redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
How tALL is god?

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Lets see now..............

...........if man is made in gods image then the clown is 6' 2" and weights  250 lbs, but that is only from my point of view.  If I am in gods image I still haven't figured out the invisibility angle yet and I can't make a flood nor create a genocide eather.  God is not realy an image any sensible person would want to live up to.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
He is all tall.

He is all tall.

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
about 46 billion light years

about 46 billion light years

Oh wait, sorry, was reading from the 'pantheism' chapter...

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Here is what he looks like

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

greek goddess
Rational VIP!Science Freak
greek goddess's picture
User is offlineOffline
LOL, nice thread. If woman

LOL, nice thread. If woman is created in god's image too, then he (she?) is barely 5'1". Looks like I didn't get as much god as some other people. I should be outraged, but I kind of like being short (most of the time). 

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
greek goddess wrote:LOL,

greek goddess wrote:

LOL, nice thread. If woman is created in god's image too, then he (she?) is barely 5'1". Looks like I didn't get as much god as some other people. I should be outraged, but I kind of like being short (most of the time). 

Kinda odd that god goes through the trouble to form man out of dirt and then decides to form woman by taking someone's rib, I guess god was running low on dirt that day. Laughing out loud

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster wrote:greek

harleysportster wrote:

greek goddess wrote:

Kinda odd that god goes through the trouble to form man out of dirt and then decides to form woman by taking someone's rib, I guess god was running low on dirt that day. Laughing out loud

Well, if they were both formed from the same dirt, what would all the misogyny come from?  It has to come from *somewhere*, geeze.

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster wrote:greek

harleysportster wrote:

greek goddess wrote:

I think it was Stephen King that said (paraphrasing) "God must love bums, and rocks because there sure are a lot of them around."

"Don't seek these laws to understand. Only the mad can comprehend..." -- George Cosbuc

FortheLord (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
How tall is God?

How tall is God?  A very interesting question.  In reality, I find it difficult to measure how tall God really is.  Let's decide this from what I know to be true. God is bigger than all of my problems (That's pretty darn big). God is bigger than any mountain, ocean, universe, or galaxy.  The great creator must have seen His marvelous works as he created each one of them.  And for your information, God created you to.  He created the very mind that you dilingently ignore and disregard his very exsistance with.  He created the hands that you type blasphemic words against His holy name.  All this, and he still sent His son Jesus to die for you.  That is how tall God is.  Taller than anything you can ever do. 

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
greek goddess wrote:LOL,

greek goddess wrote:

LOL, nice thread.

I'm actually being serious.

I want theists to answer a simple, basic question. They want to assert that they have 'knowledge'.

Ok, so how tALL is this clown?

The scriptures say that he's 'appeared' a few times.

I want to know how big the ultimate baddass is.

Cause I just don't buy how tough he is.

He sounds like he would be a wimp with Napoleon Syndrome, with suppressed homosexuality tendencies, and erotic fantasies of black men being submissive to him.

Oh, and he sounds like he suffers from unresolved Madonna/Whore Complex.

This clown has got issues for sure.

greek goddess wrote:

If woman is created in god's image too, then he (she?) is barely 5'1". Looks like I didn't get as much god as some other people. I should be outraged, but I kind of like being short (most of the time). 

I think you would be justified in being angry.

He's going around the Universe, talkin' smack about how he gave 'birth' to it, when any fool knows that only women have the ability to gestate, and bring a life into 'being'.

If I were to believe in a 'god', she'd have to be a woman. 

Think about it.

They're Angels.

The clown that brags about being the 'creator', is probably a 'wham bam, thank you ma'am' deadbeat dad, and the poor single mom is left to try and manage the entire Universe all by herself.

Poor woman...

Ktulu wrote:

I think it was Stephen King that said (paraphrasing) "God must love bums, and rocks because there sure are a lot of them around."

Are you sure he didn't say 'boobs'?

Coz there sure are an awful lot of total boobs in this world...

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris

greek goddess
greek goddess's picture
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster wrote:Kinda

harleysportster wrote:

OMG yes! As a kid, I always wondered why that was. I think I once heard an explanation that basically boiled down to, it's because women are inferior to and dependent on man, and this is reflected in the way that they were formed? Don't even get me started on how sexist that is, but I guess it makes a modicum of sense. 

greek goddess
greek goddess's picture
User is offlineOffline
redneF wrote:I want theists

redneF wrote:

I want theists to answer a simple, basic question. They want to assert that they have 'knowledge'.

Ok, so how tALL is this clown?

Well, that is a good point. It's a shame that no theists have shown up yet, because I would actually be curious what their answers would be...

redneF wrote:

He sounds like he would be a wimp with Napoleon Syndrome, with suppressed homosexuality tendencies, and erotic fantasies of black men being submissive to him.

Best. Description. EVAR. 

You win the quote of the year.

redneF wrote:

He's going around the Universe, talkin' smack about how he gave 'birth' to it, when any fool knows that only women have the ability to gestate, and bring a life into 'being'.

Yes, quite true. This is maybe why other (mostly now defunct) religions worshipped womanhood and fertility, and some believed that it was a woman that started it all, and was "in charge." It makes more sense than god farting out a universe, or whatever he supposedly did. 

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline
greek goddess

greek goddess wrote:

harleysportster wrote:

OMG yes! As a kid, I always wondered why that was. I think I once heard an explanation that basically boiled down to, it's because women are inferior to and dependent on man, and this is reflected in the way that they were formed? Don't even get me started on how sexist that is, but I guess it makes a modicum of sense. 

When I was on the other side of the fence and in seminary we were trying to come up with non-sexist translations of theological statements. We would Use instead of the son of god the child of god. But I started to see a built in bias of the English language. When you try to get rid of the archaic use of mankind for both sexes and use humankind you still are using a gender bias word hu-MAN-kind! If you try person you still get a male dominated per-SON.  Even words for  a non-male come out that biased wo-MAN, fe-MALE.  All of these words equal less than a man.  We need a new language I'm afraid.  Girl, missy etc.; are often offensive and have dubious origins as well.

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whip cream."--Frank Zappa

http://atheisticgod.blogspot.com/ Books on atheism

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
greek goddess wrote:Well,

greek goddess wrote:

Well, that is a good point. It's a shame that no theists have shown up yet, because I would actually be curious what their answers would be...

Well, it doesn't surprise me that they wouldn't have thought of such a basic question. I mean, it's normal to wonder what someone must look like.

greek goddess wrote:

redneF wrote:

Best. Description. EVAR. 

You win the quote of the year.

I aim to please.

If there's any prize money, I promise to send it all to a charity for an education program for underprivileged children.

That'll dispell the fallacy that morals are 'objective', when morals and ethics are derived from deliberation and self discipline.

greek goddess wrote:
redneF wrote:

Yes, quite true. This is maybe why other (mostly now defunct) religions worshipped womanhood and fertility, and some believed that it was a woman that started it all, and was "in charge."

It just proves the misogynist pall that was cast over those cultures.

The other cultures that had goddesses were much more intriguing to me.

Fcuk some of those babes were sexy.

I would have loved to serve under them and worship them.

I guess the other religions, were mostly made up by men who really simply couldn't embrace and emotionally cope with the urges and sexual attraction to women, and the sensuality and lust that is intrinsic to women, and had to cast a pall over that.

I'm glad to live in the era that I'm in, when women emerged from behind that oppression, and really wanted to fully explore their sexuality and sensuality.

I know it makes muslim heads want to explode, and with christians not that far behind, when they think of libertines.

It actually makes it hotter, when there's that added element of 'taboo'.

Yummy...

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
God is supposed to be

God is supposed to be immaterial, it wouldn't register as a concept to most theists.  Jesus would likely be estimated as having average height for the time.

Honestly, from a theistic perspective the question is just a straw-man.

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
mellestad wrote:God is

mellestad wrote:

God is supposed to be immaterial, it wouldn't register as a concept to most theists.  Jesus would likely be estimated as having average height for the time.

The 'made in the image of God' thing still makes no sense from any perspective, IMHO.

The OP rightly ridicules the idea that it can refer to a physical likeness.

In terms of irrationality and cruelty and arrogance and hypocrisy and so on, we do match in kind but not degree the OT God in particular, but I have doubts that is what Theists would likely be referring to...

Maybe just the idea that we are thinking beings, but 'image of' suggests a far closer correspondence than that.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
mellestad wrote:God is

mellestad wrote:

No, it's not a strawman. It's an honest inquiry.

It's written that man has seen god, and that god stood before man.

In Genesis, Jacob says that he has seen god, face to face, and yet his life is still delivered.

Apparently god stood before Abraham.

In Exodus, it says that "god spoke to Moses, face to face, as a man speaks to his friend".

I'm just going by what's been written.

So, the god has shown himself to man, yet not much talk about WTF he looks like.

Isn't that bizarre?

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
redneF wrote:So, the god has

redneF wrote:

So, the god has shown himself to man, yet not much talk about WTF he looks like.

I wonder why Abraham, Isaac, Moses, Aaron or any of the rest of them never thought to ask him if he could create a rock so heavy that he could not lift it when they had the chance to meet him ?

Given god's maniacal, pathological and murderous tendencies, I wonder if there could have been some way that they could have posed this question ?

Gracious, Groovy, Mack-Daddy, All-Knowing, All -Powerful one, can you createth a rock that if it were to become so heavy thou shalt not be able to lift it ? 

Judging by god's gigantic ego, he should have been more than happy to perform. Unless he could not.

― Giordano Bruno

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
redneF wrote:mellestad

redneF wrote:

mellestad wrote:

No, it's not a strawman. It's an honest inquiry.

It's written that man has seen god, and that god stood before man.

In Genesis, Jacob says that he has seen god, face to face, and yet his life is still delivered.

Apparently god stood before Abraham.

In Exodus, it says that "god spoke to Moses, face to face, as a man speaks to his friend".

I'm just going by what's been written.

Isn't that bizarre?

Yes, it is potentially bizarre to an 'outsider' I'm just saying that, to a theist, it is going to sound like a stupid, meaningless question.  To them it is a straw-man because God is not physical, full stop.  That assumption is at the root, anything that potentially contradicts that is just going to be trivially explained.  They don't even care how.  

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well, good.Then it gives yet

Well, good.

Then it gives yet another demonstration how theists don't examine things critically, and with an open mind, and will then struggle to explain away the inconsistencies, in order to defend holding on to irrational beliefs.

That's my whole point with this thread.

They don't ask the questions that I did when I first heard about gods from others, when I was a kid.