What would it take? Answer these questions.

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
What would it take? Answer these questions.

I'd like to know people's response to the follow questions. What would it take to eliminate the following scourges from the world? What changes in cultural attitudes, new technologies, education, laws and government policies would be necessary to end these?

To end crime?

To end poverty?

To end environmental damage?

To end religion?

To end all suffering, human and animal?

Is the cure for these things worse than the disease?

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Manageri wrote:Beyond Saving

Manageri wrote:

Beyond Saving wrote:

I have killed many animals in my life but I have never deluded myself into thinking I was doing the animal a favor.

That's great, can you answer the question now? Is it better to end the life of a suffering, dying animal than it is to let it suffer?

That depends on how hungry you are. From the animals point of view, it is certainly better to let it live. But, I like to eat animals so I go for my personal enjoyment and kill it.

I also don't think it is better to kill a person because they are suffering. I fully support their right to kill themselves should they choose but I am not going to kill them because I think it is a good thing to end their suffering.

What is it about suffering that makes you think it is so horrible that it must end at all costs?

Apparently you see suffering as some great evil that should be obliterated or avoided. I don't. Suffering is part of life, sometimes it really sucks but even in suffering, life is often worth living. It is possible to suffer and experience pleasure at the same time; I would argue that the experience of pleasure is often magnified by suffering. It usually isn't one or the other and I doubt any person that has had an extended life hasn't had both joys and suffering. 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
Manageri wrote:Nuke the

Manageri wrote:

Nuke the planet. 

IOW, throw the baby out with the bath water...

Brilliant.

Did you graduate with honours?

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Alternatively we can

redneF wrote:

Manageri wrote:

Nuke the planet. 

Brilliant.

just wait for humans to deplete Earth to such an extent it cannot support large populations anymore. Mmmmm. I don't think there's a single fix. Maybe we'll invent a computer that will tell us exactly what to do, dispassionately and without bias but with an eye to doing the bestest for the mostest. We could call it SkyPilotNet.

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist

Atheistextremist wrote:

redneF wrote:

Manageri wrote:

Nuke the planet. 

Brilliant.

just wait for humans to deplete Earth to such an extent it cannot support large populations anymore. Mmmmm. I don't think there's a single fix. Maybe we'll invent a computer that will tell us exactly what to do, dispassionately and without bias but with an eye to doing the bestest for the mostest. We could call it SkyPilotNet.

Nah, it would just tell us the answer is 42 and start snickering.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jeepers

I thought the answer was 54...

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist wrote:  I

Atheistextremist wrote:

From The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:

"In the first novel and radio series, a group of hyper-intelligent pan-dimensional beings demand to learn the Ultimate Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, The Universe, and Everything from the supercomputer, Deep Thought, specially built for this purpose. It takes Deep Thought 7½ million years to compute and check the answer, which turns out to be 42. Unfortunately, The Ultimate Question itself is unknown."

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
DoubleS wrote:Ending crime

DoubleS wrote:

Ending crime needs the ending of the human race. Or simply redefining everything as not crime. As long as something can be done to the advantage of any other human then some human will do it, criminal or not. Usually crime is against some ral or imagined hurt, as long as there are humans there will always be real or imagined hurts, and thus crime.

But many people never commit crimes. A function of genetics and environment. So if genetics and environment could be modified, why not?

I think the basic problem is that we have a competitive society. The people that are losing are going to do anything to avoid losing further.

DoubleS wrote:

Poverty is easier. One a system where the basic necessities are taken care of by default. A way humans can access energy to meet any imaginable needs and a good resource distribution system. Though I fear we will then simply redefine poverty.

I would define poverty as suffering due to inability to obtain proper food, clothing, shelter and medicine.

It would require a rational social contract that requires people to limit their family size and contribute economically to the society. Otherwise population growth will limit the available resources to adequately take care of people.

DoubleS wrote:

There is no such a thing as environmental damage. What there is, is change. Over the ages the environment has moved from one state to another. Earth still exists, albeit supporting different lifeforms, or no lifeforms. What you are really asking to do here is maintain the environment in a manner beneficial to humanity. The environment is neutral as to life and/or humanity. I'm not sure we can keep the environment static at all, and keeping it beneficial to humanity might entail keeping it static, or nearly so.

I would define environmental damage as human activities that produce mass extinctions, mass death and suffering of other species and that make the planet less pleasing to humans.

This probabably would require humans live in space, only use the earth as an occasional vacation destination.

DoubleS wrote:

Cannot be done. Some people, however much knowledge is available to them will still choose what to believe, rational or otherwise. Some others will prey on this gullibility.

Again this goes back to having a competitive society. Eliminate that and religion goes away. Or just have legal drugs that are better than religion.

DoubleS wrote:

Again an impossible goal. Humans and animals all require nourishment and all require a way to propagate their genes. This will result in suffering. A lion needs to kill in order to feed, it needs to mate with a lioness to the detriment of some other lion that would want to mate with the same lioness. In order to remove all suffering for humans and animals we would have to remove all humans and animals. Methinks that cure is worse than the disease.

Why can't the link between nourishment/genetics be re-engineered? Suffering seems like natures way of limiting population growth. Why not other methods that don't involve suffering? A lion could be feed artificial meat, have it testicles chopped off and be cloned. Then given anti-depressants if it ever feels bad.

This is what humans do, change how nature works to suit our needs and desires. If the end of suffering is a desire why not take the next step?

DoubleS wrote:

EXC wrote:

Is the cure for these things worse than the disease?

In many instances, yes.

But we have a scientific method to determine what are the real effects of cure. We can't approve a new cure for a disease until all the side affects are studied(unless the drug companies bribe someone). If humans can follow this method, these problems could be tackled. But it would seem we are more motivated by fear and superstition than by reason.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
cj wrote:Atheistextremist

cj wrote:

Atheistextremist wrote:

From The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:

"In the first novel and radio series, a group of hyper-intelligent pan-dimensional beings demand to learn the Ultimate Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, The Universe, and Everything from the supercomputer, Deep Thought, specially built for this purpose. It takes Deep Thought 7½ million years to compute and check the answer, which turns out to be 42. Unfortunately, The Ultimate Question itself is unknown."

The correct answer is 54 the right answer is 42.  Just ask Mr. M, he'll explain how that works.

The question is even simpler, "How many miles must a man walk down?"

I loved that book. Smiling

"Don't seek these laws to understand. Only the mad can comprehend..." -- George Cosbuc

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
EXC wrote:Again this goes

EXC wrote:

Again this goes back to having a competitive society. Eliminate that and religion goes away.

