God is perfect???

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
God is perfect???

So..... they'd like to convince everyone to embrace god?

"I believe that God is the author and creator of all life, and he has no obligation to prolong anyone's life.

If God wanted to strike me dead right now, that's perfectly within his prerogative."  Christian apologist Dr. William Lane Craig

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIBZu0PpHD0&feature=autoplay&list=PLC34CF609D7F22AD6&index=15&playnext=15

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
 So it is ok to abort if

So it is ok to abort if the baby is known to have disabilities? I don't think that would fly well with most prolifers. 

I don't understand the view that god is so merciful because he doesn't kill us all. I was having this argument with my brother (a born again fundy missionary) and he said within the same breath that god was a loving god, but he was surprised that god hasn't wiped us all out. His evidence that god is "loving" is that god allows us to live..... huh???? Let me try that on the next woman I meet "I love you so much, I'm not going to kill you. Now worship me." I might have some luck in the S & M scene. Maybe all fundies are secretly masochists? 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
redneF wrote: "I believe

redneF wrote:

"I believe that God is the author and creator of all life, and he has no obligation to prolong anyone's life.

If God wanted to strike me dead right now, that's perfectly within his prerogative."  Christian apologist Dr. William Lane Craig

So this also means that if God decided to change his mind and let only atheists into heaven and to send all theists to hell, it is within his prerogative. So why bother trying to believe? This god of his own prerogative does whatever the fuck he feels like doing at any moment, he has no moral code to restrain himself. If believers don't think he would be fair to send them to hell and us to heaven, tough shit.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

mrOriginal
atheist
mrOriginal's picture
User is offlineOffline
I like this post because it

I like this post because it highlights what I deem to be a fatal flaw in most religions.  Specifically Christianity.  Pre-destination is a characteristic that goes hand in hand with their belief in "Gods" master plan.  If the end (if there is one) has allready been decided and put in motion, then what that man mentioned about God "wanting" to strike him dead implies that there is, or was a decision to end his life, as if God suddenly changed his mind about his "plan"  It contradicts the "master plan".  There is no "if" when everything is allready  happening according to plan.  Does he imply that God takes time outs to re-evaluate his own plan???  If so, then he is not perfect.  It makes prayer null and void, because, what is the point?  God's plan is allready in motion, him being "perfect" and all, why would he like to be 2nd guessed, and persuaded by his followers to change his master plan of the universe on the behalf of those who believe in him???  This kind of catch 22 belief is complete lunacy.  I don't remember reading the bible and seeing a portion about "amendments to God's master plan."

This guy can't say if God wanted him dead or not, according to his own belief system, God wanted him alive at this moment when he created the Universe however long ago....everything being decided ahead of time and all....Pre-destination would have God as a spectator to the play he has allready written the end to...not taking time outs to decide on whether or not to spite this idiot. 

These kinds of people readily admit that God knows all, past, present, and future, and insult him by praying for their own selfish desires like it's gonna change anything...and, by believing this way, he allready knows who will go to heaven and go to hell, rendering judgement after death unecessary......It takes the free will given to Adam and Eve and shits on it. That why I love these assclowns who have "only god can judge me" tattoed on their bodies, a public display of ignorance..

If God is perfect, that would mean that his plan is perfect, and if his plan is perfect, then nothing we do, say, believe or pray for will make any difference anyways, so religion itself, prayer and morality have no effect on the outcome in the first place.....

Doesn't sound perfect at all.  It sounds very, very fallible and human. 

Religion and God according to Christian beliefs, just disproved itself, or at least the need for it, for that matter.

thanks,

Mr. O

"Whoever feels predestined to see and not to believe will find all believers too noisy and pushy: he guards against them."

Friedrich Nietzsche

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Entropy alone is enough

Entropy alone is enough evidence to blow away any claim of "perfection"

Dawkins has blamed Plato for his quest for perfection and it's subsequent meme spreading down through history. While I don't like cherry picking history to explain human evolution, and the flawed claims as a result, I do think this was a key claim on Plato's part that caused a shitload of damage in human thought history.

We are a product of a what, not a who, not anything "perfect". And most certainly we are not a product of something with a magic wand.

In order to get humanity's head out of it's ass, the best thing we can foster is to challenge absolute answers to human problems when it comes to politics and religion.

As far as "God" is concerned as a claim, it has to be the worst mind scam people fall for. I cannot buy into a "perfect" being who has given us such a crappy home with natural disasters, disease, crime and war, with no point in our elvolution where these horrible things have not affected us, and then blames us for the game he didn't have to set up in the first place.

The only context the "God" claim makes sense is the human flaw of gap filling in our mundane and far to often reality of placing this fictional being in where answers lack.

We sex up reality because it gives us a false sense of comfort. We would rather have a bad answer than no answer.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline
No one in higher theological

No one in higher theological circles takes Craig very seriously. He is a popularist. His arguments are dependent on people like Plantinga who will admit that the OA's are not proof.

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whip cream."--Frank Zappa

http://atheisticgod.blogspot.com/ Books on atheism

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
TGBaker wrote:No one in

TGBaker wrote:

No one in higher theological circles takes Craig very seriously.

That's not who I'm worried about.

It's the 'sheeple', that worry me. They then think they're *cough* 'smart', after listening to him, and get all cocky and sh1t, and want to get into schools with their 'new fangly dangly' 'learnin's'...

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
 God is perfect - a perfect

God is perfect - a perfect example of the ability of humans to get totally deluded and entranced by totally imaginary beings.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline
redneF wrote:TGBaker

redneF wrote:

TGBaker wrote:

No one in higher theological circles takes Craig very seriously.

That's not who I'm worried about.

It's the 'sheeple', that worry me. They then think they're *cough* 'smart', after listening to him, and get all cocky and sh1t, and want to get into schools with their 'new fangly dangly' 'learnin's'...

I think that is what creates popularists like C.S. Lewis or Craig.  You have to short circuit their appeal with the sheeple by showing what wool has been pulled over their eyes. You show em the shears ( where these popularists get their info and how they use it out of context and change it ). I never thought about it but atheistic activism is frackin' hard work.

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whip cream."--Frank Zappa

http://atheisticgod.blogspot.com/ Books on atheism