

Anyway. Kinda counter-intuitive. It's like a black person coming to Europe and surviving better, despite not being able to make vitamin D properly...

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thunderios

Thunderios wrote:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/08/science/08obfrog.html
You have 08/science twice?

Anyway. Kinda counter-intuitive. It's like a black person coming to Europe and surviving better, despite not being able to make vitamin D properly...

Not really. It makes complete sense to me. Frogs survive well in areas that other frogs survive well in, not much of a shock considering they eat the same types of food, live in similar environments etc. The only time that you would have a problem is if there was a scarcity of shared food, in which case one species or the other might experience starvation. Since most amphibians eat food sources that are extremely plentiful such as insects and worms, it is no surprise that food shortages are rarely, if ever, a problem. So while they may eat the same food, they are not really competing anymore than you are competing with people at an all you can eat buffet. There is plenty of food to go around, and much of it will go to waste. 

Now if you were talking about a large mammal in an area where food is limited, an invasive species could have a detrimental effect because they would be competing for the same food. For example, in a northern climate food can often be scarce, especially in a harsh winter and some animals do starve to death. If you were to introduce a new animal that ate similar food, whichever species was quicker to eat the food would have a better survival rate because they would in fact be competing for the same food.

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline
Beyound Saving wrote : a quote from Atlas Shrugged

Can you please tell me, what turns you on about " Atlas Shrugged ", I'm truly perplexed, its not just a few people that refer to Ayn Rand there are many people out there that subscribe to her way of thinking, like she's a cult figure or something, help to enlighten me !    

Signature ? How ?

ubuntuAnyone
Theist
ubuntuAnyone's picture
User is offlineOffline
1.) He said "Probably" we'd

1.) He said "Probably" we'd need a evidence from a number of different cases to affirm or deny this...one is simply not enough in terms of probabilities.

2.) I don't think that's the first thing he's been wrong about either. Even so, it doesn't change that he was right about somethings. That's the nature of good science.

“Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.”

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ken G. wrote:      Can

Ken G. wrote:

Can you please tell me, what turns you on about " Atlas Shrugged ", I'm truly perplexed, its not just a few people that refer to Ayn Rand there are many people out there that subscribe to her way of thinking, like she's a cult figure or something, help to enlighten me !    

Yes I will. I don't have nearly enough time to delve into the topic now but some point this weekend I will start a new thread on it. 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote: Yes I will .

Great !  maybe now I can understand what people see in her.  

Signature ? How ?