It seems to me, a common theme among theists, is that of morality.

It's well known that we often see ourselves in others. So, it seems to me that they are most afraid of what they see in themselves, and the potentials that lurk, when they look at others.

They don't 'trust' that others wouldn't lose control and become savage. Because they see that potential lurking in themselves.

So, it would be natural that they would want to be protected somehow.

A supernatural superhero would fit the bill nicely, in that instance.

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris

DoubleS
atheist
DoubleS's picture
User is offlineOffline
EXC wrote:But many people

EXC wrote:

But many people never commit crimes. A function of genetics and environment. So if genetics and environment could be modified, why not?

I think the basic problem is that we have a competitive society. The people that are losing are going to do anything to avoid losing further.

Much of what we call crimes are redefinitions of what used to be acceptable behaviour. For example in many societies that follow the western mode of thought polygamy is a crime, yet many of these societies polygamy used to be a norm. We also have, on our statutes, victimless crimes. Crimes that have no complainant except society/government and are sometimes done to enforce "public morals". In Kenya, for example, we legislate against bedroom behaviour. Homosexual acts are prohibited, while homosexuality is not, yet, illegal. Thus you can be homosexual but as long as you do not commit a homosexual act you have not committed a crime. As societies change, the nature of crime changes. Having limited resources does have an effect too on criminal behaviour.

EXC wrote:

I would define poverty as suffering due to inability to obtain proper food, clothing, shelter and medicine.

It would require a rational social contract that requires people to limit their family size and contribute economically to the society. Otherwise population growth will limit the available resources to adequately take care of people.

Exactly. Thus finding a way to distribute "proper" food, shelter and medicine would eliminate that kind of poverty. However now the people with less access to higher level good/services are now redefined as poor.

EXC wrote:

I would define environmental damage as human activities that produce mass extinctions, mass death and suffering of other species and that make the planet less pleasing to humans.

This probabably would require humans live in space, only use the earth as an occasional vacation destination.

You are defining environmental change from the human perspective. You are also limiting it to what humans are as at now. Humans can evolve, either naturally or artificially, to the point where a different environment is pleasing to them. The planet has had mass extinctions before and probably will have more. What we humans are trying to do is avoid being the in the next mass extinction.

DoubleS wrote:

Cannot be done. Some people, however much knowledge is available to them will still choose what to believe, rational or otherwise. Some others will prey on this gullibility.

EXC wrote:

Again this goes back to having a competitive society. Eliminate that and religion goes away. Or just have legal drugs that are better than religion.

Are we not, then, replacing on religion with another of drugs?

EXC wrote:

Why can't the link between nourishment/genetics be re-engineered? Suffering seems like natures way of limiting population growth. Why not other methods that don't involve suffering? A lion could be feed artificial meat, have it testicles chopped off and be cloned. Then given anti-depressants if it ever feels bad.

This is what humans do, change how nature works to suit our needs and desires. If the end of suffering is a desire why not take the next step?

This sounds more like changing our desires and needs to suit a principle. It could, perhaps, end suffering but then it also IMO ends pleasure.

EXC wrote:

But we have a scientific method to determine what are the real effects of cure. We can't approve a new cure for a disease until all the side affects are studied(unless the drug companies bribe someone). If humans can follow this method, these problems could be tackled. But it would seem we are more motivated by fear and superstition than by reason.

Do we, though, have scientific methods to determine the desirability of the cure? Mayhaps we could cure heterosexual tendencies scientifically and remove much of the cause of jealousy, pain and unwanted child bearing however is this a desirable outcome?

Cogito, ergo sum: I perceive, thus I do sums.

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
redneF wrote:EXC wrote:Again

redneF wrote:

EXC wrote:

Again this goes back to having a competitive society. Eliminate that and religion goes away.

It's well known that we often see ourselves in others. So, it seems to me that they are most afraid of what they see in themselves, and the potentials that lurk, when they look at others.

They don't 'trust' that others wouldn't lose control and become savage. Because they see that potential lurking in themselves.

I think the attribute of being competitive is what made us what we are today.  If you take that out, we would have a bunch of 'pussies' doing a big circle jerk and singing cumbaya.  We would no longer be humans.  Eliminate that and everything goes away.

As for morality, I think it is more a warped perspective rather then the theists being 'demonic' for lack of a better word ( and to imply that you're demonizing them ).  I was blessed without much of a conscience from birth, but I see reason to cooperate with everyone else.  It gave me a personal perspective on morality that I've since learned to be self evident upon better study.  In that I mean it is all subjective.  The potential is there in everyone, if you understand that, it is liberating in a way, when you fuck up.  Also you tend to hold yourself ultimately accountable.

Having a god to take the responsibility is tempting though. 

"Don't seek these laws to understand. Only the mad can comprehend..." -- George Cosbuc

DoubleS
atheist
DoubleS's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ktulu wrote:I was blessed

Ktulu wrote:

I was blessed without much of a conscience from birth, but I see reason to cooperate with everyone else.  It gave me a personal perspective on morality that I've since learned to be self evident upon better study.  In that I mean it is all subjective.  The potential is there in everyone, if you understand that, it is liberating in a way, when you fuck up.  Also you tend to hold yourself ultimately accountable.

When I was young I kept wondering what was wrong with me. Everybody else around me was claiming self evident morals while I had to think about every single moral decision that I made. At one point, when I was in the Jesus freak phrase, I prayed hard to get this automatic moral sense and Jesus failed to get me one. I had to work mine out from first principles. It did give me a rather interesting perspective on human morality however my teachers, somehow, did not seem to agree with me on this, especially since I was not always willing to feel guilty over some natural function. You are probably the first person I've met who admits to not having been born with one.

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ktulu wrote:It seems to me,

Ktulu wrote:

Right. The best argument the theist have is the morality argument. Apparently theists believe they would turn into mass murdering psychopaths without having a belief in imaginary places of eternal reward or punishment to restrain themselves. So I guess they should keep their religion until science is able to invent better anti-psychotic drugs to control their violent impulses.

Ktulu wrote:

I think the attribute of being competitive is what made us what we are today.  If you take that out, we would have a bunch of 'pussies' doing a big circle jerk and singing cumbaya.  We would no longer be humans.  Eliminate that and everything goes away.

As for morality, I think it is more a warped perspective rather then the theists being 'demonic' for lack of a better word ( and to imply that you're demonizing them ).  I was blessed without much of a conscience from birth, but I see reason to cooperate with everyone else.  It gave me a personal perspective on morality that I've since learned to be self evident upon better study.  In that I mean it is all subjective.  The potential is there in everyone, if you understand that, it is liberating in a way, when you fuck up.  Also you tend to hold yourself ultimately accountable.

