Glad I found you

BethK
atheist
BethK's picture
User is offlineOffline
Glad I found you

Hi. I'm new here. I'm not new to atheism, but I've been "confronted" with someone trying to "save my soul" who has had the effect of radicalizing this atheist further! I just don't understand this thing about "saving souls". The bottoms of my shoes are just fine.   Seriously, I can come up with classic responses to some of her sayings, some are classical, and some of her ideas are just plain weird.

Anyway, I've already read or watched a good bit of things by such people as Victor Stenger (God: The failed Hypothesis) and Richard Dawkins, and lighter material such as the gospel of the FSM - but personally, I prefer the IPU for my "invisible friend".

Beth

How's my proselytizing? Call 1-800-FANATIC

Beth

mrOriginal
atheist
mrOriginal's picture
User is offlineOffline
Glad to have you on the

Glad to have you on the forum!! I just found the site a few days ago. Looking forward to more posts from you!

"Whoever feels predestined to see and not to believe will find all believers too noisy and pushy: he guards against them."

Friedrich Nietzsche

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hey, Beth.

Pleased to meet you.

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the forum.

Welcome to the forum.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
 welcome

welcome

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome, you sound like

Welcome, you sound like someone who will fit right in here...

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome, Beth.I've read

Welcome, Beth.

I've read about your loony friend...

There's a lot of great content on this site, and some real live squirrel bait that hang around here.

Oh, and some real poseurs too.

I think one of them is William Lane Craig, trying to trip up some atheists, with his inane 'logic'.

We left him *cough* speechless.

He's 'skeered' to come back out an play...

So, you have the best of both worlds. A little sanity, to surround yourself with some people who are firmly grounded, and content in atheism, and the ability to really challenge the inane things theists say, and convince themselves of.

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
"We've come for your

"We've come for your daughter Chuck"

(Did I think this, or type it?)

Just my silly way of saying, welcome.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Welcome! 

Welcome!

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome aboard.

Welcome aboard.