Intelligent Design? Ehh.....not so much

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
Intelligent Design? Ehh.....not so much

Who do you want influencing the minds of children, on tracing the origins of life and the universe?

Experts like Banana Man and Croco Duck philosophers Ray Comfort And Kirk Cameron and Professional Bible thumping BS'ers like William Lane Craig teaching their inferences of intelligent design of a creator?

Or do you want some 'biologist' ?

Like this guy :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epwhHCNaMeE&feature=related

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Give me one good reason to

Give me one good reason to click on that link. I already see enough self induced mind carnage on a daily basis.

I'll answer your question anyway. I want someone who, even if they have a belief, to leave science alone and not bastardize it with superstition.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Give me one

Brian37 wrote:

Give me one good reason to click on that link.

Because it is Richard Dawkins dissecting a giraffe.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Sweet.  I assumed the link was to some idiot being idiotic and so, like Brian, I was avoiding the link.

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
This also points out the

This also points out the pathetic disparity between American 'science' media and other places.  The Brits get this.  We get Sarah Palin's Alaska and Swamp Loggers.  Sad

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Brian37 wrote:

I thought you were joking

Whatever goes upon two legs is an enemy.
Whatever goes upon four legs, or has wings, is a friend.
No animal shall wear clothes.
No animal shall sleep in a bed.
No animal shall drink alcohol.
No animal shall kill any other animal.
All animals are equal.

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Tapey wrote:Answers in Gene

Tapey wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

I thought you were joking

I thought he was joking as well. Then I clicked on the link. But I found it very interesting.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

B166ER
atheist
B166ER's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thanks for the link!

Thanks for the link redneF, I'm going to be watching this with my 12 year old niece, as she's wanted to be a palentologist since she was a toddler and she's as much of a little science buff as I am!

"This may shock you, but not everything in the bible is true." The only true statement ever to be uttered by Jean Chauvinism, sociopathic emotional terrorist.
"A Boss in Heaven is the best excuse for a boss on earth, therefore If God did exist, he would have to be abolished." Mikhail Bakunin
"The means in which you take,
dictate the ends in which you find yourself."
"Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government! Supreme leadership derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!"
No Gods, No Masters!

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
B166ER wrote:Thanks for the

B166ER wrote:

Thanks for the link redneF, I'm going to be watching this with my 12 year old niece, as she's wanted to be a palentologist since she was a toddler and she's as much of a little science buff as I am!

Ya, check it out. It's from a YouTube channel called "WhyEvolutionIsTrue", with over 360 different videos.

In this short video, is show how the laryngeal nerve evolved very poorly from simpler fish, to mammals, and there being no better example than how it evolved in the giraffe, where the nerve starts at the base of the brain, and instead of it logically going straight to the larynx in a straight line, it goes from the brain, all the way down the neck, to the chest, loops around, and then goes back to the larynx.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO1a1Ek-HD0&feature=related

No 'intelligent designer' would do something so stupid.

But check out the entire 5 part episode on the giraffe, and look at the kids in the audience. It's really amazing to see the kids being 'shown' nature, and letting them 'see' with their own eyes, and experience nature for themselves, rather than being 'indoctrinated' with the Yawhoo gods that are angry, and jealous and want you to worship them, or suffer the consequences.

That's the contrast I was going for.

True scientific analysis.

Not metally handicapped people like Ray Comfort concluding that the man made modern banana could only have been created by a god, and spreading disinformation to fool people into 'believing' theism as a source of 'knowledge'.

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
redneF wrote:That's the

redneF wrote:

That's the contrast I was going for.

True scientific analysis.

Not metally handicapped people like Ray Comfort concluding that the man made modern banana could only have been created by a god, and spreading disinformation to fool people into 'believing' theism as a source of 'knowledge'.

Quite a difference.

I'll take the scientists any day.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster wrote:redneF

harleysportster wrote:

Quite a difference.

I'll take the scientists any day.

The 2 things I'm most thankful my parents gave me, were an environment devoid of any religious talk, and strong encouragement to read about science.

Here's a young girl who's already at a deficit, because theists got to her first, while her mind was still plastic, and didn't have the ability to 'reason' properly.

If this isn't 'brainwashed', I don't know what is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GURt8KQ9klg&feature=related

Who knows what potential could have evolved from this child's mind, had science gotten in there first.

She may have been the one to invent the cure for cancer...

I agree with Dawkins. A parent intentionally being an obstacle to a child's mental development of scientific laws and theories, by fostering irrational beliefs in their place, is not neglect, it should be considered abuse of their authority over the child's development.

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
redneF wrote: I agree with

redneF wrote:

I agree with Dawkins. A parent intentionally being an obstacle to a child's mental development of scientific laws and theories, by fostering irrational beliefs in their place, is not neglect, it should be considered abuse of their authority over the child's development.

Speaking from personal experience I would wholeheartedly agree.

― Giordano Bruno

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
I've watched most of these

I've watched most of these now.  Fascinating stuff, super cool, especially for kids.