The attribute of cooperation is also "what made us what we are today". You cooperate with people when you see it is to your advantage, you compete when it is necessary. The change that needs to happen is for more win-win situations to be generated, otherwise humanity is going to be continually in a state of conflict.

The reason you have this aversion to this "singing cumbaya" kind of religion is that it is a scam. Religions compete against each other, religion tells people they should have large families that compete for limited resources. Religion is an opiate for the suffering in the world(or at least promises to be), hence it is also a cause of even more suffering.

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Tapey wrote:Perhaps It is my

Tapey wrote:
Perhaps It is my fault that I didn't explain properly.

The presence of pain is bad

The presence of pleasure is good

The Absence of pain is good, even if that good is not enjoyed by anyone

The absence of pleasure is not bad unless there is somebody for whom this absence is a deprivation.

You explained it fine. I still don't agree. You're still just making arbitrary moral assertions.

Tapey wrote:
If it helps think of it like this, after all good and bad are far from idea words to use, after all it is concieveable to think that lacking the best is a bad thing when you have the second best, that is the wrong way to view the words,

Making up your own definition and calling that the "right" way doesn't make it the "right" way! There is no "right" or "wrong" way to use a word. There are dictionary definitions, and there is established or common usage. Furthermore, nakedly asserting the superiority of your arbitrary definitions doesn't mean you've made a sound moral argument. That is a completely incoherent non sequitur.

Tapey wrote:
Right now I am not feeling any pleasure.. is that a bad thing? No it is my netraul default state, no one is depriving me of pleasure. I am in no pain and feel no discomfort. How can that be a bad thing (don't judge it as if you have pleasure)? It would be better if I was feeling pleasure sure, feeling pleasure would be a good thing but the fact that I am not in pleasure is not bad, there are 3 options, not being good does not make something bad. The lack of something good does not harm you. I really don't think you can disagree with this. You can say it the other way but that doesn't mean it makes sense.

Remember Lacking pleasure will not take us down in the 'bad end".  You poor thing you didn't get a ferrari, it just doesn't quite work, not having a ferrari isn't a bad thing, you are not any worse off for not having one because you have never had one so how can you be worse off than your netraul state for not having it? If someone had taken it away them yes, you would be worse of.

Right now I am not in pain, (say nothing about what pleasure I may or not be feeling) that is good. Any way you look at it, the fact that I am not screaming in agony is a good thing. It should be uncontraversial to say that no one is in pain? That is a good thing. Now you will want to say No one is in pleasure? That is a bad thing, but read above it really isn't. Remember judge everything from the neutral point on the line. Do not judge it from the point of having pleasure or having pain because then the english I have been using doesn't really make sense and it makes no sense to do so anyway.The luck of something bad does not make it neutral  it is just a good thing.

You are doing nothing but repeating the same unsound argument, but unconsciously trying to convince me and yourself into believing that it is different by showing the premises differently.

Watch:

"Right now I am not feeling any "pain".. is that a "good" thing? No it is my netraul default state, no one is "saving" me "from pain." I am "feeling no pleasure." How can that be a "good" thing (don't judge it as if you have pain)? It would be "worse" if I was feeling "pain" sure, feeling "pain" would be a "bad" thing but the fact that I am not in "pain" is not "good," there are 3 options, not being "bad" does not make something "good." The lack of something "bad" does not "pleasure" you. I really don't think you can disagree with this."

"Right now I am not "feeling pleasure," (say nothing about what "pain" I may or not be feeling) that is "bad." Any way you look at it, the fact that I am not "jumping for joy" is a "bad" thing. It should be uncontraversial to say that no one is "feeling pleasure?" That is a "bad" thing. Now you will want to say No one is in "pain?" That is a "good" thing, but read above it really isn't. Remember judge everything from the neutral point on the line. Do not judge it from the point of having "pain" or having "pleasure" because then the english I have been using doesn't really make sense and it makes no sense to do so anyway.The luck of something "good" does not make it neutral  it is just a "bad" thing."

Tapey wrote:
You can say it the other way but that doesn't mean it makes sense.

Oh, but your version does make sense? Why? Why does your version make sense and mine doesn't?

Is this going to be the crux of your argument? Your subjective naked moral assertions are automatically true, not requiring any justification, but mine are automatically false because I disagree with you?

If your "neutral state" was really a good description of the default state of being (And I don't think it is; it is far too simplistic), then your argument would not even fit inside your own model. By your own logic, lack of pain and pleasure would put you at neutral, so neither of them are good or bad. 

"The absence of "pain" does not "give you pleasure" so is neutral. Only Something which "pleasures" can be "good," lacking "pain" is not a "pleasure" (read the ferrari example)."

"The Absence of "pleasure" means you are not "given any pleasure" which is "bad." "Pleasure" can "benefit you" so it can be "good," the lack of this "good" can only be discribed as a "bad" thing."

Tapey wrote:
If you think of it in this way it should clear up the asymmetry.

NO, it does not.

Tapey wrote:
Yes there is an asymmetry, but it is between pleasure and pain. They just don't work the same way. We understand them differantly.

I think this covers most of your post.

"We" don't understand them differently. We have subjective preferences, and you are imposing your subjective preferences on reality.

Tapey wrote:
Look it appears your only disagreement is with the intial four steps, where you believe there is an asymitery. If you agree there this falls into place. So I'm not going to argue here excpt to say. Because you are not depriving anyone of pleasure, they don't exist. That is not bad. You cannot deprive something that doesn't exist. You cannot risk depriving, either they exist or they don't. Once existing they can be deprived but before that they cannot be deprived.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but: "Because you are not "saving" anyone "from pain," they don't exist. That is not "good." You cannot "take away" something that doesn't exist. You cannot risk "saving," either they exist or they don't. Once existing they can be "saved" but before that they cannot be "saved.""

Tapey wrote:
So because it goes against your values it is a bad arguement. Atheism is against many peoples values.

YES. They are not certainly "bad" in the sense that they are unsound, as I contend that no moral argument is ever truly sound. They are simply "bad" in that I do not agree with their morals. E.g. an argument for committing genocide against a race or ethnic group is a "bad" because I do not like killing so many people and certainly not for such a silly reason. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethical_subjectivism

http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/keith_augustine/moral.html

Atheism is a position concerning reality, not preferences. Whether you value a belief in God or not does not affect whether or not a God actually exists.

