Wouldn't that make a god, bipolar?

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
Wouldn't that make a god, bipolar?

The god that's talked about in the bible certainly is manic, and prone to severe mood swings.

He comes off as a petulant tyrannical infantile.

What's with all his out of control rage issues?

He'd get arrested in this world.

And he would be a piss poor designer of anything practical.

Is that why he's supposedly jealous of other gods?

Because he just couldn't measure up in comparison?

So he'd create a band of fanboys and groupies that elect him #1?

Ya, that's some champ.

Whadda hero!

If he wanted his creations to follow a pattern, why would he design in a mechanism that could arbitrarily override his original pattern?

Just so he could get pissy over something?

That's retarded.

Ya, talk about working in 'mysterious' ways.

Is that an apologists euphemism for being drunk, or retarded?

What a drama queen.

Who would want to put up with that ch1t, let alone sign up for that?

And why is it that he wouldn't be able to control his emotions, and just 'get over it', when we do what we like?

What would have been his issue?

We didn't ask to be born, and we certainly didn't ask for free will. So why get pissy over something he would have been responsible for making us have?

As Hitchens says, "Of course I have free will. I had no choice!"

And if he gave us a gift (life), why would he want something in return?

Isn't "It's better to give than receive" supposed to be a virtue ?

Why justification for being petty, and wanting something in return, would he have?

That's not doing something out of the goodness of your heart.

It doesn't sound like he would actually have much heart at all.

The dude sounds like he'd have a lot of anger, some real dysfunction going on, and severe control issues.

And where would he get off on hurting people that aren't strong enough to put up a fight?

He'd be beating up on women and children?

Real tough guy.

Sound like he'd be a complete fcuking douchebag.

It sounds like this dude would be completely out of control, of his emotions, and actions.

Things that we humans are supposed to learn to control.

Sound like he would have been able to learn to be more 'human', and that he should take guidance from us.

And apologize to all of us for being so despicable, and all the insane ch1t he'd have done to us.

I don't think he'd be man enough.

He really would need to piss off, and leave the minions alone, if he were real. And I'm glad he's not, and just a fairy tale.

They could use some better role models.

Why aren't those minions looking at how we (humans) are infinitely better 'beings' than a freak like that would be?

WTF?

Glad he's not real.

That would be a nightmare...

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris

Mr_Metaphysics (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
cj wrote:Yours.  You only

cj wrote:

Yours.  You only have a vacuous truth at best - this is no real practical truth.

I have no practical use for many truths--for instance, I have no practical use for the truth that some people in Norway are bald headed--but it does not change the fact that they are true. 

You list yourself as an 'atheist'; hence, I was under the impression that your belief was that 'God exists' was not true.  Evidently, your belief is that 'God exists' is true, but it's just inconsequential to your life.  Note, however, that premises which are 'vacuously true' (not that this term has any real meaning--you obviously just made it up) are nonetheless true; therefore, I will assume that you are not actually an atheist, but a deist.

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
cj wrote:  You only have a

cj wrote:

You only have a vacuous truth at best - this is no real practical truth.

By their reasoning, magic is truth.

The church used to burn 'magicians'.

The problem with 'truths' in the eyes of theists, is, some 'truths' are more equal than others.

And they've been overthrown, as rulers.

Because it was 'practical' and 'sensible'.

And they're angry and bitter.

But, then again, look who they worship as a role model...

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
'Non-existence' does not

'Non-existence' does not imply 'limited'.

It is a category error to use existence/non-existence as an attribute of an entity in the same sense as power, sentience, magnitude, extent, capability, etc.

That is the Anselm fallacy.

'Limited/unlimited' refers to the extent, magnitude, range of actual capabilities, etc.

The argument does not prove that God exists.

If God does exist, then he is consistent with the definition, including the understanding of 'unlimited, therefore the argument would conclude that He exists.

If God does not exist, then he is not consistent with the definition, therefore the argument would conclude that He does not exist.

The argument is not a proof that God exists, it is stating that if an entity consistent with the definition exists, then it exists, if it doesn't, then it doesn't.

You are using the result of the argument as part of the premises. An undecidable, as per Godel.

"If this sentence is true, then it is true" is a related form. 

This is basically what Platinga was saying in his commentary on his version of the OA.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1

BobSpence1 wrote:

It is a category error to use existence/non-existence as an attribute of an entity in the same sense as power, sentience, magnitude, extent, capability, etc.

'Limited/unlimited' refers to the extent, magnitude, range of actual capabilities, etc.

Anselm never makes this mistake, and I do not make it either.

Nonexistence is not a limitation, but the possibility of nonexistence is a limitation.

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
Mr_Metaphysics wrote:Anselm

Mr_Metaphysics wrote:

Don't kid yourself.

You made a ton of mistakes.

I busted you on numerous counts of equivocation, and sidestepping.

You're just a slick BS'er.

I asked you one simple question, 'according to whom?'

Because your premises are based on claims that have been communicated through language.

And you can't overcome that obstacle.

You won't accept that I defeated your claim.

It doesn't matter.

I defeated you, because you failed to answer 'who'.

You just don't have the integrity to accept defeat, or forfeit.

So your 'victory' is not universal accepted, as a 'complete' victory.

You're just an intellectually inferior scam artist.

Not bright enough to compete on the world stage, so you search the internet subculture, looking for places to give yourself false positives to indulge in your fantasies.

Brilliant...

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Mr_Metaphysics wrote:cj

Mr_Metaphysics wrote:

cj wrote:

Yours.  You only have a vacuous truth at best - this is no real practical truth.

I have no practical use for many truths--for instance, I have no practical use for the truth that some people in Norway are bald headed--but it does not change the fact that they are true. 

You list yourself as an 'atheist'; hence, I was under the impression that your belief was that 'God exists' was not true.  Evidently, your belief is that 'God exists' is true, but it's just inconsequential to your life.  Note, however, that premises which are 'vacuously true' (not that this term has any real meaning--you obviously just made it up) are nonetheless true; therefore, I will assume that you are not actually an atheist, but a deist.

We could falsify the claim about bald Norwegians though, and if someone wanted to base their life philosophy about what bald Norwegians thought we could verify their existence, or show it to be false.  You've just made a claim about invisible, immaterial, 'ultimate' bald Norwegians.

And no, I don't care about invisible, immaterial, 'ultimate' bald Norwegians either.  I'd like to know why you think they matter.

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.

User is offlineOffline
redneF wrote:I asked you one

redneF wrote:

And I ignored you.