Also, I have something of a crush on the comparative anatomist.  Her enthusiasm is fantastic.

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
mellestad wrote:I've watched

mellestad wrote:

I've watched most of these now.  Fascinating stuff, super cool, especially for kids.

Also, I have something of a crush on the comparative anatomist.  Her enthusiasm is fantastic.

she looka like a man though, I mean... to each his own but I like my women a bit more feminine.  

"Don't seek these laws to understand. Only the mad can comprehend..." -- George Cosbuc

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Ktulu wrote:mellestad

Ktulu wrote:

mellestad wrote:

she looka like a man though, I mean... to each his own but I like my women a bit more feminine.  

Heh, I like brains.

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
mellestad wrote:Heh, I like

mellestad wrote:

Heh, I like brains.

Brains are the largest sex organ in humans.

You perv...

greek goddess
Rational VIP!Science Freak
greek goddess's picture
User is offlineOffline
redneF wrote:Here's a young

redneF wrote:

Here's a young girl who's already at a deficit, because theists got to her first, while her mind was still plastic, and didn't have the ability to 'reason' properly.

If this isn't 'brainwashed', I don't know what is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GURt8KQ9klg&feature=related

I just wasted 5 minutes of my life watching this video. (The giraffe one, however, was awesome! ) Seriously, this girl's whole argument as to why god and jesus are real is that god and jesus are real? le sigh...

And I tried to leave a comment on that video, but when I went to post, it said "comment pending approval," so you know it will never actually show up under the comments, because I'm sure a voice of dissent won't be allowed. Sad. 

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'd like to do an

I'd like to do an experiment, where you take 100, or 1000 children exactly like her, and send them to a Dawkins Nature Biology Camp, for the summer, isolated from their 'learnin's'.

No contact with their 'indoctrinators'. Their parents, their priest, their bible.

And see if their 'deep beliefs' will not be overturned by what 'nature' shows us.

NoMoreCrazyPeople
atheistSuperfan
NoMoreCrazyPeople's picture
User is offlineOffline
greek goddess wrote:redneF

I formatted this with colour and it smushed it all together in white cant figure it out??? Delete.

NoMoreCrazyPeople
atheistSuperfan
NoMoreCrazyPeople's picture
User is offlineOffline
greek goddess wrote:I just

greek goddess wrote:

I just wasted 5 minutes of my life watching this video. (The giraffe one, however, was awesome! ) Seriously, this girl's whole argument as to why god and jesus are real is that god and jesus are real? le sigh...

This is girl is lost, fucking lost.  I think this is the number one thing that pissess me off about religion, teaching this crazy shit to little kids before they can think for themselves.  And the comments to the video, WTF???  Let's look at what she says:

Lost Little Girl "This is very important!!! You know god and jesus, they created us, and um...monkeys didn't create us, well at least we didn't come from monkeys. Monkeys are not smart, just letting you know...But umm...anyways god and jesus are real, because we got created by them..."  

"Even if your not the most popular kid in school trumpets will blow, everyone will stop what they are doing and watch you come through the gates of heaven, and so even if you are popular that will happen too. You will walk paved, on the streets paved with gold, well I haven't actually been their... nobody has been their and then come back, except I think for jesus, yeah jesus did, no that is not impossible..."

"I'm just letting you know that he is real, and if you believe in him you can go to heaven, but if you don't you have to stay here and the devil will take you down to his layer, which is not a nice place. I herd that everything is on fire, I don't know how this is but everything is on fire and it is dark? I guess it's really hot but it's relaly dark too." 

"And so I think jesus…well god told me that soon jesus was coming doing to earth and so we need to build the temple up against in Jerusalem where I think wait.. yeah it's in Jerusalem and if we don't build that soon then jesus won't come down soon. So if your a constructor or if you are willing to help on Jesus by building the temple back then we can that's just one of things on the list to do before the world ends, so I'm just letting you know about that,so you have to believe, it's a BIG DEAL!!!"    

And then the comments:  

"Atheists beleive we came from rocks. lol... and they call Christianity a belief in magic??? Christianity is more like science than atheism is. Their kicking their own butts in this war and all we Christians have to do is sit back and watch. OH by the way; you are missing the whole point and purpose behind "being like a child". It merely means to know your place. to not set yourself above others through ego and Pride, you know, like we adults do. It's the one thing that caused Satan's Fall."  "nice video ... but there is one thing missing and it's kind of important. Some people might think I am nitpicking here but it is not just that you have to believe in the Lord Jesus Christ but also that you need to repent of your sins. Besides that good video." "good video God bless you"  "nice"  "i totally agree"   

"good video God bless you"  "nice"  "i totally agree" 

"this wee lassie has more brains than richard dawkins and christopher hitchens and just about every athiest put together! XD great vid and god bless"

This is sad, these people are so lost, right out their minds in loonyville...

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
"Atheists believe we came from rocks..."

Not true - but we do suspect the brains of theists are made from them...

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck