For desire doth often scheme
Its visions to repeatedly trace
That icy reason may soundly thaw.

And should thee be more than a vision
Pardon my bold gaze within thine eyes
For Life itself from them seems born.

And would thou take me with sure decision
Into the temple where thy beauty lies
May I by thy soul with love so myself adorn.

But should thee be but my mind's delusion
May I ever be lost in its mystic madness
That our love made brings forth a new earth

Where truth mimics this fine carnal illusion
And dispels reality's dull and sharp sadness
Leaving the dream of our bond fresh a new birth.

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whip cream."--Frank Zappa

http://atheisticgod.blogspot.com/ Books on atheism

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
 This reminds me of

This reminds me of "something I can never have" by NIN

Quote:

I still recall the taste of your tears

Echoing your voice just like the ringing in my ears

My favorite dreams of you still wash ashore

Scraping through my head 'till I don't want to sleep anymore

"Don't seek these laws to understand. Only the mad can comprehend..." -- George Cosbuc

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ktulu wrote: This reminds

Ktulu wrote:

This reminds me of "something I can never have" by NIN

Quote:

I still recall the taste of your tears

Echoing your voice just like the ringing in my ears

My favorite dreams of you still wash ashore

Scraping through my head 'till I don't want to sleep anymore

At some point in life you come to question whether it is the person that is loved that is the inspiration or the act or idea itself that is the more real and desired.

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whip cream."--Frank Zappa

http://atheisticgod.blogspot.com/ Books on atheism

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I used to be a romantic in

I used to be a romantic in my late teens to early twenties.  I found that it depressed me to no end, and it kept me from living life.  I made a rational decision to reject all of those feelings.  The only thing I held on to was music.  

It still sneaks up on me once in a while, I remember what it was like to feel poetry through you.  I remember the tears and the sleepless nights.  I sometimes even miss that self absorbing pain that makes you feel oh so sorry for yourself.  It's oddly soothing since everything else just fades in the background.  Just you and the object of your obsession Smiling  Good 'ole days.  

And to answer your question.  In my case, I always had to work to get the idea of love to work.  Once it rooted it followed the inevitable path.  But I remember sitting up at night, prior to 'feeling' the love, discussing the whole thing with myself.  And once I made a decision, everything else flowed naturally.  Never lasted mind you, but it's sort of how it went.  And what a high it is while you experience it. Smiling  Once I had children, however, I think I reflected all those feelings on them, rationalizing it was much easier since they're so innocent. 

"Don't seek these laws to understand. Only the mad can comprehend..." -- George Cosbuc

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ktulu wrote:I used to be a

Ktulu wrote:

I used to be a romantic in my late teens to early twenties.  I found that it depressed me to no end, and it kept me from living life.  I made a rational decision to reject all of those feelings.  The only thing I held on to was music.  

It still sneaks up on me once in a while, I remember what it was like to feel poetry through you.  I remember the tears and the sleepless nights.  I sometimes even miss that self absorbing pain that makes you feel oh so sorry for yourself.  It's oddly soothing since everything else just fades in the background.  Just you and the object of your obsession Smiling  Good 'ole days.  

I used to be that way with the old Spiderman comics.  I would save lunch money so I could get to the just opened Circle K in my neighborhood and buy the latest issue.  I was so excited when the first Spiderman movie came out - my hero!  And then I watched it ---- how I have grown up.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
Me too, some of my early

Me too, some of my early poetry was about "why cant I find someone" or "Why was I dumped",

I look back at it now and it was nothing more of raging hormones and my own insecurities.

Having been through dating and marriage, I don't see myself writing a poem about love again. Been there done that. It wasn't bad, but it certainly didn't need to be conflated to epic proportions in my poetry.

It is nice to be loved. But I think "fireworks" are overrated.

Age is certainly a factor in getting over that.

The young are idealistic only to become realistic, or at least that's what many do.

Love isn't about hormones or utopias. Love is when you see a spouse or family member at their best and worst and still want to be with them.

I sometimes hear young co-workers talk about getting married or having babies, and I cringe. Think with your heads not your hormones.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog