Starcraft 2

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Starcraft 2

*cough* RPGs, like WOW, are for noobs that have no skillz. 

A game like Starcraft 2, on the other hand, actually requires intelligence and brainpower. Now, who's playing? 

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

B166ER
atheist
B166ER's picture
User is offlineOffline
Y'know, to be honest...

I really prefer the original StarCraft over this new one. It might just be that they spent 10+ years, and it doesn't seem like it was a wise use of time. The first one was so awesome, and number 2, in my opinion, just doesn't hold a candle to it.

As much as I love RTS games like Emperor: Battle for Dune, I'm more a 4X fan myself (Master of Orion II, Ascendancy, Sins of a Solar Empire) so I might not be the best person to ask!

But the badmouthing of RPG's (not including your legitimate grievances with Warcrack, since that one really does suck) is some fightin' words!

"This may shock you, but not everything in the bible is true." The only true statement ever to be uttered by Jean Chauvinism, sociopathic emotional terrorist.
"A Boss in Heaven is the best excuse for a boss on earth, therefore If God did exist, he would have to be abolished." Mikhail Bakunin
"The means in which you take,
dictate the ends in which you find yourself."
"Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government! Supreme leadership derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!"
No Gods, No Masters!

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Seriously? In what way is

Seriously?

In what way is Brood War better than Starcraft 2, at all? I like being able to select more than 12 units at a time.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

B166ER
atheist
B166ER's picture
User is offlineOffline
I wasn't talking about Brood War.

I was talking about the original game, not that expansion pack. I wasn't the biggest fan of Brood War.

butterbattle wrote:
I like being able to select more than 12 units at a time.

And I like fully 3D maps and interactive environments. Emperor: Battle for Dune - 1, StarCraft II - 0  XD

"This may shock you, but not everything in the bible is true." The only true statement ever to be uttered by Jean Chauvinism, sociopathic emotional terrorist.
"A Boss in Heaven is the best excuse for a boss on earth, therefore If God did exist, he would have to be abolished." Mikhail Bakunin
"The means in which you take,
dictate the ends in which you find yourself."
"Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government! Supreme leadership derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!"
No Gods, No Masters!

ubuntuAnyone
Theist
ubuntuAnyone's picture
User is offlineOffline
butterbattle wrote:*cough*

butterbattle wrote:

*cough* RPGs, like WOW, are for noobs that have no skillz. 

A game like Starcraft 2, on the other hand, actually requires intelligence and brainpower. Now, who's playing? 

I likes me some SC2. If it wasn't for games, I wouldn't use Windows.... I'm such a contradiction!!!!!!!!!!

“Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.”

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
I am or rather was, great

I am or rather was, great game but it just doesn't work on my pc anymore.

I bought it installed it, did 1 million things just to get it working and downloading the maps and then I have to format my pc, I reinstall do those million things again (port forwarding etc.) and It won't download the maps so I cannot play. Great game but blizzard hates me. Im sure I could get it working but the pain awesome ratio is pretty steep with all the problems it has given me.

Whatever goes upon two legs is an enemy.
Whatever goes upon four legs, or has wings, is a friend.
No animal shall wear clothes.
No animal shall sleep in a bed.
No animal shall drink alcohol.
No animal shall kill any other animal.
All animals are equal.

lalib
atheist
lalib's picture
User is offlineOffline
Woot! Starcraft and

Woot! Starcraft and Starcraft 2 are fun games. I must say, I'm quite the fan boy. My user name is "lalib" if anyone wants to mess around. Also, search Day9 if you enjoy watching pro sc2 games or just enjoy the pro gaming scene. 

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Well, I played quite a bit

Well, I played quite a bit of SC1, and I have SC2.

I'm sort of a care-bear though, I get stressed out in live matches.  I love the campaign, but once that is over I'm not that interested in playing more.  Playing skirmish maps against the AI gets old pretty quick, and I'm usually not interested in small group competition.  I enjoy watching replays and streams of high level gamers more than actually competing myself.  During the beta I watched tons of ladder matches and tournaments.  It is very cool how live casters can commentate.

Funny now that I think about it...I don't have any problem with FPS or MMO competition.  Maybe I just need to give it another shot.  Hmm.

Anyway, I've barely done any multi-player on SC2 (maybe 15 matches, most of those co-op vs. AI), so I don't even know how to add people to my friends list.  If anyone wants a newb to kick around, let me know and I'll try to figure it out.  My name in the game is Marius, but I'm not sure if that is my ID or something else.

----------------

Personally, I can't wait for Diablo 3.

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Well, I did not think that

Well, I did not think that I could play it on my computer as it is getting old enough that finding new games is not so easy today. That being said, I checked and I am in spec to play it. The only thing now is that $60 for a game is a bit on the steep side and that is for the download version.

I do have a couple of gamestops locally but finding PC games at either of them seems to require an employee as they are limited to one shelf only and that moves around the store as shelf placement is redone every time some publisher pays for prime space during a new product launch.

As far as the rant on MMOs goes, that is only really true for the lamest ones.

Sure, WOW is lame. That is probably the reason why it is the cash cow for Blizzard, thus making it easier for them to put resources into making other games (like SC2) worthwhile. Try playing EVE-online for a comparison.

Anyhow, I play all types of games. SoaSE is probably my favorite 4X game right now. Gameplay is quite good for the genre. That and Stardock has a unique approach to digital restriction management. They simply will not do it. As they say, it messes with paying customers and does nothing at all to slow down the non-paying players. Releasing a game for like $25 and making sure that it is a good game is probably why they have such a large base of people who have paid for it. They can do that because they do not have to pay a third party millions of dollars to protect the games from those who get them on torrents.

I am also a fan of FPS games. I recently started with Left for Dead 2. Although they are having an issue with the current patch, so I have it shelved for a couple of weeks until they fix the problem.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:

I am also a fan of FPS games. I recently started with Left for Dead 2. Although they are having an issue with the current patch, so I have it shelved for a couple of weeks until they fix the problem.

Oh man, I love to kill zombies.  Both Left 4 Dead games are great.

I like Stardock too...my problem with 4x games is they take such an enormous amount of time.  I've got both of the Stardock games, Sins and...whatever that other one is...Galciv.  I actually prefer Impulse over Steam, because they let you play if your Internet connection is down.  Stupid Steam.

My Steam ID is mellestad, if anyone else has L4D 1 or 2 we need to kill some zombies the godless way.

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
User is offlineOffline
 OK Mellestad, my steam

OK Mellestad, my steam name is Malpine Walis. Take the invite I just sent you and we can kill zombies together. After they fix the bug that causes the game to crash early for me.

Seriously, I have not been to the first save point in single player yet. The farthest that I have been that way is down the elevator to the floor that is on fire. If you still have LfD1, I can get that for $20 and however long it takes to DL.

Also, Stardock is more than you may be thinking. They also have a game called “Elemental” which is an over the shoulder shooter where you are, well, an elemental fighting arena style.

However, even before they were a gaming company, they were also a general software company.

Attention UbuntuAnywhere: If you don't already know this, go to the stardock website. They are the publisher for WindowBlinds and the basic DL comes with DesktopX included. It is comparable to KDE for windows.

OK, it is not the same but it feels better to run windows that way.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

=

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Sweet, RRS gamers

Sweet, RRS gamers unite!

Yea, Stardock has lots of stuff.  I never found a use for their GUI applications, but they look neat.  Neat company though.  I actually put their 4x games on laptops when I travel for work because they typically work on a non-gaming laptop with no Internet and you can waste an endless amount of time while stuck in airports.

One thing I like about Steam and Impulse is if you keep your eye open for their specials you can get some really great deals.  I think I bought every Bethesda game ever made for $60 a while back, and another pack with every ID software game for even less.

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
User is offlineOffline
OK, I ran all the bug fixes

OK, I ran all the bug fixes for L4D2.  One of them broke the game completely.  The reinstall should be done in a few minutes.  If that does not work, then there is the -lv switch that is supposed to get the game running in Aussie mode.  Which would be annoying but if that is what I have to do, then so be it.

I will let you know if I can run the game after that.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

=

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:

OK, I ran all the bug fixes for L4D2.  One of them broke the game completely.  The reinstall should be done in a few minutes.  If that does not work, then there is the -lv switch that is supposed to get the game running in Aussie mode.  Which would be annoying but if that is what I have to do, then so be it.

I will let you know if I can run the game after that.

Aussie mode?  Lol, something FX related then I guess.  Maybe your PC is insulted with the U.S. loading screen telling it to fuck off in Euro-speak.

If you get it working I'll be able to play tomorrow evening, PST.  I procrastinate as a hobby and as such Wednesdays are the chosen study days for this semesters class due to the quiz/midterm schedule.

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
User is offlineOffline
 Yah, that is an FX thing.

Yah, that is an FX thing. Australia will not allow the game in country the way that the rest of the world sees it. Apparently, if Aussies actually see real gore, they will have to go out and, well, nobody actually knows (not even their govt.) but something bad will happen.

So the -lv option handicaps the violence out of the game.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

=