Religion perpetuates Human conflict

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
Religion perpetuates Human conflict

This is not even a debate.

It's a fact.

An ugly fact that all theists want to deny.

By their very nature, they create conflict. Not cohesion and cooperation.

They are the epitome of antisocial.

Great video that proves the point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3YOIImOoYM

Please add more videos to this thread, in order to support these points

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris

ubuntuAnyone
Theist
ubuntuAnyone's picture
User is offlineOffline
redneF wrote:This is not

redneF wrote:

This is not even a debate.

It's a fact.

An ugly fact that all theists want to deny.

They are the epitome of antisocial.

Great video that proves the point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3YOIImOoYM

Please add more videos to this thread, in order to support these points 

Yeah...and so do those that don't want people to be religious too...

Sure, religion breeds conflict, but so do many other non-religious ideologies.

So the they may be a larger group than merely religious people.

And on the same coin there are religious people who don't like violence and promote peace.

“Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.”

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
I've always thought that any

I've always thought that any dogmatically held belief, whether religious or political, which dominates a society, is likely to lead to conflict, when it comes up against another group with a different and incompatible belief. Especially in a conflict over access to limited resources of land or water, etc.

By their very nature, such differences of ideology are not resolvable by discussion, especially, but not only, religious ones, since they are not rationally based.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

ubuntuAnyone
Theist
ubuntuAnyone's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:By their

BobSpence1 wrote:

By their very nature, such differences of ideology are not resolvable by discussion, especially, but not only, religious ones, since they are not rationally based.

Do you think the same could be said for politics?

“Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.”

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline
ubuntuAnyone

ubuntuAnyone wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

I think he said that he does.

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whip cream."--Frank Zappa

http://atheisticgod.blogspot.com/ Books on atheism

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
ubuntuAnyone

ubuntuAnyone wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

Indeed,  the Republicans in the US are a 'perfect' example. The Democrats are far from perfectly rational, but recent comments and speeches I have heard from the Republicans, and the Tea Party, are real face-palm material.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Agreed Bob but with a

Agreed Bob but with a modification. I think that any time you see a populist movement forming up, you are going to get people standing out in front of the crowd who can generate face palm material at will. For lack of a standard terminology, I would call those people stupid loud mouthed jerks.

Right now, I suspect that you may be hearing more from the tea party than the democrats for more or less that reason. The tea party seems to be gaining momentum while the democrats are fighting to hold on to what power they have. Thus the loud mouths are out in front more on one side than the other.

On the other hand, in times when the democrats hold the upper hand, I see the majority of the face palm material coming from their side.

For example, the whole idea that Obama was born in Kenya thing was floated on the republican side for about a week back in 2006 and then quietly dropped because it was so incredibly stupid. In fact, it was full on balls stupid as Governor George Romney (Mitt's father) challenged Nixon for the 1968 nomination despite having been born in Mexico. We are not talking parent's on vacation born there. We are talking family actively residing in Mexico born there.

There is simply no way that maintaining to birther idea would have failed to explode on republicans had they pushed that agenda much farther. The real push on that front came much later from Clinton supporters. When it was becoming clear that Clinton was not likely to gain enough delegates to secure the nomination automatically, they dusted off the whole born in Kenya thing to spread fear, uncertainty and doubt among potential Obama delegates in order to try to switch their votes at the convention.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Religion is a cause of

Religion is a cause of conflict, because religion is moral relativism. A societies' morality is relative to whatever god or religion they have. An atheist can have an objective morality based on minimizing human suffering.

But the mistake is to assume that religion alone is the source of conflict. Put a bunch of rats in limited area with limited food. What happens? Conflict without religion. So unless population growth is limited to what the environment can sustain, there will be conflict over limited resources. Humans have the capacity to understand this and do something about this, religion is a barrier to a solution because it teaches people to believe in a false reality.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
redneF wrote:By their very

redneF wrote:

The two are not mutually exclusive. However, it's hardly surprising you'd express such a concept in one-dimensional terms, considering how much likeness to Blake's posting style you have.

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kapkao wrote:redneF wrote:By

Kapkao wrote:

redneF wrote:

The two are not mutually exclusive.

Between factions, they are. Their positions are incompatible with each other.

And, in and amongst their own ranks. How many different Judeo Christian offshoots are there, where there are complete incompatibilities?

Kapkao wrote:
However, it's hardly surprising you'd express such a concept in one-dimensional terms

Don't be lazy, and allege something you have presented no evidence for. If you want to debate, play fair.

EXC wrote:
Religion is a cause of conflict, because religion is moral relativism. A societies' morality is relative to whatever god or religion they have. An atheist can have an objective morality based on minimizing human suffering.

Exactly. But, as Sam Harris clearly points out, in all his debates and lectures, is that atheists understand that their incompatibilities, and conflicts, are based on their personal objections.

That's polar opposite to theism.

It's an entirely different debate when the thrust of your argument is based on your personal emotions, and personal opinions, but, entirely in another category, when men are acting as 'moral agents' of gods.

That's the salient point, and crux of the majority of Sam Harris' position.