Tapey wrote:
So why is life better than no life?

butterbattle wrote:
Why is pleasure better than pain? Because that is our preference.

Tapey wrote:
You have no preferances when you don't exist.

Red herring.

Tapey wrote:
btw I will agree with you, this arguement is absurd. But I don't think it is for any of the reasons you have said. I don't think I have heard a completely satisfactory explaination as to why it is wrong.

Arguments are not true until proven wrong. You should not believe them until they are proven true, and you have not supported any of your premises outside of your own subjective opinion. 

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
butterbattle wrote:yada

butterbattle wrote:
yada yada

I could argue but I fail to see a point in it. The point of useful conversation has past. I shall leave it as, if your subjective morals/ feelings/ whatever agree with the subjective premises I stated then don't have kids and do your best to convince others not to have kids. I can see you won't be convinced to accept the premises so there is no point in continuing.

Whatever goes upon two legs is an enemy.
Whatever goes upon four legs, or has wings, is a friend.
No animal shall wear clothes.
No animal shall sleep in a bed.
No animal shall drink alcohol.
No animal shall kill any other animal.
All animals are equal.

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
butterbattle wrote:Making up

butterbattle wrote:

Making up your own definition and calling that the "right" way doesn't make it the "right" way!

I'm totally with you on that.

butterbattle wrote:
There is no "right" or "wrong" way to use a word.

I can't agree with that.

Could you elaborate more on what you mean?

Because, the more s**t I see online from filibustering alphabet soup ninjas like William Lane Craig, make me want to take away his Alpha Bits, for his BS linguistics gymnastics that never say anything fcuking cogent, and are merely posturing as 'sophistication', when it's simply a steaming hot pile of turd.

Like his hackneyed category error "Atheism is false".

I know that POS is more than intelligent enough to have proper grammar, and syntax, and that he intentionally misuses and abuses the english language to 'confuse' when he can't 'convince'.

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Tapey wrote:butterbattle

Tapey wrote:

butterbattle wrote:
yada yada

I could argue but I fail to see a point in it. The point of useful conversation has past. I shall leave it as, if your subjective morals/ feelings/ whatever agree with the subjective premises I stated then don't have kids and do your best to convince others not to have kids. I can see you won't be convinced to accept the premises so there is no point in continuing.

*Sigh*

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
mellestad wrote:Tapey

mellestad wrote:

Tapey wrote:

butterbattle wrote:
yada yada

*Sigh*

I assume you have some problem with that?

Whatever goes upon two legs is an enemy.
Whatever goes upon four legs, or has wings, is a friend.
No animal shall wear clothes.
No animal shall sleep in a bed.
No animal shall drink alcohol.
No animal shall kill any other animal.
All animals are equal.

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
DoubleS wrote:Ktulu wrote:I

DoubleS wrote:

Ktulu wrote:

I was blessed without much of a conscience from birth, but I see reason to cooperate with everyone else.  It gave me a personal perspective on morality that I've since learned to be self evident upon better study.  In that I mean it is all subjective.  The potential is there in everyone, if you understand that, it is liberating in a way, when you fuck up.  Also you tend to hold yourself ultimately accountable.

When I was young I kept wondering what was wrong with me. Everybody else around me was claiming self evident morals while I had to think about every single moral decision that I made. At one point, when I was in the Jesus freak phrase, I prayed hard to get this automatic moral sense and Jesus failed to get me one. I had to work mine out from first principles. It did give me a rather interesting perspective on human morality however my teachers, somehow, did not seem to agree with me on this, especially since I was not always willing to feel guilty over some natural function. You are probably the first person I've met who admits to not having been born with one.

Well, it depends on how far it goes.  That 'innate' sense of morality is a combination of cultural conditional and instinctive empathy.  Both of those things are going to be variable for the individual based on genetics and environmental factors, so some people are going to assimilate strongly with their culture's values and feel strong empathy for others, some will be the opposite and every combination in between.

If you literally have no sense of 'innate morality' though there is probably something abnormal about your brain that keeps you from being able to relate to your culture or feel empathy.

It is also possible to train yourself to adopt a moral system and then use a conscious process to come to decisions about ethics, regardless of your capacity for empathy or taught cultural values....although I suppose it is probably easier to take that path if you don't have as much 'innate morality'.

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Tapey wrote:mellestad

Tapey wrote:

mellestad wrote:

Tapey wrote:

butterbattle wrote:
yada yada

*Sigh*

I assume you have some problem with that?

Yes, I have a problem with a lengthy and thought out response that gets a reply of, "yada yada, I give up."  It is disappointing.

DoubleS
atheist
DoubleS's picture
User is offlineOffline
mellestad wrote:Well, it

mellestad wrote:

Well, it depends on how far it goes.  That 'innate' sense of morality is a combination of cultural conditional and instinctive empathy.  Both of those things are going to be variable for the individual based on genetics and environmental factors, so some people are going to assimilate strongly with their culture's values and feel strong empathy for others, some will be the opposite and every combination in between.

If you literally have no sense of 'innate morality' though there is probably something abnormal about your brain that keeps you from being able to relate to your culture or feel empathy.

It is also possible to train yourself to adopt a moral system and then use a conscious process to come to decisions about ethics, regardless of your capacity for empathy or taught cultural values....although I suppose it is probably easier to take that path if you don't have as much 'innate morality'.

I use the latter approach. While I do feel empathy I fail to automatically relate it to morals. I'll tend to say "I empathise with your pain and the feeling is not good, so we should find a way to reduce or eliminate your pain." However I've had a problem dealing with morality where I do not see any harm. Things like prostitution, homosexuality, drug use, blasphemy or fornication do not raise in me a feeling of moral revulsion. Maybe there is something abnormal about my brain.

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
DoubleS wrote:mellestad

mellestad wrote:

There is plenty of evidence that we can all see around us, of people being 'reconditioned'.

For example, particularly with musicians, their ear can become 'tempered' to a certain style of music.

Or you can use the example of baiting a fish hook with a worm. Some people can do it, no problem, and some people get accustomed after a while, and some can never get over their 'hang ups' about it.

Or, like the example of 'acquired taste'.

There are more cultural differences as well. In some cultures, they eat cats and dogs, without giving it a second thought. Other cultures would rather starve.

Same with seafood. I know people that are repulsed by any seafood. Anything with 'eyes', they can't deal with.

Smells are another one. There can be very strong physiological responses to smell.

Another one that a lot of us can relate to is body hair. In North America, the thought of seeing a woman with armpit hair, is very disagreeable, while in Europe, there are many cultures where it's no big deal.

