hello everybody

joak
atheist
User is offlineOffline
hello everybody

hello,

as you will notice, i dont really use proper punctuation or capitalization... i just type.  sorry, just laziness i guess.

anyway, im so glad this place exists.  im going to spend the next hour or so poking around here and familiarizing myself with the terrain.

i was raised "in the church" and grew up in a christian family.  i never really had any extreme life changing or traumatic experiences growing up.  i just realized that christianity, faith, the church, clergy, and religion as a whole was just... well, bullshit. (can i say that?)

up until about two and a half years ago, when the topic of religion came up, i was indifferent. i was just like "meh. oh well, to each his own". 

one day i burrowed "the god delusion" from one of my coworkers.  i read a few chapters and found myself highlighting everything and writing in the margins of his book.  so i gave it back, apologized, and bought my own copy.  it opened my eyes and i found myself seeking out more material. i bought a few more books and discovered the world of YOUTUBE... where i saw RRS intellectually bitchslap that mental midget kirk cameron and the banana man. 

so this is where i am.

im in the Marines, i live in the south (transplanted not raised), and im an atheist.

see ya around.

"The rules of logic dictate that the burden of proof falls upon the affirmative position: that god DOES exist. Atheists have no obligation to prove or disprove anything."

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:i just realized that

Quote:
i just realized that christianity, faith, the church, clergy, and religion as a whole was just... well, bullshit. (can i say that?)

Well, it depends. just like you don't like being lumped into a label, neither do we. Neither do believers.

I would say that even if some here would not put it into the word "bullshit" they most certainly think it, even if they don't express it. BUT, the same can be said for our fellow humans who do believe and are responding to our claims that they are wrong. They think it is "bullshit" that we don't buy their fictional sky daddy.

YES, you can say it. But what I like to do with my believing friends before I sink my fangs into their claims is make one thing clear to them. There is a difference between them, the person, and the claims that come out of their mouth.

I can like people I disagree with without liking everything they say.

If "bullshit" were the worst a believer or atheist had to worry about from their opponent, our species could focus on much more practical things.

Freud said it best, "The first person who hurled an insult instead of a stone, started civilization"

I think most people, even our detractors, when explained to, understand that saying "You are full of shit" does not mean, "I want to kill you".

I think god belief is as stupid as Oujia boards, JFK conspiracies, big foot and Scientology and Kwanza. It is merely humans making up placebos to avoid the fact that we all die.

That doesn't mean because that I don't buy into their superstition that I would leave my detractors bleeding in the street. It just means I want to scream when they make these fantastic claims and then cry foul when I raise my hand in objection.

Taboos are not defended by fact, but ego. Facts are not what we make up, facts are what have the shit kicked out of them and stand the test and can be used by everyone beyond personal bias.

So I would not say "bullshit" in every context in every venue in every situation. But it is what I think about invisible friends. I only refrain from it when the situation calls for it. But I will not shy away from it, nor will I be bullied into never saying "bullshit".

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the forum.

Welcome to the forum.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Welcome! 

Welcome!

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline
Your'e welcome here. Watch

Your'e welcome here. Watch out for all the bullsh.... let me rephrase that... Watch out for all the theists.

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whip cream."--Frank Zappa

http://atheisticgod.blogspot.com/ Books on atheism

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
 welcome

welcome

joak
atheist
User is offlineOffline
TGBaker wrote:Your'e welcome

TGBaker wrote:

Your'e welcome here. Watch out for all the bullsh.... let me rephrase that... Watch out for all the theists.

so they hang around these parts eh?

i just realized this when scrolling through the "proof that jesus never existed" thread.

uh-oh.

"The rules of logic dictate that the burden of proof falls upon the affirmative position: that god DOES exist. Atheists have no obligation to prove or disprove anything."

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
USMC

Welcome to the forums. I grew up in Maine and got transplanted to Toronto;  where are you transplanted from?

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

joak
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Jeffrick

Jeffrick wrote:

Welcome to the forums. I grew up in Maine and got transplanted to Toronto;  where are you transplanted from?

hahaha... really?

i grew up in maine.

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
A witch!!!! Nya ha ha!!!

South Brewer, near the Eastern Mill.  That makes me  a Witch [1970-1974]  What town are you from?

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

joak
atheist
User is offlineOffline
i grew up in

i grew up in sanford/springvale.  about 30 min south of portland.