Ain't life grand?

User is offlineOffline
mellestad wrote:We could

mellestad wrote:

We could falsify the claim about bald Norwegians though

And you could falsify claims about God.  For example, if you can show how the concept is internally contradictory, then you will have proven that God does not exist.

Quote:
And no, I don't care about invisible, immaterial, 'ultimate' bald Norwegians either.  I'd like to know why you think they matter.

The argument does not purport to prove that God matters; it only proves that God exists.

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
Mr_Metaphysics wrote:redneF

Mr_Metaphysics wrote:

redneF wrote:

And I ignored you.

Ain't life grand?

Most definitely.

You couldn't persuade me, or coerce me into your rabbit hole, of circular reasoning.

So, I'm not bound by your conclusions.

I'm stronger than you.

I didn't rely on deception and magic.

I win.

User is offlineOffline
redneF wrote:Mr_Metaphysics

redneF wrote:

Mr_Metaphysics wrote:

redneF wrote:

And I ignored you.

Ain't life grand?

Most definitely.

You couldn't persuade me, or coerce me into your rabbit hole, of circular reasoning.

So, I'm not bound by your conclusions.

I'm stronger than you.

I didn't rely on deception and magic.

I win.

Do you like hot dogs?

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
My question to you was

My question to you was insurmountable.

Because your premise has an Achilles Heel.

It's man made.

Your equation is fine.

But is subject to a simple reality:

Garbage in=Garbage out

I win.

User is offlineOffline
redneF wrote:My question to

redneF wrote:

My question to you was insurmountable.

Because your premise has an Achilles Heel.

It's man made.

Your equation is fine.

But is subject to a simple reality:

Garbage in=Garbage out

I win.

The world doesn't move to the beat of just one drum, but what might be right for you may not be right for Gary Coleman.

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
Mr_Metaphysics wrote:The

Mr_Metaphysics wrote:

The world doesn't move to the beat of just one drum, but what might be right for you may not be right for Gary Coleman.

That's why we have democracy, and not theocracy.

Or has that eluded you as well?

Your demonstration of 'The Emperor's New Clothes' is infantile.

You're not educating. You're lecturing.

Who is going to give you a dime for your 'theory', or your 'research'?

The government?

The Judical system?

The scientific community?

Economists?

The Vatican?

Who's going to buy your strawman?

Mr_Metaphysics wrote:

The argument does not purport to prove that God matters; it only proves that God exists.

Who's god?....

There are 'many' premises for many different 'gods'.

Based on 'who's' premise?

Yours?

Your personal god?

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Mr_Metaphysics

Mr_Metaphysics wrote:

mellestad wrote:

And you could falsify claims about God.  For example, if you can show how the concept is internally contradictory, then you will have proven that God does not exist.

Quote:

No you can't falsify that claim, because it relies on its own definition to exist, the whole thing is circular, correct?

The argument proves that you can define anything you want into existence as long as you define it with the proper traits.  It means you can create a definition.  Why is that valuable?

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Mr_Metaphysics

Mr_Metaphysics wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

Nonexistence is not a limitation, but the possibility of nonexistence is a limitation.

From Wikipedia:

Quote:

But it cannot exist only in our thoughts, because if it existed only in our thoughts, then we could think of something greater than it, since we could think of something than which a greater cannot be thought that exists both in thought and in reality, and it is a contradiction to suppose we could think of something greater than that than which nothing greater can be thought.

He seems to be saying that existence in reality makes something greater than merely as a thought - his whole argument there depends on the assumption that if something exists both in reality and as a thought, it is greater than if it exists only as a thought, which is my point.

For the 'possibility' of non-existence to make something lesser, non-existence itself must be assumed to be a lesser state.

What you are referring to is the status of the argument for the existence of the entity, not the entity itself. IOW if the argument does not conclusively prove God existes, it is indeed a lesser argument.

I notice you didn't address the substance of my remaining arguments, which were not conditional on this assumption.

He is still making existence in reality part of what he conceives as 'greatness', and then uses that to argue for that very existence.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
mellestad

mellestad wrote:

Mr_Metaphysics wrote:

mellestad wrote:

Quote:

No you can't falsify that claim, because it relies on its own definition to exist, the whole thing is circular, correct?

The argument proves that you can define anything you want into existence as long as you define it with the proper traits.  It means you can create a definition.  Why is that valuable?

This is three threads with this exact same question.  I'm not trying to 'beat' you, I'm honestly trying to understand why you think this is a valuable exercise.  In the other thread you seemed to agree that this is valuable because it supports your pre-existing belief system, which is based on your emotional attachment to God and dualism.  Is that it?  Is there something else?  That seems very hollow to me, but if that is good enough for you then I'll leave it alone.

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
mellestad wrote: In the

mellestad wrote:

In the other thread you seemed to agree that this is valuable because it supports your pre-existing belief system, which is based on your emotional attachment to God and dualism.  Is that it?  Is there something else?  

That's why I asked the question as to 'who's' god as we plugging in to his equation.

Is it 'his' god?

Spinoza's God?

He's avoiding that qualifier.

Because he doesn't want to debate.

He wants to assert arbitrarily, and wants acquiescence.

In that context, he can have his 'personal' god.

He's got 'free will'.

And now (if we're stupid enough) we fall into the rabbit hole of circular reasoning.

Atheists don't have personal gods. They have their own individual reality. And there are no gods there.

Therefore, gods do not exist, in reality.

There is no god in my reality.

I win.

Yay me!

User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:He seems to

BobSpence1 wrote:

He seems to be saying that existence in reality makes something greater than merely as a thought - his whole argument there depends on the assumption that if something exists both in reality and as a thought, it is greater than if it exists only as a thought, which is my point.

Right.  He is not saying that existence is a predicate; he is saying that concrete existence is a predicate.  While it is illogical to say that an existing God is greater than a non-existent God, it is not contradictory to say that a concrete God is greater than an abstract God.  (I myself do not agree with this, but I'm simply clarifying his position.)

Obviously, you read Kant's objection to the argument.  But he is not objecting to Anselm; he was objecting to Descartes.  Nobody knows if Kant even read Anselm's Proslogion.  

Quote:
For the 'possibility' of non-existence to make something lesser, non-existence itself must be assumed to be a lesser state.