Same with pubic hair. Some men have strong preferences for one and not the other, and some are ambivalent to it.

These are the kinds of observations which lead to guys like Sam Harris, theorizing that there are indeed ways to study what falls under the heading 'morality', which is simply a category of things that we resonate with in a postive manner, and things that don't.

And why it's silly to even factor a god into the equation as the origins for those kinds of things.

There are no 'objective morals'. That would be like saying 'objective preferences', or 'objective likes/dislikes'.

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
You can't, the sun will

You can't, the sun will committ murder one day by burning up this planet and all life on it. We as life are just a part of the whole anyway though. Everything we destroy is reborn as something else. Suffering is an illusion brought on by a will to survive that been handed to us by nature which again is just part of the natural order.

All we can really do is try to enjoy what we can and all the better if you enjoy helping others to enjoy this walking talking feeling part we get to play in the universe as possibly a part of it's self discovery.

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
redneF wrote:I can't agree

redneF wrote:
I can't agree with that.

I think you will agree once I explain it better. All I meant was that there is no inherently "right" definition; that is simply incoherent. As I said, there is established or common usage in some way, and there are dictionary definitions. So, the assertion, "Atheism is false," is a category error based on the definition that atheism is non-belief in any god or gods. What Tapey did was redefine the meaning of pain and pleasure and claiming that it was the "right" way to understand them, basically pulling an objective normative out of thin air and saying that I had to agree.  

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Manageri wrote:I don't think

Manageri wrote:
I don't think they make sense when you flip it and I think the best way to demonstrate that is to apply them.

For example with your version it becomes totally acceptable to create lives with the sole purpose of those lives immediately going to hell forever because there's no harm being prevented by not making those lives. Does that really sound right to you? If you want a realistic example, imagine a baby that's gonna be born with a condition that causes severe pain and will kill the baby shortly after birth. It would be totally fine to mass produce such babies for the lulz if we accept your version of the argument.

First of all, I never meant to claim the truth of the statements that I made by replacing "good" with "bad" and vice versa. That was simply to demonstrate the arbitrariness and unjustifiability of your own statements. I.e. I'm not telling you accept my version of my argument; it illustrates that your argument is unsound.

I would never ask you to accept such sweeping moral statements. I'm a moral subjectivist.

That aside, I find it quite ironic that you're now arguing against my statements by argumentum ad consequentiam, considering that you think it's fine for us to nuke the world as a consequence of your statements. Internally inconsistent.

Manageri wrote:
Now would preventing a life that's going to heaven be as bad as preventing the hellbound life is good? I'd say it's not, because the life doesn't need pleasure before it exists.

Good and bad are a subjective, 'symmetrical' dichotomy about our moral preferences. If you like it, it is good. If you don't like it, it is bad. Unless you redefine these terms, you are never going to escape the fact that I can replace "good" with "bad" in everything you say; it follows directly from how they are defined.

See?

"Now would preventing "the hellbound life be as good" as "preventing a life that's going to heaven is bad?" I'd say it's not, because the life "isn't saved from pain before it exists."

Manageri wrote:
You'd be preventing it from gaining pleasure but you also prevent it from ever needing it.

"You'd "save it from pain," but you also prevent it "from ever needing to escape it.""

Manageri wrote:
You'll run into some hurdles if you reject this because if you think creating life is good overall and the unborn lives are somehow being deprived, then you must advocate that everyone has as many babies as they possibly can to "save" them, at least up to whatever point you think creating more lives is not lowering everyone's quality of life too much.

Again, strawman. I'm a moral subjectivist.

Nevertheless, I can still do the same thing: "You'll run into some hurdles if you reject this because if you think creating life is "bad" overall, and the unborn lives are somehow being "saved," then you must advocate that everyone "should die or never have been born!!"

Funny that this is actually your position. Or....not funny, depending on how you look at it.

Manageri wrote:
You can again argue that one can't suffer before they exist either but the point is not to make things better for the uncreated life that would suffer, it's to prevent that life from coming into existence and THEN suffering. You can flip this and say the point of creating the good life is to allow it to to exist and then gain pleasure, but it doesn't need that before it exists. The bad life on the other hand does need to be prevented or it will suffer when it exists.

"You can again argue that one can't "experience pleasure before they exist either" but the point is not to make things better for the uncreated life that would "experience pleasure," it's to "allow that life to come" into existence and THEN "experience pleasure." You can flip this and say the point of preventing "bad" life is to "not allow it to exist" and "thus prevent pain," but "it's not saved from" that before it exists. The "good" life on the other hand does need to be "given so it will experience pleasure when it exists."

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
butterbattle wrote:redneF

butterbattle wrote:

redneF wrote:
I can't agree with that.

I think you will agree once I explain it better. All I meant was that there is no inherently "right" definition;

Ya, totally agree. That's why I was surprised when I read your comment. I don't see you make category errors.

The whole 'objective moral' thing is so completely bankrupt, as an idea to describe actions.

No different than trying to qualify personal ideas, like 'good' music. There's 'good' music, and 'bad' music.

Or is there?

How would one 'objectively' (universally) say one tune is bad, and one that is good?

Taken one step further, how can we even have the idea that one tune is 'right', and one tune is 'wrong'?

Or is 'sweet' good, and bitter 'bad'? Because I know people who dislike sweets, and I know people who like bitter things.

One step further, is sweet 'right' or 'wrong'?

Or is bitter 'right' or 'wrong'?

That's not even poor articulation.

Those kinds of quantitative juxtapositions are cognitively dissonant ideas.

That's why that William Lane Craig guy just makes my skin crawl. He's such a filibustering POS used car salesman, posturing as a 'scholar'.

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Tapey wrote:I shall leave it

Tapey wrote:
I shall leave it as, if your subjective morals/ feelings/ whatever agree with the subjective premises I stated then don't have kids and do your best to convince others not to have kids.

If you thought that was my position, then you don't even understand what I was trying to do.

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Here's how the cookie

Here's how the cookie crumbles. Even if you guys could show that my version was flawed in some way compared to yours, which I contend is impossible, because mine is the same, but replaced with different subjective preferences, it would only demonstrate that your statements are not internally inconsistent in the way that I've described. You still have to justify your premises, jesus. Asserting an objective moral does not make an objective moral. Using that to say you should nuke the world is just scary. This is exactly what a religious person does, except you skipped a step, offense intended.

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
DoubleS wrote:mellestad

DoubleS wrote:

mellestad wrote:

I use the latter approach. While I do feel empathy I fail to automatically relate it to morals. I'll tend to say "I empathise with your pain and the feeling is not good, so we should find a way to reduce or eliminate your pain." However I've had a problem dealing with morality where I do not see any harm. Things like prostitution, homosexuality, drug use, blasphemy or fornication do not raise in me a feeling of moral revulsion. Maybe there is something abnormal about my brain.

If you feel empathy, then I doubt it.  You've just not assimilated the standard American moral culture.  Not a bad thing, imo, I've rejected most 'victimless' crimes myself.  Like you, I need a reason for something to be immoral before I consider it immoral.

Teralek
Teralek's picture
User is offlineOffline
End Crime: Create a Big

End Crime: Create a Big Brother police or mind control device for the entire population. If you mean just to significantly reduce crime than you just need to have the most advanced and neutral educational system possible, a true democratic system where people decide the main decisions, not parties or private enterprises. Outstanding judicial system and ending extremes of poverty and richness.

End poverty: If you mean end the absence of adequate shelter, clothing and food... then you will need the most advanced and neutral educational system possible; to end extremes of poverty and richness; Control population growth (probably decrease world population); Make labor not only a duty but a right and adjust several factors to this end like: work hours; mixed economy; economy driven not to GDP but to general Well-being, and the pursuit of happiness must be focused on human relations and personal growth instead of wealth accumulation. 

End environmental damage: Develop a holistic view of the planet and of our relationship to it, to this you need again... the most advanced and neutral educational system possible. Radically change the social economic paradigm OR enforce rigid laws to protect the environment.

End Religion: "Religion is a cultural system that creates powerful and long-lasting meaning, by establishing symbols that relate humanity to truths and values." (wikip) - This is impossible to end... sorry... to end this you'd have to end human race as we know it.

End all suffering, human and animal - To this you need to do everything I've said previously, plus change all humans and animals from their current biological form to a theoretical form on which it would be almost impossible to suffer... or believe in Plato's cavern... Oh! and end sex and human deceptions.

Teralek
Teralek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Manageri wrote:I really

Manageri wrote:

I really might just nuke the planet if I could, I have a hard time justifying the ridicilous amount of suffering in the world all for the sake of the pleasure that is only necessitated by the same existence that causes the suffering. IOW killing everything eliminates both suffering and the need for pleasure, happiness, etc. so it seems like a win-win to me.

Why don't you start by killing yourself?! Man I am discovering a very pessimistic side to atheism! Now I know why it is easier to believe! 

Manageri
atheist
Manageri's picture
User is offlineOffline
butterbattle wrote:First of

butterbattle wrote:

First of all, I never meant to claim the truth of the statements that I made by replacing "good" with "bad" and vice versa. That was simply to demonstrate the arbitrariness and unjustifiability of your own statements. I.e. I'm not telling you accept my version of my argument; it illustrates that your argument is unsound.

I would never ask you to accept such sweeping moral statements. I'm a moral subjectivist.

That aside, I find it quite ironic that you're now arguing against my statements by argumentum ad consequentiam, considering that you think it's fine for us to nuke the world as a consequence of your statements. Internally inconsistent.

Firstly I gotta say this is in no way an argument for objective morals. It only assumes you accept suffering as a bad thing, which is entirely up to you. That's no more an assertion of objective morality than your position that life has some inherent value. I see what you mean about reversing the argument though and how it can't prove anything alone (which is why I'm not quoting your whole post, if you think I left out something important that's unrelated to this let me know). I do think however that the consequences are exactly what we should be looking at.

I know you weren't claiming the flipped statements as your own positions but you still must have some opinion about them. You either think it's possible to hurt a life before it's even conceived or you don't, and if you do then you must explain why you find it acceptable not to create as many lives as possible since you're hurting people by not making them if life is somehow better (which is your position, not mine). Likewise you either accept that you can save something from a life of torture by not making it or you don't, and if you don't then you can't argue against creating lives that you know would just be tortured.

If you take these basic ideas and apply them to conceivable real world examples I don't think my position is controversial at all. Do you think for example that some rich couple who would by all means be able to grant all their children a good life is immoral for not having as many kids as they can? If the same couple decided they're gonna have a baby and lock it in the basement where they're gonna torture it until it dies, would you say it's pointless to prevent the pregnancy if that was your only way to intervene? If your answer to both is no then you agree with me. If you disagree with either then your moral standards are at odds with mine so talking about the best way to actualize them would be pointless.

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Okay. If you're not making

Okay. If you're not making an objective argument, then I'll just say this.

I do feel that preventing pain is more valuable than giving pleasure, in general. But, I would not reach the conclusions that you did. For one thing, I value life e.g. I would rather have a relatively crap life than not exist at all; of course, if I didn't exist, I wouldn't be able to say that, but you get my point. I also don't agree that the average life is as bad as you've implied. So, I would not agree to nuking the planet. I would agree, though, with massive amounts of birth control, and maybe taxing anyone with more than two kids, particularly in parts of Africa and some other third world countries.

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Teralek wrote:Manageri

Teralek wrote:

Manageri wrote:

I really might just nuke the planet if I could, I have a hard time justifying the ridicilous amount of suffering in the world all for the sake of the pleasure that is only necessitated by the same existence that causes the suffering. IOW killing everything eliminates both suffering and the need for pleasure, happiness, etc. so it seems like a win-win to me.

Why don't you start by killing yourself?! Man I am discovering a very pessimistic side to atheism! Now I know why it is easier to believe! 

It's a theoretical scenario to highlight how a moral frame of reference is subjective.  He's expressing what he feels valuable and in no way is what he is saying depressing, it's quite logical.  I disagree with him entirely but that's what makes this beautiful, we don't have an objective reference to place all the responsibility upon.  We, as atheists, have only ourselves to answer to, and hence no 'get out of this decision' free card with a cross on it.

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
The theist feels the

The theist feels the their morals are 'objective' because they want to project that no mortal man has the right to question or debate the 'Sky Daddy', who made us all.

It's a copout.

"It's not 'my' policies, it's my Sky Daddy's house rules. If I wanna live in my Sky Daddy's cottage in the sky, I gotta play by his rules."

Pfffft...

Pure bullsh1t.

marcusfish
Superfan
marcusfish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Suffering

Beyond Saving wrote:

Manageri wrote:
That's great, can you answer the question now? Is it better to end the life of a suffering, dying animal than it is to let it suffer?

What is it about suffering that makes you think it is so horrible that it must end at all costs?

To be fair, I don't think he is suggesting anything "at all costs" with the exception of his original childish talk about nuking things.

As far as I can tell, it comes down to how we aggregate happiness vs suffering for the living beings involved over the course of their lifetimes. If we could somehow determine through anything but purely subjective means that the overall happiness of the being's lives would not be "worth" the suffering then Manageri would be correct.

The value of the happiness of a life vs the amount of suffering in it would need to be established to have the conversation reasonably - wouldn't it? It seems clear enough that Manageri's personal viewpoint is that the suffering at least marginally (if not completely) overshadows the happiness of life in general but without establishing how we come to that measurement it is purely opinion.

Teralek
Teralek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ktulu wrote:Teralek

Ktulu wrote:

Teralek wrote:

Manageri wrote:

It's a theoretical scenario to highlight how a moral frame of reference is subjective.  He's expressing what he feels valuable and in no way is what he is saying depressing, it's quite logical.  I disagree with him entirely but that's what makes this beautiful, we don't have an objective reference to place all the responsibility upon.  We, as atheists, have only ourselves to answer to, and hence no 'get out of this decision' free card with a cross on it.

I find that Chaotic! I'm sorry but my view of reality is different. He may have his logic and I may say that most people want to live despite the suffering we must endure, thus this invalidate the nuking... The power of logic comes from a good argument and different weight on the value of things. Questioning if someone wants to live this life before they existed is irrelevant. Asking that question to non existing people is impossible.

Unfortunately I go beyond this! I say that life is a continuity and life on Earth is just a blink of an eye to what it is to come. I also share somewhat the view of Nietzsche that wished for his friends the worse, I came to realize that probations make people grow and mature. They can more easily find happiness on little things - the true humility. Those who had it easier tend to have quite childish behaviours, are hardly humble, are easily become depressed and lack empathy and compassion towards others. So pain, human life is a school! One last thing about this: I do not promote suffering! But I can see the possible virtues of those who endure it just like Nietzsche.

The beautiful thing is I also have only myself to answer! I don't believe in a judgmental God.

Imagine you hurt someone and after that you feel terrible about yourself. This is the kind of judgment I believe.

Now imagine a existence where nothing in you is hidden, not even your thoughts. Imagine you are connected to everyone in the world like the computers over the Internet. Imagine that when someone likes you you feel exactly what the other person is feeling about you, also when you hurt someone you feel exactly the pain you provoked!

I find my view of reality a bit more elegant...

But don't mind me these are just the thoughts of a believer...

Manageri
atheist
Manageri's picture
User is offlineOffline
butterbattle wrote:I do feel

butterbattle wrote:

I do feel that preventing pain is more valuable than giving pleasure, in general. But, I would not reach the conclusions that you did. For one thing, I value life e.g. I would rather have a relatively crap life than not exist at all; of course, if I didn't exist, I wouldn't be able to say that, but you get my point. I also don't agree that the average life is as bad as you've implied. So, I would not agree to nuking the planet. I would agree, though, with massive amounts of birth control, and maybe taxing anyone with more than two kids, particularly in parts of Africa and some other third world countries.

Here's the problem I see with this: You already think that even though life is good, that does not extend to the potential, uncreated lives since you're for birth control. That means any lives created did not need to be created because not creating them is not a bad thing, according to your standards. Therefore any and all suffering that happens to come out of those needless creations is also needless. If you think needless suffering is a bad thing you must reconcile this somehow. Without adjusting one of those standards I don't see a way out other than stopping the creation of beings that can suffer.

Teralek
Teralek's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I can see this Manageri is

I can see this Manageri is very good with words! He's going to make you blow up the Earth!

I don't intend to respond for butterbattle but I'm also for birth control. For ONE reason only: We live in a finite world. Nothing to do with pleasure or suffering (directly).

Right now humanity is behaving like a virus on the planet. For this reason it needs to be purged. But we are a rational species, so we have a choice.

If I was non existent I would want to be existent even if I would suffer. My suffering would put into perspective the happiness that was also on my life. Both are called experiences and in my opinion experiences are better than non experiences (pleasure and pain). Apperently for Manageri (a manager from Finland) non existence is better than experiencing existence.

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
Teralek wrote: I can see

Teralek wrote:

I can see this Manageri is very good with words! He's going to make you blow up the Earth!

That kind of talk is simply defeatism.

Like I said before, throwing out the baby with the bathwater, isn't very helpful.

Or, cutting off your nose, to spite your face...

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Teralek wrote: I can see

Teralek wrote:

I don't intend to respond for butterbattle but I'm also for birth control. For ONE reason only: We live in a finite world. Nothing to do with pleasure or suffering (directly).

Right now humanity is behaving like a virus on the planet. For this reason it needs to be purged. But we are a rational species, so we have a choice.

If I was non existent I would want to be existent even if I would suffer. My suffering would put into perspective the happiness that was also on my life. Both are called experiences and in my opinion experiences are better than non experiences (pleasure and pain). Apperently for Manageri (a manager from Finland) non existence is better than experiencing existence.

This whole argument is mute because we're all arguing from different moral frame references.  We're all biased.  At one point in my life, before having kids, I would have agreed with Manageri.  I hold a different view on morality now, and hence I disagree.  The way I see it is like this, we all have emotional attachments unless we're psychopaths.  The objects/ideas that we feel emotional attachment to, will change throughout our lifetimes, and so our moral frame of reference is in constant flux.  For example, when I was younger I would have literally killed a human to protect my dog, now if a dog ran in front of my car and I had time to reason, I may choose not to change lanes to avoid an accident with a different car.  

The point is, it is all subjective, given facts A, B, C, D.  I may choose to prioritize  A, C, D, B and you may choose D, A, C, B.  The reasons depend on a nature and nurture factors, but neither of us would be wrong.  So I understand where Manageri is coming from, but I think he's wrong because he has different priorities then I, and he thinks the same about me Smiling

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ktulu wrote:Teralek

Ktulu wrote:

Teralek wrote:

This whole argument is mute because we're all arguing from different moral frame references.  We're all biased.  At one point in my life, before having kids, I would have agreed with Manageri.  I hold a different view on morality now, and hence I disagree.  The way I see it is like this, we all have emotional attachments unless we're psychopaths.  The objects/ideas that we feel emotional attachment to, will change throughout our lifetimes, and so our moral frame of reference is in constant flux.  For example, when I was younger I would have literally killed a human to protect my dog, now if a dog ran in front of my car and I had time to reason, I may choose not to change lanes to avoid an accident with a different car.  

The point is, it is all subjective, given facts A, B, C, D.  I may choose to prioritize  A, C, D, B and you may choose D, A, C, B.  The reasons depend on a nature and nurture factors, but neither of us would be wrong.  So I understand where Manageri is coming from, but I think he's wrong because he has different priorities then I, and he thinks the same about me Smiling

I agree.

Except for the part about not swerving for the dog.

Skunk, maybe.

It would depend on who is in the minivan in the lane next to me.

Dogs, in my opinion, are for the most part, infinitely better than a lot of people.

If you think I'm kidding, don't drive next to me if you've got a jesus fish on you back bumper....

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Manageri wrote:Here's the

Manageri wrote:

Here's the problem I see with this: You already think that even though life is good, that does not extend to the potential, uncreated lives since you're for birth control. That means any lives created did not need to be created because not creating them is not a bad thing, according to your standards. Therefore any and all suffering that happens to come out of those needless creations is also needless. If you think needless suffering is a bad thing you must reconcile this somehow. Without adjusting one of those standards I don't see a way out other than stopping the creation of beings that can suffer.

Not sure what "needless" means. It's all "needless." Also, not sure what I'm supposed to be reconciling. Those creations experience pleasure too, not just pain. And, I still prefer life rather than no life, independent of how good or bad those lives were.

Edit: My emphasis on birth control is due to problems with overpopulation, and how people have way too many kids for them to financially support.   

For your initial post:

Manageri wrote:
(1) If a person who would have a great life isn't created, no harm done. (2) If he is created, no harm done.

(3) If a person who'd have a truly horrible life isn't created, no harm done. (4) If he is created, there's some serious fucking harm done.

I added the numbers.

If I treat these as four premises and evaluated them on whether or not I agree, I would say that I agree with them, for the most part, except for (2). I would say that a lot of good was done. 

I don't have to strictly agree with any of your initial premises anyways. I can just say that I follow them as a general rule and make an exception in this case. 

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Ktulu wrote:This whole

Ktulu wrote:

This whole argument is mute because we're all arguing from different moral frame references.  

By mute I of course mean moot.

Manageri
atheist
Manageri's picture
User is offlineOffline
butterbattle wrote:Not sure

butterbattle wrote:
Not sure what "needless" means. It's all "needless."

Not needed to stay within your moral rules. For example I don't "need" to avoid running over a branch with my car, I do "need" to avoid running over people.

Quote:
Also, not sure what I'm supposed to be reconciling. Those creations experience pleasure too, not just pain. And, I still prefer life rather than no life, independent of how good or bad those lives were.

Edit: My emphasis on birth control is due to problems with overpopulation, and how people have way too many kids for them to financially support.

Then if you think the potential pleasure is relevant before they exist what reason do you have for denying them the pleasure of existing by birth control? As for life vs nonlife regardless of the quality, I think that's absurd (even without going to extreme examples like hell) but if you really want to accept that life has some value that overrides the quality then I guess that's a legitimate solution, I just personally can't find any reason to accept that and I think it's somewhere between harmful and monstrous depending on how much suffering you'd be willing to put up with.

Quote:
For your initial post:

Manageri wrote:
(1) If a person who would have a great life isn't created, no harm done. (2) If he is created, no harm done.

(3) If a person who'd have a truly horrible life isn't created, no harm done. (4) If he is created, there's some serious fucking harm done.

I added the numbers.

If I treat these as four premises and evaluated them on whether or not I agree, I would say that I agree with them, for the most part, except for (2). I would say that a lot of good was done. 

I don't have to strictly agree with any of your initial premises anyways. I can just say that I follow them as a general rule and make an exception in this case.

Same problem, you need to explain why birth control is acceptable if it prevents this good from being done.

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ktulu wrote:This whole

Ktulu wrote:

I would say your morality didn't change, what changed is what trigger strong feelings. You have strong feelings for you kids like you once did for your dog. Your morality has always been to act on your feelings, to do what feels good and avoid what feels bad. The triggers for what you feel changed.

Everyone has the same morality(egoist hedonism). What is different is what triggers pleasure/pain experiences and our understanding of reality.

Manageri just has a different set of things he finds pleasant and unpleasant than you. But we know he finds the end of his own existence unpleasant because he is still alive.

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
Manageri wrote:Same problem,

Manageri wrote:

Same problem, you need to explain why birth control is acceptable if it prevents this good from being done.

Because not every ejaculation needs a name.

This world has enough retards. Adding a few billion more ain't gonna help nuttin'...

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Does subjective happiness

Does subjective happiness and will to live matter?

Outside of those literally starving to death, most people still consider their lives at least, 'alright'.  Even those living in misery anc chronic pain tend to prefer life to death.

I'm interested to know why their personal preference should be overridden by a calculation that seems totally arbitrary in regards to what kind of life is 'worth living'.  Why is a gross measurement of 'pain' valued so much more than the drive for autonomy that is actually our primary motivator in most instances?

To me, even a 'neutral' existence is still highly desirable, and if I were to make a calculation I'd have to take that into account.

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Manageri wrote:(1) If a

Manageri wrote:

Some people want to have children and preventing it would do harm to them so 1 is wrong. People can have great lives but still do a lot of harm to others so 2 is wrong. 3 & 4 are probably wrong too but since 1 & 2 are wrong it doesn't matter.

There are twists of time and space, of vision and reality, which only a dreamer can divine
H.P. Lovecraft

Manageri
atheist
Manageri's picture
User is offlineOffline
mellestad wrote:Does

mellestad wrote:

Does subjective happiness and will to live matter?

Outside of those literally starving to death, most people still consider their lives at least, 'alright'.  Even those living in misery anc chronic pain tend to prefer life to death.

I'm interested to know why their personal preference should be overridden by a calculation that seems totally arbitrary in regards to what kind of life is 'worth living'.  Why is a gross measurement of 'pain' valued so much more than the drive for autonomy that is actually our primary motivator in most instances?

To me, even a 'neutral' existence is still highly desirable, and if I were to make a calculation I'd have to take that into account.

Same question for you, why is birth control acceptable if creating life is good overall? What reason do you have for doing anything about overpopulation if all those lives are still worth it just because they're alive, no matter how shitty their conditions are? I really don't understand how people can see any value in life just because it's life.

Gauche wrote:

Manageri wrote:

Some people want to have children and preventing it would do harm to them so 1 is wrong. People can have great lives but still do a lot of harm to others so 2 is wrong. 3 & 4 are probably wrong too but since 1 & 2 are wrong it doesn't matter.

I don't see a point in extending the discussion to others when that effect can be both harmful and beneficial. It's just the same issue on a bigger scale.