Why it's not a "Safe Bet" to believe in God

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline
Why it's not a "Safe Bet" to believe in God

The Idea that you should believe in God "just in case", trivializes both faith and reality and concedes your argument before it's begun. (just in case use the atheist wager) it'll cause no harm to yor mentality.  www.alternet.org/belief/149920/why_it%27s_not_a_%27_27_to_believe_in_god   

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Good link

Good link. Thanks for posting another dissection of the worst argument for belief and faith ever : The lousy Pascal Wager.

Judging by alot of the newer atheists that have come on board as of late. I almost think that we should put up some sort of introductory package for newer atheists to read.

For instance, while browsing this site, I noticed that Hambydamnit and Jake both have very excellent articles about people who are new to atheism.

I have also noticed a couple of newer posters that are curious about overcoming their indoctrination and shedding the old vestiges.

I think articles like the one you just posted, a long with a few other threads and blogs could be compiled under maybe something called : New to Atheism ? Stopped believing in god but still got issues ? Read here.

Just saying.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
I like it - it has a bunch

I like it - it has a bunch of stuff I hadn't been energetic enough to gather together coherently.  Incoherence seems to be my default nowadays.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
 Here's a similar

Here's a similar post http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/28845.  Just as the article suggested, taking Pascal's Wager apart is like shooting retarded fish, in a glass of water, with a bazooka.

"Don't seek these laws to understand. Only the mad can comprehend..." -- George Cosbuc

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ken G makes a coherent OP?

Ken G makes a coherent OP? You going sober on me, Ken?

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline
Kapkao wrote : You going sober ?

Well maybe sober, I haven't had a drink in over 15 yrs. , I do have to take pain medicine  and I do smoke (pot)      not cigarettes, I gave up smoking them about 12-13 yrs. ago (ciggs).

Signature ? How ?

ubuntuAnyone
Theist
ubuntuAnyone's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ken G. wrote:      The

Ken G. wrote:

The Idea that you should believe in God "just in case", trivializes both faith and reality and concedes your argument before it's begun. (just in case use the atheist wager) it'll cause no harm to yor mentality.  www.alternet.org/belief/149920/why_it%27s_not_a_%27_27_to_believe_in_god   

The so called "many gods objection" is a lame objection. There's Pascalian ways to even handle that.... I don't think the quote "atheist's wager" is any better either.

The problem with any wager argument is that is forgoes incredulity in general. The issue here then becomes one of believing something in spite of evidence or even in opposition to evidence and reason.

“Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.”