That's true to a degree; existence is greater than non-existence--however, that is not the same as claiming that an existent Bob is better than a non-existent Bob.  For the purposes of the argument--with respect to the attributes of the two beings in question, it's a dichotomy between contingent existence and necessary existence--not between existence and non-existence.  Assume that you exist, and also assume that God exists; what makes God's existence greater than yours?  The answer is that he does not depend on anything else to sustain it, whereas you depend on various things for your existence.  God is like a car that runs perfectly and requires no maintenance whatsoever; you are a car that requires gas, tire rotations, oil changes, and regular cleanings.  

Quote:
What you are referring to is the status of the argument for the existence of the entity, not the entity itself. IOW if the argument does not conclusively prove God existes, it is indeed a lesser argument.

I don't quite follow you.  I did not make an argument for the existence of the 'greatest conceivable argument', so what are you talking about?

Quote:
He is still making existence in reality part of what he conceives as 'greatness', and then uses that to argue for that very existence.

So?  

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline
Mr_Metaphysics wrote:TGBaker

Mr_Metaphysics wrote:

TGBaker wrote:

I think that Plantinga thought that it worked for a while.  He later called it victorious in the sense that it made the conclusion rational since he had a rational premise.

In the article, Plantinga put forth several versions of the argument.  There was the argument victorious, but also the argument triumphant.  What Plantinga was getting at is that the argument, while valid, inevitably trades upon one's set of presuppositions; if the atheist argues that the notion of a maximally great being is logically incoherent, then there really is nothing that the theist can say to refute that--except that s/he may supply another argument to prove that God is possible, in which case he will have proven the existence of God (recall system S5, where the possibility of a necessary truth entails the necessary truth) and rendered the ontological argument superfluous.  For Plantinga, the force of the argument was precisely that there are no prima facie contradictions contained in the possibility premise; thus, there is no reason to assume that theism is irrational.

I have a long time friend since the 6th grade who is like a brother to me. He was mentored under Plantinga. In fact his books and articles are introductions you read to understand Plantinga. He calls it the “Argument Triumphant” in that it triumphs over all the objections that are launched against ontological arguments. He even says that the argument is sound. His only contest against it is that it is still not compelling – even though there seems to be no flaw in the argument.  He calls it victorious as well. And there are several versions but even about the Triumphant:

The Argument Triumphant

[51] Using this idea we can restate this last version of the ontological argument in such a way that it no longer matters whether there are any merely possible beings that do not exist. Instead of speaking of the possible being that has, in some world or other, a maximal degree of greatness, we may speak of the property of being maximally great or maximal greatness. The premise corresponding to (25) then says simply that maximal greatness is possibly instantiated, i.e., that

(29) There is a possible world in which maximal greatness is instantiated.

[52] And the analogues of (27) and (28) spell out what is involved in maximal greatness:

(30) Necessarily, a being is maximally great only if it has maximal excellence in every world

and

(31) Necessarily, a being has maximal excellence in every world only if it has omniscience, omnipotence, and moral perfection in every world.

[53] Notice that (30) and (31) do not imply that there are possible but nonexistent beings -- any more than does, for example,

(32) Necessarily, a thing is a unicorn only if it has one horn.

[54] But if (29) is true, then there is a possible world W such that if it had been actual, then there would have existed a being that was omnipotent, omniscient, and morally perfect; this being, furthermore, would have had these qualities in every possible world. So it follows that if W had been actual, it would have been impossible that there be no such being. That is, if W had been actual,

(33) There is no omnipotent, omniscient, and morally perfect being

would have been an impossible proposition. But if a proposition is impossible in at least one possible world, then it is impossible in every possible world; what is impossible does not vary from world to world. Accordingly (33) is impossible in the actual world, i.e., impossible simpliciter. But if it is impossible that there be no such being, then there actually exists a being that is omnipotent, omniscient, and morally perfect; this being, furthermore, has these qualities essentially and exists in every possible world.

[55] What shall we say of this argument? It is certainly valid; given its premise, the conclusion follows. The only question of interest, it seems to me, is whether its main premise -- that maximal greatness is possibly instantiated -- is true. I think it is true; hence I think this version of the ontological argument is sound.

[56] But here we must be careful; we must ask whether this argument is a successful piece of natural theology, whether it proves the existence of God. And the answer must be, I think, that it does not. An argument for God's existence may be sound, after all, without in any useful sense proving God's existence. Since I believe in God, I think the following argument is sound:

Either God exists or 7 + 5 = 14

It is false that 7 + 5 = 14

Therefore God exists.

[57] But obviously this isn't a proof; no one who didn't already accept the conclusion, would accept the first premise. The ontological argument we've been examining isn't just like this one, of course, but it must be conceded that not everyone who understands and reflects on its central premise -- that the existence of a maximally great being is possible -- will accept it. Still, it is evident, I think, that there is nothing contrary to reason or irrational in accepting this premise. What I claim for this argument, therefore, is that it establishes, not thetruth of theism, but its rational acceptability. And hence it accomplishes at least one of the aims of the tradition of natural theology.

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whip cream."--Frank Zappa

http://atheisticgod.blogspot.com/ Books on atheism

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline

Mr_Metaphysics wrote:

Quote:
I think that That is the problem with having a valid argument that may not be true.  It can show that the thought is rational not that it IS true.  Try reversing your ontological aurgument with god does not exist and you end up with the impasse. 

It does lead to a dialectical stalemate, I admit.  At the same time, I think the theist is still in a better position, provided that s/he can stand on the general reliability of our modal intuitions.  In essence, the atheist would assume the daunting responsibility of showing what contradictions inhere in the idea of a maximally great being. 

I think these contradictions are driven by phenomenological issues like those resulted in theodicy arguments. ..the question of omniscience in relationship to freewill and those category of things.  And these have to do with an unlimited or unbounded being.  These may be what creates the dialectic.  But image a person who is ideally agnostic.  The dialectic stalemate of the two arguments could be his mental state. Could either ( yours and your antithetical ) move the ideal "agnostic" one way or the other.  That is what I would want from an ontological argument. I like Godel's. What do you think is the weakness in his "Completeness Theory as I kiddingly call it? But back to point. If evangelism is a purposeful thing then it presupposes that there are some who start with an atheistic view. The aurgument against ( an ontological made negative) would reinforce the position??? The ontological would not move such a person to belief. The information needed seems to precursory to the premise. I assume that would be definitions of unlimited as positive properties. That would in turn require a means to determine what is positive. Unlimited could include the capacity to do absolute evil unless evil in turn be defined for example as the lack of good etc.; 

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whip cream."--Frank Zappa

User is offlineOffline
mellestad wrote:mellestad

mellestad wrote:

mellestad wrote:

Mr_Metaphysics wrote:

mellestad wrote:

Quote:

This is three threads with this exact same question.  I'm not trying to 'beat' you, I'm honestly trying to understand why you think this is a valuable exercise.  In the other thread you seemed to agree that this is valuable because it supports your pre-existing belief system, which is based on your emotional attachment to God and dualism.  Is that it?  Is there something else?  That seems very hollow to me, but if that is good enough for you then I'll leave it alone.

My theism has nothing to do with apologetic arguments.  My theism is based on my own personal experiences, and I understand that they are neither provable nor falsifiable.  For precisely this reason, I am not using my own experiences as proof that God exists, because I realize that it is impossible to prove my experience of reality.  But this is the Atheist vs. Christian discussion board, and it calls upon me to defend my belief system.  If I cannot do it with my experience, then my only option is to do apologetics.

What else would you expect me to do on a discussion board?  

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
Mr_Metaphysics wrote: My

Mr_Metaphysics wrote:

My theism is based on my own personal experiences, and I understand that they are neither provable nor falsifiable.  For precisely this reason, I am not using my own experiences as proof that God exists, because I realize that it is impossible to prove my experience of reality. 

So you did not define it at all.

You left it ambiguous.

Which is why the question was raised as to where the premises had originated.

You deliberately ignored the question as to who's premise you were using in your equation to prove the existence of god.

So, who's god was in the premise, and who's god is it that you believe logically exists?

Mr_Metaphysics wrote:
But this is the Atheist vs. Christian discussion board, and it calls upon me to defend my belief system. 

Not really.

There's no pressure on you to defend your belief system, unless you start thumping about your beliefs, or getting bent about people criticizing yours.

I don't go to christian discussion boards. Because I'm not a theist.

Same reason I don't go to church.

WTF would I?

I don't care about their cause, or their feelings about me, or my non theism, or their feelings on atheists.

Mr_Metaphysics wrote:

Be straight up.

Have the balls to answer simple questions, if you want to debate.

Have some integrity.

This isn't about you, it's about your methods of proof.

You want to arrive at a robust conclusion?

Let's analyze your data.

You say you can bend spoons with your mind?

Whose spoons can you bend with your mind?

Can we analyze the spoons you claim you can bend with your mind?

Ignore the question?

It's logical to assume you're a fraud.

So you can mind bend all the spoons you want. No one will think it's reality.

Deal with it...

User is offlineOffline
redneF wrote:So you did not

redneF wrote:

So you did not define it at all.

You left it ambiguous.

Which is why the question was raised as to where the premises had originated.

You deliberately ignored the question as to who's premise you were using in your equation to prove the existence of god.

So, who's god was in the premise, and who's god is it that you believe logically exists?

Not really.

There's no pressure on you to defend your belief system, unless you start thumping about your beliefs, or getting bent about people criticizing yours.

I don't go to christian discussion boards. Because I'm not a theist.

Same reason I don't go to church.

WTF would I?

I don't care about their cause, or their feelings about me, or my non theism, or their feelings on atheists.

Be straight up.

Have the balls to answer simple questions, if you want to debate.

Have some integrity.

This isn't about you, it's about your methods of proof.

You want to arrive at a robust conclusion?

Let's analyze your data.

You say you can bend spoons with your mind?

Whose spoons can you bend with your mind?

Can we analyze the spoons you claim you can bend with your mind?

Ignore the question?

It's logical to assume you're a fraud.

So you can mind bend all the spoons you want. No one will think it's reality.

Deal with it...

You just don't quit, do you?

Look, I have no interest in discussing anything with you.  I attempted to engage you, but you just continued to insult and hand wave; you couldn't even answer a simple question regarding a sound argument for God.  All the while, you continued fabricating, lying, misrepresenting, and being verbally abusive.

I have no interest in dealing with such people.  I seriously think you have some sort of mental issue.  

I've responded to several people here, and I addressed all of their points.  Yet you ignore that and say that I'm dodging, and that I have no integrity.  Do you really expect me to respond to that?

Maybe you aren't being serious.  Perhaps you are posting this tripe, printing the posts, and then for a laugh showing them to your colleagues at work; nobody could seriously act like this. 

From here on out, I will be ignoring your posts.  If I see a long-winded post from you, I am just going to scroll right through it; I'm not even going to read it.  Do not bother.  Do not waste your time--I have no doubt that hours upon hours of your time goes into this.  Those are hours that you are never going to get back.

Take care, and tell your psychiatrist that he is a brave, brave man.

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline

Mr_Metaphysics wrote:

cj wrote:

Mr. M, I do not make stuff up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vacuously_true wrote:

A vacuous truth is a truth that is devoid of content because it asserts something about all members of a class that is empty or because it says "If A then B" when in fact A is inherently false. For example, the statement "all cell phones in the room are turned off" may be true simply because there are no cell phones in the room. In this case, the statement "all cell phones in the room are turned on" would also be considered true, and vacuously so.

More formally, a relatively well-defined usage refers to a conditional statement with a false antecedent. One example of such a statement is "if Uluru is in France, then the Eiffel tower is in Bolivia". Such statements are considered vacuous because the falsity of the antecedent prevents one from using the conditional to infer the consequent. They are true because a material conditional is defined to be true when the antecedent is false (or the conclusion is true).

Wiki goes on to say this is a valuable concept in mathematics (which is why I'm stuck studying it) and in classical logic.

So, Mr. M, I have a number of conclusions / assumptions I could make about your lack of knowledge on this subject - if I wanted to be snotty.  And I am real close to losing my temper enough to be snotty enough to get myself kicked out of here.

My belief is that there is no evidence for any entity that is unlimited.  No matter how you choose to define "unlimited".  None.  Therefore, no such entity exists in any reality that I can conceive of.  

Playing word games about how conceiving of such an entity necessarily means the entity exists, doesn't make it exist - not in this reality and not in any other reality that is within my comprehension. 

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

User is offlineOffline
cj wrote:More formally, a

cj wrote:

More formally, a relatively well-defined usage refers to a conditional statement with a false antecedent. One example of such a statement is "if Uluru is in France, then the Eiffel tower is in Bolivia". Such statements are considered vacuous because the falsity of the antecedent prevents one from using the conditional to infer the consequent. They are true because a material conditional is defined to be true when the antecedent is false (or the conclusion is true).

Okay, you didn't make the term up.  But the Wikipedia article says that this only applies to material conditionals; I made it clear early on in the argument that the first premise is not a material conditional.  Go back and read it.

Quote:
So, Mr. M, I have a number of conclusions / assumptions I could make about your lack of knowledge on this subject - if I wanted to be snotty.

Actually, I am quite good at propositional logic; I just never heard the term 'vacuous truth'.  Again, it cannot apply to my argument--at least to the premises where I specify that they are not material conditionals.

Quote:
My belief is that there is no evidence for any entity that is unlimited.

Again, in order for you to justify this, you need to disprove my argument.  Otherwise, my argument is evidence for an unlimited being--whether you wish to acknowledge it or not.

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
cj wrote: Mr. M, I do not

cj wrote:

Mr. M, I do not make stuff up.

Wiki goes on to say this is a valuable concept in mathematics (which is why I'm stuck studying it) and in classical logic.

So, Mr. M, I have a number of conclusions / assumptions I could make about your lack of knowledge on this subject - if I wanted to be snotty.  And I am real close to losing my temper enough to be snotty enough to get myself kicked out of here.

My belief is that there is no evidence for any entity that is unlimited.  No matter how you choose to define "unlimited".  None.  Therefore, no such entity exists in any reality that I can conceive of.  

Playing word games about how conceiving of such an entity necessarily means the entity exists, doesn't make it exist - not in this reality and not in any other reality that is within my comprehension. 

thumbs up

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Mr_Metaphysics

Mr_Metaphysics wrote:

Quote:
My belief is that there is no evidence for any entity that is unlimited.

Again, in order for you to justify this, you need to disprove my argument.  Otherwise, my argument is evidence for an unlimited being--whether you wish to acknowledge it or not.

I have disproved your argument - a limitless being is inconceivable and has no basis in reality.  And IMNSHO the entire argument is nothing more than playing with yourself to get the answer you want.  In science, this is called a career breaker.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

User is offlineOffline
cj wrote:I have disproved

cj wrote:

I have disproved your argument - a limitless being is inconceivable and has no basis in reality.  

Just proclaiming 'a limitless being is inconceivable' does not make it true.

What contradictions are inherent in the idea, specifically?

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
cj wrote: I have disproved

cj wrote:

I have disproved your argument - a limitless being is inconceivable and has no basis in reality.  And IMNSHO the entire argument is nothing more than playing with yourself to get the answer you want.  In science, this is called a career breaker.

It is not the first time that I have encountered someone that believes some sort of semantics word game somehow makes them some great thinker or some brilliant visionary and it certainly won't be the last.

At the bottom of it all, it's  just another unproven assertion that is not backed up by any hard evidence other than ferverent wishful thinking and a desire for something to be there and a refusal to accept they have nothing to go on. It's an old trick, an attempt to baffle people with B.S.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

User is offlineOffline
harleysportster wrote:It is

harleysportster wrote:

It is not the first time that I have encountered someone that believes some sort of semantics word game somehow makes them some great thinker or some brilliant visionary and it certainly won't be the last.

At the bottom of it all, it's  just another unproven assertion that is not backed up by any hard evidence other than ferverent wishful thinking and a desire for something to be there and a refusal to accept they have nothing to go on. It's an old trick, an attempt to baffle people with B.S.

The conclusion of the argument (it's not actually mine--it belongs to Charles Hartshorne and Norman Malcolm) is not that I am a brilliant visionary.  The conclusion of the argument is that God exists.  If the argument is sound, then that is hard evidence that God exists.

For any sound argument, either you accept the conclusion or you are illogical; the choice is yours.  Or perhaps you can be sensible and actually address one of the premises in the argument--just proclaiming that it's a 'trick' does not refute the argument.

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
Mr_Metaphysics wrote:You

Mr_Metaphysics wrote:

You just don't quit, do you?

Why?

Because of my zeal?

Because I love to expose liars?

I spent most of my life ignoring anything that didn't affect me directly.

Things changed when I had kids.

And I saw the deception your 'kind' (theists) engages in, when they attempt to tell the 'truth' to innocent children.

So, ya, now it's 'game on'.

Religion has got one less tool at their disposal, to just walk in to children's minds, and fill it to the brim with BS disinformation.

Your indignations are meaningless.

There's no room for petulance in science and technology.

It's an adult game.

We deal in reality.

So, if you want to compete with reality, bring your big boy boxers on, and let's see who's in the reality game, and who's out to lunch.

Don't try and get in the back door with Intelligent Design rebranding.

You're not in the 'truth' business, you're in the business of 'franchising'.

Mr_Metaphysics wrote:
Look, I have no interest in discussing anything with you.  

Don't care.

I'll carry on with, out without you.

I learned that from your 'kind'.

Mr_Metaphysics wrote:
I attempted to engage you, but you just continued to insult and hand wave

Oh, eat me.

You ran your mouth the moment you got into this thread, you POS.

Mr_Metaphysics wrote:

redneF wrote:

Thanks for that, mellestad.

I have little doubt that former theists are so forthcoming, that it will resonate with theists who struggle with the inconsistencies in the scriptures, and how science is providing more and more evidence that we are not, in fact, 'designed' by an intelligence, at all, and that we did evolve by mutation from simpler origins, and by natural selection, to more complex forms.

It will inevitably be offset by atheists, such as Antony Flew, converting to belief in God--despite the supposed 'inconsistencies' in the scriptures, or the supposed scientific evidence for naturalism, or the evidence for evolution.

I find your post to be incredibly rude, and it just makes atheists look like petulant little children.  If you really want to advance your position, then you need to be respectful.  Otherwise, you do nothing more than perpetuate the commonly perceived notion that atheists are just angry recalcitrant twits.

From what I can see, all you are doing is dressing up and pretending that your Christopher Hitchens--whose material, mind you, is hardly sophisticated or scholarly.  Perhaps you should read some Bertrand Russell, or Quentin Smith.

Mr_Metaphysics wrote:

...you couldn't even answer a simple question regarding a sound argument for God.  

I answered your question.

Twice.

What you weren't able to do, was box me in to your rabbit hole.

You think you're the only one who has experience debating?

You're not nearly as clever as you think you are.

Mr_Metaphysics wrote:

All the while, you continued fabricating, lying, misrepresenting, and being verbally abusive.

Call the wahhhhhmbulance.

Don't allege I did something, when you can quote me, and rebuke it.

Mr_Metaphysics wrote:

I have no interest in dealing with such people. 

You were abusive from the moment you got it this thread.

If you can dish it out, you better be able to take it, boy.

So stop telling me that you have no interest in dealing with people like me.

Mr_Metaphysics wrote:

I seriously think you have some sort of mental issue.  

You're not much of a philosopher, or intellect.

And now you want to take a stab at psychology do you?

Physician, heal thyself.

For thyself has a delusion.

Mr_Metaphysics wrote:

Yet you ignore that and say that I'm dodging, and that I have no integrity.  Do you really expect me to respond to that?

I don't expect anything.

Don't you get it?

I don't assume anything. It's not practical.

I don't expect anything from you.

I don't expect honesty and integrity from people like you.

Especially after they come in running their mouth, talking 'at' me, lecturing me on how I 'need' to be more this, and less that.

At that point, they've already told me, much about themselves, and I have a pretty good idea where they're convinced they have the authority to attempt to 'scold' me, for my freedom of expression.

Mr_Metaphysics wrote:

Maybe you aren't being serious.  

I have a hard time thinking that you're serious.

I can't believe you walking away from this, and not wondering how delusional you sound, if you think you've proved that there is a god.

I say that, because I analyze people. It's part of what I do, for a living.

Actions speak louder than words.

Why haven't you blogged your 'proof' of a god's existence?

There are millions of people who are question their faith.

Mother Teresa couldn't believe that a god was really there.

Why not share your 'proof' of a god?

You'd make history!

I know why.

Because it doesn't even truly convince you.

Mr_Metaphysics wrote:

Perhaps you are posting this tripe, printing the posts, and then for a laugh showing them to your colleagues at work; nobody could seriously act like this. 

Hey, that's my line!

Mr_Metaphysics wrote:

From here on out, I will be ignoring your posts. 

I'm not like someone who actually cares, y'know.

Mr_Metaphysics wrote:

Do not bother.  Do not waste your time--

Thanks for the tip, Sparky.

Mr_Metaphysics wrote:

I have no doubt that hours upon hours of your time goes into this.  Those are hours that you are never going to get back.

Awwww....

It's called 'being generous with my time', and 'giving something back'.

It's my pleasure to bust BS'ers like you, here, in writing. So others can have see what BS antics and tactics your 'kind' uses to mindfcuk people into drinking the koolaid.

You're not going to bury my comments with your drivel. I'm going to keep my posts close to yours, so everyone stays up to date on your status.

Deal with it.

Mr_Metaphysics wrote:

Take care,

Drop dead.

Mr_Metaphysics wrote:

...and tell your psychiatrist that he is a brave, brave man.

Why don't you publish your 'work' and let the scientific community analyze it?

How brave, brave are you, Mr_Mega BS'er?

Since you ignore questions that will cast you in a bad light, I'll just have to postulate the most 'logical' theory.

My theory is, because you know it won't stand up to scrutiny, and no one would take you seriously, in the academic world.

A world that I know well.

The world where I excel.

You know....the real world...

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline

Mr_Metaphysics wrote:

The conclusion of the argument (it's not actually mine--it belongs to Charles Hartshorne and Norman Malcolm) is not that I am a brilliant visionary.  The conclusion of the argument is that God exists.  If the argument is sound, then that is hard evidence that God exists.

And yet, there are still Atheists.

You did not have to tell me that the argument was not yours as I have seen these types of equations and read about them before. Nothing you have said has been proven to be original nor hard evidence.

You did not have to tell me that you are NOT a brilliant visionary, I concluded that very easily with the first couple of posts that you have made.

Now to be honest, some people may wish to play word games with you about limited and unlimited, but I do not feel the desire to waste my time with your nonsense.

I am done fooling with you.

― Giordano Bruno

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline

Mr_Metaphysics wrote:

For any sound argument, either you accept the conclusion or you are illogical; the choice is yours.  Or perhaps you can be sensible and actually address one of the premises in the argument--just proclaiming that it's a 'trick' does not refute the argument.

It looks like there are "problems" with your argument :

http://books.google.com/books?id=MNZqCoor4eoC&pg=PA79&lpg=PA79&dq=refuting+the+arguments+of+charles+hartshorne+and+norman+

malcolm&source=bl&ots=TThSTt4Ruv&sig=NfJ5sjaXuo57CO2-8AGrF39yVmA&hl=en&ei=s0FfTf-6I4KKlwe1sZmhDA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=5&sqi=2&ved=0CCkQ6AEwBA#v=onepage&q&f=false

― Giordano Bruno

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Mr_Metaphysics

Mr_Metaphysics wrote:

Quote:

I don't quite follow you.  I did not make an argument for the existence of the 'greatest conceivable argument', so what are you talking about?

I know you didn't, but I am saying that the only thing which is 'lesser' if God is not necessary is the arguments itself.

Quote:

Quote:

So?  

You are taking the conclusion of the argument as part of the input, making it by definition circular and self-referential, therefore of questionable validity at he very least.

This means it is NOT a sound argument.

Platinga acknowledged this, that it only 'proves' God if you accept the definition of God it assumes.

User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:I know you

BobSpence1 wrote:

I know you didn't, but I am saying that the only thing which is 'lesser' if God is not necessary is the arguments itself.

I'm sorry, but I still don't follow what you mean.

Quote:
You are taking the conclusion of the argument as part of the input, making it by definition circular and self-referential, therefore of questionable validity at he very least.

This means it is NOT a sound argument.

Nowhere is it assumed that 'God exists'; however, the conjunction 'God necessarily exists if he exists, and it is possible that God exists, and God exists if he possibly exists provided that he necessarily exists if he exists' strictly implies the conclusion--this is not begging the question anymore than 'It is cloudy if it rains, and it rains' begs the question with the conclusion 'It is cloudy'.

If you can show that one of the premises is inferred from the conclusion, or that it is possible that at least one of the premises is actually false, then you can rightfully advance this objection.

Quote:
Platinga acknowledged this, that it only 'proves' God if you accept the definition of God it assumes.

What he says is that the only way someone will accept the possibility premise is if s/he already believes in God; he does not say that the premise requires the prior assumption that God exists.  Many people who believe in God nonetheless believe that it is possible that he exists; however, Plantinga recognizes that no atheist is going to accept the possibility premise once s/he realizes how the argument works.

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
"God necessarily exists if

"God necessarily exists if he exists" is the assumption. 

"and God exists if he possibly exists provided that he necessarily exists if he exists"

The conclusion is that "God exists".

But this is dependent on God existing, as per the underlined, otherwise the conclusion fails.

So you only get the conclusion "God exists", if "God exists".

Do you seriously not see that????

If your only other justification is your personal experience, then you have nothing, since the personal experience of a finite, mortal brain cannot grasp directly a transcendental being. It only has the capability of experiences that can also be generated by finite brain mechanisms, and no way to determine what would really be manifestations of a transcendental experience as distinct from a hallucination or act of imagination, without reference to empirical data.

IOW, you have no justification for your belief system.

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline

Mr_Metaphysics wrote:

TGBaker wrote:

Anselm's argument  (which you might wanna add to yours) started with the idea of a supreme god in thought and attempted to make it necessarily so as true.

Anselm's argument is valid, but what makes it unsatisfactory for me is the idea that concrete existence is great-making over abstract existence.  While it is generally accepted that sex in reality is greater than a sexual fantasy, there are other situations where this becomes counterintuitive--for example, is an amoeba greater than Bayes Theorem? 

You could argue that George has an  idea that  "the Perfect Being exists entailing Its Own  ideal ontological argument" in his mind but fails to exist so in reality.  This idea itself presents to George an idea of a more perfect being  than "the idea of a perfect being that exists only in his mind" which is thus  limited by being just an idea in his mind.  It presents to George the idea of a Perfect Being that exists who is not limited as an idea in George's mind whose idea of Himself entailing his Own ideal ontological argument  supervenes the the perfect being that entails the ideal ontological argument in George's mind.

TO posit some wild ass Platonic-like ideas: Being is boundless and potential.  Existence is the actualization of being. An existent comes into and goes out of being.  Being is transcendent but supervenes existence.  Existence is manifest.  Number and ideas are transcendent but manifest as conditionals or limiters in existence. God does not exist since he is absolute Being. He Is.

Or not.

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
I've watched the numbers on this

thread spooling up for a while without ever opening it to see what all the fun was about. Hilarious. Surely this must be Red's Opus?

Personally, I can understand feeling a sense of vitriol towards monotheistic religious faith. I have moments of rage so heated I feel I could grind all churches and mosques into fine powder and throw them into the sea. Mr Met, however, is no Jean Chauvin and understanding the epistemologist's position better would be advantageous to us.

Foolishly I've recently been reading Fred Copleston's history of philosophy and his rampant confirmation bias not withstanding, you can see the dawn of the immaterial with Plato. In his defence, Plato had no comprehension and little interest in empiricism. I wonder whether he'd maintain the position of inherent immaterialism given our knowledge of particle physics? 

Were you a christian before you studied philosophy, Mr Met? I assume you were.

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

Atheistextremist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
You measure this 'limitless'

Mr_Metaphysics wrote:

cj wrote:

I have disproved your argument - a limitless being is inconceivable and has no basis in reality.  

property how?

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline
Mr_Metaphysics

Mr_Metaphysics wrote:

harleysportster wrote:

Yes but Hartshorne's interpretation of God is panentheisitc and not the classical theistic god.

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline

Mr_Metaphysics wrote:

cj wrote:

Just proclaiming 'a limitless being is conceivable' does not make it true.

See how easy that is?  I can not conceive of a limitless being.  Therefore, I can not believe the rest of your argument is true.  I don't really care that you can conceive of said being.  It is obvious that you can conceive of it and for some reason you believe your belief is sufficient reason for absolute truth.

It is only a reason for relative truth.  Truth for you and for the rest of the people who need an invisible friend.  I out grew the need years ago.

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
cj wrote: I can not

cj wrote:

I can not conceive of a limitless being.  Therefore, I can not believe the rest of your argument is true.  I don't really care that you can conceive of said being.  It is obvious that you can conceive of it and for some reason you believe your belief is sufficient reason for absolute truth.

It is only a reason for relative truth.  Truth for you and for the rest of the people who need an invisible friend.  I out grew the need years ago.

Which is why he would try and sidestep, and change the subject, everytime, when I asked 'According to whom?'

Garbage in = Garbage out

"Oh what a tangled web we weave, when at first we practice to deceive" : Shakespeare

User is offlineOffline
cj wrote:See how easy that

cj wrote:

See how easy that is?  I can not conceive of a limitless being.

The premise in my argument is 'it is possible that God exists'.

By declaring that God is 'inconceivable'--inasmuch that 'inconceivable' means 'possible' (Collins English Dictionary, 2009)--I take it that you mean that God is 'impossible'.  Therefore, in order for you to refute my argument, you need to tell me how the premise 'God exists' logically implies 'A & ~A'.

If by 'conceivable', you mean that you cannot understand 'God', then the only thing you prove is that you cannot grasp my argument, and therefore you should not respond to it unless you need clarification; God does not stop existing as soon you declare that you do not understand the notion.

Quote:
Therefore, I can not believe the rest of your argument is true.  I don't really care that you can conceive of said being.  It is obvious that you can conceive of it and for some reason you believe your belief is sufficient reason for absolute truth.

The soundness of my argument does not stand or fall upon one's belief.  I could very well declare, 'I cannot conceive of a cheeseburger', but this will not prevent people from making them.  Or if I say, 'I cannot conceive of Canada being our neighboring country', Canada is not going to magically start floating away.

Quote:

Relative truth?  Awesome!  From now on, it is only true for you that drinking cyanide will kill you; for me, however, it's true that drinking cyanide is healthy. I out grew the need for that years ago.

This is perhaps the worst refutation to an argument that I've ever seen, i.e., 'I don't need God; therefore, your argument is not true for me.'  I also do not need you.... and perhaps I should ignore you.... in which case, by your logic, you no longer exist!

You are a paradigm example of the sort of illogic that atheism leads to.  

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline

Mr_Metaphysics wrote:

cj wrote:

See how easy that is?  I can not conceive of a limitless being.

The premise in my argument is 'it is possible that God exists'.

By declaring that God is 'inconceivable'--inasmuch that 'inconceivable' means 'possible' (Collins English Dictionary, 2009)--I take it that you mean that God is 'impossible'.  Therefore, in order for you to refute my argument, you need to tell me how the premise 'God exists' logically implies 'A & ~A'.

You're equivocating.

The only place that needs to happen, is during a formal philosophical debate.

Your little 'rabbit hole'.

Outside of that, the onus is on the one putting forth the claim, to work to substantiate what they put forth. Not for others to work on what you put forth.

Welcome to the world outside your rabbit hole.

Mr_Metaphysics wrote:
If by 'conceivable', you mean that you cannot understand 'God', then the only thing you prove is that you cannot grasp my argument, and therefore you should not respond to it unless you need clarification;

The onus is on the one who puts forth the claim, to demonstrate that it's 'workable' before anyone will engage.

Mr_Metaphysics wrote:
God does not stop existing as soon you declare that you do not understand the notion.

Your claim doesn't simply 'default' to a reality, because someone fails your scrutiny of them.

Monkeys flying out your butt doesn't become a reality simply because no one can logically disprove it.

It only means you feel it's 'logical' (compared to another) to espouse, or adopt the premise as a reality.

Fool's Gold.

Mr_Metaphysics wrote:
You are a paradigm example of the sort of illogic that atheism leads to.  

False.

False allegation.

Equivocation.

Logical fallacy.

non sequitur.

You are in default.

You're a complete fraud.

That's been your whole 'game'.

Your intention was to test people, to qualify or disqualify them as being logical or illogical.

Your motive was to be able to make the determination/conclusion that atheists are illogical in their decision, and irrational in their decision to not adopt an ancient folklorish legend known as god, as a reality.

The 'proof of a god' was a red herring.

Problem is, you disqualfied yourself by being illogical, and equivocal.

Because your premise (god) is an equivocal legend, rumour, fable, fantasy.

Here's your chance to demonstrate your pure logic.

God exists, because (x).

Define x

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
You, Mr M, are a classic

You, Mr M, are a classic example of the misunderstanding of science and logic that leads to Theism.

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Mr_Metaphysics

Mr_Metaphysics wrote:

mellestad wrote:

mellestad wrote:

Mr_Metaphysics wrote:

mellestad wrote:

Quote:

My theism has nothing to do with apologetic arguments.  My theism is based on my own personal experiences, and I understand that they are neither provable nor falsifiable.  For precisely this reason, I am not using my own experiences as proof that God exists, because I realize that it is impossible to prove my experience of reality.  But this is the Atheist vs. Christian discussion board, and it calls upon me to defend my belief system.  If I cannot do it with my experience, then my only option is to do apologetics.

So what you are arguing here isn't even your reason for belief?  Why should any of us care if it isn't even convincing to you?

How do you expect to be honest with yourself if your best internal defense for belief is personal experience?

What I'm asking, and what you're not answering, is why anyone should care about this argument...it is pure navel gazing, distilled into a word game.  Can you *please* make an effort to explain to me what value this thought process holds?  Please?

Every time this shit comes up I go and Google around and I see hundreds of philosophers and none of them can agree on any of this stuff.  *That* is the core problem with an unfalsifiable claim like this...your field can't even agree on it, *your* discipline has been arguing about this shit for literally thousands of years and it still hasn't come any closer to a resolution.  *You've* found one variation personally convincing.  You can list philosophers that agree.  You can list philosophers that disagree.  We could lock all of them in a room and there would literally be no way for them to resolve the dilemma...they'd all say "I'm right!" and no minds would change.

You don't seem to be able to even make a statement about why the outcome of your semantic game even makes any difference....you acknowledge it doesn't have anything to do with your belief in deity, it doesn't impact anything...and another philosopher can spend their whole life studying this question, come up with the opposite answer, and guess what, it doesn't matter to that person either.  I'd really like to know what the point of this exercise is, how it helps us understand reality, how we can use it to better ourselves, how we can answer questions in a consistent manner...anything.

It seems obvious to me that there is no way to actually resolve this question logically, otherwise everyone who took philosophy 101 would get a little diagram that proves the idea and this whole debate would be mute, every serious philosopher would be a deist by default.  Obviously this is not the case.  So since the question can't be answered, maybe there is some value in the journey?

Can you help me understand why logic divorced from empiricism has merit?  Please?

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline
Guanilo's Island

Mr. Metaphysics,

I could find not refutation by Anselm of Guanilo's Island. I did find that commentators indicate that he alluded to the reason but never presented it. Plantinga obviously presented a refutation.

User is offlineOffline
TGBaker wrote:Mr.

TGBaker wrote:

Mr. Metaphysics,

I could find not refutation by Anselm of Guanilo's Island. I did find that commentators indicate that he alluded to the reason but never presented it. Plantinga obviously presented a refutation.

http://origin.web.fordham.edu/halsall/basis/anselm-gaunilo.html

User is offlineOffline
mellestad wrote:So what you

mellestad wrote:

So what you are arguing here isn't even your reason for belief?  Why should any of us care if it isn't even convincing to you?

You should care because it proves that God exists, and it shows belief in God is not irrational.

You are an atheist, and I have proven that atheism is false; does that not concern you?

Quote:
What I'm asking, and what you're not answering, is why anyone should care about this argument

If I was an atheist, I would care very much about any argument which proves that God exists.

Quote:
Every time this shit comes up I go and Google around and I see hundreds of philosophers and none of them can agree on any of this stuff.  *That* is the core problem with an unfalsifiable claim like this...your field can't even agree on it, *your* discipline has been arguing about this shit for literally thousands of years and it still hasn't come any closer to a resolution.  *You've* found one variation personally convincing.  You can list philosophers that agree.  You can list philosophers that disagree.  We could lock all of them in a room and there would literally be no way for them to resolve the dilemma...they'd all say "I'm right!" and no minds would change.

So belief for you is based on a general consensus?  That does not seem logical.

Quote:
You don't seem to be able to even make a statement about why the outcome of your semantic game even makes any difference....you acknowledge it doesn't have anything to do with your belief in deity, it doesn't impact anything...and another philosopher can spend their whole life studying this question, come up with the opposite answer, and guess what, it doesn't matter to that person either.  I'd really like to know what the point of this exercise is, how it helps us understand reality, how we can use it to better ourselves, how we can answer questions in a consistent manner...anything.

The point is that it proves the existence of God; the fact that this was not the reason that I became a theist is irrelevant.

Mellestad, do not take the brevity of my answers as disrespect.  It's just that you are asking really softball questions, and you simply couch them in all of this emotion (at this point, I'm not sure whether or not it's feigned) as if the points you are making are somehow germane to the central issue.  At the end of the day, my personal history does not matter nor does the consensus of the scholarly community nor does the utility of a particular belief system; can you give ma good reason why I should not believe in God, or why the arguments for God are unsound?

Atheistextremist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
How did you manage to do this

Mr_Metaphysics wrote:

You are an atheist, and I have proven that atheism is false; does that not concern you?

Mr Met? I've haven't seen any actual proof yet, just assertions based on no proof at all.