EXC wrote:
  But the mistake is to assume that religion alone is the source of conflict.

Well, I haven't made that mistake. Unless you can point it out, I don't see where I could have, as I completely agree with your premise.

EXC wrote:
  Put a bunch of rats in limited area with limited food. What happens?

There's a power struggle?

Of course.

What else do you think would happen?

How is that incompatible with what religions have done since antiquity?

Exerted control over populations. They're fascist regimes, who's MO, is to dominate and subjugate, in every sense of those words.

To enslave individuals to an overlord.

But, it extends even further, as Harris points out, very clearly. It extends to the individuals not only acquiesing to becoming enslaved, but, at the same time, being 'moral agents' of an overlord.

They adopt the same MO, and take it upon themselves to be 'citizens on patrol', and attempt to 'police' everyone else's thoughts and behaviours.

Mix religions together, and you have mass conflict, that is unresolvable due to the incompatiblities of the MO's of the different factions.

That's anarchistic.

The only hope for any peace, is segregation, or moderation.

However, moderation leads to other problems, which Harris points out very clearly as well, because now, you have apologists, on both sides, who will attempt to make excuses and/or justify any radical fundamentalist action.

There is no objective morality at that point.

It all becomes subjective.

The gods become 'moot' at that point.

They may as well not be there at all, because they're merely tokens, or ornaments, that people use to absolve themselves of their 'personal' choices.

That's his whole 'We need to get rid of religions' argument.

They're merely symbolic. They were never more than that to begin with, which is well understood by atheists.

He understands that it's insane to think that the radical fundamentalists will ever be convinced otherwise. But, he's trying to appeal to the atheists, and moderates.

EXC wrote:
 So unless population growth is limited to what the environment can sustain, there will be conflict over limited resources.

False premise.

These conflicts were there even when resources were overflowing. These conflicts were about regimes to subjugate, control, command over citizens. That's the major conflict.

The different factions were never civil to each other. That's the second power struggle.

Then there's the conflicts with heretics and apostates. That's another power struggle.

EXC wrote:
Humans have the capacity to understand this and do something about this, religion is a barrier to a solution because it teaches people to believe in a false reality.

Thankfully, moderation, slowed the genocide of heretics and apostates.

Now the atheist is growing in percentages, and in increasing positions of power.

The debates among atheists are between 'subjective' and 'philosophical' positions. Not as power struggles between incompatible gods.

Big difference.

Sam Harris is completely on point.

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
redneF wrote:Kapkao

redneF wrote:

Kapkao wrote:

redneF wrote:

The two are not mutually exclusive.

Between factions, they are. Their positions are incompatible with each other.

And, in and amongst their own ranks. How many different Judeo Christian offshoots are there, where there are complete incompatibilities?

That completely inhibit "cohesion and cooperation"? Not many.

Quote:

Kapkao wrote:
However, it's hardly surprising you'd express such a concept in one-dimensional terms

Don't be lazy, and allege something you have presented no evidence for. If you want to debate, play fair.

Don't be dense.

I don't have a single reason to justify my opinions with verifiable data. They are, after all, my opinions. Also... this isn't debate. Or at least it's a very unusual form of it.

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kapkao wrote:Kapkao wrote:

Kapkao wrote:
Don't be dense.

Fcuk you, asshole.

Kapkao wrote:
I don't have a single reason to justify my opinions with verifiable data. They are, after all, my opinions. Also... this isn't debate.

I can play by those rules.

You're just an idiot, who like to run his mouth, and not say anything cogent.

I get it.

Just my opinion, of course....

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
Here's an interesting video

Here's an interesting video showing why neuroscientists like Sam Harris believe that the answers to spirituality can be isolated, and studied scientifically.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nN3ggRgY7Ac

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Religion is nothing more

Religion is nothing more than a comic book projection in the form of a label, that reflects the REAL evolution of "safety in numbers". It is the conflation of natural human behavior to epic mythological hocus pocus,

It is the idea that a utopia is achievable in reality and that if all others follow this utopia script, we will all be better off. It conflates a label as being more important than the fact that all humans are the same species. It allows humans to set up "us vs them" causing us to treat "outsiders" as a sub species.

But WORSHIP of anything, be it a state, or a god, or celebrity, is bad. It sets one up to be blind to the reality that life is never a script, but a range, and we are not clones of each other.

I can remember when I treated the Redskins as life and death, as if my life depended on it. I also treated Pat Benatar(rock star of the 80s) as deserving of a pedestal. And if back then, someone had spoken ill of either, I would have stopped talking to them and treated them as an enemy. I look back on that stupidity as childish and star struck gullibility.

Politics and religion is nothing more than worship and the only thing to counter such things is to question both. It won't go away, but neither deserves "hands off" status merely because someone is a fan of this label or that label.

Religion is the childish idea that utopias exist with the dangerous mix of politics. Any form of dogmatism, be that of the state or a god, without questioning to keep either in check, society will turn on itself and each other.

Civility is not the result of a religious or political label. Civility is the result of common law through consent of the governed.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog