What Do We Live For? I have my own reasons.

BB4_intellect
atheist
BB4_intellect's picture
User is offlineOffline
What Do We Live For? I have my own reasons.

So, for anyone converting to Atheism after being raised in a Christian family, the question arises "What do I live for if it's not for God" There are way too many possibilities when religion is thrown out the window. I always tell myself life is meant to LIVE, SO LIVE IT! Then, questions of morality come up. I know morality is supposedly a more natural concept than something written in a book, but where does monogamy come up ? nowhere! I've never felt myself to be a one girl kinda gal, and why should I? Of course I mean if the other person is unaware. CHEATING is the operative word here. We're just civilized and organized animals. Then what's the fucking harm? Tell me, now.

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Well, getting drunk and

Well, getting drunk and getting laid works for me.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

BB4_intellect
atheist
BB4_intellect's picture
User is offlineOffline
WTF?! I am too drunk for

WTF?! I am too drunk for this post! I can't even figure out how to delete it! Well, for now go ahead and post your comments. Bury it with new topics. My girlfriend of 8 years CANNOT see it, that's for damn sure.

Soooo............anyway, reasons for living/staying alive on this useless planet:

1. Art

2. Music

3. Pleasure (both physical and mental)<------so human

4. Knowledge

5...................................then nothing......................help me out here..............do we need more though?

BB4_intellect
atheist
BB4_intellect's picture
User is offlineOffline
PLEASURE........CHECK!

PLEASURE........CHECK!

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
BB4_intellect

BB4_intellect wrote:

Soooo............anyway, reasons for living/staying alive on this useless planet:

To see what one can accomplish tomorrow?

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Food!!!!

Food!!!!

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
I can accomplish food

I can accomplish food tomorrow!

Yay me!

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Humans are put together in a way

that allows them to find meaning in a lot of things, including really tough times. People are a good reason to be around but also there are those things that squeeze your dopamine and oxytocin centres - that's a heap of things for me. Sailing, motorcycling, 4WDing down some bullshit hillside and staying alive. Drinking in the afternoon. Certain music. The written word, well written. Cool, sunny days.

It's a mistake to think, as god people do, that the only reason for living is to beat up on yourself over occasional sins and crave death so you can play nude twister with jesus for all eternity. Life has its own meaning that's separate from pointless dogma. There are profound human connections that trump 'love' of jesus and allah. As a bit of a war historian I've read many accounts of soldiers dying on the battlefield crying for mum.

Humans. In all ways, we're better than religion.

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

100percentAtheist
atheist
100percentAtheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
BB4_intellect

BB4_intellect wrote:

1. Art

2. Music

3. Pleasure (both physical and mental)<------so human

4. Knowledge

5...................................then nothing......................help me out here..............do we need more though?

6.  To wipe out from the face of the Earth this parasitic inflammatory life-sucking victim of abortion - religion. 

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:

Well, getting drunk and getting laid works for me.

Ok Christopher Hitchens.

Certainly your life, and I'll be the first to say I have my addictions too. Not anything illegal mind you. But what we do to our own bodies does have long term affects. And I bet while Hitchens says he had fun he would also say he might have done things differently. I think he does regret how it may shorten his life.

My smoking alone bothers me and I cant quit to save my life. I do regret starting and wish my dad's ass kicking of me when he caught me the first time had worked.

And as far as getting laid, that too has problems. It might be fun in the moment, but if you get someone pregnant it is no longer just your problem alone, and do you want a kid with that person? Do you want to be responsible for a kid for 18 years? And what if they have a disease they don't know about or dont tell you about?

Certainly you can do what you want in your life. But there are also unintended things that happen in life as well.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
My reason for living? My

My reason for living? My mom, my cat and dog, and my atheist activism on the web and my friends on the web.

Putting a smile on people's faces on a daily basis by being silly and telling really bad jokes.

Those are the things that bring me pleasure.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Thunderios
atheist
User is offlineOffline
To be able to look back on

To be able to look back on your life when you're older (or, if you die young, in that little moment when you're supposed to see your entire life fly by) you can say you did okay. You don't have to have done everything perfectly. Just good enough.
Morality. Our freedom is limited by the freedom of others. Keep to the rules the people who have thought about it made. If your girlfriend doesn't know you're cheating, what do you think the chances are she will some day find out? Multiply by how fucked up she would feel if she knew. Is it still worth it?

Then another thing. If you live your life for God. Why would that give your life a purpose? If you make your queen/president happy, would that have purpose? Then why would it have purpose if it were for God? Why is his happiness worth more than the queen's/president's or yours for that matter?
When you live forever, whatever you do, it will be lost in infinity. Everybody does an infinity amount of things in an infinite time. If you hadn't done any of the infinite things you were going to do in heaven, there would still be an infinite left, so it doesn't matter.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
 So I can continue on my

So I can continue on my secret quest for global domination through the spread of the capitalist system until everyone is working for me in a sweatshop creating stuff I don't need and kissing my feet. 

Shit, did I say that out loud? Ignore that. Broke rule number one in the book,

1. Never tell anyone you are trying to take over the world.

Damn it, now I'm going to be put in charge of taking care of little Bushie. 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

BB4_intellect
atheist
BB4_intellect's picture
User is offlineOffline
So, seriously though, now

So, seriously though, now that I'm sober, I honestly do feel like an ass for suggesting certain things in my post, i.e. cheating on my girlfriend. I was definitely having a depressive episode last night, and am somewhat of a thrillseeker when my life becomes an 'ordinary' bore, so in my drunken state I often think back to the times I HAD cheated on my honey, and the adrenaline and naughtiness of it all had me that much more aroused. I'm a bad person. I'm well aware. She was also made aware of my strays years ago, and has forgiven me since. ugh. Life really does suck though, especially adult life. What the hell do we do? Go to work. Go to sleep. Pay bills. Go to the gym. Spend money on things we don't need. And then we die. Wow. Who feels like psychoanalyzing this crazy bitch now?? lol. I am well aware of my shitty relationship with my own immediate family. And since I put no value on that relationship, I have trouble valuing friendships and relationships, and showing these truly human connections the respect they deserve. I also have no hope for humanity as a whole. This planet is such a fucking shithole. Yet another reason I'm an atheist, because if there truly was someone or something in charge of it all, they're either fucked in the head, and if they aren't, they would be so disappointed in their creation, that they would have forgotten about us eons ago. Yeah Yeah, I know, let's all go jump off a bridge now. Or just get fucking drunk again!! nah, that's tomorrow night. Tonight is workout night.

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote: So I

Beyond Saving wrote:

So I can continue on my secret quest for global domination through the spread of the capitalist system until everyone is working for me in a sweatshop creating stuff I don't need and kissing my feet. 

Shit, did I say that out loud? Ignore that. Broke rule number one in the book,

1. Never tell anyone you are trying to take over the world.

Damn it, now I'm going to be put in charge of taking care of little Bushie. 

Oooo, looks like I got some competition! lol

There are 2 rules in life:

1- Don't tell everything you know.

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris